Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

no rally for the 'roo this time around
#361049 - 12/07/16 02:08 PM

Headline: Taronga zoo says it will not fire keeper filmed punching kangaroo

And the article...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/d...nching-kangaroo

And vid clip shows what took place when dog was held in kangaroo's grasp. The men were out hunting wild pigs and one of the dogs went after a kangaroo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIRT7lf8byw

My take is if it weren't real life and instead a Leslie Nielsen comedy movie scene, then maybe it could be considered a somewhat amusing comedy moment in a movie. I had never seen something like a dog being held by a kangaroo before nor seeing a kangaroo punched like what happened in the video. imo It looked like a Rowan and Martin 1960s tv show "Laugh In" comedy skit moment.

btw info of: "Rally roo" is a rally cry thing for MLB Pittsburgh Pirates fan site "Bucs Dugout" during a game thread whenever Pirates are trailing a baseball game in late innings such as 7th inning or later. I expect a lot of that after Pirates basically give away their star outfield player Andrew McCutchen before 2017 season. Nutting ownership of Pirates is hardly any better than when McClatchy owned the club from years 1994 to 2007. One of the reasons why Bucs had a 20 year season of losing. Very little money being spent including draft selections of quality players.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

What an asshole. new [Re: gregf]
#361154 - 12/10/16 07:22 AM

Stupid Man butthurt his dog is being held down.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: What an asshole. new [Re: Traso]
#361183 - 12/11/16 05:25 PM

Seriously? Scaring it away with a tap is an asshole? Shooting it would have been an asshole move. This was as humane as it gets. I think you're nuts.

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

#361185 - 12/11/16 09:15 PM

> Stupid Man butthurt his dog is being held down.

He just hit the animal in the face once to clam it down.

Other wise that animal would be punching him all over.

He wasn't being mean at all.

I didn't see him jump on it and then beat it to death. If he did then he an asshole.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

The roo was playing...... new [Re: Smitdogg]
#361239 - 12/14/16 06:53 AM

The guy was abusive. There was no apparent danger, he just had to walk away.

Or, if we want to be Final about: if they hadn't been out hunting for no reason, there would've been no incident.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

& they should've had a peaceful dialogue... new [Re: Traso]
#361248 - 12/14/16 10:34 AM

> The guy was abusive. There was no apparent danger, he just had to walk away.
>
>
> Or, if we want to be Final about: if they hadn't been out hunting for no reason,
> there would've been no incident.

:29 in the vid. See the roo try to kick the dog? Why would an animal out in the wild (referring to the kangaroo if it isn't obvious, and not the dog) just be "playing"?

*insert condescending Wonka meme here*

You've lived in Australia yourself for a long enough time and interacted with wild kangaroos to know them better than the guy in the vid?

Please enlighten us, oh Kangaroo Whisperer.

Quote:

Are kangaroo dangerous?
The punching of the front legs is pretty harmless, but the powerful hind legs with their long sharp toenails are a dangerous weapon. Kangaroos can disembowel opponents, be it other kangaroos or predators like dogs.

LEVEL-4

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

Re: The roo was playing...... new [Re: Traso]
#361269 - 12/15/16 10:09 AM

> The guy was abusive. There was no apparent danger, he just had to walk away.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Big kangaroos can be very dangerous. Their arms look small / weak, but they are amazingly strong and their claws are sharp and can easily open up your skin. Their back legs have big claws, and they lean back on their tail and lash out with their powerful legs - great for disembowl their enemies.

Even little wallabies can cause nasty injuries with their claws and powerful legs.

Wild animals are wild. Even the cute ones can be tough and become nasty if they feel threatened. You try and catch a wild koala and see what happens. It will rip your fecking arms up for sure ! (Been watching a lot of Father Ted lately).

> Or, if we want to be Final about: if they hadn't been out hunting for no reason,
> there would've been no incident.

They were out hunting wild pigs. Wild pigs do enormous damage in national parks and are very dangerous for farm stock and dogs and people. Wild pigs do so much damage that some farmers will pay you to come and shoot wild pigs on their land. You come across a wild pig when you are out walking then you'd better get up a tree fast or shoot it or something, otherwise you are probably going to get hurt.

Moose

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Sure as shite, Australia, proof God has a twisted sense of humor [nt] new [Re: Moose]
#361275 - 12/15/16 04:39 PM

LEVEL-4

Robbbert
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

nvm new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#361276 - 12/15/16 05:01 PM

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#361288 - 12/16/16 06:00 AM

You're a fucking idiot. Wild kangaroos don't play - it would've disemboweled the dog given much more time. It'd already ripped the skin off the dog's shoulder. You don't mess around with wild kangaroos, they balance on their tails and kick with their powerful back legs. Punching it in the face would've shocked it, because they're not used to that kind of attack, so it gave the guy a chance to GTFO. The roo will be OK, his ego won't be too hurt.

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

What part of DISEMBOWEL don't you understand?! [nt] new [Re: Traso]
#361303 - 12/16/16 06:36 PM

> Stupid, Man.

Yeah, running this into the ground. j/k

LEVEL-4

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: What part of DISEMBOWEL don't you understand?! [nt] new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#361304 - 12/16/16 07:07 PM

Traso should take extra precaution and heed the warnings of the hind leg attacks while he sneaks up on kangaroos to rate their butt shape based on a number of insane criteria.

Let's run this shitshow into the ground.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

They look like brothers...... new [Re: Robbbert]
#361317 - 12/17/16 02:02 AM

You know, from the back. Anyways, that seems unusual. The roo trains with a bag? For what? Maybe to occupy him, but I've not seen any animal built like that. And when humans are, they've been roiding....... I have the feeling there's some illegal gaming going on with that roo......

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: The roo was playing...... new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#361318 - 12/17/16 02:08 AM

> You're a fucking idiot. Wild kangaroos don't play - it would've disemboweled the dog given much more time. It'd already ripped the skin off the dog's shoulder. You don't mess around with wild kangaroos, they balance on their tails and kick with their powerful back legs. Punching it in the face would've shocked it, because they're not used to that kind of attack, so it gave the guy a chance to GTFO. The roo will be OK, his ego won't be too hurt.

Perhaps, but I didn't see that in its body language. I think all the guy had to do was back away. Still, I would go out there with a staff. No reason to be that close.

As for the wild pig thing, there's wild pigs all round town here now. Opened my door several years ago because I heard munching outside, and there was a javelina eating oak berries on my doorstep. Looked at me, I looked at it, I closed the door. It ate to its content, then left. Also, in the 90s when I was in college, they'd be out during the day eating from the shrubs around the campus. Could easily be within six feet and nothing would happen if you were mellow.

Now the hunting bit. There are various methods of handling the environment. One easy way to remedy all that stuff is to harvest insects as protein source. I found a bar the other day that is made with cricket protein. I think I haven't tried it yet, but I look forward to it.

Also, make sure there are spacious, dedicated areas for wild life. In my neighborhood growing up, there were deserts just down the street, but we saw very little wild life from them in the neigborhood. Since they developed those deserts, of course that has changed.

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

#361321 - 12/17/16 02:23 AM

> Perhaps, but I didn't see that in its body language. I think all the guy had to do
> was back away.

I'm thinking the roo would've stayed within range of the (hoo)man. You know, "A new challenger has appeared!" and all. Testosterone, in any species, has the propensity to make one act like they're tough.

The true victor will always be the one that's fighting for the greater good, and not just to look/feel macho.

Edited by Tomu Breidah (12/17/16 02:23 AM)

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

#361355 - 12/18/16 02:22 AM

>Could easily be within six
> feet and nothing would happen if you were mellow.

Then there's absolutely no way in hell they were true wild pigs. They were either domesticated pigs or else semi-wild pigs running free that were used to being around humans / living in a semi-urban environment.

Anyhow, even when everyone else is telling you "red is red" you still want to believe "red is green", so believe what you want.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

#361363 - 12/18/16 08:05 AM

>butthurt his dog is being held down.

I agree with what Smit posted. imo the outcome in the video was probably the next best case scenario being played out even though it meant the kangaroo got punched. The best case scenario would have been for the man to be able to walk back and away from the kangaroo without punching, but I am not sure if that would have been possible because the kangaroo still might have charged at the man.

The learning lesson in this is the dog that was held down by kangaroo is probably a dog not really ideal for a hunting dog. When as a kid back in 1970s, one of the neighbors who was an avid hunter had once told me that some hunters have a sense of which dogs to take for a hunting trip and the dog is smart enough to avoid animals that could pose a problem when out in the wild. I didn't ask for further details about his statement, but he was knowledgeable imo and was straightforward and honest.

I don't care for sport rifle hunting myself, but I can see why it is necessary in some instances such as trying to remove invasive species that do not belong in a certain region. I would prefer trapping and relocating instead of shooting.

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Re: What an asshole. new [Re: gregf]
#361376 - 12/18/16 02:54 PM

> I would prefer trapping and relocating instead of shooting.

Does not compute. When I hunt, I kill and then I eat.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: The roo was playing...... new [Re: Moose]
#361459 - 12/20/16 02:01 AM

> > Could easily be within six
> > feet and nothing would happen if you were mellow.
>
> Then there's absolutely no way in hell they were true wild pigs. They were either
> domesticated pigs or else semi-wild pigs running free that were used to being around
> humans / living in a semi-urban environment.
>
> Anyhow, even when everyone else is telling you "red is red" you still want to believe
> "red is green", so believe what you want.

I think you're speaking from a standpoint of fear. Also, I'd guess you're not combat-trained. Third, you probably like dogs. So your rendering of the event is limited.

I treat all creatures as animals, and handle each accordingly, which is why I typically don't get myself run into these kinds of circumstances. And have come out unscathed when I have.

This is what I saw:

Homeboys are out redneckin it up - same there as it is here, right? - and one of their dogs gets himself pinned by a kangaroo. A trained dog stays away from non-game. Then dumbass himself goes out there and has a hurt dick that his dog has done something dumb. Whether the dog caused the event, animals are not people. Boo hoo. And then homie leaves without a defensive tool. They likely know such an encounter is likely.

So anyway he does well and gets the roo to release the dog. And then he stands there. Probably transfixed, because he's not afraid. He's geared up. And his dog was hurt anyways.... : /\I The Animal takes Hold of Him, and he's going to beat that boy up!

And the roo's just standing there. Gets fucking socked, and obviously is like, 'what the fuck did you do that for? I was standing here, and your dog comes and bothers me', perhaps tried to hurt him, '...and then you punch me in the face?'

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: What an asshole. new [Re: URherenow]
#361460 - 12/20/16 02:05 AM

> > I would prefer trapping and relocating instead of shooting.
>
> Does not compute. When I hunt, I kill and then I eat.

Outside of gassing regions, reducing the number of animals is not going to help things. Dedicated wildlife areas will. Then let whatever happen, as it would normally.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

I watched this again.... new [Re: Traso]
#361724 - 12/24/16 11:39 PM

And it's pretty much like I said. Doesn't have a pole to release the dog so he has to get close. He gets the dog loose, then instead of walking, or perhaps backing, away, he stays around to fight with the roo. The roo isn't serious, but he doesn't know what this bigger animal is going to do, so of course he faces him.

Unless you're not where you're supposed to be or something, animals typically don't fuck with you. Of course, if they do, wild or domesticated, I'm prepared to kill them, like I'd kill a person if I had no alternative. Deadly force, yo. And love otherwise....unless they don't want love, and then they can WALK.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: I watched this again.... new [Re: Traso]
#361725 - 12/24/16 11:56 PM

> And it's pretty much like I said.

The only universe in which the situation is "pretty much like you said" is the shitty one in your own head. You don't live in Australia, you don't know the first fucking thing about kangaroos, and yet here you are insisting that you somehow know better than multiple people who actually live there. Fuck you.

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

This roo is chilling. new [Re: gregf]
#361727 - 12/25/16 12:07 AM Attachment: ss.jpg 111 KB (0 downloads)

No attack involve.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Yeah, he just smoked a big doob wi' Smittae! (nt) new [Re: Dullaron]
#361731 - 12/25/16 12:46 AM

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: I watched this again.... new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#361733 - 12/25/16 01:00 AM

> > And it's pretty much like I said.
>
> The only universe in which the situation is "pretty much like you said" is the shitty one in your own head. You don't live in Australia, you don't know the first fucking thing about kangaroos, and yet here you are insisting that you somehow know better than multiple people who actually live there. Fuck you.

Fuck me?? No. Fuck you. With ribbons and tassles, \\\ cos I like it like that ///.

I know animals, I know humans. Notice how you make it personal. Let the animal go....

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2689