View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

WTF just happened? (Win Update) new
#369928 - 09/27/17 04:24 PM

Finally home again from a deployment. Updated Windows (and a bunch of other stuff)

Creators Edition update (or whatever it's called) installed. Before the CE update, I did leave for a day while copying my external HDD MAME directory onto my system... but it shouldn't have caused this... I noticed there was something in my recycle bin, so I go to empty it... and it's deleting 63GB of temp files! WTF? Did those come from the update?

First thing I noticed was they removed the command prompt from the power user menu in favor of powershell. Never having messed with powershell much, and knowing my 3DS tools are set to build everything just fine from CMD, I took care of that little problem right away.

Now I guess it's time to update my softwarelist stuff...

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Re: WTF just happened? (Win Update) new [Re: URherenow]
#370018 - 09/30/17 09:08 PM

> Finally home again from a deployment. Updated Windows (and a bunch of other stuff)
>
> Creators Edition update (or whatever it's called) installed. Before the CE update, I
> did leave for a day while copying my external HDD MAME directory onto my system...
> but it shouldn't have caused this... I noticed there was something in my recycle bin,
> so I go to empty it... and it's deleting 63GB of temp files! WTF? Did those come from
> the update?
>
> First thing I noticed was they removed the command prompt from the power user menu in
> favor of powershell. Never having messed with powershell much, and knowing my 3DS
> tools are set to build everything just fine from CMD, I took care of that little
> problem right away.
>
> Now I guess it's time to update my softwarelist stuff...

You still have the cmd. They hidden that. Powershell isn't the cmd replacement. I have both.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

URherenow
Send PM

Re: WTF just happened? (Win Update) new [Re: Dullaron]
#370032 - 10/01/17 05:48 PM

Umm... I know this. I already stated that I took care if it first thing (added it back to the menu)

I'm just baffled about the 63GB of junk I had to remove from the recycle bin. I use CC cleaner all the time, so it's not as if it's been building up. Something between the update and/or copying an entire MAME directory from an external drive did it. Neither possibility makes sense...

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

Re: WTF just happened? (Win Update) new [Re: URherenow]
#370038 - 10/01/17 06:28 PM

> I use CC cleaner all the time

CCleaner malware outbreak is much worse than it first appeared

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Re: WTF just happened? (Win Update) [Re: krick]
#370044 - 10/02/17 10:23 AM

> > I use CC cleaner all the time
>
> CCleaner malware outbreak is much worse than it first appeared

I wonder they are talking about a cracked / patched version. I'm using a free version. None of my scanners reported malware or anything from that. Cracked / patched sometimes will do that. Be careful though.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

redk9258
Regular
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: WTF just happened? (Win Update) new [Re: Dullaron]
#370045 - 10/02/17 12:07 PM

If I read it correctly, it was only 32-bit versions and not 64-bit versions.

URherenow
Send PM

Re: WTF just happened? (Win Update) new [Re: redk9258]
#370048 - 10/02/17 03:59 PM

Also, My computer was completely off for months. Wasn't turned on until the 25th.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1182