MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

I wish Netflix had a setting to switch this off
#367703 - 07/11/17 02:33 AM

Instead of immediate-starting videos in compost heap level compression and then catching up to HD later, just give a fucking countdown to where it can buffer and start from the beginning in full HD quality instead of looking like a jpeg slideshow from the pre internet. I've never seen anything to ugly and compressed in my life.

tedgreen
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/04/15
Send PM

Re: I wish Netflix had a setting to switch this off new [Re: Smitdogg]
#367707 - 07/11/17 03:35 AM

Quote:

I've never seen anything to ugly and compressed in my life.

That's what she said!!!

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

Re: I wish Netflix had a setting to switch this off new [Re: tedgreen]
#367710 - 07/11/17 04:53 AM

Well yank on it & stretch it out for Christ's sake!

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#367717 - 07/11/17 11:05 AM

> Instead of immediate-starting videos in compost heap level compression and then
> catching up to HD later, just give a fucking countdown to where it can buffer and
> start from the beginning in full HD quality instead of looking like a jpeg slideshow
> from the pre internet. I've never seen anything to ugly and compressed in my life.

you've never played a PS3/PS4/XB360/XB1 game using BINK video on an HD display then?

some of them are barely above SegaCD quality.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: I wish Netflix had a setting to switch this off new [Re: Haze]
#367721 - 07/11/17 02:20 PM

> > Instead of immediate-starting videos in compost heap level compression and then
> > catching up to HD later, just give a fucking countdown to where it can buffer and
> > start from the beginning in full HD quality instead of looking like a jpeg
> slideshow
> > from the pre internet. I've never seen anything to ugly and compressed in my life.
>
> you've never played a PS3/PS4/XB360/XB1 game using BINK video on an HD display then?
>
> some of them are barely above SegaCD quality.

Maybe it's because I don't have an HD set, but I previewed a few free episodes of an anime on 'crunchy roll' on my PS3, I never experienced any downgraded/fuzzy/blurry videos. And they were sharp enough (for me) on my 32" Samsung.

Also, I was going to comment this before, but hesitated... Used to be, back when I had dial-up (before I got DSL), I got into the habit of pausing some videos first for a couple minutes before playing them. Hardly ever had any buffering issues... Then again, I wasn't watching anything in HD or on a large screen.

LEVEL-4

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: I wish Netflix had a setting to switch this off new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#367747 - 07/11/17 11:43 PM

> ... Used to be, back when I
> had dial-up (before I got DSL), I got into the habit of pausing some videos first for
> a couple minutes before playing them. Hardly ever had any buffering issues... Then
> again, I wasn't watching anything in HD or on a large screen.

I've noticed that some services simply don't buffer any more unless they're playing. They'll get a certain amount, and then stop. That may be as little as half a second, though they do continue to download content while playing.

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

#367754 - 07/12/17 04:13 AM

> Instead of immediate-starting videos in compost heap level compression and then
> catching up to HD later, just give a fucking countdown to where it can buffer and
> start from the beginning in full HD quality instead of looking like a jpeg slideshow
> from the pre internet. I've never seen anything to ugly and compressed in my life.

Amazon have the same problem.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

Re: I wish Netflix had a setting to switch this off new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#367777 - 07/12/17 02:59 PM

> Well yank on it & stretch it out for Christ's sake!

LMAO, geez, you very nearly made me spit a mouthful of coffee all over my screen.

Moose

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1287