Pages: 1

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Way to go, Roseanne!
#376491 - 05/29/18 09:59 PM

I don't know if it's an earnestly racist comment, or if she's lost in her character and trying to be what she thinks her audience wants her to be, but, well, yeah. Cancelled in preproduction of the second season after being renewed.

Never was a fan, in any case.

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/19/10
Loc: The Room Next To You
Send PM

Re: Way to go, Roseanne! new [Re: TriggerFin]
#376492 - 05/30/18 12:41 AM

What I find most hilarious about this is that they have the nerve to pretend nobody saw this coming. Whether it's racism or politics or any other issue, if I'm a network TV exec bent on not offending liberal sensitivities (or any other group's sensitivities), I don't go out and buy a show with a woman KNOWN for deliberately pissing people off for comedic value. It's like Oxygen or Lifetime buying a show featuring Andrew Dice Clay and not expecting disaster.

----------------------
I have officially retired from sucking at everything I do. Life is much easier now.

My MAME/MESS artwork files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ABxeKgNIrKlIsyck7dx4V241NFQDWAF4
Related screen shots: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U5IbvbVzYW97PuOOQuocvZFE_YJz7WIn

Robbbert
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

#376493 - 05/30/18 12:59 AM

>

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#376502 - 05/30/18 05:12 AM

It was something like the highest rated comedy in three years. She could have done Roseanne for a few years and retired comfortably, and she pissed it all away because she couldn't stfu on Twitter. I can't even imagine being self destructive at that level.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: Way to go, Roseanne! new [Re: DMala]
#376503 - 05/30/18 05:59 AM

> It was something like the highest rated comedy in three years. She could have done
> Roseanne for a few years and retired comfortably, and she pissed it all away because
> she couldn't stfu on Twitter. I can't even imagine being self destructive at that
> level.

She obviously was on that Hawaiian Maui Wowie bomb to be tweeting like that. I wonder how many millions she's lost now as a result of the show getting canceled. I feel bad for the rest of the people on the show that had nothing to do with it.

JWJr
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/15/04
Send PM

Re: Way to go, Roseanne! new [Re: Nightvoice]
#376511 - 05/30/18 03:19 PM

> What I find most hilarious about this is that they have the nerve to pretend nobody
> saw this coming. Whether it's racism or politics or any other issue, if I'm a network
> TV exec bent on not offending liberal sensitivities (or any other group's
> sensitivities), I don't go out and buy a show with a woman KNOWN for deliberately
> pissing people off for comedic value. It's like Oxygen or Lifetime buying a show
> featuring Andrew Dice Clay and not expecting disaster.

I'm thinking that same way about "all the other poor people working on the show". It's not like they didn't know who was driving the bus they were on, or what she was capable of.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

PC thought police strike again new [Re: TriggerFin]
#376514 - 05/30/18 07:02 PM

lol "freedom of speech" lol!

Edit2: "LOL" as in she doesn't actually have that so-called "freedom", because everyone will use the opportunity to take a shot at her. Anyone replying with something that appears to correct me is actually just repeating the point I'm trying to make here.

eta: Roseanne has always been considered to be a 'far-lefty'. Even anti-establishment... One appearance on a talk-show where she doesn't bash (you know who) and all the sudden she's goose-stepping. ffs.

Edited by Tomu Breidah (06/01/18 12:40 AM)

LEVEL-4

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Republicunt moron strikes again! new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#376515 - 05/30/18 07:40 PM

> lol "freedom of speech" lol!

lol "Tomu Breidah doesn't understand the incredibly basic fundamentals of the 1st Amendment, which is that the government cannot abridge freedom of expression, but meanwhile non-governmental organizations are perfectly free to do so, and in fact ABC were exercising their collective freedom of speech by firing Roseanne" lol!

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

I'm a Republican? That's news to me.... (Destination: War Room) new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#376519 - 05/30/18 08:34 PM

> > lol "freedom of speech" lol!
>
> lol "Tomu Breidah doesn't understand the incredibly basic fundamentals of the 1st
> Amendment, which is that the government cannot abridge freedom of expression, but
> meanwhile non-governmental organizations are perfectly free to do so, and in fact ABC
> were exercising their collective freedom of speech by firing Roseanne" lol!

Quote:

Non-Governmental organizations are perfectly free to abridge the freedom of expression...

Okie-Dokie.

ABC is free to fire Roseanne, and she can post on Twitter or whichever social network she wants. Her posting crazy or seemingly offensive remarks isn't related to her employment. It's just that it's a decision based on PC ideals, and that's the problem. The point where the "thought police" come in is the feigned outrage over her comments. If you think about it, it wouldn't be any different than firing someone over their skin color, sexual orientation, or political and/or religious beliefs (and her remarks delve into the political side of thinking). No matter what scenario you put here, it's a case of discrimination, plain and simple.

So, while ABC is free to fire Roseanne, they should at least have a good reason for doing it.

edit2: Watch the reply to this be someone assume I agree with whatever Roseanne said.

Edited by Tomu Breidah (05/30/18 08:43 PM)

LEVEL-4

JWJr
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: I'm a Republican? That's news to me.... (Destination: War Room) new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#376520 - 05/30/18 08:58 PM

> So, while ABC is free to fire Roseanne, they should at least have a good reason for
> doing it.

Here's another really cool part of our freedoms: you don't get to decide what's "a good reason". Unless you're a large Disney stockholder, of course.

Roseanne passes on a lot of far-fringe conspiracy crap, both left-wing and right-wing. She's swung wildly from post to post, and retweeted made-up lunacy from both ends. Calling her "far-lefty" is deliberately missing the point.

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Re: I'm a Republican? That's news to me.... (Destination: War Room) new [Re: JWJr]
#376522 - 05/30/18 10:23 PM

> > So, while ABC is free to fire Roseanne, they should at least have a good reason for
> > doing it.
>
> Here's another really cool part of our freedoms: you don't get to decide what's "a
> good reason". Unless you're a large Disney stockholder, of course.
>
> Roseanne passes on a lot of far-fringe conspiracy crap, both left-wing and
> right-wing. She's swung wildly from post to post, and retweeted made-up lunacy from
> both ends. Calling her "far-lefty" is deliberately missing the point.

The MSM was the one calling her a racist, which is supposed to be on the (far) right side of the political spectrum. They said it first so they're the ones missing the point.

Anyway.....

LEVEL-4

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Republicunt moron strikes again! new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#376524 - 05/30/18 10:43 PM

And therein lies the problem: those with alternative viewpoints are NOT financially backing alternative media. Some problems can't be addressed by screaming at an entity, only by finding a different entity. Fortunately, another thing the law prohibits is monopolies (I'm looking at Facebook), which means you're free to take your viewership and dollars elsewhere.

My patron cause is free speech. I got sick of chat sites attempting to police "political correctness", so rather than rant at deaf ears, I started my own chat site on a server based in a country that does not give a shit.

We need a new media. If we can't have an impartial one, we need an opposing one.

----------------------
I have officially retired from sucking at everything I do. Life is much easier now.

My MAME/MESS artwork files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ABxeKgNIrKlIsyck7dx4V241NFQDWAF4
Related screen shots: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U5IbvbVzYW97PuOOQuocvZFE_YJz7WIn

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

I’ve never liked Roseanne new [Re: TriggerFin]
#376526 - 05/30/18 11:55 PM

Never watched her first show, never watched the reboot.

She’s famous for saying horrible offensive things. Is anyone really surprised?

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Re: Way to go, Roseanne! new [Re: JWJr]
#376527 - 05/31/18 12:00 AM

> > What I find most hilarious about this is that they have the nerve to pretend nobody
> > saw this coming. Whether it's racism or politics or any other issue, if I'm a
> network
> > TV exec bent on not offending liberal sensitivities (or any other group's
> > sensitivities), I don't go out and buy a show with a woman KNOWN for deliberately
> > pissing people off for comedic value. It's like Oxygen or Lifetime buying a show
> > featuring Andrew Dice Clay and not expecting disaster.
>
> I'm thinking that same way about "all the other poor people working on the show".
> It's not like they didn't know who was driving the bus they were on, or what she was
> capable of.

They figured she would be capable of keeping her uh, tendencies under control.

Now Roseanne is saying she was on Ambien when she tweeted that. The drug company that makes Ambien has said they had nothing to do with what she did.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: I’ve never liked Roseanne new [Re: GatKong]
#376528 - 05/31/18 01:33 AM

I'm surprised the woman she made fun of tries to call herself black. She's clearly white. Just because you have someone black in your distant family doesn't make you black. Sorry not sorry.

B2K24
Send PM

#376529 - 05/31/18 02:11 AM

LOL

https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1001930495020552193

Gor
Giver of truth.
Loc: The basement
Send PM

Re: I’ve never liked Roseanne new [Re: Smitdogg]
#376534 - 05/31/18 05:03 AM

> I'm surprised the woman she made fun of tries to call herself black. She's clearly
> white. Just because you have someone black in your distant family doesn't make you
> black. Sorry not sorry.

Her dad's clearly black. So is her mom's dad. I didn't know the Robert Taylor Homes were named after her grandaddy until now.

Oh for Pete's sake.
loser.com

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: I’ve never liked Roseanne new [Re: Gor]
#376535 - 05/31/18 05:06 AM

She looks white. I haven't seen proof that Roseanne is a racist. Maybe it will come?

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Re: PC thought police strike again new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#376537 - 05/31/18 05:35 AM

>
> eta: Roseanne has always been considered to be a 'far-lefty'. Even
> anti-establishment... One appearance on a talk-show where she doesn't bash (you know
> who) and all the sudden she's goose-stepping. ffs.

Yeah you try working somewhere, then saying that same shit at full blast in front of all your customers, in earshot of your boss.

You'd be fired on the fuckin' spot, and it's not a 1st amendment thing. You'd be fired for being an asshole.

Asshole.

Gor
Giver of truth.
Loc: The basement
Send PM

#376539 - 05/31/18 05:56 AM

> She looks white. I haven't seen proof that Roseanne is a racist. Maybe it will come?

Gingers also look white. Race is complicated.

Oh for Pete's sake.
loser.com

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Send PM

#376540 - 05/31/18 08:12 AM

I saw one article claiming she's antisemitic. Never mind that she's Jewish or anything.

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Re: PC thought police strike again new [Re: Foxhack]
#376541 - 05/31/18 08:37 AM

> Yeah you try working somewhere, then saying that same shit at full blast in front of
> all your customers, in earshot of your boss.
>
> You'd be fired on the fuckin' spot, and it's not a 1st amendment thing. You'd be
> fired for being an asshole.
>
> Asshole.

Well obviously. But here's the thing... What she did wasn't on the job or at work.

But what's even worse, if I got fired because someone claims I said something "racist", then they would have just opened themselves up to a libel/slander lawsuit. Why? Because there wasn't anything she said that was actually racist. Unless you'd care to explain to me (or anyone else) how what she said was racist.

Not that I'm defending what she said... Just her right to say it. According to her, it was while "medicated"... Having taken Ambien. But, that might just be her excuse from all the people she apparently angered. I'm unaware of the side-effect, but a lot of people say stuff they shouldn't from time to time. "Shouldn't" as in other people would react to it in a negative way, and have hurt feelings. And we all get mad and say inappropriate things from time to time. You calling me an "Asshole" is a great example.

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

#376542 - 05/31/18 09:28 AM

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Way to go, Roseanne! new [Re: DMala]
#376545 - 05/31/18 11:31 AM

The beauty of MAMEWorld is that people say all kinds of colorful things on here and the worst that happens is a faceless person gets banned. Why? Because we're not stupid enough to use our real names on a site that's PUBLICLY SEARCHABLE. None of us get fired for what we say here because anonymity is an accepted part of what we do here. All of the trouble began when people felt it necessary to broadcast their words to the whole world, for better or worse, and sign their real names to them. Any site that requires real personal information is a danger, and it bewilders me how many people still haven't figured that out.

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

#376546 - 05/31/18 11:47 AM

This post was copied due to the forum or this browser not always loading a post after I've made it, only to have wasted my time. It's a reply to (anonymous) who deleted their post before I added the following reply.

> There is hundreds of years of history of ape/monkey being a deragatory term, when
> used by a white person towards a black person. It is second in offensiveness only to
> ni****. Yes, really.
>

Right. But this was from a white person to a white person. Or, at least, someone that doesn't even appear to have any Negroid features.

I'm going to guess that Roseanne was making the comparison in looks between Valerie Jarrett and the 2001 version of Planet of the Apes character Ari. But it's as if it's because the word 'Apes' was invoked that it automatically means it's a racist (or, in this case, an anti-black) remark. Gotta clutch onto muh racism!

I'd ask if anyone actually thinks Roseanne would have said this if Valerie actually did have said features. But the answer will probably be "yes" anyway. Because if the MSM said it, then it must be true.

> > Not that I'm defending what she said... Just her right to say it. According to her,
> > it was while "medicated"... Having taken Ambien. But, that might just be her excuse
> > from all the people she apparently angered. I'm unaware of the side-effect, but a
> lot
> > of people say stuff they shouldn't from time to time. "Shouldn't" as in other
> people
> > would react to it in a negative way, and have hurt feelings. And we all get mad and
> > say inappropriate things from time to time. You calling me an "Asshole" is a great
> > example.
>
> Go read the xkcd comic H@P posted again. Yes, she has every right to say it. And
> Disney/ABC has every right to let her go, because they don't want to be associated
> with someone with that kind of perspective on life.
>
> Everyone in America has the right to be an asshole, and the government, in most
> cases, can't do anything about any of those people. But the private sector, they can
> retaliate against the asshole as they see fit, within legal means, all they want.
> This is the part that people seem to never figure out.
>
> In other words, exactly what MG and others have already said here.

Yes. I've seen it. I get what they're "saying". But what everyone seems to have their fingers in their ears and saying "La-la-la-la-la-la-la!" about is the fact that nothing racist was ever said. And therefor, them saying "we're firing her because she said something racist" is horseshit.

If they want to fire her just because she said something offensive, then fine. Call it what it is. Don't gloss over it with some b.s. buzzword in order to look like you're defending black people because she said "apes".

Once you remove the idea of something racist having been said, then the firing really looks like they overreacted. But hey. It's their right to fire whoever the fuck they want, for whatever reason they want. God bless the USA.

Edited by Tomu Breidah (05/31/18 01:27 PM)

JWJr
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Way to go, Roseanne! new [Re: Foxhack]
#376547 - 05/31/18 02:03 PM

> > > What I find most hilarious about this is that they have the nerve to pretend
> nobody
> > > saw this coming. Whether it's racism or politics or any other issue, if I'm a
> > network
> > > TV exec bent on not offending liberal sensitivities (or any other group's
> > > sensitivities), I don't go out and buy a show with a woman KNOWN for deliberately
> > > pissing people off for comedic value. It's like Oxygen or Lifetime buying a show
> > > featuring Andrew Dice Clay and not expecting disaster.
> >
> > I'm thinking that same way about "all the other poor people working on the show".
> > It's not like they didn't know who was driving the bus they were on, or what she
> was
> > capable of.
>
> They figured she would be capable of keeping her uh, tendencies under control.

Wishful thinking. There's nothing in her history to indicate any meaningful self-control.

> Now Roseanne is saying she was on Ambien when she tweeted that. The drug company that
> makes Ambien has said they had nothing to do with what she did.

That made me laugh. The actual quote:

Quote:

People of all races, religions and nationalities work at Sanofi every day to improve the lives of people around the world. While all pharmaceutical treatments have side effects, racism is not a known side effect of any Sanofi medication.

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Loc: California
Send PM

#376548 - 05/31/18 04:32 PM

> This post was copied due to the forum or this browser not always loading a post after
> I've made it, only to have wasted my time. It's a reply to (anonymous) who deleted
> their post before I added the following reply.

Because after I thought about it, I realized no matter what anyone says, you just aren't going to get it, so why bother, and I deleted my own post. Perhaps I'll give it one more try.

> Right. But this was from a white person to a white person. Or, at least, someone that
> doesn't even appear to have any Negroid features.

Thank you for proving my point, and showing that you are utterly clueless. Maybe I shouldn't give it one more try.

Tom >>> "The world is as I observe it. Even if it isn't, I still observed it that way, so that is what it is, facts be damned."

Valerie is black. Her "not appearing to have any Negroid features" (fuck me, did you actually write that?) doesn't change the fact that she's black. Go look up a picture of her daughter Laura while you're at it. (Nevermind... you'll probably just think she's "really tan.")

> I'm going to guess that Roseanne was making the comparison in looks between Valerie
> Jarrett and the 2001 version of Planet of the Apes character Ari. But it's as if it's
> because the word 'Apes' was invoked that it automatically means it's a racist (or, in
> this case, an anti-black) remark. Gotta clutch onto muh racism!
>
> I'd ask if anyone actually thinks Roseanne would have said this if Valerie actually
> did have said features. But the answer will probably be "yes" anyway. Because if the
> MSM said it, then it must be true.

Please... I read it with zero preconceptions when it first happened... first thing I thought was "fuckin' racist piece of shit."

But I guess, since the MSM (is that a buzzword?) agrees with a bunch of individuals who also feel the same way, it must be a conspiracy to bring Roseanne down, not actually racist, right?

Yeah... I should really stop now... I'm just wasting energy.

> Yes. I've seen it. I get what they're "saying". But what everyone seems to have their
> fingers in their ears and saying "La-la-la-la-la-la-la!" about is the fact that
> nothing racist was ever said. And therefor, them saying "we're firing her because she
> said something racist" is horseshit.

*** Tom puts fingers in his own ears ***

"Nothing racist was ever said, because I, Tom, have dutifully concluded that nothing racist was ever said. Because I said so. That's why."

*** Tom continues on "La-la... la-la-la-la-ing" to Smurfs theme, skipping down the street ***

Yup... I'm just feeding the troll by now.

> If they want to fire her just because she said something offensive, then fine. Call
> it what it is. Don't gloss over it with some b.s. buzzword in order to look like
> you're defending black people because she said "apes".

Not like anyone here glosses over stuff here, amiright?

> Once you remove the idea of something racist having been said, then the firing really
> looks like they overreacted. But hey. It's their right to fire whoever the fuck they
> want, for whatever reason they want. God bless the USA.

I really do wish God would bless the USA a little bit right now, because we need it.

-------------------------------------------

You don't believe it was racist. The whole of MAMEWorld could come down here and disagree with you, and you would STILL believe you are right.

So you must be right after all. Sorry for wasting your time. My sincerest apologies.

** runs out of troll snacks **

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: PC thought police strike again new [Re: Mr. Do]
#376549 - 05/31/18 05:04 PM

Her skin is white and her hair is so white that it's in a quaff feather. I know republicans constantly play the victim card as a part of their unbelievably offensive agenda in order to pull fake sympathy from idiots and I hate to fall into a trap, but this woman looks white, plain and simple. If she has a daughter who looks black I bet she has a dad who looks like midnight and you shouldn't have to look up people's family pics before making fun of them.

Everybody here looks like an ape. Go blow me up on twitter.

JWJr
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: PC thought police strike again new [Re: Smitdogg]
#376551 - 05/31/18 06:26 PM

> Her skin is white and her hair is so white that it's in a quaff feather. I know
> republicans constantly play the victim card as a part of their unbelievably offensive
> agenda in order to pull fake sympathy from idiots and I hate to fall into a trap, but
> this woman looks white, plain and simple. If she has a daughter who looks black I bet
> she has a dad who looks like midnight and you shouldn't have to look up people's
> family pics before making fun of them.
>
> Everybody here looks like an ape. Go blow me up on twitter.

Seriously, do you think a person who tweeted "muslim brotherhood & planet of the apes had a baby" thought for one second she was referring to someone who self-identified as white?

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: PC thought police strike again new [Re: JWJr]
#376552 - 05/31/18 07:01 PM

I guess we are agreeing to play into the stereotype that Muslim / Islam is a "black" religion. I hate all religions and they can't be made fun of enough in my opinion and Muslim is the worst of them. You also lost me at "self identify". I'm a lefty but I'm not a retard, I'm not going to call that white blonde girl who grew up and moved into a tanning bed and crimped and darkened her hair "black" even though she "identifies" as black and frankly a man doesn't turn into a woman if he cuts his dick off. But I do see your point, if we are to call the Muslim brotherhood (I honestly don't even know what that is, does the "brotherhood" mean it's a black group?) a black thing and then in the same sentence go into the apes thing. It all just threw me off because I googled her and can't get over how white she is.

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Re: PC thought police strike again new [Re: Mr. Do]
#376553 - 05/31/18 07:28 PM

> Valerie is black. Her "not appearing to have any Negroid features" (fuck me, did you
> actually write that?) doesn't change the fact that she's black. Go look up a picture
> of her daughter Laura while you're at it. (Nevermind... you'll probably just think
> she's "really tan.")
>

No. She does look to be.... some percentage of black (and very pretty I might add). I wouldn't say she's full black. So, am I to gather that if anyone is any % of whatever race, if some remark is used towards them that would fit a racial slur against that micro percentage of race, then it means the person that said that is absolutely a racist, even if they were completely unaware of that race in said person's heritage? Why can't they be an equally tiny amount of racist?

>
> Please... I read it with zero preconceptions when it first happened... first thing I
> thought was "fuckin' racist piece of shit."
>
> But I guess, since the MSM (is that a buzzword?) agrees with a bunch of individuals
> who also feel the same way, it must be a conspiracy to bring Roseanne down, not
> actually racist, right?
>

I was skeptical at first (you know, because the MSM is SOOO trustworthy ), so that's why I researched it... You know, looked up a picture of what Valerie Jarratt actually looks like. So that's why I couldn't understand why people were crying "wacist".

>
>
> > Yes. I've seen it. I get what they're "saying". But what everyone seems to have
> their
> > fingers in their ears and saying "La-la-la-la-la-la-la!" about is the fact that
> > nothing racist was ever said. And therefor, them saying "we're firing her because
> she
> > said something racist" is horseshit.
>
> *** Tom puts fingers in his own ears ***
>
> "Nothing racist was ever said, because I, Tom, have dutifully concluded that nothing
> racist was ever said. Because I said so. That's why."
>
> *** Tom continues on "La-la... la-la-la-la-ing" to Smurfs theme, skipping down the
> street ***
>
> Yup... I'm just feeding the troll by now.
>

You just pulled an "I know you are, but what am I?"

Yeah, you should've stopped a long time ago. But thanks for the laugh.

>
> You don't believe it was racist. The whole of MAMEWorld could come down here and
> disagree with you, and you would STILL believe you are right.

My points have apparently caused you to be uncomfortable, even doubting your own comments (that you had to delete your original post), and resorting to childish tactics. I'm sure you're aware of Cognitive dissonance, right?

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

#376554 - 05/31/18 07:40 PM

> Seriously, do you think a person who tweeted "muslim brotherhood & planet of the apes
> had a baby" thought for one second she was referring to someone who self-identified
> as white?

Because there are no white Muslims at all, anywhere.

JWJr
MAME Fan
Send PM

#376555 - 05/31/18 07:53 PM

> > Seriously, do you think a person who tweeted "muslim brotherhood & planet of the
> apes
> > had a baby" thought for one second she was referring to someone who self-identified
> > as white?
>
> Because there are no white Muslims at all, anywhere.

Not that Roseanne's ever met, no. I'm surprised you didn't mention albino apes, too.

The symbolism is obvious unless you're searching for ways to excuse it. And why you'd be doing that, I can't imagine, particularly when Roseanne herself has asked you not to.

JWJr
MAME Fan
Send PM

#376556 - 05/31/18 07:55 PM

> I guess we are agreeing to play into the stereotype that Muslim / Islam is a "black"
> religion.

IIRC, that's the very stereotype she was playing for laughs on one of the last episodes of her failed show, wasn't it?

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#376557 - 05/31/18 08:11 PM

I haven't seen it, but maybe you cracked the riddle and it was an ambian brained attempt at continuing that.

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Loc: California
Send PM

#376558 - 05/31/18 08:18 PM

> My points have apparently caused you to be uncomfortable, even doubting your own
> comments (that you had to delete your original post), and resorting to childish
> tactics. I'm sure you're aware of Cognitive dissonance, right?

Pfft... please... uncomfortable, no... sad for the American people, yes.

I deleted my own post, because after some thought, I figured it would just be a waste of time... thank you for clarifying that. Twice.

Cognitive dissonance... yes, I know exactly what that is.

I am overweight, and know it's unhealthy, but spend nowhere close to the amount of time doing physical activity that I should be doing, to get the weight down. I keep saying I'll start next week, but next week never comes.

Other than that, no, CD does not apply to me. Thanks for trying.

B2K24
Send PM

#376561 - 05/31/18 09:02 PM

>
> eta: Roseanne has always been considered to be a 'far-lefty'. Even
> anti-establishment... One appearance on a talk-show where she doesn't bash (you know
> who) and all the sudden she's goose-stepping. ffs.

Taken from Twitter

Quote:

Freedom of speech isn't freedom from repercussions. That's why everyone who works retail doesn't tell you to go fuck yourself.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#376563 - 06/01/18 01:54 AM

> But I
> do see your point, if we are to call the Muslim brotherhood (I honestly don't even
> know what that is, does the "brotherhood" mean it's a black group?) a black thing and
> then in the same sentence go into the apes thing. It all just threw me off because I
> googled her and can't get over how white she is.

The Muslim Brotherhood is an Egyptian political party that gained power after the US-sponsored coup. They seem to like mixing religion and politics. Are Egyptians black? I dunno, they're African, but they're more like middle-eastern Semetic people, aren't they?

edit: just to throw my two cents in, "planet of the apes crossed with muslim brotherhood" sounds like she wanted to say "you look like a monkey crossed with a sandnigger" but decided it was too offensive even for her

Edited by Vas Crabb (06/01/18 01:57 AM)

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: PC thought police strike again new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#376568 - 06/01/18 06:06 AM

I don't know that she's been accused of being a liar before (reposting some tweet conspiracy bullshit not included), I mean actually "being a liar" like Donald Trump for example is a morbidly obese liar. So I don't know why we wouldn't trust her if she said she thought vj was white and she's not a racist. But I don't follow her tweets etc. like apparently everyone else does.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

#376571 - 06/01/18 08:05 AM

> I don't know that she's been accused of being a liar before (reposting some tweet
> conspiracy bullshit not included), I mean actually "being a liar" like Donald Trump
> for example is a morbidly obese liar. So I don't know why we wouldn't trust her if
> she said she thought vj was white and she's not a racist. But I don't follow her
> tweets etc. like apparently everyone else does.

I'm not saying she's necessarily racist, just that something to the effect of, "You look like a monkey crossed with a sandnigger," is a pretty shitty thing to say, and if you're the title character of a show, you need to think about the implications of these kinds of things. The show is literally named after her - she can't separate herself from it - so anything she says is automatically associated with the show in people's minds.

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

#376575 - 06/02/18 10:23 AM

> I'm not saying she's necessarily racist, just that something to the effect of, "You
> look like a monkey crossed with a sandnigger," is a pretty shitty thing to say, and
> if you're the title character of a show, you need to think about the implications of
> these kinds of things. The show is literally named after her - she can't separate
> herself from it - so anything she says is automatically associated with the show in
> people's minds.

Here's what I propose (even though it will never happen)... Let her stay on the air, and let the show's ratings be the deciding factor in whether they keep her on or not.

She has said that she was under medication at the time she made the tweet, she's even said she didn't know VJ was some (small) % black. The comparison between VJ and the character in question... neither of them have strong "black" characteristics. So why is it that people want to automatically assume it was racially motivated?

Is something still racist even when it wasn't intended to be?

I recall a time long past, in another forum, far far away (lol), where I made a post... In it I included the 3 following things. Dinosaurs, Monkeys, and fried chicken. A moderator deleted my post, so I sent them a PM asking why my post was removed, he then explained he thought I was making a racist post. Then I was like "Ohhhhhh!" And that was the furthest thing from my mind at the time. But it made sense after he pointed out the... related items I mentioned.

I can't recall if it was related, but another thing he said was that someone can say/post something and not mean anything offensive by it, but others could be offended by it... Like, that's how they'd interpret it. I say 'A', they hear 'B'.

So, I will say that the tweet made by Roseanne wasn't meant to be racist. If anyone wants to think Roseanne is actually open about her supposed racism, then that's fine. Whoever thinks that is free to be a fool. Or that anytime anyone invokes the word "ape" or the movie in question, that it automatically means they're thinking of or intentionally directing their statement to someone that they think is black... Yeah, you really need to reflect on that, and deeply. Why would someone in Roseanne's position do something so self-destructive like that?

OR suggests it was an honest mistake. Too bad public opinion (fueled by the MSM) won't allow for forgiveness.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

#376576 - 06/02/18 11:19 AM

> She has said that she was under medication at the time she made the tweet, she's even
> said she didn't know VJ was some (small) % black. The comparison between VJ and the
> character in question... neither of them have strong "black" characteristics. So why
> is it that people want to automatically assume it was racially motivated?
>
> Is something still racist even when it wasn't intended to be?

Did you read the post you're quoting/replying to? I'm not saying I think she's racist - I'm saying I think she's a fuckwit and a liability for anyone associated with her name. Whether the "joke" is racist or not, it's a shitty thing to say. She's been in using her name as a brand in showbusiness plenty long enough to understand this. I have no sympathy for her.

Or are you trying to say that saying something to the effect of, "you look like an ape crossed with a sandnigger," is not offensive? If so, you must live on a different planet or something. There's no way you can spin it so the comment isn't derogatory.

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

#376580 - 06/02/18 03:42 PM

> > She has said that she was under medication at the time she made the tweet, she's
> even
> > said she didn't know VJ was some (small) % black. The comparison between VJ and the
> > character in question... neither of them have strong "black" characteristics. So
> why
> > is it that people want to automatically assume it was racially motivated?
> >
> > Is something still racist even when it wasn't intended to be?
>
> Did you read the post you're quoting/replying to? I'm not saying I think she's racist
> - I'm saying I think she's a fuckwit and a liability for anyone associated with her
> name. Whether the "joke" is racist or not, it's a shitty thing to say. She's been in
> using her name as a brand in showbusiness plenty long enough to understand this. I
> have no sympathy for her.
>
> Or are you trying to say that saying something to the effect of, "you look like an
> ape crossed with a sandnigger," is not offensive? If so, you must live on a different
> planet or something. There's no way you can spin it so the comment isn't derogatory.

I wasn't necessarily replying to you specifically, just adding to the topic. 'Guess I should've replied to one of my own posts, or stated so at the begging of my previous post.

As for the "you look like an ape crossed with a sandnigger" thing... Eh, that seems to be your idea/conclusion. I'd only suggest these corrections to that thought. Not technically an "ape", but a character from the movie (I have posted 2 other replies in this topic with embedded videos that show this comparison). And the "Muslim Brotherhood" is just referencing that she's from Iran. Her skin isn't even dark enough to give the impression she's Arabic (and she certainly wasn't dark enough to come across as black either). Yeah, there are different shades of skin of people that are Arabic. But I don't think that's the sentiment she was going for.

If I cared that much about it, I'd probably look into VJs political views. Being a former Obama appointee/staff member, it's a good bet that her stances aren't exactly conservative. But, if that's what Roseanne was going for... I can't say for sure. I just highly doubt she would've gone the "sandnigger" route.

This will be the 4th video I'm posting in this topic....

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

#376585 - 06/02/18 04:49 PM

> As for the "you look like an ape crossed with a sandnigger" thing... Eh, that seems
> to be your idea/conclusion. I'd only suggest these corrections to that thought. Not
> technically an "ape", but a character from the movie (I have posted 2 other replies
> in this topic with embedded videos that show this comparison). And the "Muslim
> Brotherhood" is just referencing that she's from Iran. Her skin isn't even dark
> enough to give the impression she's Arabic (and she certainly wasn't dark enough to
> come across as black either). Yeah, there are different shades of skin of people that
> are Arabic. But I don't think that's the sentiment she was going for.

That sounds a lot better then, you think she meant she's a primitive Iranian heritage descendant. I suppose to you discerning someone by putting emphasis where they do come from AND how under evolved they look/think isn't racist at all.

Put as much videos as you want, but please refrain from putting shirtless guys with bad haircuts (or lack of them). I'm not being racist, or xenophobic... or homophobic (not sure, I won't watch the video). It's just a request. If I wanted to see such content myself I would be on a porn site instead of here.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: PC thought police strike again new [Re: BIOS-D]
#376587 - 06/02/18 05:09 PM

About the racism levels, it is a thing because of the history in the US using ape on black people and the n word (I won't even type it) to do the most disgusting treatment on them for hundreds of years. That's why it's off the table for jokes. But on the other hand if I were to say something like Native Americans look like Mexicans but with cheek bones the size of a grapefruit, that's racist and probably not a good idea but on such a lower level than the black jokes that it's just not the same thing. Unless we're all going to turn into black and white thinking idiots.

Renegade
Got No Where Else to Go
Reged: 10/01/03
Send PM

#376590 - 06/02/18 07:13 PM

I find it hilarious, Rosanne is known for doing exactly what you see here, pissing people off, so what's new? The insensitive liberals.

Listen to some of the dumb left wing responses to the show since it's airing and no surprise to me that it's cancelled.

Besides if we are going to be the pc police why does Nancy Pelosi still have a job? Now there's a stupid bitch who backs it up just about every time she gets in front of a crowd and cameras.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Way to go, Roseanne! new [Re: Renegade]
#376591 - 06/02/18 07:18 PM

I think you need to be less broad with your "liberal brush". Just because some idiot on tv or twitter says something doesn't mean it's a left wing view.

The majority of the Democrat party (officials) is complete garbage but they also aren't left wing. They might call themselves that but they aren't.

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Re: PC thought police strike again new [Re: BIOS-D]
#376605 - 06/03/18 03:32 AM

> > As for the "you look like an ape crossed with a sandnigger" thing... Eh, that seems
> > to be your idea/conclusion. I'd only suggest these corrections to that thought. Not
> > technically an "ape", but a character from the movie (I have posted 2 other replies
> > in this topic with embedded videos that show this comparison). And the "Muslim
> > Brotherhood" is just referencing that she's from Iran. Her skin isn't even dark
> > enough to give the impression she's Arabic (and she certainly wasn't dark enough to
> > come across as black either). Yeah, there are different shades of skin of people
> that
> > are Arabic. But I don't think that's the sentiment she was going for.
>
> That sounds a lot better then, you think she meant she's a primitive Iranian heritage
> descendant. I suppose to you discerning someone by putting emphasis where they do
> come from AND how under evolved they look/think isn't racist at all.
>

Actually, I would think that's racist. I mean, the idea that thinking they're primitive or under-evolved (if I believed in that kind of Evolution anyway). But she was just saying she was ugly. Not primitive, etc. But if anyone wants to draw that comparison that's their choice.

> Put as much videos as you want, but please refrain from putting shirtless guys with
> bad haircuts (or lack of them). I'm not being racist, or xenophobic... or homophobic
> (not sure, I won't watch the video). It's just a request. If I wanted to see such
> content myself I would be on a porn site instead of here.

If you're referring to Styxhexenhammer666... He's got to be one of the (er, well, one of MY) top YouTubers when it comes to political commentary. If you're secure enough in your own masculinity, then you shouldn't have any fear of watching him (and getting turned on). But seriously, I do recommend watching him!

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: Way to go, Roseanne! new [Re: Renegade]
#376614 - 06/03/18 12:22 PM

> I find it hilarious, Rosanne is known for doing exactly what you see here, pissing
> people off, so what's new? The insensitive liberals.
>
> Listen to some of the dumb left wing responses to the show since it's airing and no
> surprise to me that it's cancelled.
>
> Besides if we are going to be the pc police why does Nancy Pelosi still have a job?
> Now there's a stupid bitch who backs it up just about every time she gets in front of
> a crowd and cameras.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
1 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1045