View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Comboman
Can't think of a good title
Reged: 12/30/12
Loc: Halifax, Canada
Send PM

Universal Project
#351521 - 03/12/16 07:32 PM Attachment: universal.jpg 193 KB (8 downloads)

I've started a new project. While at Funspot last summer, I got a close look at their Universal machines. While not as successful as Atari or Taito, they put out some decent games and all the early ones had great, unique artwork. Not just bezels either, they all had a header, also known as a mid-marquee, a back-lit artwork panel that usually complimented the bezel. I took as many photos as I could and over they next few months I hope to restore them into usable artwork, as well as cleaning up any bezels Mr. Do has scanned to go with them.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Comboman
Send PM

Ladybug new [Re: Comboman]
#351523 - 03/12/16 07:47 PM Attachment: ss.jpg 189 KB (15 downloads)

My first task on the Universal Project is Ladybug. This was definitely my favorite Universal game back in the day. The very..um...adult artwork seems slightly at odds with kid-friendly gameplay. The artist, who goes by the name Kohtani, appears to have taken inspiration from art nouveau style fairies. The bezel was scanned long ago, but I had to adjust the colors slightly to match the header (and the bezel from Funspot). The lay file is adjusted so you can play with or without the header.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Comboman
Send PM

Re: Ladybug new [Re: Comboman]
#351524 - 03/12/16 07:50 PM Attachment: ladybug.zip 7399 KB (95 downloads)

Here's the zip.

Jason
Regular
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: PA
Send PM

Re: Ladybug new [Re: Comboman]
#351526 - 03/12/16 09:44 PM

Looks great Comboman. Will test and let you know of any issues.

Comboman
Send PM

Magic Spot/Devil Zone new [Re: Comboman]
#351727 - 03/19/16 04:35 PM Attachment: ss.jpg 188 KB (14 downloads)

Keeping with the theme of half-naked insect women, here's Magic Spot with the header added. This bezel/header combo was also used with Magic Spot 2 and Devil Zone, so just make 2 copies of the artwork and rename them magspot2.zip and devzone.zip

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Comboman
Send PM

Re: Magic Spot/Devil Zone new [Re: Comboman]
#351728 - 03/19/16 04:38 PM Attachment: magspot.zip 5234 KB (104 downloads)

Here's the zip.

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/19/10
Loc: The Room Next To You
Send PM

#351782 - 03/21/16 09:51 PM

This kicks every major brand of ass! Thanks, Combo. It's like synchronicity or something: I was just looking for Devil Zone artwork two days ago.

----------------------
I have officially retired from sucking at everything I do. Life is much easier now.

My MAME/MESS artwork files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ABxeKgNIrKlIsyck7dx4V241NFQDWAF4
Related screen shots: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U5IbvbVzYW97PuOOQuocvZFE_YJz7WIn

Comboman
Send PM

Cheeky Mouse new [Re: Comboman]
#352137 - 03/30/16 03:44 AM Attachment: ss.jpg 305 KB (7 downloads)

In this case, the header art is not nearly as interesting as bezel art.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Comboman
Send PM

Re: Cheeky Mouse new [Re: Comboman]
#352138 - 03/30/16 03:46 AM Attachment: cheekyms.zip 11233 KB (80 downloads)

Here's the zip.

Antny
Lurker
Reged: 10/10/03
Send PM

Re: Cheeky Mouse new [Re: Comboman]
#352141 - 03/30/16 04:24 AM

I meant to chime in. These look sweet.

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

#352145 - 03/30/16 05:37 AM

> Keeping with the theme of half-naked insect women, here's Magic Spot with the header
> added. This bezel/header combo was also used with Magic Spot 2 and Devil Zone, so
> just make 2 copies of the artwork and rename them magspot2.zip and devzone.zip

Moths artwork remind me of Galaga knock off artwork.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Comboman
Send PM

Galaxy Wars/Galaxy Rescue new [Re: Comboman]
#352832 - 04/10/16 11:08 PM Attachment: ss.jpg 232 KB (9 downloads)

This is one of my favorite bezel/header combos, as the artwork is more-or-less all one scene rather than two pieces with the same theme. In addition to the header, I re-did part of the bezel and color-corrected to match the header. Special thanks to Fossil for supplying some additional photos which filled in some gaps in the ones I took.

Make a copy and rename it to "grescue.zip" to use with Galaxy Rescue (Universal's license of Taito's Lunar Rescue). I've also seen this header/bezel used with Cosmic Monsters II but I don't believe it was ever officially released that way. As usual, you can select bezel only or bezel+header.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Comboman
Send PM

Re: Galaxy Wars/Galaxy Rescue new [Re: Comboman]
#352833 - 04/10/16 11:11 PM Attachment: galxwars.zip 17131 KB (82 downloads)

Here's the zip.

Farnf
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/22/09
Send PM

#353315 - 04/20/16 07:12 PM

Thanks for these Comboman. Wonderful quality as usual.

Most of the old Universal games are so strangely wonderful, I'm glad you're taking the time to help preserve the experience.

kencatt
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/17/05
Send PM

Re: Universal Project new [Re: Comboman]
#353369 - 04/22/16 05:10 AM

Nice Work!! Need more artwork that looks real!!!

Comboman
Send PM

Cosmic Alien new [Re: Comboman]
#354881 - 05/29/16 03:04 AM Attachment: ss.jpg 495 KB (23 downloads)

It's been over a month since my last release but I haven't given up. This is the first one that needed both header and bezel. The bezel scan comes from Mr. Do's WIP collection. The header was originally going to be from my own photos, but I was contacted by Sam from www.universal-arcade.info who is currently restoring several Universal cabinets and generously made his very high-resolution header scans available to me. It's great when people restoring the physical machines can work together with those restoring "virtual machines

By itself, the game seems like just another Galaxian ripoff. But with the full artwork (which looks like a cross between Fantasia and an Iron Maiden album cover), it becomes a cosmic battle of good versus evil! Too bad the sound emulation is missing.

Attachment

Comboman
Send PM

Re: Cosmic Alien new [Re: Comboman]
#354882 - 05/29/16 03:06 AM Attachment: cosmica.zip 8998 KB (84 downloads)

Here's the zip.

Robbbert
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

#354895 - 05/29/16 06:25 AM

-

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Send PM

#354900 - 05/29/16 10:38 AM

I would totally use these if I could ever locate control panel graphics for them. Lady Bug was the only one I could find.

----------------------
I have officially retired from sucking at everything I do. Life is much easier now.

My MAME/MESS artwork files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ABxeKgNIrKlIsyck7dx4V241NFQDWAF4
Related screen shots: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U5IbvbVzYW97PuOOQuocvZFE_YJz7WIn

Comboman
Send PM

Re: Cosmic Alien new [Re: Robbbert]
#354923 - 05/29/16 07:02 PM

> > Too bad the sound emulation is missing.
>
> eh? it's there.

Hmmmm. I'm using 0.174 and no sound for me. Is it sample based maybe?

Comboman
Send PM

Re: Cosmic Alien new [Re: Nightvoice]
#354925 - 05/29/16 07:37 PM Attachment: cosmicalien-cp.png 7073 KB (10 downloads)

> I would totally use these if I could ever locate control panel graphics for them.
> Lady Bug was the only one I could find.

Are you working on virtual cabs? This is the best I could find off the photos I have. Let me know what else you're looking for.

Attachment

Robbbert
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

#354955 - 05/30/16 12:50 AM

-

Comboman
Send PM

thanks [nt] new [Re: Robbbert]
#355011 - 05/30/16 11:47 PM

Comboman
Send PM

Universal Project - Most Wanted List new [Re: Comboman]
#355252 - 06/04/16 12:44 AM

I've had good luck so far with people offering to help out with this project, so I'll try a specific most wanted list. In the list, I'll post the highest quality image I can find. If you know of a better one, please let me know (either post here or PM me). By "better" I mean any of the following: higher resolution, better lighting, more complete, less angled, less compression artifacts.

1) Cosmic Monsters I or II (need header & bezel)

This game seems to be very rare (at least in upright version).

2) Space Panic (need header only)

This game was fairly common (I think), but decent photos of the header are rare. This is a game where the header and bezel are part of a combined artwork so I would really like to get both halves.

3) Snap Jack (need header only)

This photo is not bad, but if you know of a more detailed one it would really help.

4) Nova2001 (need instruction sticker)

A long, narrow sticker (much like the one in the official artwork for Mr. Do's Wild Ride).

4) Wall-mount Games (anything)

These seem to be a German specialty. The artwork is quite different from the upright versions. If you have good photos/scans of any wall games (even non-Universal ones), I'd love to see them (though I'm focused on Universal stuff for now).

5) Inder versions (need header & bezel)

Spanish company Inder S.A. produced several licensed (bootlegged?) versions of Universal games with their own unique headers and bezels. The artwork seems quite good, probably done by Inder's pinball staff (much like Zaccarria).

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Reged: 03/14/15
Loc: UK
Send PM

Re: Universal Project - Most Wanted List new [Re: Comboman]
#355256 - 06/04/16 01:08 AM

You can get a better start with Snap Jack by looking at the flyer:

Same with Space Panic:

And with a little work you have a good start on Cosmic Monsters:

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Universal Project - Most Wanted List new [Re: Comboman]
#355284 - 06/04/16 09:19 AM

If I could find a good scan of the CPO for Devil Zone that would be really kewl, but CPOs in general are hard to find for this line.

----------------------

Comboman
Send PM

Space Panic (Inder) new [Re: Comboman]
#355595 - 06/11/16 07:06 PM Attachment: ss.jpg 360 KB (7 downloads)

The Inder version is quite different from the Universal original with a cartoonish castle theme rather than a sci-fi space station theme; still it matches the actual game pretty well.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Comboman
Send PM

Re: Space Panic (Inder) new [Re: Comboman]
#355596 - 06/11/16 07:08 PM Attachment: panic.zip 11077 KB (78 downloads)

here's the zip.

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

Re: Space Panic (Inder) new [Re: Comboman]
#355597 - 06/11/16 09:11 PM

> The Inder version is quite different from the Universal original with a cartoonish
> castle theme rather than a sci-fi space station theme; still it matches the actual
> game pretty well.

Beautiful.

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Send PM

Most artwork fades over time... new [Re: Comboman]
#355598 - 06/11/16 09:22 PM

> [On Ladybug,] I had to adjust the colors slightly to match the header (and the bezel from Funspot).

As many of these games are now approaching 30-40 years old, something to keep in mind is that artwork fades over time.

It depends on the quality of the glass/plastic and paint used on the cabinet, and also on what type of lighting the cabinet might have been exposed to over all this time.

Flyers are almost always a good reference for original colors:

http://www.flyerfever.com/tagged/lady%20bug

In this case... I'm gonna say that Funspot's artwork is faded after so many years.

This is something that I didn't consider way back in the beginning either, and I've had to go back more than a few times and correct stuff from back then (and there's probably still more).

I specifically remember Ladybug being one that I corrected. And after checking, it looks like Cheeky Mouse might need to be revisited also.

Something to keep in mind as you go forward with this.

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Most artwork fades over time... new [Re: Mr. Do]
#355603 - 06/11/16 11:56 PM

In music, a player who can idenfify what note has been played instantly after hearing it has what they call "perfect pitch". I don't know what the visual/color equivalent of it is... "crystalline color"? We have to rely on purists like you for this, especially when my vision is deteriorating faster than these bezels are.

----------------------

Comboman
Send PM

#355604 - 06/12/16 12:38 AM

> As many of these games are now approaching 30-40 years old, something to keep in mind
> is that artwork fades over time.
>
> It depends on the quality of the glass/plastic and paint used on the cabinet, and
> also on what type of lighting the cabinet might have been exposed to over all this
> time.
>
> Flyers are almost always a good reference for original colors:
>
> http://www.flyerfever.com/tagged/lady%20bug

While I agree that artwork fades over time, I'll have to respectfully disagree on the value of flyers as a color reference. Flyers are disposable advertising printed on cheap paper that are also 30-40 years old. But more importantly, they were frequently retouched to suit the needs of the flyer's graphic designers and printers. Lady Bug is a good example. Below is the cabinet photos from two of the flyers you linked to on Flyer Fever. Left is the two-sided English flyer, right is the one-sided English flyer. I don't believe this is a photo of two different machines, but rather the same photo that has been retouched to change the colors. I assume the "grape" version on the left is your reference, while the "blueberry" version on the right is closer to what I saw at FunSpot, though I wouldn't bet my life on either being especially accurate.

> In this case... I'm gonna say that Funspot's artwork is faded after so many years.

That's definitely possible and I admit that I may have taken it a bit too far in the blue direction, but I don't believe it ever looked quite as purple as in the left flyer. All the photos I can find look similar (though it's possible they could all be photos of the same machine at FunSpot). I'll keep looking into it.

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Send PM

Re: Most artwork fades over time... new [Re: Comboman]
#355606 - 06/12/16 02:51 AM

> While I agree that artwork fades over time, I'll have to respectfully disagree on the
> value of flyers as a color reference. Flyers are disposable advertising printed on
> cheap paper that are also 30-40 years old. But more importantly, they were frequently
> retouched to suit the needs of the flyer's graphic designers and printers.

I'm gonna go yes and no with you on that one. There for sure are some cheap flyers out there, but most that I have seen, including the ones I have here at home, are printed on what seems like good quality card stock, or photo paper, or etc. And depending on how they were stored, they are less susceptible to fading than a glass bezel that has a warm cathode ray tube shining on its backside for 12-15 hours a day for how many years.

> Lady Bug
> is a good example. Below is the cabinet photos from two of the flyers you linked to
> on Flyer Fever. Left is the two-sided English flyer, right is the one-sided English
> flyer. I don't believe this is a photo of two different machines, but rather the same
> photo that has been retouched to change the colors. I assume the "grape" version on
> the left is your reference, while the "blueberry" version on the right is closer to
> what I saw at FunSpot, though I wouldn't bet my life on either being especially
> accurate.

Actually, they are two different cabs. Look at the coinslots on both cabs... the left one is Japanese, and the middle one is US. The Japan cab has a different marquee and instruction sticker than the US cab (looks like the sticker on the US cab matches the cocktail). And if you look closely enough, the speaker shelf is covering slightly more of the backdrop on the Japan cab than the US cab (focus on the top left flower).

So back to your first point... yes, the bezel most likely should be less "grape" and more "blueberry" since Funspot's cab is likely a US cab, but I can't help but think the Japan cab artwork is purposely a different hue, possibly to better match with the different colored marquee?

All of this is moot at this point, though, as when I go back and look at the original source I have for the Ladybug bezel, it's junk. It makes me sad. It's not the original scan, just a single-layer "cleaned" PSD, that was cleaned badly (this is why you don't simply trust any of the CAG artwork without looking at it in closer detail... something I was naive about in the past, but have since learned years later).

>
> > In this case... I'm gonna say that Funspot's artwork is faded after so many years.
>
> That's definitely possible and I admit that I may have taken it a bit too far in the
> blue direction, but I don't believe it ever looked quite as purple as in the left
> flyer. All the photos I can find look similar (though it's possible they could all be
> photos of the same machine at FunSpot). I'll keep looking into it.
>

For now... I wouldn't worry about fixing the bezel. We need to get a better scan rather than fix what we have now.

But if you image search, you will see cabs with the two different marquees. But as you said before, they all lean more towards the blue hue, which I'm gonna deem for now is more correct.

Comboman
Send PM

#355607 - 06/12/16 03:36 AM Attachment: panic-comp.jpg 197 KB (4 downloads)

> Actually, they are two different cabs. Look at the coinslots on both cabs... the left
> one is Japanese, and the middle one is US. The Japan cab has a different marquee and
> instruction sticker than the US cab (looks like the sticker on the US cab matches the
> cocktail). And if you look closely enough, the speaker shelf is covering slightly
> more of the backdrop on the Japan cab than the US cab (focus on the top left flower).

Ahhh. I wasn't even looking at the coin slots. They managed to line up the angles of the cabs exactly the same for photo (and yet they put a 100 yen cab on the English flyer and a 25 cent cab on the Japanese flyer).

> All of this is moot at this point, though, as when I go back and look at the original
> source I have for the Ladybug bezel, it's junk. It makes me sad. It's not the
> original scan, just a single-layer "cleaned" PSD, that was cleaned badly (this is why
> you don't simply trust any of the CAG artwork without looking at it in closer
> detail... something I was naive about in the past, but have since learned years
> later).

Yeah, I just started looking at the Space Panic bezel (I may be getting a scan of the header in a few months) and it's in even worse shape. The vectorization (done by Zoid I believe) was faithful to the scan, but the scan itself was way too dark. When I turned up the brightness on the scan it revealed all kinds of missing details (like the bug's legs and the astronaut's face). I'd hate to have to redo it from scratch but I'm not sure what else I can do.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Comboman
Send PM

Cosmic Guerilla new [Re: Comboman]
#357170 - 07/31/16 02:11 AM Attachment: ss.jpg 217 KB (8 downloads)

Cosmic Guerilla is a bit of a horizontal variation on Space Invaders. Without the artwork, it just looks like your gun is shooting aliens stealing your rectangles. But the artwork shows you're a dinosaur-riding Aztec warrior defending beautiful women from horned alien demons.

There were at least two versions of the header. This is a recreation based on the German version, just because it's the only one I could find a decent photo of. The US/Japan version has psychedelic swirls on both top and bottom.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Comboman
Send PM

Re: Cosmic Guerilla new [Re: Comboman]
#357171 - 07/31/16 02:13 AM Attachment: cosmicg.zip 5766 KB (68 downloads)

Here's the zip.

styce
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/23/13
Send PM

Re: Cosmic Guerilla new [Re: Comboman]
#357183 - 07/31/16 02:55 PM

As always, nice job.
Thanks comboman

Comboman
Send PM

Space Panic (header) new [Re: Comboman]
#359685 - 10/16/16 02:31 PM Attachment: ss.jpg 406 KB (6 downloads)

Special thanks to btribble for locating and scanning this in for us. I was surprised at how well it matched up to the bezel. I don't know why it uses a different background color than the bezel but every photo I can find verifies this.

Attachment

Comboman
Send PM

Re: Space Panic (header) new [Re: Comboman]
#359686 - 10/16/16 02:35 PM Attachment: panic.zip 12005 KB (78 downloads)

Here's the zip.

btribble
unMAMEd guy
Reged: 11/19/04
Send PM

#359723 - 10/18/16 07:21 PM

Looks great! Glad to be of assistance.

RaspBear
retrogamer
Reged: 09/12/16
Loc: Italia
Send PM

#362337 - 01/08/17 12:02 PM

Really great work thanks !

Can I adapt some of these to use with lr-mame2003 and share on Retropie's forum?
Of course full credit will be given.

Comboman
Send PM

Re: Galaxy Wars/Galaxy Rescue new [Re: RaspBear]
#362352 - 01/09/17 04:28 AM

No problem. I assume it uses the old ART format instead of LAY fies?

RaspBear
retrogamer
Send PM

#362379 - 01/09/17 10:06 PM

Thanks!
It uses Retroarch/Libretro own cfg files with specific settings for overlays.
No issue to create it.
Example here.

I just found higher detail image of the "astronaut" with the gun of Galaxy wars bezel. Will try to integrate it in your bezel image.

Comboman
Send PM

Cosmic Avenger new [Re: Comboman]
#369382 - 09/03/17 08:09 PM Attachment: ss.png 875 KB (19 downloads)

Yes, it been a long while I've posted anything to this thread but I finally found some time to finish this artwork. The bezel scan comes from Mr. Do's WIP collection and the header scan is from Sam at www.universal-arcade.info

As usual, you can view it with or without the header.

Attachment

Comboman
Send PM

Re: Cosmic Avenger new [Re: Comboman]
#369384 - 09/03/17 08:11 PM Attachment: cavenger.zip 6545 KB (67 downloads)

Here's the zip.

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Send PM

#369389 - 09/03/17 09:07 PM

WAY to FUCKING BE! I've been waiting for a long time for this one. Thanks, Combo!

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

Re: Cosmic Avenger new [Re: Nightvoice]
#369404 - 09/04/17 05:00 AM

Agreed! Thx!

This 1 brings back some good memories...

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

#369406 - 09/04/17 05:16 AM Attachment: Space_Panic_-_1980_-_Universal.jpg 363 KB (2 downloads)

> Special thanks to btribble for locating and scanning this in for us. I was surprised
> at how well it matched up to the bezel. I don't know why it uses a different
> background color than the bezel but every photo I can find verifies this.

I know the post is old. I found so many on the internet.

Top is blue and bottom is dark blue.

Attachment

btribble
unMAMEd guy
Reged: 11/19/04
Send PM

#369536 - 09/08/17 02:06 AM

Yes! Looks great. I love this unique cabinet style and its artwork, nice to see another one "in the books" as it were.

TrevEB
Brokering peace between the collectors and the Mame Community
Reged: 03/11/05
Loc: Oakland, CA
Send PM

#369717 - 09/16/17 07:04 AM

Outstanding work Comboman! Being that I played this game to death on the colecovision it has a special place in my heart.
Somehow I missed much of the conversation earlier in this thread.
I can provide you will all of the headers and marquees you requested.
I'll definitely pick up SnapJack on my next visit to the warehouse.
I can also scan some control panels.
I'm pretty sure Mike's Universal collection is complete.

TrevEB

Comboman
Send PM

Re: Cosmic Avenger new [Re: TrevEB]
#369726 - 09/16/17 07:38 PM

Thanks Trev. Scans of the headers for Snap Jack and Zero Hour would be great (and anything from Cosmic Monsters would be amazing).

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Send PM

#369733 - 09/17/17 02:03 AM

A scan of the control panel for Devil Zone would be particularly cool.

TrevEB
Send PM

Re: Cosmic Avenger -Cosmic Monsters Stuff new [Re: Comboman]
#369740 - 09/17/17 09:40 AM Attachment: cosmic monsters bezel 1.jpg 2298 KB (6 downloads)

Here is everything I have for Cosmic Monsters
This was a curved bezel so, what a pain. No way to scan it.
Also note lights behind the upper "bugs" bezel.
I'll have to let you know how they work. Maybe just on or perhaps they were interactive.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/oxhceyu8p2nmsoe/AAA_q1FhbmVKszlar3wjDlZKa?dl=0

Attachment

TrevEB
Send PM

#369741 - 09/17/17 09:56 AM Attachment: IMG_0953.JPG 501 KB (2 downloads)

Devil Zone CP scan? Can be done.
Awh dang it, the pic was oriented correctly at 1:30am.
Fixed!

Attachment

Edited by TrevEB (09/17/17 07:01 PM)

Comboman
Send PM

#369751 - 09/17/17 06:09 PM

Good Lord, even Funspot doesn't have that many Universal cabs! That is quite a collection!n

RaspBear
retrogamer
Send PM

Re: Cosmic Avenger -Cosmic Monsters Stuff new [Re: TrevEB]
#370406 - 10/18/17 08:20 AM

Curvature is not really a problem as it's possible to straighten the image in photoshop.
Could you kindly take and share some high res pictures ?
The Dropbox link is broken.

Thanks a lot.

Comboman
Send PM

Cosmic Monsters II new [Re: Comboman]
#370476 - 10/21/17 11:38 PM Attachment: ss.jpg 344 KB (13 downloads)

Thanks to Trev, I was able to complete the artwork for Cosmic Monsters II. Unlike later Universal games, this one has a bezel with a bend in it and the "window" (which is normally just for the screen) extends higher to reveal a backlit background piece (the artwork allows you to turn the backlight on or off). The colors don't quiet match the flyer for Cosmic Monsters so it may have been changed slightly for CM2. If you want to use this artwork for CM1, make a copy of the zip and rename it "cosmicmo.zip". Since Space Invaders is the parent game for CM1 & CM2, this artwork will show up in addition to the Space Invaders artwork (if you have it installed).

Attachment

Comboman
Send PM

Re: Cosmic Monsters II new [Re: Comboman]
#370477 - 10/21/17 11:40 PM Attachment: cosmicm2.zip 20321 KB (79 downloads)

Here's the zip.

AntoPISA
MAME Snapper
Reged: 09/15/08
Loc: Pisa, Italy
Send PM

#370488 - 10/22/17 06:56 PM

Another excellent work, thanks!

TrevEB
Send PM

#370498 - 10/23/17 08:22 AM

Another awesome job!
Hope you don’t get tired of being awesome.
So, whats next?

styce
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/23/13
Send PM

#370500 - 10/23/17 01:38 PM

Amazing work

Otto Pylotte
Universal arcade collector
Reged: 02/19/17
Send PM

#371323 - 11/24/17 05:44 AM

Where is this place? And can I go pray there? :-)

RaspBear
retrogamer
Send PM

Re: Most artwork fades over time... new [Re: Comboman]
#375617 - 04/14/18 09:55 AM Attachment: Space-Panic-UDb.png 6155 KB (18 downloads)

>... the scan itself was way too dark. When I
> turned up the brightness on the scan it revealed all kinds of missing details (like
> the bug's legs and the astronaut's face). I'd hate to have to redo it from scratch
> but I'm not sure what else I can do.

Found a Space Panic bezel high res scan on Arcadeartwork.org .
Not sure if it is the same source as the one you used; this scan also is very dark and original bezel quite scratched.

After investing significant time this is the fixed and cleaned up result.
Astronaut face and alien bug legs are now visible.

Does anybody know if the dark background (space) is just solid color or includes stars ? If they are not stars I'll remove all those background white spots.

Attachment

Orionsangel
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/09/18
Send PM

#375825 - 04/25/18 05:50 PM

I actually repaired this bezel myself two months ago to use for a Mame overlay. You did an even better job. Well done!

https://youtu.be/lBSjyZLKoPg?t=29m32s

RaspBear
retrogamer
Send PM

Re: Cosmic Monsters II new [Re: Orionsangel]
#375831 - 04/25/18 10:33 PM

> I actually repaired this bezel myself two months ago to use for a Mame overlay. You
> did an even better job. Well done!
>

Thanks.

Your realistic overlays really look amazing!

Orionsangel
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/09/18
Send PM

Re: Cosmic Monsters II new [Re: RaspBear]
#375906 - 04/30/18 04:10 AM

Thank you. I appreciate it.

Comboman
Send PM

Inder's Magic Spot new [Re: Comboman]
#381706 - 03/24/19 08:11 PM Attachment: magspot-ss.png 1373 KB (17 downloads)

I can't take credit for this one. Sam Gretch of Universal-Arcade did a beautiful job vectorizing this artwork from Inder's version of Universal's Magical Spot and sent them to me. Sadly they have been sitting on my computer for months, but I finally got around to putting them into a layout file (sorry).

Attachment

Comboman
Send PM

Re: Inder's Magic Spot new [Re: Comboman]
#381707 - 03/24/19 08:15 PM Attachment: magspot.zip 23012 KB (51 downloads)

Here's the zip.

Dreamstate
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/27/17
Send PM

#385217 - 02/08/20 12:37 PM

thanks for the awesome new artwork!

AntoPISA
MAME Snapper
Reged: 09/15/08
Loc: Pisa, Italy
Send PM

#385227 - 02/08/20 04:54 PM

Really amazing!

Wiz1969
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/13/20
Send PM

#388176 - 10/13/20 11:54 PM

Cool! Looking forward to this one.

DJ Wheels
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/13/17
Send PM

#395283 - 12/10/22 07:25 PM

Hello. I am restoring an original Cosmic Alien cabinet. I have a repro marquee. I am searching for full size scans of the bezel, backsplash and control panel overlay. If you or anyone else has the files I can be reached at wheelsdj@aol.com

Thank you

TrevEB
Send PM

Re: Cosmic Alien new [Re: DJ Wheels]
#395285 - 12/10/22 11:37 PM

There is a zip file available from Comboman here at 5/29/16.
Absolutely the best there is of the bezel and backsplash.

Sadly no CPO joy.

DJ Wheels
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/13/17
Send PM

Re: Cosmic Alien new [Re: TrevEB]
#395289 - 12/11/22 05:46 PM

Thanks TrevEB
I'm a bit confused. I don't have much experience with this type stuff. I downloaded the zip and opened with "ms paint" but it doesn't seem to be the appropriate size for an original cabinet. The bezel measurements are 72.93 inches x 69.55 inches, which would be way too big. The backsplash only measures 6.67 inches x 3.33 inches which would be too small.
Do I have to resize the files? I'm guessing The bezel would be ok if I shrunk it, but the backsplash would probably lose a lot of quality if I stretched it.
Thoughts?

TrevEB
Send PM

Re: Cosmic Alien new [Re: DJ Wheels]
#395290 - 12/11/22 10:15 PM

I believe these are vectorized art. In which case they should scale to whatever size you need without loss.

Try reaching out to comboman for the raw file. Probably Adobe Illustrator.
I have not heard from him in a long time so don’t let it hold up your project.

Have a chat with Scott at GameonGrafix
https://gameongrafix.com/
He has done well for me and accommodates custom prints.
Also prints on adhesive for applying to glass if you plan to do that.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> MAME Artwork: Official
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Mr. Do 
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 12973