MAMEWorld >> MAME Artwork X: Other Artwork Projects
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Reged: 03/14/15
Loc: UK
Send PM

Vaughan's Custom Bezels (Archive of Multiple Posts)
#342408 - 07/13/15 12:35 AM

Quote:

Per Vaughan's request... there is a new thread, with screenshots and links to the artwork. But I can't just delete all his comments for each game, and I of course can't delete other person's replies and thank you's. Lot of good stuff in there.

This is my alternative solution... all of his comments below. Everyone else's replies are still part of the original thread where they belong.

-- Mr. Do

Copied from original thread. Topics posted 7/13*2015 - 7/19/2015

Rug Rats

Rug Rats (AKA Wiping) is a fun little game that is somewhat spoiled by a poor color scheme. Since enemy positions are random at the start of each game, it can be really tough to play.

What it needed was some kind of Bezel.

And here is one until something better comes along:

Galaxian Part I

Nothing to say about this game, other than the original bezel is/was dull dull dull (although whoever put it together for Mame did a great job).

There's another custom bezel out there, but for games with a black background I prefer a black bezel.

Having created a few bezels very quickly today, I thought this one would be a breeze. It was far from it. Every image on this has had extensive clean-up. Black and white images have been colored, some blemishes in the original paper prints were all touched up. Along with that, I had to create the scorecard from two pieces. They were originally blue, but I wanted black. The easy thing to do would have been to delete the text there, and type in new text - but I wanted to keep the exact font, so I went in and had colored each letter. Yeah, each letter - and that took forever.

The end result is...... disappointing. It just doesn't look right. I'll likely revisit this at some other time, but it won't be soon. For now it'll do its job.

WARNING - don't forget that if you copy this to your ARTWORK folder you'll overwrite what's there. Instead - rename the current Galaxian.zip file to something else before trying this - that way if you hate it you can switch back.

Galaxian Part II

Well, the whole Galaxian bevel thing was bugging me, so it was time to go back and see what I could do.

As you see, I made changes. I'm still not happy with it, but it's a step in the right direction (I think).

On a 16:9 the score card looks a little squat - I'm conflicted, because this is happening because of the Bevel ratio (in keeping with the games, it's scaled for 4:3, which is then stretched by Mame to fit 16:9, creating a little distortion). I'm not in a mind to change it just yet.

My main issue is the picture on the lower right hand panel. You can see where my design skills are lacking. I think of everything so damn symmetrical. There was another picture I'd of preferred to use, but the only scan of it I have is very grainy (even the image itself is grainy) and that makes playing with it more difficult (if you want to lasso elements it's really hard, and then blending small detail out is virtually impossible to do invisibly, at least with my skills).

Still, I stylized a bit, and it helps somewhat. I wish I was more creative - but it ain't to be.

Moon Cresta

Well, the whole Galaxian bevel thing was bugging me, so it was time to go back and see what I could do.

As you see, I made changes. I'm still not happy with it, but it's a step in the right direction (I think).

On a 16:9 the score card looks a little squat - I'm conflicted, because this is happening because of the Bevel ratio (in keeping with the games, it's scaled for 4:3, which is then stretched by Mame to fit 16:9, creating a little distortion). I'm not in a mind to change it just yet.

My main issue is the picture on the lower right hand panel. You can see where my design skills are lacking. I think of everything so damn symmetrical. There was another picture I'd of preferred to use, but the only scan of it I have is very grainy (even the image itself is grainy) and that makes playing with it more difficult (if you want to lasso elements it's really hard, and then blending small detail out is virtually impossible to do invisibly, at least with my skills).

Still, I stylized a bit, and it helps somewhat. I wish I was more creative - but it ain't to be.

Gaplus

Galaga is one heck of a game, but for me it was always Gaplus. I used to play this over a few pints of a lunch time - good times!

I had found a Bezel for this around the net, but frankly it was pretty poor, consisting only of an instruction card - in Japanese - and nothing more. A stellar game like Gaplus deserved better!!!

Well, better as in as good as I could make it right now. This took quite a bit of time - three or four hours - because the source material needed all kinds of masking, joining, and distorting. Also, after my last effort (Galaxian) I didn't want it to be so "blocky". Using symmetrical squares is, for the me creative side, a curse. So this time I went all out to make things flow a little more - and to have some different embellishments to stop it looking as though it was made in five minutes (which it still might do, but I can assure you it didn't)

Most work went into the aliens in the right panel, and instruction card. I decided against keeping the original fonts, deciding close was close enough (it would have taken a lot more work to keep them, editing at the pixel level.

All in all, famous last words, but this is one of my favorites of those I've done. Maybe it's because I just finished it. I have a lot of games to go - so onwards and upwards!!!

Don't forget, you may already have a Bezel for Gaplus - in which case you must either merge these, or overwrite what you have. If you had the same as I did it wasn't a hard decision - I just overwrote it (apologies if the person who created the original on reads this, no offense intended).

Phoenix

Pheonix is a great game, a true classic.

Taking a look around, it seems there was never a Bezel that matched the quality of the title. I already had a file in my ARTWORK directory - but it only contained artwork for the cocktail version, along with a generic bezel that is no doubt the original.

I wanted something a little more exciting. I plundered the cocktail art for the logo and eagle on the left, along with the instruction card. I didn't recreate the instruction card, opting instead to go in, pixel by pixel, to brighten it up for more contrast. I'm amazed it looks as good as it does, and that it's readable at all.

The picture on the right was something else entirely, and took quite a bit of work. It's from a flyer - the problem being the original was printed across two pages, and for no doubt good reason, the two scans didn't match up. I had to go in and recreate some bits, blend others, and join yet more in a way that appeared seamless. It's a really laborious process, but at the same time kind of relaxing. If anyone wants the complete image let me know, and I'll make sure you get it - might save you time should you ever need to join them yourself.

Anyway - you might well have a Pheonix Zip, so don't forget to rename that one if you choose to try this one.

As always - forgive any obvious errors, they're unintentional.

Berzerk

Berzerk is yet another classic title - better yet, the original Bezel was/is a true work of art. And wouldn't you know, some genius recreated it for Mame in the past.

You'd think there was nothing more that could be done for the title, but in my playing about I thought it would be nice to have a background image. Those who want authenticity can run for the hills.

Note - the zip file contains the original Bezel. I'm not sure I should be doing that, but I don't think it can be improved upon, and posting my background here without the original Bezel would be sacrilege.

Astro Fighter

Ever get involved in something you wish you'd never started?

The image on the right is from a flyer - but the flyer is covered with text and screen shots. I had to go in and take all that out, and draw back in the missing pieces. Safe to say, that wasn't something that took five minutes.

As an added bonus here, I've included an option to play with no Bezel - but with a nice star background.

Mr. Do's Castle

Good game, but with a generic Bezel - so here's something different.

Smash TV

Okay, so the amount of work I've done on this is zero. It seems to have been created by someone named Aioros back in 2012 ( I found it here: http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=185772&page=4)

He did a great job, so it was just a matter of putting it into a zip.

Mercs

Well, another in the series. Merc's is a good game, except I play the opening sequence over and over and can't get passed the beginning after you jump out of the vehicle. So frustrating.

Still, it's well done, and deserving of more than the original bevel, which is/was yawn inducing. This one livens things up a bit.

Amidar

The original Bezel - implemented in Mame - is excellent and good fun. There's really no way to improve on it, nor am I inspired to do anything differently.

However, a nice background does cheer things up a little bit.

So here it is!

Jungler

Well, I expect I'm getting on everyone's nerves at the moment with so many postings.

Jungler though needs something to make it prettier. It's a decent game, but with no Bezel, a little sad looking. No worries!

And apologies again for posting so many of these......

Marvin's Maze

Here's another one.

Guys - are these worth my while to keep doing? I've posted a lot now, and my goal was to add some color to those games either without a Bezel, or with a poor Bezel (design wise).

But I don't want to fill this forum up with my lame Photoshop skills and just annoy everyone.

Anyways - Marvin's Maze is a decent game - but lacked a Bezel. So here's one to brighten things up.

Block Out

This is such a strange take on Tetris - but none the worse for that. All it needed was a Bezel.

Outzone

After my epic battle with Nemo, this one was simplicity itself, taking a whopping fifteen minutes.

Very simple - but better than a blank space.

Wily Tower

Wily Tower wasn't a game I remember playing, but I found it in Mame and found it quite compelling. It has that key element that every time you die, you feel as though YOU did something wrong.

You have to make your way through five floors (I think it's five) before completing the game (then it recycles). I played this quite a bit, and was finally able to beat it with only a single coin. Proof that practice makes perfect. Perhaps I'll replay it now it has a nice Bezel.

Van Van Car

Well, this Bezel is basically rubbish - it clearly fits in the "better than nothing" category. Except in this case, nothing might actually be preferable.

Problem here was the almost total lack of source material.

As for the game itself, it's another one I played a lot - finally getting it to cycle through all the mazes (I think that's 12 or 15 Mazes) with a single coin.

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

Run Deep (AKA The Deep) Custom Bezel new [Re: Vaughan]
#342411 - 07/13/15 12:47 AM Attachment: rundeep.jpg 289 KB (5 downloads)

Run Deep is a great game - you can follow the idea right through from the very earliest games, yet a new coat of paint elevates it.

What it needed was a Bezel - so here it is:

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Edited by Vaughan (07/13/15 12:48 AM)

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

Re: Run Deep (AKA The Deep) Custom Bezel new [Re: Vaughan]
#342412 - 07/13/15 12:51 AM

** attachment removed **

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

Eyes - Original Bezel? new [Re: Vaughan]
#342414 - 07/13/15 02:00 AM Attachment: OBevel.jpg 338 KB (7 downloads)

Okay - so I've done very minimal work on this one. I found this picture on the net, and it suggests it may well have been the original bezel. As such I have done very little to it. I boosted the colors slightly, did a small amount of sharpening. Then I simply set up the LAY file to allow it to be used with Mame.

Attachment

Comboman
Can't think of a good title
Reged: 12/30/12
Loc: Halifax, Canada
Send PM

Re: Eyes - Original Bezel? new [Re: Vaughan]
#342442 - 07/13/15 10:28 PM

Eyes was developed by Rockola who released it in the US with the generic bezel you see on Mr. Do's site. What you've found is the bezel for the European version by Zaccaria (the porthole shaped opening is classic Zaccaria style). Actually, it appears to be an image from flyer, as the final bezel is slightly different (see below).

Due to shipping costs and/or import tariffs, a lot of arcade games in the 80s came to Europe as PCBs with local companies building cabinets for them locally. Most of those cabs were pretty plain or just copies of the US/Japanese versions. Zaccaria was different. They were an Italian pinball company with on-staff artists and facilities for making pinball backglasses which they were able to modify to produce bezels. The artwork is sometimes quirky but always very colorful and creative (often more-so than the original art). Also, it seems like no one told the artists that many of the games had vertical monitors, because the "portholes" are almost always horizontal.

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

Re: Eyes - Original Bezel? new [Re: Comboman]
#342443 - 07/13/15 10:44 PM

Excellent -thanks for some great info!

I admit I haven't really considered different Bezels in each territory. Mame has been good in taking me "back to the day", but when it comes to games such as this I don't think I ever came across it in the real world.

You're right about the portal - it is strange. In the end though, it looks good on my monitor - so there's life in these Bezels yet!

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

Timber - Original Bezel (NOT mine) new [Re: Vaughan]
#342515 - 07/15/15 11:25 PM Attachment: bezel.jpg 245 KB (4 downloads)

From what I've seen on these forums someone is already working on the original Timber bezel. Once done and released, it will no doubt look a LOT better than this one.

But in the mean time - as this is a game I really love - I thought I'd throw one out that I found through Google. It's not great quality, but then until the current restoration is complete, we won't get better.

Attachment

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Reged: 05/22/13
Loc: Mount St. Lurkling
Send PM

#342573 - 07/17/15 07:13 AM

The zip file should be named thedeep.zip. That is what the parent is named. You need to correct this mistake because you named it after the clone, rundeep.zip.

Jason
Regular
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: PA
Send PM

Re: Vaughan's Custom Bezels new [Re: Vaughan]
#342575 - 07/17/15 07:26 AM

Hi Vaughan,

Just wanted to take a moment to say thank you for all of your hard work on these bezels. Thanks for taking time out of your busy days to provide us with the beautiful artwork that adds a nice touch to playing these games.

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Send PM

#342576 - 07/17/15 07:27 AM

Will all these unofficial artwork files be added to Mr. Do's MAME Artwork website?

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

Re: Vaughan's Custom Bezels new [Re: Big Karnak]
#342577 - 07/17/15 07:34 AM

That's not my call, BK. I've not had contact with Mr. Do, and really don't know what he allows on his site or not. For the moment I'll continue to post them here on the assumption that most of those interested will look here.

Thanks for responding.

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

Re: Vaughan's Custom Bezels new [Re: Jason]
#342578 - 07/17/15 07:38 AM

Thank you, Jason.

I really didn't want to continue down this road if it annoyed people rather than perhaps made things a little more fun.

I'm only targeting games with either no current bezel, or a Bezel that is deathly dull (such as the Mercs one).

Many games already have fantastic Bezels, there's no need for anyone to do any work on them. I'm also only just learning Photoshop - it sometimes feels as though it would be earlier climbing Everest, talk about steep learning curve.

Thanks again.

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

Re: Run Deep (AKA The Deep) Custom Bezel new [Re: Big Karnak]
#342579 - 07/17/15 07:39 AM

Point taken.

Here's why this happened - I actually play Run deep, not The Deep. But The Deep is the original game. When I looked for official artwork, I only found ones relating to The Deep.

So yeah, I mixed and matched. Apologies.

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Send PM

#342581 - 07/17/15 07:53 AM

Just a suggestion... If you plan on continuing to make these unofficial artwork files... it would be nice if you created a small database of these uploaded on your personal website to make it easier and more organized for people to browse and download them. Because if you just keep them on this thread, they can easily get lost and/or forgotten.

I'm not sure if you have a personal website or not, but now days, many people have some kind of personal website/blog or whatever.

Or you could upload them to a file sharing website like https://mega.co.nz/ and then share the link with everyone so we can bookmark it.

Edited by Big Karnak (07/17/15 08:01 AM)

Jason
Regular
Send PM

#342583 - 07/17/15 12:24 PM

ugh! Regarding Photoshop, you have my deepest sympathy. Sounds like a real challenge (a.k.a PITA). Regarding the bezels, I can't imagine anyone getting annoyed or upset with the work you are doing, especially since you are only adding and not doing any modifications. Again, this only adds to the enjoyment of the games. Then again, this is the Internet so who knows how people will respond. So far, so good.

Comboman
Send PM

Re: Timber - Original Bezel (NOT mine) new [Re: Vaughan]
#342585 - 07/17/15 02:46 PM

> From what I've seen on these forums someone is already working on the original Timber
> bezel. Once done and released, it will no doubt look a LOT better than this one.

I posted the finished bezel a while ago here. It's not perfect but definitely higher resolution.

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

Re: Run Deep (AKA The Deep) Custom Bezel new [Re: Big Karnak]
#342614 - 07/18/15 12:07 AM

Well, I'm just playing at the moment, I'll continue on for as long as it's fun to do it. I don't have a web site or anything, or any place to store these. I really don't feel "precious" about them (even the lay files aren't commented with my name or anything). These are more things I'm casting into the wind - which is, after all, the essence of Mame.

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

Bionic Commando - Custom Bezel new [Re: Vaughan]
#342615 - 07/18/15 12:09 AM Attachment: bezel.jpg 244 KB (4 downloads)

I was surprised to find that I didn't have a Bezel for this game in my copy of Mame - surely there must be a real one?

No matter - a little tinker here, a little tinker there, and four hours or five hours of dabbing at it - I came up with this:

Attachment

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

Re: Bionic Commando - Custom Bezel new [Re: Vaughan]
#342616 - 07/18/15 12:12 AM

** attachment removed **

Zippidy Doo Dah!

Jason
Regular
Send PM

Re: Bionic Commando - Custom Bezel new [Re: Vaughan]
#342621 - 07/18/15 02:16 AM

Zip-A-Dee-A

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

Gemini Wing - Custom Bezel new [Re: Vaughan]
#342626 - 07/18/15 03:54 AM Attachment: bezel.jpg 397 KB (7 downloads)

Alright, I'll admit it, I ran out of time with this one. Still, I'll put it out there as is.

Gemini Wing is a decent game, but for me it's fiendishly difficult. Still - at least I have a Bezel to look at.

Attachment

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

Re: Gemini Wing - Custom Bezel new [Re: Vaughan]
#342627 - 07/18/15 04:00 AM

** attachment removed **

You know what this is.

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Send PM

Re: Gemini Wing - Custom Bezel new [Re: Vaughan]
#342629 - 07/18/15 05:23 AM

Mr. Do should really add these to the unofficial artwork section of his website. These look real nice man. Good job. I hope Mr. Do sees this.

I got a question... well, more like a request...

I would love to see a [nemo] artwork/bezel created. I like that game a lot. http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=thumbs&db=videodb&id=1683

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

Nemo - Custom Bezel new [Re: Vaughan]
#342653 - 07/19/15 12:20 AM Attachment: Bezel.jpg 301 KB (3 downloads)

Okay - so this was the least fun I've had in ages, and while it doesn't look like it, it's literally taken hours.

Part of the issue with this one was self-inflicted. I took the blue color of the border directly from the game. I thought that was fair enough. This game is very colorful, and having a black border just seemed wrong.

All well and good - but then I set to work on getting the images from the source. The background on the source just wasn't interesting, so I knew I'd have to isolate each item I wanted. Easy to do. Then they needed tidying up - and that was when I made error number two. Instead of spending a lot of time on the clean-up, I cheated and blocked things out with the background color (the blue of the border).

When it came time to test the bezel, I decided the border color needed to be a little darker - but that's when my problems came home to roost - since I'd cheated on each graphic, if I wanted to change the border color, I'd have to go back and rework every graphic too. Since I suffered a Photoshop crash mid-work, I didn't even have my isolated sources. Urghhhhhhh.

I stuck with what I had. I had to choose which graphics to use. I personally like have the "how to play the game" available, and on the source this is done by way of individual drawings. I included all of them, along with the all the text. However, with testing, the test was unreadable. More Urgh.

Then there is the logo - which is none too exciting, and anyway is this game called NEMO or NE MO? Weird. Placing it was a real brain bender, what with all the other smaller items.

Anyway, just some background. This ain't perfect, but hopefully it's better than nothing.

ps: I had to put the train on the Bezel, the train rules!

Attachment

Edited by Vaughan (07/19/15 12:21 AM)

Comboman
Send PM

Re: Nemo - Custom Bezel new [Re: Vaughan]
#342662 - 07/19/15 03:50 AM

> Then there is the logo - which is none too exciting, and anyway is this game called
> NEMO or NE MO?

The letter spacing on the logo is odd, but the game is definitely called Nemo. It's based on the Japanese animated film Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland which in turn was based on an American turn-of-century comic strip.

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Send PM

Re: Nemo - Custom Bezel new [Re: Vaughan]
#342663 - 07/19/15 04:40 AM

Thanks! Sorry my request turned out to be a pain. But it looks great. Nice job!

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

Re: Nemo - Custom Bezel new [Re: Big Karnak]
#342672 - 07/19/15 01:27 PM

As I've said several times, I'm learning as I go. The main problem with this one was some of the decisions I made early on.

The source material still strikes me as strange - it seems to me to be very dark and brooding in the background (probably from the movie tie-in Comborman mentioned), but the game itself is anything but, being very bright and colorful.

Still - as long as you're happy it's all good.

Edited by Vaughan (07/19/15 01:34 PM)

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

#342675 - 07/19/15 01:50 PM

Just to let people know, I've emailed Mr. Do at the address given on this site. I've yet to hear back, but if he decides to host these I'll post about it here.

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

Zaxxon - (NOT MINE) Updated Bezel new [Re: Vaughan]
#342678 - 07/19/15 02:12 PM Attachment: Bezelshine.jpg 342 KB (2 downloads)

First and foremost - I did NOT do any of the artwork here. this artwork is available elsewhere, and originally contained a version for 16:9 and 16:10 screens.

So why do anything to it?

To put it simply - it didn't quite work for me. For vertical games I like to have the maximum game size on my TV. In the original version I couldn't get it without losing some of the Bezel. If I chose the 16:9 option, then it displayed the complete Bezel, but in a strip across the center of the screen. I'd guess I'm losing 20% or so of the screen to blank space. If I then went into Video Options and chose "Cropped", I'd get full size - but the artwork was cropped.

So - it was a simple matter to fix this, to add a little shine, and repost.

I have left the original comments in the LAY file, adding my own own name as such:

- Artwork type: Custom Widescreen
- Widescreen graphics by hausjam
- Based on graphics in official arcade artwork
- Lay file by Vaughan
- Edit and Shine added by Vaughan

I don't know who hausjam is - but good work man! I hope you don't mind my tinkering.

Did anyone else have this issue with the original file, or was it just me?

Attachment

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

Re: Zaxxon - (NOT MINE) Updated Bezel new [Re: Vaughan]
#342679 - 07/19/15 02:14 PM Attachment: zaxxon.zip 4712 KB (21 downloads)

This file is fast, you might say zippy!

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Send PM

PuLiRuLa new [Re: Vaughan]
#342682 - 07/19/15 02:59 PM

I'm not sure if you've ever played this game... but it's a favorite of mine and it's a shame not many people know about it. Check the game out and if you like it, maybe you could make an artwork bezel for it. The game is called PuLiRuLa.

(Btw, I replayed Nemo and beat it again with the new bezel you made. )

Edited by Big Karnak (07/19/15 03:01 PM)

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

Re: PuLiRuLa new [Re: Big Karnak]
#342684 - 07/19/15 03:19 PM

Never heard of it - I'll give it a go.

You're obviously way better at these games than me.

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

Re: PuLiRuLa new [Re: Vaughan]
#342689 - 07/19/15 05:16 PM Attachment: Bezel.jpg 1502 KB (0 downloads)

Alright - I did a search for source material, but there's nothing out there at all. Sorry.

However, searching for the game on Google and clicking IMAGES brought this source up.

WTF?!? LOL

Attachment

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

Re: PuLiRuLa new [Re: Vaughan]
#342690 - 07/19/15 05:17 PM Attachment: PuLiRuLa.zip 1894 KB (9 downloads)

Don't know why you'd want it, but here it is.

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

Crazy Balloon - Custom Bezel new [Re: Vaughan]
#342693 - 07/19/15 06:41 PM Attachment: Bezel.jpg 321 KB (3 downloads)

Crazy Balloon is one of those early games that was simple, yet terribly difficult. It was early days, so you're limited to four balloons (players), and frankly, you've got to be some kind of arcade genius to get too far.

The other cool thing about this game is that the graphics are essentially non-existent (hopefully the elaborate artwork of the new Bezel distracts you from being too bothered by the look), I remember programming a version for the Atari back in the day using BASIC.

Anyway - it's Bezel time!

Attachment

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

Re: Crazy Balloon - Custom Bezel new [Re: Vaughan]
#342694 - 07/19/15 06:44 PM Attachment: crbaloon.zip 16422 KB (13 downloads)

Don't pop the Zip!

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

#342696 - 07/19/15 07:27 PM

Ladies and Gents!

I have previously used this board in threaded mode, which I didn't actually like. I've changed it now so it looks more like a traditional discussion board - only to find this thread is a nightmare to read due to all the examples.

As such, I think it will be better in future if I create an individual thread for each Game/Bezel. It's just much easier to manage.

For the record, I've done Bezels for this following (some good, some rather embarrassing, but that's what happens when you're learning as you go).

Wily Tower
Outzone
Nemo
Gemini Wing
Block Out
Bionic Commando
Marvin's Maze
Jungler
Amidar
Mercs
Timber
Smash TV
Mr Do Castle
Astro Fighter
Berzerk
Pheonix
Gaplus
Moon Cresta
Galaxian
Eyes
Run Deep
Rug Rats
Pirate Ship
Super Glob
Rompers
Zaxxon
Van Van Car
PuLiRuLa
Crazy Balloon

Jason
Regular
Send PM

#342703 - 07/19/15 08:36 PM

Vaughan,

Any chance of a Pooyan bezel? I don't know that the original arcade game even had a bezel so it may not even be possible. I promise not to make it a habit to make requests!

Thank you very much,
Jason

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

#342704 - 07/19/15 08:56 PM

> As such, I think it will be better in future if I create an individual thread for
> each Game/Bezel. It's just much easier to manage.

Whoa... please don't.

In regards to you earlier question... hosting your artwork... at this point, no... I need to first get back up and running on the real artwork before I even consider adding in a bunch of custom stuff.

Plus... it looks like you've already picked a host... everything is hosted here, complete with screenshot and file attachment.

I'm not complaining... and don't want to deter you from what you're doing, because you are filling a niche for some people, who have already posted here and thanked you for your work.

But I'm personally now resigned to view this forum in Collapsed Mode instead of Expanded Mode, because I can't see the rest of the threads until I scroll through a couple pages of custom stuff.

At least with it all in one thread, I can differentiate from everything else.

I'm fine with original artwork at game per thread, but if you start making a single thread for every single custom artwork, at the rate you're going, I'm never going to be able to tell the difference anymore. I'm even considering asking Smitdogg to make a separate forum for custom artwork. If that happens, then I'd be fine with it.

Side question, 'cause I got confused here: your first post, you said these were all for a 16:9 monitor. That's a widescreen monitor. But all of the artwork is setup to use on a square monitor (4000x3000), and the ratio on the game screens doesn't look right (2000x3000). A 3:4 game, at 3000px tall, would be 2250px wide. Is there a setting in your mame.ini that's stretching the whole thing at once (artwork and screen)?

'Cause on a 16:9 monitor, at normal settings, an image 4000px wide would need to be 2250px tall to fill the screen corner to corner. And the ratio on the game screen should be, to go top to bottom, 1687.5x2250.

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

Mr Do new [Re: Mr. Do]
#342705 - 07/19/15 09:17 PM

Thanks for getting back to me, Mr.Do.

Obviously I need to rethink this thing.

I will keep them in here - but for me it's a pretty horrible way of going about things. There's another user with "cabinet Bezels" who is doing a far better job of it that I am. I need to look into doing what he does - just need to get my head around it.

To the question of screen size/stretching, I'll say this......

I am new to Bezel creation, I posted the first one I created, I think it's been less than a week. I scanned other LAY files to see how they worked, and learned from them. As such - and I could have totally gotten the wrong impression - but the best size for the Bezel was 4000X3000 to emulate the original screens.

I have Mame set to a screen size of 4:3, not 16:9, which has the effect of filling the screen.

As to game ratio's - my goal wasn't to stay true to the original game. What I wanted was something that looks good on a 16:9 screen. I found the settings I'm using to work best.

Here's the thing with the original Bezels - when I use them I have two options. Use the original Bezel, but the game size gets small, or use the Cropping feature, which expands the game size, but BADLY crops the artwork. It's something that has always bugged me. If time was unlimited (it's not) I'd go to each and every original Bezel and make a version that plays nice with my 16:9 - because the reality is, I'm never going to use a 4:3 monitor.

Now - I ASSUME these Bezels are working well for those that have downloaded them. Clearly no-one has yet complained, but that doesn't mean they haven't tried them, found they don't work correctly on their 16:9, and not bothered posting about it. I can only say these look good on MY screen (as in, they fill the screen with a large game screen size).

Okay - I'm going to post one more Bezel in this thread and then stop for a bit - at least until I can figure out a better way of doing this, because basically I've really messed up with this thread.

Sorry all - I feel Mr. Do's pain as far as viewing other threads (I had the same problem). It was never my intention to make more than a couple of these (it was mostly as a distraction), but I quickly had it set up almost as a production line, and got carried away.

Gonna back off now. I'll look into Dropbox (if that's free) but if it's not then I need a good way of putting these up, because right now it's not working well (if anyone is on a slow connection this thread must be a nightmare.)

Thanks again, Mr. Do!

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

Re: Vaughan's Custom Bezels new [Re: Jason]
#342706 - 07/19/15 09:19 PM

Weird, I thought Pooyan already had a Bezel.

Yes, I'll do a Pooyan!

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

Cobra Command - Custom Bezel new [Re: Vaughan]
#342707 - 07/19/15 09:22 PM Attachment: bezel.jpg 259 KB (2 downloads)

Alrighty. Since someone requested a Pooyan Bezel I'll make THAT one the final one (once it's complete.

This is the second from last until I figure out a better way of getting them to those that want them.

Making them can be fun - but the whole storage thing is a bit blah for my tastes.

Attachment

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

Re: Cobra Command - Custom Bezel new [Re: Vaughan]
#342708 - 07/19/15 09:25 PM

** attachment removed **

Heads up - incoming Zip! Medic!

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

#342712 - 07/19/15 10:25 PM

I'm trying to get this thread deleted, folks.

I'm just uploading everything to Dropbox, and once that is done I'll create a new thread that mirrors what others have done.

Consider this thread CLOSED.

(Sorry, Pooyan will have to wait while I sync up Dropbox).

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Send PM

Re: Mr Do new [Re: Vaughan]
#342714 - 07/19/15 10:57 PM Attachment: sample.zip 44 KB (4 downloads)

> I have Mame set to a screen size of 4:3, not 16:9, which has the effect of filling
> the screen.

I think this is the thing right here... you shouldn't need to set your screen size to 4:3; most people keep those settings set at "auto," so that mame will proportionately use the maximum amount of screen real estate possible.

And, last thing I want to do is discourage you... a lot off people are saying thank you.

Humor me and try this... use the attached PSD template to create artwork for a vertical game. Layer 1 is the game screen... only put artwork in the black section of Layer 2. Use the included LAY file to setup the artwork file. Use this, but run MAME with a fresh (default) config file.

I think you'll like the result.

Edited by Mr. Do (07/20/15 08:32 AM)

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Send PM

#342715 - 07/19/15 10:59 PM

> I'm trying to get this thread deleted, folks.
>
> I'm just uploading everything to Dropbox, and once that is done I'll create a new
> thread that mirrors what others have done.
>
> Consider this thread CLOSED.
>
> (Sorry, Pooyan will have to wait while I sync up Dropbox).

DON't delete the thread. Once you have things organized on your end, we can take care of that, if needed. There's better ways than deleting all the work you've done.

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

Re: Cobra Command - Custom Bezel new [Re: Mr. Do]
#342716 - 07/19/15 11:13 PM

Will do, Mr. Do.

I'm uploading everything to Dropbox right now.

As mentioned earlier - I think big10p with his thread has a far better approach that is less resource intensive to both the site, and to people browsing the thread. His approach makes so much sense it's not surprising I never thought of it.

This monster just got out of hand - but never fear, by close of business today I'll have everything back up and running, and a new thread started. Then this thread can go and we can all get back to normality.

Will try the PSD file, thanks for that.

For others who have used my Bezels - are they working well, or do I need to make changes?

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> MAME Artwork X: Other Artwork Projects
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Mr. Do 
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 8218