Frontend Tech + >> MAMEUI & IV/Play
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

pottzman
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/17/15
Send PM

MAMEUI saving properties for drivers not workng
#357304 - 08/04/16 06:45 AM Attachment: mame.jpg 351 KB (0 downloads)

I currently have an issue with not being able to save properties for specific drivers.

eg. If I right click on Galaga '88 I can see that it uses the "namcos1.cpp" driver and if I select properties for namcos1.cpp it opens the namcos1.cpp properties window but when I set my preferred options and click ok to save them it saves the ini as galaga88.ini and not namcos1.cpp. Shouldn't it save them as namcos1.ini? The funny thing is if I change the name of the ini from galaga88 to namcos1 and run galaga88 it will use the settings from namcos1.ini so I know it uses these "parent" files if they are available but mame doesnt seem to be able to save them properly.

Does anybody else have this problem?

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: MAMEUI saving properties for drivers not workng new [Re: pottzman]
#357307 - 08/04/16 12:15 PM

Not only am I getting the same results, but my ini file is saved to the ini\presets folder. I may nuke all ini files later and try again later.

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

Re: MAMEUI saving properties for drivers not workng new [Re: redk9258]
#357310 - 08/04/16 02:41 PM

-

pottzman
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: MAMEUI saving properties for drivers not workng new [Re: Robbbert]
#357314 - 08/04/16 04:25 PM

Quote:

I should remove the "properties for source" option because it hasn't been supported for ages.

But if it hasn't been then why does it still recognize that the source ini (namcos1.ini) file is there and uses it as a baseline for all games that use that driver (galaga88.ini). Couldn't you add the feature back in mameui rather than remove it?

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#357326 - 08/05/16 12:08 AM

> I should remove the "properties for source" option because it hasn't been supported
> for ages.
>
> But if it hasn't been then why does it still recognize that the source ini
> (namcos1.ini) file is there and uses it as a baseline for all games that use that
> driver (galaga88.ini). Couldn't you add the feature back in mameui rather than remove
> it?

because they're baseline MAME features.

MAMEUI is a dead, decaying project and in terms of proper development has been for probably 10 years now. When things break because they're not maintained they tend to either get hacked out / removed, left non-working, or botched to kinda work usually resulting in more problems further down the line.

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Send PM

Re: MAMEUI saving properties for drivers not workng new [Re: Haze]
#357346 - 08/05/16 09:31 AM

-

Haze
Send PM

#357349 - 08/05/16 02:42 PM

Are you denying that is the case? because I'm pretty sure the majority of the dev team would agree with the statement.

It's seen no *real* advancements in a long time, it needs rewriting using proper modern code, not win9x era stuff. You ended up even having to hack out the memory initialization code from the entire emulator just to keep some UI code happy not long ago (and initialization is important - that's why the GCC6 bug in the latest version is so bad)

I'm not criticizing MAMEUI because I don't like the idea of MAMEUI, I actually think it's rather important to have a proper fully native integrated Windows version, I'm criticizing it because the one we have is just plain awful at this point in time (that didn't use to be the case, but things have moved on, significantly)

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Send PM

#357351 - 08/05/16 02:56 PM

-

Haze
Send PM

#357352 - 08/05/16 04:11 PM

The thing is, users are complaining, they're complaining about things that are the result of the code needing a rewrite because the design wasn't made to scale, or features no longer work as expected because they've decayed.

Also it will matter what's 'under the hood' not too long from now, unless things have changed since last time I used it, MAMEUI is barely usable on 4k displays because the interface doesn't scale well at all, because it's all done with win9x era code where none of that was a concern; it's like trying to run Office 97 or something on a similar machine.

I've really seen no evidence that the project is doing much except barely staving off death.

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Send PM

#357354 - 08/05/16 04:24 PM

-

AKUMA™
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/14
Send PM

#357356 - 08/05/16 04:35 PM Attachment: mameshit.png 299 KB (0 downloads)

How about fixing the bug in mame that causes the in-game menu to suddenly display off the bottom of the screen after tabbing out of it once then trying to go back? It happens even with a default install, and occasionally will cause the last game to be played to lack sound if you try to run it again. I mean, is that a result of MAMEUI or just shitty mame code? It seems like every release of mame has some stupid bug in it anymore. Maybe we need a new team of devs to work on Mame since it's obvious the assholes we have can't get along, and are incompetent to an extent. I'm just saying from personal observation over the years. You guys are old and maybe it's time to hang it up and pass the torch to everyone's benefit.

As for the driver settings not being saved, it works in Mame32fx, but mamesick got sick of mame and let it go. Maybe it would be worth getting his source code and using that since it is way better than Mameui anyway.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

pottzman
MAME Fan
Send PM

#357357 - 08/05/16 04:35 PM

Sorry didn't mean to start a small war here. Anyway thanks for listening Robert if you decide to fix the functionality of mameui but if you decide remove it its totally cool too.

cheers

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Send PM

Re: MAMEUI saving properties for drivers not workng new [Re: AKUMA™]
#357358 - 08/05/16 04:44 PM

-

Haze
Send PM

#357360 - 08/05/16 05:32 PM

> > How about fixing the bug in mame that causes the in-game menu to suddenly display
> off
> > the bottom of the screen after tabbing out of it once then trying to go back? It
> > happens even with a default install, and occasionally will cause the last game to
> be
> > played to lack sound if you try to run it again. I mean, is that a result of MAMEUI
> > or just shitty mame code? It seems like every release of mame has some stupid bug
> in
> > it anymore. Maybe we need a new team of devs to work on Mame since it's obvious the
> > assholes we have can't get along, and are incompetent to an extent. I'm just saying
> > from personal observation over the years. You guys are old and maybe it's time to
> > hang it up and pass the torch to everyone's benefit.
>
> That bug is in MAME, nothing to do with MAMEUI.
> There's no need to "pass the torch", the fact is the code is available for anyone to
> copy and improve upon. Therefore you can step up and fix whatever you want to fix.
> But I bet you won't.
>

actually it's a bug in the compiler, it optimizes away the memory clearing, there's a workaround in the current code however.

although yes, changing compiler right before release is about as dumb as you can get.

acdacd
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/08/08
Send PM

#357384 - 08/06/16 05:19 PM

Mame is so perfect that with last git code, is impossible to compile on 32 bit.
Driver mpu4.cpp and bfm_sc4.cpp with -O3 optimization, require more than 2gb of ram and crash 32 bit compiler.

Haze, you aren't a Mamedev anymore, shut the fuck up.

Haze
Send PM

Re: MAMEUI saving properties for drivers not workng new [Re: acdacd]
#357390 - 08/06/16 08:22 PM

> Mame is so perfect that with last git code, is impossible to compile on 32 bit.
> Driver mpu4.cpp and bfm_sc4.cpp with -O3 optimization, require more than 2gb of ram
> and crash 32 bit compiler.
>
>
>
> Haze, you aren't a Mamedev anymore, shut the fuck up.

So? I unsubscribed from the team, that doesn't make anything I've said any less valid.

and yes, some changes were put in that significantly increase the amount of memory ROM loading statements take to compile, those drivers have a lot of sets, so a lot of ROM loading statements.

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Send PM

#357406 - 08/07/16 02:51 AM

-

pottzman
MAME Fan
Send PM

#357418 - 08/07/16 12:15 PM

thanks Robbbert. I knew that mame still used this kind of ini file heirarchy because when I manually changed the name of the ini file to match the source driver name mame then used these settings for all games using its driver. That was why I was ***hoping*** that you could get that functionality back into mameui as it is already there but obviously not working the way it should and (couldn't it just be contained within the MAMEUI code) just make 1 more reason for me to continue using MAMEUI. However I see you point regarding source drivers that are named the same as a game. Are you thinking of taking over mameuifx too! king of the mameui's haha.

Pages: 1

Frontend Tech + >> MAMEUI & IV/Play
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert 
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3088