Pages: 1

Pi
Allergic to life
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Room 101
Send PM

I just played Links For OS/2
#366229 - 05/21/17 08:39 PM

Damn hard system to handle under VirtualBox, but I just had to do it since I've got an addition to my Links collection I've been searching for 9 years...

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.
I can't get it right / Get it right / Since I met you...

jeremymtc
Shot Maker
Reged: 01/09/07
Loc: Calimammy
Send PM

Re: I just played Links For OS/2 new [Re: Pi]
#366303 - 05/24/17 10:36 PM

> Damn hard system to handle under VirtualBox, but I just had to do it since I've got
> an addition to my Links collection I've been searching for 9 years...

I used to really enjoy Links LS, back in the Win '98 era. I'd love to find a comparable modern PC golf game, with a similar interface. I usually just play Neo Turf Masters when I get the video golf urge.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Re: I just played Links For OS/2 new [Re: jeremymtc]
#366305 - 05/24/17 10:43 PM

> I usually just play Neo Turf Masters when I get the video golf urge.

I can honestly say I've never gotten the urge for video golf.

My dad used to lay on the couch and watch golf on TV all Sundays, and to this day, it just seems like such a God-awful boring thing to do... to simulate that experience in an interactive way just takes it to a whole new level. Like watching knitting on TV and thinking, man, if only there was a video game for knitting, that would be the cat's meow.

Pi
Allergic to life
Send PM

#366306 - 05/24/17 10:50 PM

> I used to really enjoy Links LS, back in the Win '98 era. I'd love to find a
> comparable modern PC golf game, with a similar interface. I usually just play Neo
> Turf Masters when I get the video golf urge.

I really can recommend Links 2001 or 2003. There are literally hundreds of courses to play for free because they came with a course designer. Some of these user created courses are as good as the officially released ones, even a couple were featured in official course compilations. You can still acquire 2003 legally in case you don't want to *ahem* be more creative. Links 2003 renders courses so beautifully.

I admit I have barely played any golf game more modern than those, but 2001 and 2003 are so good that it's hard for me to believe that others have anything much better to offer. And don't forget the amount of courses for free to get.

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.

jeremymtc
Shot Maker
Reged: 01/09/07
Loc: Calimammy
Send PM

Re: I just played Links For OS/2 new [Re: GatKong]
#366307 - 05/24/17 10:51 PM

> > I usually just play Neo Turf Masters when I get the video golf urge.
>
> I can honestly say I've never gotten the urge for video golf.
>
> My dad used to lay on the couch and watch golf on TV all Sundays, and to this day, it
> just seems like such a God-awful boring thing to do... to simulate that experience in
> an interactive way just takes it to a whole new level. Like watching knitting on TV
> and thinking, man, if only there was a video game for knitting, that would be the
> cat's meow.

Knitting Simulator 2014

Enjoy!

Pi
Allergic to life
Send PM

#366308 - 05/24/17 11:46 PM

> Knitting Simulator 2014

I tried it, not bad for a start, but it lacked the feeling of a good wool thread. It was too limited. The 2017 version is much better, it allows you to make a scarf of any length. The bad point? Good controllers are hard to find.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Re: I just played Links For OS/2 new [Re: GatKong]
#366310 - 05/25/17 03:32 AM

> > I usually just play Neo Turf Masters when I get the video golf urge.
>
> I can honestly say I've never gotten the urge for video golf.
>
> My dad used to lay on the couch and watch golf on TV all Sundays, and to this day, it
> just seems like such a God-awful boring thing to do... to simulate that experience in
> an interactive way just takes it to a whole new level. Like watching knitting on TV
> and thinking, man, if only there was a video game for knitting, that would be the
> cat's meow.

I didn't get Golf until I rented one for the NES, by Bandai. I got hooked over the weekend and found it really enjoyable.

I still think the actual sport is pretty boring. Not as boring as Baseball or American Handegg, but close.

John IV
IV/Play, MAME, MAMEUI
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Washington, USA
Send PM

#366313 - 05/25/17 06:42 AM

I just got back into Links 2003 after 14 years or so.
Old Links devs patched it up to work w/ WIn7/8/10 and modern video cards + widescreen resolutions.

The most recent spate of courses also use 1024x1024 textures for nice hi-res rendering.
http://linkscorner.org/courses/index.php

It's also pretty cheap to buy the 2003 game and 47 MSFT courses:
https://www.linkscountryclub.com/

The latest spiritual successor to Links is the new-ish Jack Nicklaus Perfect Golf on Steam (coming to Win10 soon apparently).
http://store.steampowered.com/app/288140/Jack_Nicklaus_Perfect_Golf/
The best course designer for Links 2003 is involved in it in some capacity, maybe part owner.

john iv
http://www.mameui.info/

Pi
Allergic to life
Send PM

Re: I just played Links For OS/2 new [Re: John IV]
#366321 - 05/25/17 05:34 PM

> It's also pretty cheap to buy the 2003 game and 47 MSFT courses:
> https://www.linkscountryclub.com/

I have a very large Links collection, so I have all you've mentioned and more. This place also has a few free course downloads. There are also other free official course downloads from the VGA tour, playable in both 2001 and 2003.

>
> The latest spiritual successor to Links is the new-ish Jack Nicklaus Perfect Golf on
> Steam (coming to Win10 soon apparently).
> http://store.steampowered.com/app/288140/Jack_Nicklaus_Perfect_Golf/
> The best course designer for Links 2003 is involved in it in some capacity, maybe
> part owner.

I would try it if it wasn't in Steam. Ugh.

But thanks for your comments

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

#366348 - 05/26/17 08:50 AM Attachment: galaxy.png 695 KB (0 downloads)

> I would try it if it wasn't in Steam. Ugh.
>
> But thanks for your comments

Thanks for the laugh.

GOG is pushing Gwent now. Free card game.

Install from the Gwent site is setup_gwent_1.2.9.5a_en.exe, while the one from GOG itself is setup_gwent_1.2.9.5b_en.exe.

BOTH of these are not just game installs, but forced installs of the "fully optional" GOG Galaxy client.

This has been stalled at about 90% for over an hour.

It isn't likely to just be trying to do what it claims, since the window is just returning an error sound when I click on it. There's a second -something- also running, a child window that can't be accessed at all.

Steam... hasn't done this to me.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Pi
Allergic to life
Send PM

Re: I just played Links For OS/2 new [Re: TriggerFin]
#366351 - 05/26/17 02:15 PM

> BOTH of these are not just game installs, but forced installs of the "fully optional"
> GOG Galaxy client.

Gog Galaxy is bundled for games having online play. But you don't have to use it, nor you have to have it installed to play any game. Steam is a DRM by itself, most games require either being launch from Steam or having Steam being installed.

I don't like that to support online play, a Gog game has to use Gog Galaxy. But that's entirely radically different than the vendor lock-in Steam has.

In any case, my comment wasn't 'other game distributors are better than Steam'. It was 'I don't like Steam'. I've had it installed and I prefer to never use it again, despite the amount of free games it offers.

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Reged: 12/12/03
Loc: Hidden Hyrulian city Lurkopolis
Send PM

Re: I just played Links For OS/2 new [Re: Foxhack]
#366354 - 05/26/17 03:50 PM

My first video game golf :

Favorite was Arnold Palmer Tournament Golf for Sega Genesis/Megadrive. For whatever reason I never really enjoyed other golf games past that one. Maybe they just got to be too much work as golf sims improved. I was never into the actual game, either watching or playing, so that's probably part of it.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

#366408 - 05/30/17 06:33 AM

The game is not available except by installing Galaxy. Galaxy is never supposed to be required for anything. Galaxy's installation is very poor, and is the first time I had to use CCleaner to delete a broken installation (registered but not present), after I had manually downloaded both the 32- and 64-bit dlls it required.

After the hours I spent hunting for that fix, the game really doesn't hold up outside the environment of Witcher 3. It just isn't as good as other digital CCGs.

Pi
Allergic to life
Send PM

Re: I just played Links For OS/2 new [Re: TriggerFin]
#366425 - 05/30/17 09:01 PM

> The game is not available except by installing Galaxy. Galaxy is never supposed to be
> required for anything.

Galaxy is required for online play. Out of curiosity I visited the game's page, where it states that it's in public beta and only supports online play, hence the bundle of Galaxy. I am guessing others do better with it or no one would have Galaxy. I don't have it installed because I don't like having to install 3rd party software for extra features, and I consider it a form of DRM/vendor-lock-in, just as the Steam platform is. I prefer to play my DRM-free games without any kind of stupidness from the part of the software.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

#366428 - 05/30/17 11:10 PM

> Galaxy is required for online play.

It should not not be:

Quote:

GOG Galaxy provides a viable alternative to Steam’s desktop client, built around GOG's DRM-free principles. In fact, even using GOG Galaxy is completely optional for GOG customers. The Steam desktop client, by comparison, is required to run the vast majority of games purchased through Valve's store.

> I am guessing others do better with it or no one would have Galaxy.

It's common enough that I got the link to the dll download from their site, after beating down all the "just click the game in Galaxy" results.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2369