MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Gay of Thrones
#368429 - 07/31/17 02:49 PM

The way this dick show gets to be headline news not even in an entertainment section makes me want to puke. When I finally do get around to watching it it better be the best thing I've ever seen and I know it won't be because it's some gay king shit with dicks flopping in the wind.

yaggy
Coin-op fixer
Reged: 01/23/05
Loc: Philadelphia
Send PM

Re: Gay of Thrones new [Re: Smitdogg]
#368474 - 08/01/17 05:37 PM

no interest in that show. saw some of it, gets old fast.
but i am dating a girl who looks like that lannister chick.
strange coincidence. short hair version.

i think the man from u.n.c.l.e. is a way better show,
even if it's 50 years old and super low-tech in its
portrayal of state of the art gadgets.

one of their spy guns was a 1/4" phono jack
with a red pushbutton glued to a metal handle.
i had to still-frame it to soak up all the awesome.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Have never seen a single episode and could care less. new [Re: yaggy]
#368479 - 08/01/17 11:46 PM

I could care less. There's room for less caring. It's a T.V. show. There are other things I care even less about.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

#368483 - 08/02/17 02:43 AM

> The way this dick show gets to be headline news not even in an entertainment section
> makes me want to puke.

I recall somewhere in TX, some town or county made some deal out of 'Tony Soprano'.... getting killed(?), or whatever it was that happened. Over a freaking FICTIONAL CHARACTER! Had people take off from work, made it a holiday or some stupid thing.

> When I finally do get around to watching it it better be the
> best thing I've ever seen and I know it won't be because it's some gay king shit with
> dicks flopping in the wind.

I never watched it (either?). From what I've heard, there's a large amount of sex and violence... Personally, that's something I'd rather not get into.

However, I did see the 'Death of Hodor' scene on YouTube. I couldn't really figure out what was going on there (either some parallel universe stuff, or some future/past thing going on) but man! Epic. I'll just take that and call it good.

LEVEL-4

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

Re: Have never seen a single episode and could care less. new [Re: GatKong]
#368485 - 08/02/17 03:01 AM

Ditto here, plus I'm gonna add 1 that'll prolly get me some hate...

Any of the Walking Dead shit...

The zombie stuff was cool...a couple decades ago...but a freakin' zombie soap opera? Same predictable crap over & over.
When's that show over? When they all get old, die, then get back up & stumble around the countryside with the rest of the extras?
Then what? Can't come soon enough...

Ah, that felt good!

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

Renegade
Got No Where Else to Go
Reged: 10/01/03
Send PM

#368486 - 08/02/17 05:26 AM

I've kept up with it personally. One thing to know is that the first couple episodes of each season are slow, they use them to set up everything going on behind the curtains so to speak. Who's aligning with who, who is wanting to murder who etc...

It's one of those shows that are really interwoven and somewhat complex. If you like shows where you can miss 1 or 2 and still understand what's going on this isn't one of them.

I like it for it's vast complexity.

Only here to annoy...

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: Gay of Thrones new [Re: Renegade]
#368487 - 08/02/17 09:21 AM

> I've kept up with it personally. One thing to know is that the first couple episodes
> of each season are slow, they use them to set up everything going on behind the
> curtains so to speak. Who's aligning with who, who is wanting to murder who etc...
>
> It's one of those shows that are really interwoven and somewhat complex. If you like
> shows where you can miss 1 or 2 and still understand what's going on this isn't one
> of them.
>
> I like it for it's vast complexity.

I find I dislike it for the exact same reason. Every plot line just sprawls across a ton of episodes, and the overall pacing is absolutely glacial. I got partway into season 3 before eventually just giving up on continuing to watch it.

I acknowledge the value of Game of Thrones in terms of its art direction and impact on the medium much in the same way I acknowledge the same for 2001: A Space Odyssey. But I feel about Game of Thrones the same way I feel about 2001, which is that the same story could be told much more effectively and in about a quarter of the time if the show/movie didn't spend so much time up its own ass, self-fellating over how artistic it is.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

#368493 - 08/02/17 02:43 PM

> I've kept up with it personally. One thing to know is that the first couple episodes
> of each season are slow, they use them to set up everything going on behind the
> curtains so to speak. Who's aligning with who, who is wanting to murder who etc...
>
> It's one of those shows that are really interwoven and somewhat complex. If you like
> shows where you can miss 1 or 2 and still understand what's going on this isn't one
> of them.
>
> I like it for it's vast complexity.

If I could watch it, that would be I wouldn't. I had enough of Big Dramas, I find I'm always wishing they'd end.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: Gay of Thrones new [Re: TriggerFin]
#368497 - 08/02/17 05:18 PM

> > I've kept up with it personally. One thing to know is that the first couple
> episodes
> > of each season are slow, they use them to set up everything going on behind the
> > curtains so to speak. Who's aligning with who, who is wanting to murder who etc...
> >
> > It's one of those shows that are really interwoven and somewhat complex. If you
> like
> > shows where you can miss 1 or 2 and still understand what's going on this isn't one
> > of them.
> >
> > I like it for it's vast complexity.
>
> If I could watch it, that would be I wouldn't. I had enough of Big Dramas, I find I'm
> always wishing they'd end.

GoT has started to feel like that, and now it is in the final season everything they're doing just seems rushed.

I stopped caring about half the characters a long time ago, to the point where some of the time I'm not even sure who they are, and one of the main characters who has been around from the start I've never warmed to the actress playing her (the character isn't meant to be likeable, but I find the portrayal worse than the character)

I'm mainly watching it at this point because it's a useful conversation icebreaker etc. (because literally nobody cares about things like 90s arcade games ;p)

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Have never seen a single episode and could care less. new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#368498 - 08/02/17 05:37 PM

You're not missing much, but some of the zombie killing action is fun, or was when I briefly watched it. I think I stopped in season 2, maybe it was 3, but it lamed out quickly and was never great. I think the thing that gave it appeal was that before it came out, this quality level of zombie killing action was only seen in movies, and this put it in a weekly tv show.

There's a lot of shows that if you know exactly when to stop watching, they're worth watching.

yaggy
Coin-op fixer
Reged: 01/23/05
Loc: Philadelphia
Send PM

Re: Have never seen a single episode and could care less. new [Re: GatKong]
#368504 - 08/02/17 09:01 PM

> I could care less.

Ha! That means you care. You may in fact care very much!
It's when you couldn't care less that you have no more fucks to give.

Renegade
Got No Where Else to Go
Reged: 10/01/03
Send PM

Re: Gay of Thrones new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#368505 - 08/02/17 10:51 PM

> I find I dislike it for the exact same reason. Every plot line just sprawls across a
> ton of episodes, and the overall pacing is absolutely glacial. I got partway into
> season 3 before eventually just giving up on continuing to watch it.
>
> I acknowledge the value of Game of Thrones in terms of its art direction and impact
> on the medium much in the same way I acknowledge the same for 2001: A Space Odyssey.
> But I feel about Game of Thrones the same way I feel about 2001, which is that the
> same story could be told much more effectively and in about a quarter of the time if
> the show/movie didn't spend so much time up its own ass, self-fellating over how
> artistic it is.

Agreed, the story telling could be sped up. I "think" the idea was to get people involved in the characters lives by slowing it down and adding unneeded details about each character so that people felt they really knew them. I think it worked to a point but at too slow a pace thru each season. Although I would like to be the guy that triggers the guillotine with queen cersei head in it feed her to the hounds ! Lol

Only here to annoy...

tedgreen
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/04/15
Send PM

Re: Have never seen a single episode and could care less. new [Re: yaggy]
#368507 - 08/03/17 12:11 AM

> > I could care less.
>
> Ha! That means you care. You may in fact care very much!
> It's when you couldn't care less that you have no more fucks to give.

Ok Al!

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#368508 - 08/03/17 12:48 AM

I'm not even going to give it a chance then. Slow pace is the number one thing that grinds my gears in tv shows. Couldn't even make it to episode 4 of Battlestar Galactica (2004 one). The pace made me want to scream.

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

Re: Have never seen a single episode and could care less. new [Re: Smitdogg]
#368511 - 08/03/17 02:37 AM

I know what you're saying, but OCD kicks in & I just hafta know what happens next...

Even if it does suck shark ballz as it jumps it...

Maybe even if it's just for that feeling of closure as the last episode fades away, goes off the air & usually leaves a feeling of completeness...

Most of the time...I'm pointing at YOU Sopranos! fuckin' sumanabitches

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#368512 - 08/03/17 02:42 AM

I've never given Sopranos a chance because for me its genre was completely overdone and dragged through the mud through movies years before the show started, so much that I was already to the point where I never wanted to see another movie/show/anything of that genre ever again. The commercials also made it look terrible. I know it's good because of the rep and incredible ratings, but still haven't been able to give it a shot yet. Whether it's good or bad, it's the most cliche goddamn thing in the world.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#368520 - 08/03/17 06:50 AM

> Ditto here, plus I'm gonna add 1 that'll prolly get me some hate...
>
> Any of the Walking Dead shit...
>
> The zombie stuff was cool...a couple decades ago...but a freakin' zombie soap opera?
> Same predictable crap over & over.
> When's that show over? When they all get old, die, then get back up & stumble around
> the countryside with the rest of the extras?
> Then what? Can't come soon enough...

I liked the first couple seasons of The Walking Dead, but then I kind of soured to it once it headed in the same morally-ambiguous, shades-of-grey, everyone-has-some-evil-in-them, equivocating nonsense as Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad.

Just to jump up on my soapbox for a second, I can't stand shows like Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, and The Walking Dead, where there's no truly "good" character, and everyone is an objectively shitty person, with the only nuance being the degree to which a given character is a shitty person. They peddle the idea that just about everyone in the world is some scheming piece of shit, looking to get one over on each other. To be perfectly honest, I don't disagree with that notion, which is why I hate these shows so much.

These shows, with their constant manufactured drama and unlikable characters, are made for people who have such placid, stress-free, and hardship-free lives that they literally feel the need to fill their lives with made-up fucking stress and drama. Fuck that, I have enough of that actual shit in my life without needing to watch some motherfucker's made-up horrible shit.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Re: Have never seen a single episode and could care less. new [Re: yaggy]
#368522 - 08/03/17 07:57 AM

> > I could care less.
>
> Ha! That means you care. You may in fact care very much!
> It's when you couldn't care less that you have no more fucks to give.

Yes. I was trolling the grammwr police there a little bit in the subject line, and acknowledged in the body that by "could care less" there was "room for less caring."

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: Have never seen a single episode and could care less. new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#368525 - 08/03/17 01:59 PM

> > Ditto here, plus I'm gonna add 1 that'll prolly get me some hate...
> >
> > Any of the Walking Dead shit...
> >
> > The zombie stuff was cool...a couple decades ago...but a freakin' zombie soap
> opera?
> > Same predictable crap over & over.
> > When's that show over? When they all get old, die, then get back up & stumble
> around
> > the countryside with the rest of the extras?
> > Then what? Can't come soon enough...
>
> I liked the first couple seasons of The Walking Dead, but then I kind of soured to it
> once it headed in the same morally-ambiguous, shades-of-grey,
> everyone-has-some-evil-in-them, equivocating nonsense as Game of Thrones and Breaking
> Bad.
>
> Just to jump up on my soapbox for a second, I can't stand shows like Game of Thrones,
> Breaking Bad, and The Walking Dead, where there's no truly "good" character, and
> everyone is an objectively shitty person, with the only nuance being the degree to
> which a given character is a shitty person. They peddle the idea that just about
> everyone in the world is some scheming piece of shit, looking to get one over on each
> other. To be perfectly honest, I don't disagree with that notion, which is why I hate
> these shows so much.
>
> These shows, with their constant manufactured drama and unlikable characters, are
> made for people who have such placid, stress-free, and hardship-free lives that they
> literally feel the need to fill their lives with made-up fucking stress and drama.
> Fuck that, I have enough of that actual shit in my life without needing to watch some
> motherfucker's made-up horrible shit.

Ah, well you should TOTALLY watch Preacher then. I mean, the main character is a preacher, right? He must be unequivocally good, despite all the torture and murder and accidentally sending people to Hell.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1469