MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Pico de gallo goes better with scrambled eggs than salsa
#364479 - 03/20/17 03:49 PM

Pico de goddamn gallo! Which of course is Spanish for pico the goddamn gallo.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Cila[nt]ro new [Re: Smitdogg]
#364499 - 03/20/17 08:38 PM

mm?

LEVEL-4

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/19/10
Loc: The Room Next To You
Send PM

Re: Pico de gallo goes better with scrambled eggs than salsa new [Re: Smitdogg]
#364500 - 03/20/17 09:04 PM

...... I thought pico de gallo WAS salsa?

----------------------
I have officially retired from sucking at everything I do. Life is much easier now.

My MAME/MESS artwork files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ABxeKgNIrKlIsyck7dx4V241NFQDWAF4
Related screen shots: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U5IbvbVzYW97PuOOQuocvZFE_YJz7WIn

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Pico de gallo goes better with scrambled eggs than salsa new [Re: Nightvoice]
#364501 - 03/20/17 09:10 PM Attachment: PDG.jpg 113 KB (0 downloads)

It's sort of like salsa but a specific mixture and there's no sauce, at least not in any that I've had. It's just chopped tomato/onion/serranos or other hot pepper/cilantro/bit of lime juice. It's fucking delicious on scrambled eggs, really outstanding.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Usted está culeado en la cabeza, señor. *nt* new [Re: Smitdogg]
#364502 - 03/20/17 09:17 PM

> Pico de goddamn gallo! Which of course is Spanish for pico the goddamn gallo.

Friggin' gringos, seriously.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Usted está culeado en la cabeza, señor. *nt* new [Re: Foxhack]
#364503 - 03/20/17 09:56 PM

Hey how come Mexicants can't even pronounce their own frigging country name? You start off good with the M sound but by the time you get to the X everything has gone to shit. "May Heekan from May Heeko". I mean did you all star in that Daniel Day-Lewis movie Last of the May Heekans? What is it about the X that fucks you up, you can't put your teeth together or what's going on?

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

#364504 - 03/20/17 10:05 PM Attachment: refried-bean-tostada-steps.jpg 104 KB (0 downloads)

> It's sort of like salsa but a specific mixture and there's no sauce, at least not in
> any that I've had. It's just chopped tomato/onion/serranos or other hot
> pepper/cilantro/bit of lime juice. It's fucking delicious on scrambled eggs, really
> outstanding.

Now I'm hungry. But I would never mixture it with eggs, that's just nuts. I prefer it topping over a tostada with refried beans. I would remove the cheese then add head cheese and more lemon to the mix.

What you are talking about are Mexican eggs ("huevos a la mexicana". Scrambled eggs fried with chopped tomato, onion and tree chill.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Pico de gallo goes better with scrambled eggs than salsa new [Re: BIOS-D]
#364506 - 03/20/17 10:10 PM

Well, salsa on scrambled eggs has gotten so popular in the US that I've seen it done even at breakfast bars in hotels and tomato is a very common ingredient (perhaps the most common next to cheese) in omelets here. I've done all types of salsas and pico de gallo takes the cake. It's the ultimate.

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/19/10
Loc: The Room Next To You
Send PM

#364509 - 03/20/17 11:48 PM

Pico de gallo sort of works with everything. My wife and I decided a while back to start making Qdoba naked burritos at home (made possible by Wal-Mart selling cans of queso blanco in the Mexican section) and we always give it a generous helping of pico. So I was making her eggs one morning and some pico de gallo and leftover cilantro-lime rice found its way onto the plate and she raved about it.

----------------------
I have officially retired from sucking at everything I do. Life is much easier now.

My MAME/MESS artwork files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ABxeKgNIrKlIsyck7dx4V241NFQDWAF4
Related screen shots: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U5IbvbVzYW97PuOOQuocvZFE_YJz7WIn

Foxhack
Furry guy
Send PM

#364512 - 03/21/17 05:20 AM

> > It's sort of like salsa but a specific mixture and there's no sauce, at least not
> in
> > any that I've had. It's just chopped tomato/onion/serranos or other hot
> > pepper/cilantro/bit of lime juice. It's fucking delicious on scrambled eggs, really
> > outstanding.
>
> Now I'm hungry. But I would never mixture it with eggs, that's just nuts. I prefer it
> topping over a tostada with refried beans. I would remove the cheese then add head
> cheese and more lemon to the mix.
>
> What you are talking about are Mexican eggs ("huevos a la mexicana". Scrambled eggs
> fried with chopped tomato, onion and tree chill.

See, "huevos a la mexicana", in my hometown at least, is eggs with salsa (the sauce kind, not the kind Smitty posted) on top. The kind he posted isn't that common here, that kind of pico de gallo is usually part of a lunch or dinner.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Send PM

Re: Usted está culeado en la cabeza, señor. *nt* new [Re: Smitdogg]
#364513 - 03/21/17 05:21 AM

> Hey how come Mexicants can't even pronounce their own frigging country name? You
> start off good with the M sound but by the time you get to the X everything has gone
> to shit. "May Heekan from May Heeko". I mean did you all star in that Daniel
> Day-Lewis movie Last of the May Heekans? What is it about the X that fucks you up,
> you can't put your teeth together or what's going on?

Beats me, you're the guys who keep saying Arkensaw instead of Arkansas.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Send PM

#364515 - 03/21/17 05:23 AM

> It's sort of like salsa but a specific mixture and there's no sauce, at least not in
> any that I've had. It's just chopped tomato/onion/serranos or other hot
> pepper/cilantro/bit of lime juice. It's fucking delicious on scrambled eggs, really
> outstanding.

In some areas, this kind of salsa is called "salsa cruda" (raw sauce), because the tomato isn't mashed up (or broiled / cooked.)

In my hometown, pico de gallo is the name of a hot pepper powder that is used when eating fruits and other snacks. It's like cayenne pepper, but mixed up with salt.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Pico de gallo goes better with scrambled eggs than salsa new [Re: Foxhack]
#364517 - 03/21/17 05:28 AM

I bet it's fucking good. I can see that catching on here soon in the US. Reminds me of an interesting bit - in prisons here one of the most popular currencies is now ramen noodles, not because of the noodles but the flavor packets inside. The food in prisons is notoriously bland so they sprinkle the ramen flavor packets on almost everything.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Send PM

#364518 - 03/21/17 05:59 AM Attachment: post-17399-0-23995900-1298145880[1].jpg 470 KB (0 downloads)

> I bet it's fucking good. I can see that catching on here soon in the US. Reminds me
> of an interesting bit - in prisons here one of the most popular currencies is now
> ramen noodles, not because of the noodles but the flavor packets inside. The food in
> prisons is notoriously bland so they sprinkle the ramen flavor packets on almost
> everything.

Actually, you can find the powder at most supermarkets, even at Wallymart! One of my sisters, who lives in Tennessee, used to take a couple of bottles of the stuff when she came to visit. Nowadays she just goes to the markets in town and buys four pound bags of the pepper mix, it's cheaper. :P

I've never liked the stuff with "lemon" in it, it's just citric acid and it makes it taste weird. Using real lemons is better.

Edit: Oh and yes, if you ever try this stuff, don't dunk a bottle of it on anything without tasting it first. This isn't a "gringos can't handle hot stuff" thing, it's just that the powder is usually ground up very fine, and it CAN cause anyone to choke on it.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

I wouldn't wipe my a$$ with cilantro new [Re: Smitdogg]
#364521 - 03/21/17 11:43 AM

I'd be happy if all traces were destroyed by a meteor shower or something.

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: I wouldn't wipe my a$$ with cilantro new [Re: URherenow]
#364522 - 03/21/17 12:20 PM

> I'd be happy if all traces were destroyed by a meteor shower or something.

I figured at some point we'd agree on something. Fuck cilantro. Over here in Sweden it's called "koriander", which caused me lots of confusion at first, because "coriander" is a different spice in English. So it took me a few tries before I figured out how to tell Thai places to omit that awful shit.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

#364523 - 03/21/17 12:27 PM

[image][/image]> This isn't a "gringos can't handle hot stuff" thing, it's
> just that the powder is usually ground up very fine, and it CAN cause anyone to choke
> on it.

It looks delicious though. Fucking delicious. I suddenly want it on everything I eat.

Funny thing on the "gringos can't handle hot stuff" thing, I can handle hot stuff, and I can handle sour stuff. An American expat friend who also lives here in Stockholm also loves hot stuff even more than me. He grows Carolina Reaper peppers and uses them in everyday dishes. We're both astonished at how little Swedes can handle hot food.

Like, Americans usually don't know from spicy, but holy shit is the Swedish palate just not built for spicy food. Any amount of capsaicin is too much for my partner, which makes me sad. On the bright side, I have plenty of things to add to my food once it hits my plate:

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

I find rooster beaks too crunchy for my taste. new [Re: Smitdogg]
#364525 - 03/21/17 03:28 PM

I'll go as far as chicken lips, but that's it.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: I wouldn't wipe my a$$ with cilantro new [Re: URherenow]
#364528 - 03/21/17 05:43 PM

Seems to be a polarizing leaf. People either love it or hate it.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Send PM

Re: Pico de gallo goes better with scrambled eggs than salsa new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#364532 - 03/21/17 06:52 PM

> > This isn't a "gringos can't handle hot stuff" thing, it's
> > just that the powder is usually ground up very fine, and it CAN cause anyone to
> choke
> > on it.
>
> It looks delicious though. Fucking delicious. I suddenly want it on everything I eat.
>
> Funny thing on the "gringos can't handle hot stuff" thing, I can handle hot stuff,
> and I can handle sour stuff. An American expat friend who also lives here in
> Stockholm also loves hot stuff even more than me. He grows Carolina Reaper peppers
> and uses them in everyday dishes. We're both astonished at how little Swedes can
> handle hot food.
>
> Like, Americans usually don't know from spicy, but holy shit is the Swedish palate
> just not built for spicy food. Any amount of capsaicin is too much for my partner,
> which makes me sad. On the bright side, I have plenty of things to add to my food
> once it hits my plate:

My 'gringo' comment was more of a cultural thing. I've tried American hot sauces (and so-called spicy stuff) and they all taste very vinegary to me, while Mexican stuff is usually more focused on the peppers and spices. I have no doubt there's some good American hot stuff out there, I've just never had the opportunity to try any of those.

FYI? Hot wing sauces make me ill. One time, I was visiting my sisters, and she made hot wings with uh... RedHot brand sauce? I couldn't eat more than one. It was just too vinegary. Her kids loved it though.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Send PM

Re: I wouldn't wipe my a$$ with cilantro new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#364533 - 03/21/17 07:55 PM

> > I'd be happy if all traces were destroyed by a meteor shower or something.
>
> I figured at some point we'd agree on something. Fuck cilantro. Over here in Sweden
> it's called "koriander", which caused me lots of confusion at first, because
> "coriander" is a different spice in English. So it took me a few tries before I
> figured out how to tell Thai places to omit that awful shit.

How can you not like cilantro?

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: I wouldn't wipe my a$$ with cilantro new [Re: Foxhack]
#364534 - 03/21/17 08:48 PM

I've heard some theories that depending on how your taste buds are made up, it can taste different to different people, sort of like some people can't smell a difference in their piss after eating asparagus.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#364536 - 03/21/17 09:01 PM

That's definitely my beef with most hot sauces like Tabasco, the vinegar. That's why you have to use fresh peppers with pico de gallo because vinegar would ruin it. All the peppers you buy here that aren't from the fresh produce area of the grocery store are stored in vinegar. I don't mind it for bloody marys and it mixes fine with some salads/dressing I guess but that's about it. Not a big vinegar guy.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

#364538 - 03/21/17 09:41 PM

> That's definitely my beef with most hot sauces like Tabasco, the vinegar. That's why
> you have to use fresh peppers with pico de gallo because vinegar would ruin it. All
> the peppers you buy here that aren't from the fresh produce area of the grocery store
> are stored in vinegar. I don't mind it for bloody marys and it mixes fine with some
> salads/dressing I guess but that's about it. Not a big vinegar guy.

Not too many of the sauces in my photo use vinegar or other acids FYI.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

#364540 - 03/21/17 09:45 PM

> See, "huevos a la mexicana", in my hometown at least, is eggs with salsa (the sauce
> kind, not the kind Smitty posted) on top. The kind he posted isn't that common here,
> that kind of pico de gallo is usually part of a lunch or dinner.

"Huevos revueltos con salsa" =/= "Huevos revueltos a la mexicana".

You live in a weird country. :P

But then I'm reminded northern and southern food are a world on its own, living in the center gets me the best of both.

I also have the bad habit of calling meat based food as "Northern" and seafood based as "Southern", yet we all know that isn't true at all.

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: I wouldn't wipe my a$$ with cilantro new [Re: Smitdogg]
#364543 - 03/21/17 10:59 PM

> I've heard some theories that depending on how your taste buds are made up, it can
> taste different to different people, sort of like some people can't smell a
> difference in their piss after eating asparagus.

I read somewhere that it tastes like industrial detergent to some people.

My ex-wife used to make a killer guacamole with cilantro, it took a while for me to adjust, to me it has a.. I dunno.. "spiky"? taste that gets overpowering if you use too much of it.

I'd definitely wipe my ass with it. Try everything once.

S

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#364544 - 03/21/17 11:51 PM

> > See, "huevos a la mexicana", in my hometown at least, is eggs with salsa (the sauce
> > kind, not the kind Smitty posted) on top. The kind he posted isn't that common
> here,
> > that kind of pico de gallo is usually part of a lunch or dinner.
>
> "Huevos revueltos con salsa" =/= "Huevos revueltos a la mexicana".
>
> You live in a weird country. :P
>
> But then I'm reminded northern and southern food are a world on its own, living in
> the center gets me the best of both.
>
> I also have the bad habit of calling meat based food as "Northern" and seafood based
> as "Southern", yet we all know that isn't true at all.

You guys are making me hungry for the breakfasts I had the one time I visited Mexico...

- Stiletto

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Not a fan of mama's soup surprise, I take it... new [Re: GatKong]
#364545 - 03/22/17 12:29 AM

Ray Stevens, iirc...

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Foxhack
Furry guy
Send PM

#364547 - 03/22/17 03:28 AM

> > See, "huevos a la mexicana", in my hometown at least, is eggs with salsa (the sauce
> > kind, not the kind Smitty posted) on top. The kind he posted isn't that common
> here,
> > that kind of pico de gallo is usually part of a lunch or dinner.
>
> "Huevos revueltos con salsa" =/= "Huevos revueltos a la mexicana".
>
> You live in a weird country. :P
>
> But then I'm reminded northern and southern food are a world on its own, living in
> the center gets me the best of both.
>
> I also have the bad habit of calling meat based food as "Northern" and seafood based
> as "Southern", yet we all know that isn't true at all.

Dude, Mexicali (yes, that is the name of my hometown!) cuisine is all sorts of weird. We've got Chinese, Mexican, Japanese, American, Brazilian, and more recently, HAITIAN influences.

Even when it comes to Mexican border towns, we're weird. :P

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

Re: Pico de gallo goes better with scrambled eggs than salsa new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#364552 - 03/22/17 11:19 AM

> I have plenty of things to add to my food
> once it hits my plate:

That bottle in the top right has a great label.

Moose

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

Re: Pico de gallo goes better with scrambled eggs than salsa new [Re: Moose]
#364553 - 03/22/17 11:36 AM

> > I have plenty of things to add to my food
> > once it hits my plate:
>
> That bottle in the top right has a great label.

All of the "Pain Is Good" line from Original Juan do, I actually have half a mind to get one of all of their things just for the labels: http://www.originaljuan.com/pain-is-good

jibmums
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/24/09
Send PM

Re: I wouldn't wipe my a$$ with cilantro new [Re: Sune]
#364556 - 03/22/17 04:09 PM

> I read somewhere that it tastes like industrial detergent to some people.

There you go. My gf's father says it tastes like soap to him. Me, I love the stuff.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

cilantro convert here... new [Re: Smitdogg]
#364560 - 03/23/17 02:10 AM

> Seems to be a polarizing leaf. People either love it or hate it.

I used to hate it... I don't know when or where, but I developed a taste for it.

LEVEL-4

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3061