MAMEWorld >> MAME Artwork: Official
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Antny
Lurker
Reged: 10/10/03
Send PM

Tora Tora
#373436 - 01/26/18 06:29 AM Attachment: WIP.png 5897 KB (15 downloads)

Almost finished. If I get some time I might be able to finish it this weekend. I'm not redrawing ones like this anymore. I'm stitching them and cleaning them up.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

JB
CHIJB55
Reged: 10/22/03
Send PM

Re: Tora Tora new [Re: Antny]
#373446 - 01/26/18 04:40 PM

> Almost finished. If I get some time I might be able to finish it this weekend. I'm
> not redrawing ones like this anymore. I'm stitching them and cleaning them up.

Well done. I hear you on redrawing; it's basically "forging" someone elses artwork. Very difficult to get anywhere close. MUCH better served to artfully clean as best we can. I only redraw where artwork is forever missing or horribly blurred.

I also "redraw" areas that need what I call "re-fonting" : where old fonts have faded, if they were not hand-drawn i can often find the exact (or very similar) font and replace it.

Minor edit: Check the very top of the image; the horizontal line looks like some areas could use some love.

Nice work here. Looks like maybe we've lit a little fire under the MAME Art Community .

- JB

Edited by JB (01/26/18 04:43 PM)

RaspBear
retrogamer
Reged: 09/12/16
Loc: Italia
Send PM

Re: Tora Tora new [Re: JB]
#373788 - 02/08/18 08:45 PM

>MUCH better served to artfully clean as best we
> can. I only redraw where artwork is forever missing or horribly blurred.
>
> I also "redraw" areas that need what I call "re-fonting" : where old fonts have
> faded, if they were not hand-drawn i can often find the exact (or very similar) font
> and replace it.

Completely agree!

Considering the type of artwork of Tora Tora's original bezel it may be worth considering "cleaning up" the scans and then convert it to vectors for top quality result.

TrevEB
Brokering peace between the collectors and the Mame Community
Reged: 03/11/05
Loc: Oakland, CA
Send PM

#373806 - 02/10/18 03:53 AM

GamePlan bezels are extremely unfriendly to remove. Glad to see Tora Tora is handled.

Orionsangel
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/09/18
Send PM

#374016 - 02/17/18 08:06 PM

Amazing work! You are so talented.

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/19/10
Loc: The Room Next To You
Send PM

Re: Tora Tora new [Re: JB]
#374028 - 02/18/18 03:25 PM

The other factor to consider is time frame. For every year that passes that a piece of artwork isn't preserved in SOME way, odds increase that said artwork will be lost for good. Better to do a raster cleanup today for someone to vectorize later than to lose it completely.

----------------------
I have officially retired from sucking at everything I do. Life is much easier now.

My MAME/MESS artwork files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ABxeKgNIrKlIsyck7dx4V241NFQDWAF4
Related screen shots: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U5IbvbVzYW97PuOOQuocvZFE_YJz7WIn

TrevEB
Brokering peace between the collectors and the Mame Community
Reged: 03/11/05
Loc: Oakland, CA
Send PM

#387932 - 09/20/20 02:00 AM Attachment: D2D01CCA-CDF8-48CD-BD01-C5C63E1CEC27.jpeg 1778 KB (1 downloads)

Hi Antny,

One small update for the bezel.
We need one more bomb.

Attachment

RaspBear
retrogamer
Reged: 09/12/16
Loc: Italia
Send PM

Re: Tora Tora new [Re: TrevEB]
#388013 - 09/28/20 01:01 AM Attachment: tora tora wip w bomb.png 6723 KB (5 downloads)

Does this WIP was ever completed ?
Took the posted png and replaced the 3 bombs with all 4 vectorized from original source scan.
Missing bomb therefore now present.

Attachment

Antny
Lurker
Reged: 10/10/03
Send PM

Re: Tora Tora new [Re: RaspBear]
#388016 - 09/28/20 04:22 AM

Sorry guys, no I didn't finish it. Work exploded and almost all the free time I have I spend recouping. I tried it a different way to speed it up and I'm not entirely happy. Stitching was difficult and I had to improvise. I'm freeing up soon so I could continue. Trev, if you could get a good scan I can redo it to my liking. Unless someone wants to do it. I'm going to try and get back to the project to help out. Seeing the awesome work being churned out is impressive. Great work happening around here.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> MAME Artwork: Official
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Mr. Do 
1 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1200