View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Vatican Knight
Faith, Honor, Respect
Reged: 06/13/12
Send PM

EmuCR viruses
#290743 - 07/02/12 02:33 PM

Has anyone ever found a virus in a download from one of the links in a file sharing website that hosts a file compiled and uploaded by EmuCR.com? I have found a Trojan Virus from two separate files that were uploaded by EmuCR.com onto one of the file sharing websites they use. You know how EmuCR will compile an emulator and upload it to several different file sharing websites. Well, on two separate occasions, Microsoft Security Essentials detected a Trojan Virus.

I found out that I am not the only one that this has happened to. I read on the EmuCR forum of other people experiencing this same problem. In one instance, a person posted a virus alert in the forum. Soon after he posted the virus alert, he said that the EmuCR staff deleted the virus and uploaded the cleaned file again pretending that there was no virus in the file to begin with.

My question is, why would EmuCR insert viruses into their uploads? I thought they were somewhat reputable and trustworthy.

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

Re: EmuCR viruses new [Re: Vatican Knight]
#290904 - 07/04/12 02:25 PM

> My question is, why would EmuCR insert viruses into their uploads? I thought they
> were somewhat reputable and trustworthy.

Does sound very strange.

Bottom line, never trust any file from any source. Run everything through Virus Total (http://www.virustotal.com/) and unless there is good reason not to, run everything in a sandbox (http://www.sandboxie.com/).

Moose

Bekki Doll
A cynical yet secular shiny retrogamer, thread ressurector and fan of the word "gay".
Reged: 01/28/12
Loc: Freeport, PA
Send PM

#290927 - 07/04/12 07:47 PM

Quote:

My question is, why would EmuCR insert viruses into their uploads? I thought they were somewhat reputable and trustworthy.

I don't think it was intentional on their part. But then, since they provide builds of MAME that go against MAME's licensing (removal of incomplete/imperfect ROM/emulation information dialogs, enabling of newly-released games, etc.), it wouldn't surprise me that quality and security are given lower priority just for the sake of 0-day warez wannabe kiddies.

I've never been a fan of emucr.com. I prefer getting my software directly from the authors and through their own authorized distribution sites without that shady layer of bureaucracy. Or even downloading the source and compiling the source straight from the source. :-)

When I read stuff like this it just confirms what I already knew. That's why I tell my friends to stay away from emucr.com.

Besides, I have friends who aren't comfortable in downloading anything from the 'net. At least I can be a trusted source and hook 'em up via a flash drive or multi-TB portable hard drive. So don't underestimate the overall data throughput of SneakerNet or HighwayNet. ;-)

--Bekki

Combating functional illiteracy with latex-clad drama since the '80s, because old video games rule!

Vatican Knight
Faith, Honor, Respect
Send PM

Re: EmuCR viruses new [Re: Bekki Doll]
#290955 - 07/05/12 01:51 AM

Quote:

I prefer getting my software directly from the authors and through their own authorized distribution sites without that shady layer of bureaucracy. Or even downloading the source and compiling the source straight from the source.

I also don't like to download software from third parties. I always download it from the source when possible. But since some emulators use EmuCR to release it's SVN compiled builds, I am forced to use it. I'll give you two examples. The NES emulator "FCEUX" and the Atari 2600 emulator "Stella". Both emulators do not have their SVN compiled builds posted on their official sites. They don't compile them for the user. So unless you know how to compile (which I don't), then you have to download it from EmuCR. FCEUX hasn't had an official bumped version release since December 2010. But there have been literally hundreds of SVN compiled builds with all various updates that EmuCR has compiled and uploaded for FCEUX. (I don't know why FCEUX is waiting so long to bump the version number and release the next official version.)

But anyways, yeah, so that's why I sometimes use EmuCR. So unless I learn how to compile SVN builds myself, I'm left with little choice but to have to use EmuCR.

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

#290962 - 07/05/12 02:36 AM

> I prefer getting my software directly from the authors and through their own
> authorized distribution sites without that shady layer of bureaucracy. Or even
> downloading the source and compiling the source straight from the source.
> I also don't like to download software from third parties. I always download it from
> the source when possible. But since some emulators use EmuCR to release it's SVN
> compiled builds, I am forced to use it. I'll give you two examples. The NES emulator
> "FCEUX" and the Atari 2600 emulator "Stella". Both emulators do not have their SVN
> compiled builds posted on their official sites. They don't compile them for the user.
> So unless you know how to compile (which I don't), then you have to download it from
> EmuCR. FCEUX hasn't had an official bumped version release since December 2010. But
> there have been literally hundreds of SVN compiled builds with all various updates
> that EmuCR has compiled and uploaded for FCEUX. (I don't know why FCEUX is waiting so
> long to bump the version number and release the next official version.)
>
> But anyways, yeah, so that's why I sometimes use EmuCR. So unless I learn how to
> compile SVN builds myself, I'm left with little choice but to have to use EmuCR.

I would advise everyone to stay as far away from EMUCR as you can. Even with protection firewall or some other anti-malware running - you know there are bad things going on there.

My experience is that any time I accessed the main drop site, change a page or even just 'sit there' with the page showing, I get every few seconds an attempt to entice my computer to send data.. causing Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to inform me via a pop-up of OUTGOING traffic from my machine to a suspicious IP. Below, for example:

20:18:23 Owner IP-BLOCK 117.21.224.235 (Type: outgoing)
20:18:26 Owner IP-BLOCK 117.21.224.235 (Type: outgoing)
20:18:26 Owner IP-BLOCK 117.21.224.235 (Type: outgoing)
20:18:32 Owner IP-BLOCK 117.21.224.235 (Type: outgoing)
20:18:32 Owner IP-BLOCK 117.21.224.235 (Type: outgoing)
20:18:44 Owner IP-BLOCK 117.21.224.235 (Type: outgoing)
20:18:47 Owner IP-BLOCK 117.21.224.235 (Type: outgoing)

A little research shows this:
http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/117.21.224.235

So, now, except for this one test just now to get the logs, I avoid the site like a plague. What you want to do with your computer and your personal data is up to you OSG. At the very least use a web proxy to visit the site to safeguard yourself some, get the file share links they have set up for your emulators (they rarely host on-site) and visit them outside of the site.

Vatican Knight
Faith, Honor, Respect
Send PM

Re: EmuCR viruses new [Re: Tafoid]
#290964 - 07/05/12 03:01 AM

Oh thank you Tafoid. I knew they were pieces of sh*t. I caught them red handed and they played it off saying "it must have been a false detection" or "I tested it with the same anti-virus program as you and didn't detect anything". Those son of a b*tches...

Weeks ago, I downloaded a compiled SVN build of an emulator. I then scanned the zip file with Microsoft Security Essentials. It detected a Trojan Virus. I deleted the file and re-downloaded it and scanned it again and again a Trojan Virus was detected in it. I reported the Virus Alert on their forum. The two main staff members, Nichole and Jei, responded back saying something like "No, there is no virus, we scan everything. Your anti-virus must have reported a false detection." I then re-downloaded the file after reading their response and scanned the file and the Trojan Virus was no longer there. They must have deleted the virus and re-uploaded the file again. So I called them out on it on the forum and confronted them saying that they must have sneakily deleted the virus and re-uploaded the file and pretended like there was no virus to begin with. They deleted that post by me. This whole scenario happened a SECOND time a week later. The same thing happened. They deleted the virus and re-uploaded the file pretending like there was never a virus there to begin with. Somebody should attack their website to teach them a lesson. Unfortunately, their WOT (Web of Trust) rating is excellent. EmuCR is tricking and infecting innocent people and something should be done about it! We all should spread the word to every forum that we're members at and let everyone know that EmuCR.com is a malicious website and to stay away!

Matty_
Part-time troll
Reged: 01/25/08
Send PM

#290969 - 07/05/12 03:48 AM

> My question is, why would EmuCR insert viruses into their uploads? I thought they
> were somewhat reputable and trustworthy.

EmuCR reputable? What have you been smoking?

Bekki Doll
A cynical yet secular shiny retrogamer, thread ressurector and fan of the word "gay".
Send PM

#290973 - 07/05/12 05:25 AM

Quote:

... blah blah blah ... But anyways, yeah, so that's why I sometimes use EmuCR.

Z26 is awesome if you want to get as close to the hot iron as possible for Atari 2600 e-moo:

http://www.whimsey.com/z26/

MAME is at http://mamedev.org and MAMEUI is at http://www.mameui.info for your arcade e-moo needz. And MAMEUIFX may be taking up the reins from MAMEUI. ChChChChChanges

EMUCR IS ASS!!!! Stinky! Dirty! Defecation. Ick!

--Bekki

Combating functional illiteracy with latex-clad drama since the '80s, because old video games rule!

Vatican Knight
Faith, Honor, Respect
Send PM

Re: EmuCR viruses new [Re: Bekki Doll]
#290974 - 07/05/12 05:29 AM

Quote:

Z26 is awesome if you want to get as close to the hot iron as possible for Atari 2600 e-moo:

You think Z26 is better than Stella? I didn't think there was even a comparison. I thought the active Stella blows the dead Z26 away?

I tried Z26 recently and if I remember correctly, it didn't have gamepad support? I could only use my keyboard. Is that true?

Bekki Doll
Send PM

My e-moo is better than your e-moo. So there! Phbbbbbbbbt!!! :-p new [Re: Vatican Knight]
#291004 - 07/05/12 07:58 PM

Quote:

You think Z26 is better than Stella?

I actually use them both. It's just that Z26 is much smoother on my W32 hardware than Stella. I think SDL may be the thing. On the other hand, Stella for DOS (ancient version) is awesome in DOS mode on my old 486. :-)

And yes, I can use my various gamepads and my Advantage with Z26. That and I tend to use Z26 more often than Stella.

--Bekki

Vatican Knight
Faith, Honor, Respect
Send PM

Re: My e-moo is better than your e-moo. So there! Phbbbbbbbbt!!! :-p new [Re: Bekki Doll]
#291039 - 07/06/12 11:34 AM

Ok, I just tried z26 again. And I remembered why I didn't use it. For some reason, z26 runs very slow on my computer. So slow that it's unplayable. There's something wrong because obviously it should be running at full speed. Also, everytime I quit a game, an error message is displayed saying "z26 has encountered a problem and needs to close..."

Can you help me?

(I am using the x26 front end. Windows XP 32-bit)

Thanks

Bekki Doll
Send PM

Re: My e-moo is better than your e-moo. So there! Phbbbbbbbbt!!! :-p new [Re: Vatican Knight]
#291058 - 07/06/12 05:45 PM

Quote:

There's something wrong because obviously it should be running at full speed. Also, everytime I quit a game, an error message is displayed saying "z26 has encountered a problem and needs to close..."

I have no idea. Other than reinstalling Z26/X26 from scratch I can't help you. I may be geeky but I don't do remote assistance.

--Bekki

Vatican Knight
Faith, Honor, Respect
Send PM

Re: My e-moo is better than your e-moo. So there! Phbbbbbbbbt!!! :-p new [Re: Bekki Doll]
#291061 - 07/06/12 05:58 PM

I will post this question in a new thread as to not hijack this thread. Maybe... hopefully someone will know the answer to this mystery. Thanks anyway B

Vatican Knight
Faith, Honor, Respect
Send PM

Re: EmuCR viruses new [Re: Tafoid]
#291574 - 07/12/12 04:41 AM

I posted a warning on the EmuCR forum that basically said that same thing you said. Of course, it was deleted within minutes of me posting it.

mesk
@ the arcade
Reged: 03/03/11
Loc: Rhode Island
Send PM

#291575 - 07/12/12 05:07 AM

EmuCR took pcsx2's WIP and labeled it pcsx2 v 1.0.0 simply to increase hits to the site.pcsx2 v 1.0.0 doesnt yet exist,they are still on 0.99.They also hosted the leaked Demul 0.57. Fuck those guys

Also,emuCR has a forum!?!?

Vatican Knight
Faith, Honor, Respect
Send PM

Re: EmuCR viruses new [Re: mesk]
#291583 - 07/12/12 06:55 AM

Quote:

Also,emuCR has a forum!?!?

It's like a little message board... it's ghetto as hell though. It's not real forum.

Bekki Doll
Send PM

Stella & Z26: Great 2600 emulators! new [Re: Vatican Knight]
#291652 - 07/13/12 12:41 AM

Quote:

Maybe... hopefully someone will know the answer to this mystery.

It turns out that there are FOUR different versions:

Quote:

From http://www.whimsey.com/z26/

The current release using OpenGL video for Windows, Linux and the Macintosh is version 3.02.
The current release using SDL video for Windows and x86 Linux is version 2.16.
The Classic Windows/Linux command-line version of z26 is version 2.13.
The current release for DOS is version 1.58.

I'll have to double-check what versions I'm running on my main desktop and my netbook. The Z26 version on my netbook is very fast and smooth. It captures the 2600 experience quite well. The one on my desktop runs a bit slower, possibly due to the larger screen resolution and/or SDL/OpenGL version. Oddly enough, if I run Z26 through X26 it runs nice and smooth as well (I don't use X26 on the netbook).

About all I can suggest is to try the SDL or OpenGL versions of Z26. Or go for Stella at http://stella.sourceforge.net - Both are very good 2600 emulators. I've just found z26 very nice for my needs.

--Bekki

Vatican Knight
Faith, Honor, Respect
Send PM

Re: Stella & Z26: Great 2600 emulators! new [Re: Bekki Doll]
#291663 - 07/13/12 03:08 AM

Thanks B. I'm going to try the SDL version and the Classic Windows version. I had been running the OpenGL version, which is why it was running mad slow on my computer.

If I'm going to be using the x26 Front End, then I might as well use the SDL version since it is more updated (2.16) than the Classic Windows Commandline version (2.13). Right?

Bekki Doll
Send PM

Re: Stella & Z26: Great 2600 emulators! new [Re: Vatican Knight]
#291667 - 07/13/12 03:33 AM

Quote:

If I'm going to be using the x26 Front End, then I might as well use the SDL version since it is more updated (2.16) than the Classic Windows Commandline version (2.13). Right?

It wouldn't hurt to give it a try for you can always delete it later. I just checked and I am running the SDL version within my netbook. And you're welcome. :-)

--Bekki

Vatican Knight
Faith, Honor, Respect
Send PM

Re: Stella & Z26: Great 2600 emulators! new [Re: Bekki Doll]
#291669 - 07/13/12 03:57 AM

I first tried the newest version out of the two, which is the SDL 2.16. And it works great! There's no point in trying the Classic Windows (older) version since the SDL version works just fine. Thanks for pointing out that there were 4 different versions. I guess the OpenGL v3.02 that utilized my video card was the problem.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#291670 - 07/13/12 04:12 AM

> I first tried the newest version out of the two, which is the SDL 2.16. And it works
> great! There's no point in trying the Classic Windows (older) version since the SDL
> version works just fine. Thanks for pointing out that there were 4 different
> versions. I guess the OpenGL v3.02 that utilized my video card was the problem.

For 2600 there's no reason not to use MESS, you know.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#291676 - 07/13/12 06:23 AM

> I first tried the newest version out of the two, which is the SDL 2.16. And it works
> great! There's no point in trying the Classic Windows (older) version since the SDL
> version works just fine. Thanks for pointing out that there were 4 different
> versions. I guess the OpenGL v3.02 that utilized my video card was the problem.

Yeah, you just won't have any core updates since May 2011, it seems. As long as you're happy, then it's okay.

- Stiletto

Vatican Knight
Faith, Honor, Respect
Send PM

Re: Stella & Z26: Great 2600 emulators! new [Re: R. Belmont]
#291679 - 07/13/12 07:00 AM

Quote:

For 2600 there's no reason not to use MESS, you know.

I do. I like to mix it up between Stella and MESS ... and now z26.

Bekki Doll
Send PM

Re: Stella & Z26: Great 2600 emulators! new [Re: Stiletto]
#291715 - 07/14/12 01:35 AM

Quote:

Yeah, you just won't have any core updates since May 2011, it seems.

Sometimes you can only take the core functionality so far. Afterwards it transitions to the matter of updating compatibility with future systems or, at the very least, interface polish.

Stella hardware is rather primitive in comparison to Naomi, for example. Not to mention the amount of time between the present and when specific hardware was first emulated, reverse-engineered further, and refined.

When you reach that goal of optimized cycle-accurate emulation without the need for software-specific patches and hacks then updates will naturally be less frequent. Volunteer developers and hardware hackers can then focus upon other things, where it be other emulation projects or just living and enjoying other aspects of life outside of the emulation scene.

It would be unwise of me to nitpick a project that has slowed down in its update schedule without acknowledging that Reality. MAME/MESS will naturally have a high update rate due to its huge scope of multi-platform emulation as more is discovered and documented for the sake of preserving history as opposed to a single-platform emulator with a just as long and productive development history.

--Bekki

Faust
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/07/11
Send PM

#292111 - 07/18/12 12:24 PM

> My question is, why would EmuCR insert viruses into their uploads?

Probably not. EmuCR "borrow" files from other sites and check this files only for delete extra information - maybe they open one wrong "files" and infect next.
This IP belong to chineese websearch (i have medium problem with traffic, by their bot).

IMO EmuCR is emu slauhterhouse, in the best case emufastfood. Easy come, easy go... but U never know what You get.

> I thought they were somewhat reputable and trustworthy.
Reputable and trustworthy is your mom and dad;), any sites may be infected, it is only a matter of time.

Little Ads: EmuCR isn't the only source of SVN. It is still my site (try2emu.net.pl).

Reg.
Faust

petran79
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/01/10
Send PM

Re: EmuCR viruses new [Re: Faust]
#292188 - 07/19/12 10:56 AM

Regarding PCSX2, no need to download from Emucr as there are available SVN builds from the official site. Only drawback that it has two separate exe and dll files, one with and one without version number. so you have to delete them each time.

Regarding MAME builds, emu-france is much better organized

Only for some Dolphin branches might it be worth to download.

I avoid downloading most of the time, I just check the news and go to the official site.

Emucr used to be decent one year ago, then anonymous trolls showed up and infested every news (especially PCSX2 and Bsnes) with flame/spam/hate posts to the point of not being funny anymore. anonymous postings before that were quite helpful or at least not so bad and low taste as they are now.

Then for a while anonymous posts were disabled but there were lost ad revenues because of that and they re-enabled it and it got worse than ever.

Also some authors, like the one from a Commodore 64 emulator, visited the site to help regarding the emulator. But this is a drop in the ocean.

Bekki Doll
Send PM

Re: EmuCR viruses new [Re: Faust]
#292447 - 07/23/12 12:53 AM

Quote:

IMO EmuCR is emu slauhterhouse, in the best case emufastfood. Easy come, easy go... but U never know what You get.

I was thinking back when I first got really into emulation in 1999. I remember when kids would set up GeoCities accounts with open passwords just to get emulators and other files out. But when I found a lode of K-RaD K00L phylez out in the open like that I leeched it all. Most of those sites are dead now, though I may have copies of the sites archived via spider from way back when.

If you ever want to relive the chaos, go to EmuCR. Just make sure that your browser is locked down before you visit. And make sure you know exactly what you're clicking on. ;-)

The really fun TopSites are the ones that claim that they're giving you search results and links to the stuff in question. Then you click on the links and it's just more TopSite results. Those sites make EmuCR appear legit by comparison.

--Bekki

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 76 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 7370