MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

KiLLerCloWnAdministrator
Head CloWn
Reged: 09/18/03
Loc: España
Send PM

What's your #1 game you used to rule at ...
#248331 - 03/08/11 03:08 PM

... and now blow like a comatose n00b?

Mine:

Kung Fu Master

I used to pwn than bish in the arcades.

Now I just gave it a few gos, first time after 10 years or so ... and I was crap! Took me almost 10 attempts to get past the first boss ... well, it took me about 5 until I remembered how it was supposed to be done and another 5 to pull it off ... lol

MARP here I come!

KC

www.mameworld.info
You know it makes sense!

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: What's your #1 game you used to rule at ... new [Re: KiLLerCloWn]
#248333 - 03/08/11 03:45 PM

> ... and now blow like a comatose n00b?
>

The last time I played some of the old Sonic games (Sega Genesis) I played really badly.

Used to be I'd get almost all the rings in most stages. The last one I played was Sonic 2, in the 2nd or 3rd stage (the one with the flooded ruins, outdoor).... I barely made it. But then again, I think I tried to play like I used to (not just rushing through the stage), and getting all or most of the rings. As well as trying to beat all the special stages to get the all the Chaos Emeralds.

I used to play games all the way through in one sitting.

LEVEL-4

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

#248334 - 03/08/11 04:16 PM

>
> Mine:
>
> Kung Fu Master
>
> I used to pwn than bish in the arcades.
>
> Now I just gave it a few gos, first time after 10 years or so ... and I was crap!
> Took me almost 10 attempts to get past the first boss ... well, it took me about 5
> until I remembered how it was supposed to be done and another 5 to pull it off ...
> lol
>
> MARP here I come!
>
> KC

Art of Fighting on the NeoGeo (a real machine).

I had a high score of like 450000 on that thing at one point. I even took a photo. Too bad I have no idea where that thing is.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Pitfall2 new [Re: KiLLerCloWn]
#248335 - 03/08/11 04:21 PM

Now I can't even time a rope swing right.

snake78
sineku setenta y ocho
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Newport, RI
Send PM

Re: Pitfall2 new [Re: GatKong]
#248336 - 03/08/11 04:31 PM

I never played that version of Pitfall II. I had the 2600 version when I was a kid... I remember thinking that it was huge... until I got to play an NES with SMB at the local dept store...

Speaking of Pitfall though, I just saw this... Jack Black was the kid on the commercial:

www.randyrobbinsmusic.com
RandyRobbinsMusic on Facebook

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

#248338 - 03/08/11 04:40 PM

Donkey Kong

My personal best is 82,000 and I've not come close in a long time. Even the lowest score on my high-score table is about 60,000 and I haven't even cracked that in a year or more.

Also Mega Man, and Mega Man II on NES. These days I can hardly make it to Wiley's castles before I get too frustrated and turn it off.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#248342 - 03/08/11 06:05 PM

- Contra (NES). I used to be able to beat it without the 30 guys cheat and without even using a continue. Last time I tried, I blew all my continues and still couldn't beat it. I haven't tried with the cheat recently, I'd hope I can still beat it then.

- Bionic Commando (NES). I used to be able to beat this one every time, usually without dying at all. My most recent attempt ended in failure.

jopezu
bread-train
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: georgia
Send PM

honestly... new [Re: KiLLerCloWn]
#248343 - 03/08/11 06:30 PM

>
> Mine:
>
> Kung Fu Master
>
>
> Now I just gave it a few gos, first time after 10 years or so ... and I was crap!
> Took me almost 10 attempts to get past the first boss ... well, it took me about 5
> until I remembered how it was supposed to be done and another 5 to pull it off ...
> lol
>
> MARP here I come!
>
> KC

if i really used to rule at them, it's all still there intact.

just the other day my nephews were playing SMB3 on the wii's virtual console. i picked up the controller and (to my utter amazement) i ruled the game like i used to when i was 12 years old. it's like i was possessed by a video-game playing angel. i thought when i got to the last castle i'd have to die a few times and feel my way around to remember... i straight flattened it on the 1st try.

there were 6 people in the room watching, and i was probably the only person there that was impressed.

same way with fighters like sf2 and mk - it might take a minute or 2, but it all comes back.

edit-----

i will fess up though, i used to own the 2nd and 3rd routes in starfox, and i struggled with them the other day. so, there are examples, but i think i kept most of it.

Edited by jopezu (03/08/11 06:32 PM)

i learned everything i know from KC

TheBigAmbulance
And STILL not ginger....
Reged: 01/03/08
Send PM

Legend of Zelda 2 - NES new [Re: KiLLerCloWn]
#248344 - 03/08/11 06:37 PM

That was the first time I went into the forest and killed the small enemies for life and attack points ala South Park's 'Sword of a Thousand Truths' style.

Beat that SOB anyway!

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Loc: Boston, Mass.
Send PM

#248355 - 03/08/11 09:19 PM

I was pretty good at Forgotten Worlds and Streets of Rage on the Genesis. Would be pretty sad yet comical if I tried them today. Which I might just do later now that I'm thinking about it.

Also used to be great at MK3 and Tekken 2. Would practice them on the Playstation at home and challenge all comers at the arcade. With MK3, I only mastered Sub-Zero. Similar deal with Tekken 2 where I mastered just Jun Kazama's moves. I never bothered with other characters on either for some reason.

Today I'm OK at both but I've lost most of my swagger and panache.

--
A story of one man and his obsession with the female anatomy.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

Re: Legend of Zelda 2 - NES new [Re: TheBigAmbulance]
#248356 - 03/08/11 09:31 PM

> That was the first time I went into the forest and killed the small enemies for life
> and attack points ala South Park's 'Sword of a Thousand Truths' style.
>
> Beat that SOB anyway!

I did the same thing. I found a spot in the forest and positioned Link so that slimes only came from one edge of the screen. Then I taped the joystick on my NES Advantage down so that it made Link squat down and put something heavy on the sword button with turbo enabled. Then it was a matter of letting it run for a few days to max out my experience.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

#248362 - 03/08/11 10:16 PM

Street Fighter in general. From twenty to ten years ago, I used to be fairly well known in the local circuits-- a local game shop used to print out my receipts with an embarrassing name because I was the local champ.

I developed arthritis around 2003 and that was the end of it for me. I can still beat down a lot of the kids that challenge me, but I'm certainly not up to the spec of the best players-- even at the regional level.

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

Allnatural
No Preservatives
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Toledo, OH. USA
Send PM

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out new [Re: KiLLerCloWn]
#248368 - 03/09/11 12:58 AM

I could practically beat that game blindfolded way back when. I remember I was the first kid in the neighborhood that could, so I had to prove it to all my friends that Tyson could be beaten.

These days, Great Tiger gives me a lot of trouble, and it only gets worse from there. By the time I reach Bald Bull 2 I've had enough.

aavada
master of unlocking
Reged: 09/25/10
Send PM

Re: Legend of Zelda 2 - NES new [Re: krick]
#248372 - 03/09/11 01:29 AM

Cheating bast! Oh, wait... I did the same thing with Drakkhen on the SNES.

I found a room where a mob would instantly respawn when killed. I put my "tank" next to the spawn point, locked the controller button down and went to sleep. BOOM, everyone has 255 HP.

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: Mike Tyson's Punch-Out new [Re: Allnatural]
#248373 - 03/09/11 01:33 AM

> I could practically beat that game blindfolded way back when. I remember I was the
> first kid in the neighborhood that could, so I had to prove it to all my friends that
> Tyson could be beaten.
>
> These days, Great Tiger gives me a lot of trouble, and it only gets worse from there.
> By the time I reach Bald Bull 2 I've had enough.

Fuck Tyson and the pigeon he rode in on...

//still not bitter in the slightest...

Toe-Knee
Send PM

#248376 - 03/09/11 02:27 AM

>
> Mine:
>
> Kung Fu Master
>
>
> lol
>
> MARP here I come!
>
> KC

NHL '94 for the Sega Genesis (I'm Canadian eh?) We had a tournament in high-school and I won the Stanley Cup. I was just too good for all the others

Gemini
Loc: Georgia
Send PM

#248378 - 03/09/11 03:18 AM Attachment: MsPacMan_atariage.png 3 KB (1 downloads)

That's a tough question for me, because I wasn't great at a lot of games growing up. I'm not very good at platformers, but I used to be okay with SMB3 and SMW. The only game that comes to mind would be Ms. Pac-Man on Atari. I used to be great at that game, but I'm pretty lousy at Pac-Man games now.

Notable mention- I used to be able to get a 100 on the first airplane stage of Pilot Wings only using the throttle up and down, not the d-pad. It might not be much of an accomplishment compared to other gamers, but none of the other kids I knew could do it

not my screenshot

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Duke Nukem 1 new [Re: KiLLerCloWn]
#248403 - 03/09/11 01:08 PM

The platformer on the PC. I used to rule at that. Now I suck terribly - I only survive about two levels.

jopezu
bread-train
Loc: georgia
Send PM

Re: Legend of Zelda 2 - NES new [Re: TheBigAmbulance]
#248410 - 03/09/11 05:05 PM

> That was the first time I went into the forest and killed the small enemies for life
> and attack points ala South Park's 'Sword of a Thousand Truths' style.
>
> Beat that SOB anyway!

i can still beat this game blindfolded. my wife bought a used NES and about 10 games from a guy at her work a few years back. i loaded zelda 2 at 8pm, and finished up a little after midnight.

boom.

Fever
Reformed Sk3n3 Quitter
Loc: Britland
Send PM

Re: What's your #1 game you used to rule at ... new [Re: Gemini]
#248433 - 03/09/11 10:09 PM

> > ... and now blow like a comatose n00b?
>
> That's a tough question for me, because I wasn't great at a lot of games growing up.
> I'm not very good at platformers, but I used to be okay with SMB3 and SMW. The only
> game that comes to mind would be Ms. Pac-Man on Atari. I used to be great at that
> game, but I'm pretty lousy at Pac-Man games now.
>

I've said this before but some of the more ambitious 2600 I used to be OK at I literally can't make head nor tail of now - its like I'm this blob and I'm meant to do what to what blob?
Adventure, Star Raiders 2 and Haunted House would be examples, and the Raider of the Lost Arc game - what the hells THAT!

Edited by Fever (03/09/11 10:09 PM)

Laidback93
Little by little going insane
Loc: Modesto, CA
Send PM

#248455 - 03/10/11 03:37 AM

I used to think I was great at Marvel vs Capcom 2. That is until I finally bought the PSN version and had my ass handed to me online. Maybe I was playing Justin Wong with an alias. Hah, yeah right. It was probably a 13 year old.

Sad...

But on a more positive note, I too beat Zelda 2 in like a few hours a while back.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

Re: What's your #1 game you used to rule at ... new [Re: Laidback93]
#248462 - 03/10/11 04:49 AM

> I used to think I was great at Marvel vs Capcom 2. That is until I finally bought the
> PSN version and had my ass handed to me online. Maybe I was playing Justin Wong with
> an alias. Hah, yeah right. It was probably a 13 year old.

In my experience, playing *any* game online for the first time is a humbling experience. There's always some 13-year-old waiting to mop the floor with you.

Gemini
Loc: Georgia
Send PM

Re: Raiders of the Lost Ark new [Re: Fever]
#248469 - 03/10/11 05:14 AM Attachment: Raiders_of_the_Lost_Ark.gif 7 KB (1 downloads)

> I've said this before but some of the more ambitious 2600 I used to be OK at I
> literally can't make head nor tail of now - its like I'm this blob and I'm meant to
> do what to what blob?
> Adventure, Star Raiders 2 and Haunted House would be examples, and the Raider of the
> Lost Arc game - what the hells THAT!

I love Raiders of the Lost Ark. When you get to the Black Market, "the Raving Lunatic will kill you if you try to cross his path - you must pacify him with something." That's easy to understand, right?

Riddle of the Sphinx was the one I could never beat. What does Ra want anyway? From what I recall, all he wanted to do was kill me, after it took me so long to reach the end.

Jerk.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

Re: Raiders of the Lost Ark new [Re: Gemini]
#248472 - 03/10/11 06:08 AM

> Riddle of the Sphinx was the one I could never beat. What does Ra want anyway? From
> what I recall, all he wanted to do was kill me, after it took me so long to reach the
> end.

As I recall, the trick to Riddle of the Sphinx was to go BACKWARDS at the start of the game.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: What's your #1 game you used to rule at ... new [Re: DMala]
#248529 - 03/10/11 08:17 PM

> > I used to think I was great at Marvel vs Capcom 2. That is until I finally bought
> the
> > PSN version and had my ass handed to me online. Maybe I was playing Justin Wong
> with
> > an alias. Hah, yeah right. It was probably a 13 year old.
>
> In my experience, playing *any* game online for the first time is a humbling
> experience. There's always some 13-year-old waiting to mop the floor with you.

I kicked ass in Quake 3 against the bots on hardest AI setting and best CPU players... then I played online.

- Stiletto

KiLLerCloWnAdministrator
Head CloWn
Reged: 09/18/03
Loc: España
Send PM

Re: What's your #1 game you used to rule at ... new [Re: Stiletto]
#248532 - 03/10/11 08:42 PM

I was pretty heavily into Q3A, played in a clan and Championships etc, even ran a few servers. In my heyday I used to be pretty hot, went entire nights without losing a single game. I made it several times "unofficial" world number one in "instagib" mod. (Amateur level of course)

If I go online now, I get my ass kicked like I had never played the game before. Of course I've lost my punch, but it seems that the few people who still play the game now are the real hard-core who have been refining their skills for the last 10 years without break. They've probably half grown into the game and have a little digital existence on the quake servers. Scary!

KC

Mojo2000
Regular
Loc: North America
Send PM

#248566 - 03/11/11 04:02 AM

- Sky Soldiers. Could play all the way through on one quarter. It so happened that the firebutton on that particular machine at the UBC arcade used leaf switches, so I was able to "trill" the button with my third and fourth fingers for manual rapid-fire. I never found another Sky Soldiers machine like that one.

- UN Squadron. Same as above.

- Slap Fight. Wrapped that sucker 3.5 times once.

NOW, twenty-four years later (ZOMG), I can't play those worth beans in MAME. It helps a lot to haul out the old X-Arcade 2P panel, but I'm still dead meat.

Laidback93
Little by little going insane
Loc: Modesto, CA
Send PM

#248621 - 03/11/11 11:19 PM

> I was pretty heavily into Q3A, played in a clan and Championships etc, even ran a few
> servers. In my heyday I used to be pretty hot, went entire nights without losing a
> single game. I made it several times "unofficial" world number one in "instagib" mod.
> (Amateur level of course)
>
> If I go online now, I get my ass kicked like I had never played the game before. Of
> course I've lost my punch, but it seems that the few people who still play the game
> now are the real hard-core who have been refining their skills for the last 10 years
> without break. They've probably half grown into the game and have a little digital
> existence on the quake servers. Scary!
>
> KC

I remember playing UT99 with some regular Loony Binners back in the day. That was good times!

Fever
Reformed Sk3n3 Quitter
Loc: Britland
Send PM

Re: Raiders of the Lost Ark new [Re: Gemini]
#248624 - 03/11/11 11:50 PM

> > I've said this before but some of the more ambitious 2600 I used to be OK at I
> > literally can't make head nor tail of now - its like I'm this blob and I'm meant to
> > do what to what blob?
> > Adventure, Star Raiders 2 and Haunted House would be examples, and the Raider of
> the
> > Lost Arc game - what the hells THAT!
>
> I love Raiders of the Lost Ark. When you get to the Black Market, "the Raving Lunatic
> will kill you if you try to cross his path - you must pacify him with something."
> That's easy to understand, right?
>
>

IIRC you used the 2nd joystick to control you inventory while you played which was very ambitious and ground breaking for the system it was on but not a very convenient control system!
I remember I once got my Nan to do it for me, I think it was [fire] to drop items and they just disappeared. I wanted her to drop a load of my old crap I'd been hoarding then select the whip but she didn't get this and dropped the whip too leaving me trapped in a box I was meant to whip my way out of! I was angry! She's dead now!

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

Re: What's your #1 game you used to rule at ... new [Re: Laidback93]
#248625 - 03/12/11 12:06 AM

Quote:

I remember playing UT99 with some regular Loony Binners back in the day. That was good times!

Why don't we do that now?

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

Re: What's your #1 game you used to rule at ... new [Re: Hizzout]
#248626 - 03/12/11 12:33 AM

> I remember playing UT99 with some regular Loony Binners back in the day. That was
> good times!
>
> Why don't we do that now?

Too busy playing Minecraft.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 4062