Pages: 1

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Facebook, you're scaring me!
#357404 - 08/07/16 02:30 AM

Under "People You May Know" there are people I knew a long time ago (before facebook even existed) with whom I've had zero contact, and with whom I have zero mutual friends, groups, or interests. We don't even live in the same geographical area!

How the hell, Facebook? How the hell?

One is an ex-girlfriend from way back when, with whom I'd just assume keep in the past, one is a painter who painted my house about a decade ago, and another is an artist I did a collaboration with about 20!!! years ago!

Seriously! It's superfrraky Facebook, out of the billions of users, suggested these three people to me. How the FUCK would Facebook guess a history there!?!

Maybe one of you is there, and I just don't know it!

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Facebook, you're scaring me! new [Re: GatKong]
#357405 - 08/07/16 02:36 AM

Sounds exactly on par for today's micro-targeting with advertisements. It's one step away from staring in a John Carpenter movie. Have your cell phone wherever you go and get ready for the shitshow. You've been hacked.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

#357408 - 08/07/16 03:06 AM

> Under "People You May Know" there are people I knew a long time ago (before facebook
> even existed) with whom I've had zero contact, and with whom I have zero mutual
> friends, groups, or interests. We don't even live in the same geographical area!
>
> How the hell, Facebook? How the hell?
>
> One is an ex-girlfriend from way back when, with whom I'd just assume keep in the
> past, one is a painter who painted my house about a decade ago, and another is an
> artist I did a collaboration with about 20!!! years ago!
>
> Seriously! It's superfrraky Facebook, out of the billions of users, suggested these
> three people to me. How the FUCK would Facebook guess a history there!?!
>
> Maybe one of you is there, and I just don't know it!

That site, somehow, managed to suggest my late brother and his wife, and my brother's daughters. The only things we have in common are our last names, and even then, he used both last names while I only used the one.

I NEVER contacted either one via the internet. In fact, they have no idea what the hell I actually get to down here. Nobody except a cousin / niece who is basically my kid sister knows about these things I'm into. Strangely (or thankfully) it didn't try matching me up with all the people from college who hated my guts.

Facebook is freaky.

jibmums
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/24/09
Send PM

#357411 - 08/07/16 05:06 AM

The only thing I can imagine is that they might have remembered you and plugged your name into Facebook's "search" feature, without having then gone so far as to "like" anything or send you a friend request. If that's not it, then yeah, freaky, man.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: Facebook, you're scaring me! new [Re: Foxhack]
#357412 - 08/07/16 05:09 AM

> > Under "People You May Know" there are people I knew a long time ago (before
> facebook
> > even existed) with whom I've had zero contact, and with whom I have zero mutual
> > friends, groups, or interests. We don't even live in the same geographical area!
> >
> > How the hell, Facebook? How the hell?
> >
> > One is an ex-girlfriend from way back when, with whom I'd just assume keep in the
> > past, one is a painter who painted my house about a decade ago, and another is an
> > artist I did a collaboration with about 20!!! years ago!
> >
> > Seriously! It's superfrraky Facebook, out of the billions of users, suggested these
> > three people to me. How the FUCK would Facebook guess a history there!?!
> >
> > Maybe one of you is there, and I just don't know it!
>
> That site, somehow, managed to suggest my late brother and his wife, and my brother's
> daughters. The only things we have in common are our last names, and even then, he
> used both last names while I only used the one.
>
> I NEVER contacted either one via the internet. In fact, they have no idea what the
> hell I actually get to down here. Nobody except a cousin / niece who is basically my
> kid sister knows about these things I'm into. Strangely (or thankfully) it didn't try
> matching me up with all the people from college who hated my guts.
>
> Facebook is freaky.

For one thing, we know that if people look for you on the service, the service may recommend them to you. To a certain extent, but algorithms do consider it.

Also, do not underestimate the syncing of phonebooks and addressbooks that people permit the smartphone apps to do. That gives their social graph all matter of useful information.

LinkedIn's connection recommendations are even spookier, in my experience.

- Stiletto

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

#357413 - 08/07/16 05:11 AM

I suspect those three persons searched for you before they appeared in your suggested friends. Or they searched for a group page you did too. Facebook is scary, but not as scarier and freaky like those users who spend a lot of time tagging their photos and writing full names on every face without your consent. Those people (usually women) have not respect for any kind of privacy.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: Facebook, you're scaring me! new [Re: Stiletto]
#357424 - 08/07/16 01:08 PM

> Also, do not underestimate the syncing of phonebooks and addressbooks that people permit the smartphone apps to do.

Yeah, I don't let my phone do that at all. Not even my gmail (nor do I have any 'circles'...). I also have gps turned off, and I don't use it to find anything.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: Facebook, you're scaring me! new [Re: BIOS-D]
#357425 - 08/07/16 01:18 PM

> I suspect those three persons searched for you before they appeared in your suggested
> friends. Or they searched for a group page you did too. Facebook is scary, but not as
> scarier and freaky like those users who spend a lot of time tagging their photos and
> writing full names on every face without your consent. Those people (usually women)
> have not respect for any kind of privacy.

Yeah, I stopped by my facebook page, which I have done nothing with, and found a message asking if I had run a deli on some street in some town.

I looked it up using google, and as far as I can tell this woman, who posted the question two years ago, had been looking for my grandfather. Not my father, who had co-owned a deli on a corner in Newark.

None of the people I may know are people I know, except for some that might be people here.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: Facebook, you're scaring me! new [Re: TriggerFin]
#357432 - 08/07/16 05:16 PM

> I looked it up using google, and as far as I can tell this woman, who posted the
> question two years ago, had been looking for my grandfather. Not my father, who had
> co-owned a deli on a corner in Newark.

Both your grandfather and your father owned delis? ... way to break the streak, Trig...

- Stiletto

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: Facebook, you're scaring me! new [Re: Stiletto]
#357434 - 08/07/16 06:41 PM

> > I looked it up using google, and as far as I can tell this woman, who posted the
> > question two years ago, had been looking for my grandfather. Not my father, who had
> > co-owned a deli on a corner in Newark.
>
> Both your grandfather and your father owned delis? ... way to break the streak,
> Trig...
>
> - Stiletto

If my father hadn't run off....

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1618