Pages: 1

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Reged: 12/12/03
Loc: Hidden Hyrulian city Lurkopolis
Send PM

Ready Player One (ed: added more info)
#373311 - 01/21/18 09:05 PM

Just finished the book (goo.gl/HLvtLa). If the movie is even remotely faithful to the book it will be an enjoyable experience. The story is filled to the brim with 80s pop culture, including many arcade, console, and computer games- all emulated of course as they are inside a futuristic VR simulation.

EDIT: I should add more info. The VR system is way past anything we have now (though in this story was actually first released in 2012) and doesn't even use screens, but rather a low-powered laser to draw the image right on the eyes. The system, OASIS, is a giant MMO where they can even have school online as if in a real school/classroom. In this story, there are parts where the protagonist has to take on the main role in 80s movies in order to proceed, joust against a DnD evil king on an actual cabinet in the simulation, get a high score in Tempest (complete with actual 40-credit glitch) to earn more credits, and even has to play a perfect game of Pac-Man for a special reward. There are reconstructions of arcades, a planet name Frobozz where you can play through Zork, and more. The contest for taking over the company after the creator dies requires the players get into the head of the creator who is fixaed on the 80s, when he was a teen.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Re: Ready Player One (ed: added more info) new [Re: Qun Mang]
#373342 - 01/23/18 12:02 AM

I agree, I hope the movie does the book justice.

MAMEWorld chatted about the book here.

I hope they don't do to it what they did to Ender's Game when it hit the big screen. Loved the book, wondered how I missed the screen release... until I saw it. Ruined.

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Reged: 12/12/03
Loc: Hidden Hyrulian city Lurkopolis
Send PM

Re: Ready Player One (NEW VIDEO) new [Re: GatKong]
#373344 - 01/23/18 02:50 AM

> I agree, I hope the movie does the book justice.
>
> MAMEWorld chatted about the book here.
>
> I hope they don't do to it what they did to Ender's Game when it hit the big screen.
> Loved the book, wondered how I missed the screen release... until I saw it. Ruined.

Dang, late to the party- I don't even remember that post. Some gunter I would make... I agree that Ender's Game didn't hold up to the book at all- too bad.

Well, as a consolation here's a new video, just made public for non-contest winners (apparently way to access to this video was originally hidden in another one) (also, not a real contest- just a reference to the movie, no more). Features both Cline and Spielberg.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
1 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 548