View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

AaronGiles
Galaxiwarrior
Reged: 09/21/03
Send PM

Bitmap to vector help
#238596 - 11/11/10 04:03 AM

I have an old B&W bitmap logo (non-MAME-related) that I want to convert to vector. The resolution is low enough that the auto-converting tools didn't do such a hot job with it.

Is there anyone handy with a vector editor willing to doing a quick bit of charity work?

PM me if so; I suspect it will not take long for someone with skillz.

Alternatively, are there any good free vector editors these days that I could use to clean up the auto-converted version?

Thanks,
Aaron

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

Re: Bitmap to vector help new [Re: AaronGiles]
#238610 - 11/11/10 05:44 AM

I did some B&W bitmap to vector conversions many years ago, though I can't remember what tools I used.

Depending on what exactly is happening now, it might be possible to play with the original bitmap in photoshop to get better results from whatever auto-vectorizing tools you have.

For example, try increasing the color depth to 16 million colors, then re-size the image 400 percent, run a blur filter, and then re-size to 25 percent.

At this point, you'll want to reduce the color depth back to 2 colors, but you might need to experiment with the contrast settings first so that the blurring "fringe" gets removed during the color depth reduction.

I also remember that whatever vectorizing tool I used didn't work well if the source bitmap was too large or too small, so you might want to play around with that too.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/19/10
Loc: The Room Next To You
Send PM

#238974 - 11/15/10 01:43 PM

I could do it if it's not overly detailed. Corel has a good auto-trace function, then you just go in and delete any extra nodes and smooth it out.

----------------------
I have officially retired from sucking at everything I do. Life is much easier now.

My MAME/MESS artwork files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ABxeKgNIrKlIsyck7dx4V241NFQDWAF4
Related screen shots: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U5IbvbVzYW97PuOOQuocvZFE_YJz7WIn

Ad_Enuff
MAME Artwork Project
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: London, UK
Send PM

#238980 - 11/15/10 03:12 PM

> I have an old B&W bitmap logo (non-MAME-related) that I want to convert to vector.
> The resolution is low enough that the auto-converting tools didn't do such a hot job
> with it.
>
> Is there anyone handy with a vector editor willing to doing a quick bit of charity
> work?
>
> PM me if so; I suspect it will not take long for someone with skillz.
>
> Alternatively, are there any good free vector editors these days that I could use to
> clean up the auto-converted version?
>
> Thanks,
> Aaron

Have you tried Adobe Illustrator CS5's LIVE TRACE? You can choose various options including low fidelity B&W art/photos

Try that, otherwise it's up to someone to do it by hand manually.

Ad_Enuff
MAME Hi-Res CD & DVD Covers / MAME Artwork Project

My current MAME system PC Specs: AMD Quad CORE 3.60GHz, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, ATI RADEON HD 6570 1Gb RAM, DirectX 11 & 9.0c, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> MAME Artwork: Official
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Mr. Do 
0 registered and 60 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3069