MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Dear Netflix, I hate Mute
#374165 - 02/27/18 06:42 AM

Jesus CHRIST I hated this fucking movie. I want to find all the copies and burn them but they're digital ahhhhhhhhhh. I should at least be able to punch someone at Netflix over this. I want my fucking money back for a year of subscription.

If their goal was to have people love or hate it and nothing in between then they succeeded. Goddamn what a piece of shit.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: Dear Netflix, I hate Mute new [Re: Smitdogg]
#374171 - 02/27/18 11:57 AM

>I should at least be able to punch someone at Netflix over this. I want my fucking money
>back for a year of subscription.

Don't fall for it in case they offer Ishtar (a terrible mid 1980s movie Warren Beatty, Dustin Hoffman...that critics and also Johnny Carson made fun of on his Tonight Show episodes back then) as a replacement alternative.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Dear Netflix, I hate Mute new [Re: gregf]
#374177 - 02/27/18 05:06 PM

I saw it years ago. I don't think it's as bad as the critics said, they essentially called it the worst movie of the decade. The movie became famous from the critic's responses, I remember in the 80s the whole word of mouth about the movie was that critics had said stay away from it at all costs etc.

I actually laughed my ass off watching the early scenes where Hoffman was writing songs and doing such a laughably terrible job, I thought it was hilarious actually. It went downhill but sort of into mediocrity dad joke type stuff, never to the point of hating the movie. That's my memory of it anyway.

jopezu
bread-train
Loc: georgia
Send PM

you misspelled 'bright' new [Re: Smitdogg]
#374191 - 02/27/18 07:38 PM

pure shit

i learned everything i know from KC

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: you misspelled 'bright' new [Re: jopezu]
#374192 - 02/27/18 07:47 PM

Yeah, I could have used that warning a week ago. Mute though, it's not just bad or a waste of your time, it's infuriating. I've never been so pissed about a movie viewing experience in my life (that I can remember). It's my most hated movie of all time. And I like Paul Rudd and now every time I see him I'll think of this.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

#374272 - 03/01/18 10:55 AM

>I saw it years ago. I don't think it's as bad as the critics said, they essentially called
>it the worst movie of the decade.

Ishtar (never saw) probably has its moments. "Howard, The Duck" was probably the worst 1980s era movie. Make sure NetFlix doesn't offer that movie as an exchange.

*o/t*

The one that I really disagreed with was one of the polls had Three Amigos as one of the top 10 worst 1980 era movies. Three Amigos was very good. It may not have been a classic like Blazing Saddles (no comedy Western can approach Blazing Saddles caliber), but Three Amigos definitely held its own ground because there were numerous memorable entertaining moments in Three Amigos.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#374276 - 03/01/18 12:29 PM

> Ishtar (never saw) probably has its moments. "Howard, The Duck" was probably the
> worst 1980s era movie. Make sure NetFlix doesn't offer that movie as an exchange.

"When I drew the above cartoon, I had not actually seen 'Ishtar.' Years later, I saw it on an airplane, and was stunned at what was happening to me: I was actually being entertained. Sure, maybe it's not the greatest film ever made, but my cartoon was way off the mark. There are so many cartoons for which I should probably write an apology, but this is the only one which compels me to do so." - Gary Larson

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Dear Netflix, I hate Mute new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#374277 - 03/01/18 04:34 PM

Yeah that's basically it. People should have lost respect for professional movie critics decades ago.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#374278 - 03/01/18 04:40 PM

I was lucky with Howard the Duck in that I was young enough that it felt like and I was a kid watching a kid's movie (albeit a dark one). I think the viewer's idea of the intended audience is pretty powerful on that one. This was before the 90s where they started adding in jokes for parents in kid's movies. In the 80s a kid's movie was a kid's movie and painful for adults. Anyway that's my 2 cents, if you're a kid and think you are about to watch a kid's movie, it wasn't bad. I think I was 9.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

#374363 - 03/03/18 09:54 PM

>In the 80s a kid's movie was a kid's movie and painful for adults. Anyway that's my 2
>cents, if you're a kid and think you are about to watch a kid's movie, it wasn't bad.

I was lucky enough that Walt Disney movie production was putting out quality stuff during 1960s and 1970s. The only one that I thought that didn't hold up was "Gus the kicking mule". Tim Conway and others did what they could to make it entertaining even though it wasn't good as other Disney movies.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Dear Netflix, I hate Mute new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#374364 - 03/03/18 09:59 PM

https://sunshineanddeathrays.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/ishtarfarside.jpg

-
"When I drew the above cartoon, I had not actually seen 'Ishtar.' Years later, I saw it on an airplane, and was stunned at what was happening to me: I was actually being entertained. Sure, maybe it's not the greatest film ever made, but my cartoon was way off the mark. There are so many cartoons for which I should probably write an apology, but this is the only one which compels me to do so." - Gary Larson
-

Kudos to Gary for stepping up and saying that. His strips were the best imo. I miss his work, but he provided many pieces that will still be funny years later whether he is around or not. I wonder if Gary ever reached out to Dustin Hoffman and Warren Beatty regarding this.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#374365 - 03/03/18 10:14 PM

> I was lucky enough that Walt Disney movie production was putting out quality stuff
> during 1960s and 1970s. The only one that I thought that didn't hold up was "Gus the
> kicking mule". Tim Conway and others did what they could to make it entertaining even
> though it wasn't good as other Disney movies.

Have you seen Condorman? It came out in 81...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condorman

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Dear Netflix, I hate Mute new [Re: krick]
#374367 - 03/03/18 10:31 PM

>> I was lucky enough that Walt Disney movie production was putting out quality stuff
>> during 1960s and 1970s. The only one that I thought that didn't hold up was "Gus the
>> kicking mule". Tim Conway and others did what they could to make it entertaining even
>> though it wasn't good as other Disney movies.

>Have you seen Condorman? It came out in 81...

I lucked out and missed that one since by 1981, I was 16 at the time and had gotten driving learners permit and was old enough to be able to see Porky's and other bawdy stuff and also blow money on movies sequel such as Friday 13th or Halloween.

Ironically, I had my CA drivers license and could go to arcades and play games even though the 10PM curfew laws were just starting to take shape in CA in early 1980s. The interesting experience was when traveling with DCI [drum and bugel corp Velvet Knights] in 1982 and going to 1982 DCI finals in Montreal, Quebec in August 1982 and finding out in Quebec region of Canada, they had rules that arcade attendees had to be 18 and over in order to go to arcades and play videogames without adult supervision.

I and a couple other Velvet Knight members, who also liked arcade games, were kicked out even though I showed my driver's license and one of the operators said to us VK members: "You guys are lucky enough to drive cars in California at under age of 18, but in this region of Canada [Quebec], you have to be 18 or over to play arcade videogames and drive cars. Sorry, but consider yourselves lucky that once DCI competition ends in next couple days and you guys go back to California, you guys can appreciate what you have down there in California compared to us citizens here in Quebec."

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

#374369 - 03/03/18 10:54 PM

You forgot:

"you guys can appreciate what you have down there in California compared to us citizens here in Quebec, Eh? Now take off... Please."

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Dear Netflix, I hate Mute new [Re: krick]
#374371 - 03/04/18 12:28 AM

You guys are nuts. That was my favorite movie in 1981. Of course, I was like 4 at the time but you guys are still nuts and imdb voters are mad.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Send PM

#374373 - 03/04/18 01:36 AM

I saw it when I was 11. I remember enjoying it but thinking it was really hokey.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#374390 - 03/04/18 08:41 AM

> I wonder if Gary ever reached out to Dustin Hoffman and Warren Beatty regarding this.

Hoffman and Beatty got through the Ishtar debacle relatively unscathed. The one you should feel sorry for is Elaine May - it pretty much crippled her career.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#374391 - 03/04/18 09:05 AM

> You guys are nuts. That was my favorite movie in 1981. Of course, I was like 4 at the
> time but you guys are still nuts and imdb voters are mad.

One of my favorite movies too. I was three in 1981, so I only ever caught it on VHS when I was seven or eight.
Last I looked, it was not available on BluRay and barely available on DVD. Been looking around for an HD rip off cable or something. That was a few years ago since I looked too.

- Stiletto

krick
Get Fuzzy
Send PM

Re: Dear Netflix, I hate Mute new [Re: Stiletto]
#374392 - 03/04/18 09:26 AM

Apparently, it's only available on DVD and only through the Disney Movie club.

There's a bunch on Ebay including a signed copy...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/152930771153

Gor
Giver of truth.
Loc: The basement
Send PM

Re: Dear Netflix, I hate Mute new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#374403 - 03/05/18 12:07 AM

> You forgot:
>
> "you guys can appreciate what you have down there in California compared to us
> citizens here in Quebec, Eh? Now take off... Please."

Also *insert stereotypical Frenchie laugh here*

Oh for Pete's sake.
loser.com

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 682