MAMEWorld >> MAME Artwork: Official
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Nintendo Game & Watch: Crab Grab artwork. There is a black bar at the top of the artwork covering up the score and others.
#394802 - 09/22/22 12:57 PM

https://imgur.com/a/cWrr7RA

I checked the images and there is no black bar at the top. Could be the top of the screen clear area issue to where it become black instead of clear.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

hap
Reged: 12/01/08
Send PM

Re: Nintendo Game & Watch: Crab Grab artwork. There is a black bar at the top of the artwork covering up the score and others. new [Re: Dullaron]
#394803 - 09/22/22 01:12 PM Attachment: ssparky_Subtract.zip 3 KB (7 downloads)

See attachment for fix

The forum won't let me attach the file for cgrab, maybe the file is too large (2.7MB).
Anyway, just remove the alpha channel from Subtract.png

Edited by hap (09/22/22 01:17 PM)

Dullaron
Send PM

Re: Nintendo Game & Watch: Crab Grab artwork. There is a black bar at the top of the artwork covering up the score and others. new [Re: hap]
#394806 - 09/22/22 05:23 PM Attachment: Screenshot (842).png 81 KB (0 downloads)

> See attachment for fix
>
> The forum won't let me attach the file for cgrab, maybe the file is too large
> (2.7MB).
> Anyway, just remove the alpha channel from Subtract.png

I open it up with paint and then save it. Works. Thanks for pointing that out. Now I'm sending a copy over to the laptop that have Ubuntu on it. That where all the handheld games are at.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

DarthMarino
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/27/11
Send PM

Re: Nintendo Game & Watch: Crab Grab artwork. There is a black bar at the top of the artwork covering up the score and others. new [Re: hap]
#394808 - 09/23/22 03:21 AM

What is causing this? It doesn't look like that on my end and in the 2.5 years since I made the artwork, no one has ever mentioned this issue.

View my gameplay videos:
Light Gun Games with Aimtrak
Trackball Games with X-Arcade Trackball
Star Wars Episode 1 Racer with Dual Throttle Controls

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

Re: Nintendo Game & Watch: Crab Grab artwork. There is a black bar at the top of the artwork covering up the score and others. new [Re: DarthMarino]
#394809 - 09/23/22 06:22 AM

Mine looks fine too. The only issue I have is that I cannot take a snapshot with any of the different artworks. All I can get is a grab of the Screen(0) Standard mode but I think that's because the gnw(maybe all the handheld) type deal with the screen & artwork differently than the standard video screen. Never really looked into it. Just as easy to use an external program to do a screen capture.

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

hap
Reged: 12/01/08
Send PM

Re: Nintendo Game & Watch: Crab Grab artwork. There is a black bar at the top of the artwork covering up the score and others. new [Re: DarthMarino]
#394811 - 09/23/22 12:01 PM

The transparent top part in Subtract.png in the two 'super color' games, gnw_cgrab and gnw_ssparky.

d3d, which is MAME's default renderer on Windows, is ok with it.
-opengl, -gdi, -bgfx(maybe not all backends) don't like it being multiply blended.

DarthMarino
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Nintendo Game & Watch: Crab Grab artwork. There is a black bar at the top of the artwork covering up the score and others. new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#394812 - 09/23/22 01:16 PM

> Mine looks fine too. The only issue I have is that I cannot take a snapshot with any
> of the different artworks. All I can get is a grab of the Screen(0) Standard mode but
> I think that's because the gnw(maybe all the handheld) type deal with the screen &
> artwork differently than the standard video screen. Never really looked into it. Just
> as easy to use an external program to do a screen capture.

If you go to Video Options: Snapshot, you should be able to pick which artwork you want the snapshot to use. I tried on a recent MAME and it works as expected.

View my gameplay videos:

DarthMarino
MAME Fan
Send PM

#394813 - 09/23/22 01:19 PM

> The transparent top part in Subtract.png in the two 'super color' games, gnw_cgrab
> and gnw_ssparky.
>
> d3d, which is MAME's default renderer on Windows, is ok with it.
> -opengl, -gdi, -bgfx(maybe not all backends) don't like it being multiply blended.

OK, thanks. I was able to reproduce it and updated the files for both games in my drive:

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/1/folders/1vl9O-0jIGCHHY_lrWpOwBtqTXEKsVGOY?usp=sharing

View my gameplay videos:

Dullaron
Send PM

#394816 - 09/24/22 04:26 AM

> > The transparent top part in Subtract.png in the two 'super color' games, gnw_cgrab
> > and gnw_ssparky.
> >
> > d3d, which is MAME's default renderer on Windows, is ok with it.
> > -opengl, -gdi, -bgfx(maybe not all backends) don't like it being multiply blended.
>
> OK, thanks. I was able to reproduce it and updated the files for both games in my
> drive:
>
> https://drive.google.com/drive/u/1/folders/1vl9O-0jIGCHHY_lrWpOwBtqTXEKsVGOY?usp=sharing

Thank you. I replace it. The one that I fix put out deep color on the crabs. Your fix is better.

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Send PM

#394817 - 09/24/22 04:50 AM Attachment: crabgrab-bgfx-snapshot_options.png 603 KB (0 downloads)

Matt,

With your old file I did get it using bgfx, gdi, opengl & direct3d. But with your updated 1 it worked as intended for all of them.

The only problem remaining is the snapshot menu. As you can see, none of the different view options show. All of others show up just fine except for Spitball Sparky.
These 2 are the only 2 Super Color GNW's and are the only 2 that have vertical rather than horizontal screens. I doubt it is more than mere coinsidence.
All the others I looked at(of any type) worked just fine. Perhaps something in the vertical orientation to start with is throwing it off but I'm not sure.
Anyway it appears that this fix will probably be a little bit deeper than just changing the lay file unfortunately.
Hopefully I'm wrong and someone will quickly point out my ignorance and it'll be fixed...

Thanks for all your hard work on the artwork!

Same goes to all the devs!

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

DarthMarino
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Nintendo Game & Watch: Crab Grab artwork. There is a black bar at the top of the artwork covering up the score and others. new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#394818 - 09/24/22 05:04 AM

> Matt,
>
> With your old file I did get it using bgfx, gdi, opengl & direct3d. But with your
> updated 1 it worked as intended for all of them.
>
> The only problem remaining is the snapshot menu. As you can see, none of the
> different view options show. All of others show up just fine except for Spitball
> Sparky.
> These 2 are the only 2 Super Color GNW's and are the only 2 that have vertical rather
> than horizontal screens. I doubt it is more than mere coinsidence.
> All the others I looked at(of any type) worked just fine. Perhaps something in the
> vertical orientation to start with is throwing it off but I'm not sure.
> Anyway it appears that this fix will probably be a little bit deeper than just
> changing the lay file unfortunately.
> Hopefully I'm wrong and someone will quickly point out my ignorance and it'll be
> fixed...
>
> Thanks for all your hard work on the artwork!
>
> Same goes to all the devs!

What MAME version are you using? I just tried on the current version and all the options are there in the snapshot menu. Maybe you need to delete the .ini files for Crab Grab and Spitball Sparky. I'm really not sure.

Here is what I see on my end:

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Send PM

#394821 - 09/24/22 11:08 PM

My bad...Thanks for the reminder. Shoulda deleted the ini's to begin with. That fixed it!
All good now, and that was a whole lot easier than finding a non-existant problem...

Thanks again!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> MAME Artwork: Official
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Mr. Do 
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 331