Pages: 1

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Humble Indie Bundle 9!
#314389 - 09/11/13 10:15 PM

Some games I've already got from other deals, or ones that were worth buying on their own, even.

Trine 2: Complete Story (I never finished #1)
Mark of the Ninja (may try this)
Eets Munchies (a beta game, not finished yet)
Brütal Legend (yes, the Jack Black Heavy Metal "epic")

Beat the average(still under $5.00 US) to get:
FTL: Faster Than Light (this was fun, bought it a while back as a separate purchase)
FEZ! (puzzle platformer, wanted to play)

5 Soundtracks (no, there are no "real" heavy metal songs on the BL soundtrack)

"More stuff" promised. Last time they added stuff, the locked add-ins were available even though I didn't pay to unlock the first locked stuff (I got that EA bundle just for the _arcade_racing_arcade_racer_ Burnout Paradise).

Something out of this may be worth adding to a permanent collection. I'm still playing The Binding of Isaac at least weekly, even having to enable and disable JoyToKey to do so.

Edited by TriggerFin (09/11/13 10:16 PM)

jeremymtc
Shot Maker
Reged: 01/09/07
Loc: Calimammy
Send PM

Re: Humble Indie Bundle 9! new [Re: TriggerFin]
#314402 - 09/12/13 04:06 AM

> Some games I've already got from other deals, or ones that were worth buying on their
> own, even.
>
> Trine 2: Complete Story (I never finished #1)
> Mark of the Ninja (may try this)
> Eets Munchies (a beta game, not finished yet)
> Brütal Legend (yes, the Jack Black Heavy Metal "epic")
>
> Beat the average(still under $5.00 US) to get:
> FTL: Faster Than Light (this was fun, bought it a while back as a separate purchase)
> FEZ! (puzzle platformer, wanted to play)
>
> 5 Soundtracks (no, there are no "real" heavy metal songs on the BL soundtrack)
>
> "More stuff" promised. Last time they added stuff, the locked add-ins were available
> even though I didn't pay to unlock the first locked stuff (I got that EA bundle just
> for the _arcade_racing_arcade_racer_ Burnout Paradise).
>
> Something out of this may be worth adding to a permanent collection. I'm still
> playing The Binding of Isaac at least weekly, even having to enable and disable
> JoyToKey to do so.

I picked up the EA bundle a few weeks ago, but after playing around with the titles in it, there's nothing there that really particularly interests me.

Did anything ever come of the Mojam game? Don't think I've even fired it up since the day of the livestream...

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

#314405 - 09/12/13 04:39 AM

> 5 Soundtracks (no, there are no "real" heavy metal songs on the BL soundtrack)

You can extract ALL the music from the Brutal Legend game files with this program (and many others):

http://quickandeasysoftware.net/software/doublefine-explorer

The songs are in good quality MP3 format.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: Humble Indie Bundle 9! new [Re: jeremymtc]
#314406 - 09/12/13 04:41 AM

> I picked up the EA bundle a few weeks ago, but after playing around with the titles
> in it, there's nothing there that really particularly interests me.

I'd like a racing game, but boosting at ridiculous speeds along the side rails doesn't do it for me, really. Even so, I played through to the penultimate license, which I'll never get past because I can't drive the fastest cars to get their "Burning Routes."

> Did anything ever come of the Mojam game? Don't think I've even fired it up since the
> day of the livestream...

Hmm... Catacomb Snatch? I think the code was turned over to the public, and it forked into a few things. There were also
Fists of Resistance and The Broadside Express from that. haven't really wanted to look at them.

Mojang... I did buy the card game, Scrolls (extra cards come from playing, not paying). Notch dropped his space game, 0x10c or however they write out "Oxtense" because he'd rather not have to deal with the pressure. The Minecraft team has rewritten terrain gen, again.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

#314408 - 09/12/13 05:02 AM

> Mark of the Ninja (may try this)

I recommend it! It's very fun, and you'll probably find yourself playing level after level... After 8 or so hours you may start to think; "Man, I gotta quit... But just one more level."

However, they recently added a DLC (for $4.99) that adds a new level (and 2 new Ninja items), along with dev commentary. Since I updated this game the controls for a controller (an XB360) have gone wonky. Directional pushes go past 2 items in any menu, you have to hold the jump button to hide, and if you press the B button you jump. The slow descend technique doesn't work if you hold jump 'A' (I think you have to hold 'B'). Also, you can't do Stealth Kills with the controller. And a few other issues.

So if you happen to experience (some of) these issues then just play with the keyboard. Sadly, it just isn't the same experience -control wise. Although, there are times when using the mouse helps when you need to aim, especially when you're in a room with many objects you have to fire at and you want to hit certain ones.

EDIT: Download a controller update from Microsoft and restart. For the game to recognize the controller and not have it act "wonky"... Apparently you have to start the game via the Steam menu/library (not via the desktop icon), have the controller unplugged, then plug it in once the game is running. >:-/

Edited by Tomu Breidah (09/12/13 09:07 AM)

LEVEL-4

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

Wait, is Fez on PC now? [NT] new [Re: TriggerFin]
#314412 - 09/12/13 05:06 AM

jeremymtc
Shot Maker
Send PM

#314413 - 09/12/13 05:06 AM

> I'd like a racing game, but boosting at ridiculous speeds along the side rails
> doesn't do it for me, really. Even so, I played through to the penultimate license,
> which I'll never get past because I can't drive the fastest cars to get their
> "Burning Routes."

I truly dig racing games, but Burnout isn't really my kettle of fish. Played around with it for an hour and giggled a little bit, but yeah. Have been playing around in Simbin's Raceroom for a while, and it's an odd duck but still enjoyable for me. Nice hardcore sim creds, but in a strictly time-trial/hotlap format. It's a nice diversion for me as a lapsed league sim-racer, can just pick it up and run some laps whenever I feel like it, and no week-long practice/setup sessions to be competitive for the weekend's live races.

> Hmm... Catacomb Snatch? I think the code was turned over to the public, and it forked
> into a few things. There were also
> Fists of Resistance and The Broadside Express from that. haven't really wanted to
> look at them.

Yes, Catacomb Snatch was the one I was thinking of. Might see what's become of it.

>
> Mojang... I did buy the card game, Scrolls (extra cards come from playing, not
> paying). Notch dropped his space game, 0x10c or however they write out "Oxtense"
> because he'd rather not have to deal with the pressure. The Minecraft team has
> rewritten terrain gen, again.

Damn, Notch dropped Ox10c? Was looking forward to that one, eventually. I'll bet all the guys writing programs for the interpreter are pissed.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Yup. Might be why I'd not bought it before. [NT] new [Re: Hizzout]
#314416 - 09/12/13 05:09 AM

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: Humble Indie Bundle 9! new [Re: jeremymtc]
#314418 - 09/12/13 05:29 AM

> > I'd like a racing game, but boosting at ridiculous speeds along the side rails
> > doesn't do it for me, really. Even so, I played through to the penultimate license,
> > which I'll never get past because I can't drive the fastest cars to get their
> > "Burning Routes."
>
>
> I truly dig racing games, but Burnout isn't really my kettle of fish. Played around
> with it for an hour and giggled a little bit, but yeah. Have been playing around in
> Simbin's Raceroom for a while, and it's an odd duck but still enjoyable for me. Nice
> hardcore sim creds, but in a strictly time-trial/hotlap format. It's a nice diversion
> for me as a lapsed league sim-racer, can just pick it up and run some laps whenever I
> feel like it, and no week-long practice/setup sessions to be competitive for the
> weekend's live races.

Hmm. Not like I actually have a wheel. I'll bookmark it. The last good racer I played was Dirt to Daytona, on... GameCube? Through the Wii. Lightweight Sim, with stuff to tinker with, and structured racing seasons. Nearly the last AAA racing sim before EASports bought everything. There are certainly others now (I'm following a few YouTube people who are looking for them, mostly they end up with arcade racers) but I try not to spend over $25 on my bug-fests these days.

> Yes, Catacomb Snatch was the one I was thinking of. Might see what's become of it.

> > Mojang... I did buy the card game, Scrolls (extra cards come from playing, not
> > paying). Notch dropped his space game, 0x10c or however they write out "Oxtense"
> > because he'd rather not have to deal with the pressure. The Minecraft team has
> > rewritten terrain gen, again.
>
> Damn, Notch dropped Ox10c? Was looking forward to that one, eventually. I'll bet all
> the guys writing programs for the interpreter are pissed.

He did hand over the code, I think. They do that. But still, not having the game there would be... less than desired. He'd stopped work on it a while back, but hadn't made it official until a new round of inquiries came along.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#314426 - 09/12/13 07:33 AM

> > > Mojang... I did buy the card game, Scrolls (extra cards come from playing, not
> > > paying). Notch dropped his space game, 0x10c or however they write out "Oxtense"
> > > because he'd rather not have to deal with the pressure. The Minecraft team has
> > > rewritten terrain gen, again.
> >
> > Damn, Notch dropped Ox10c? Was looking forward to that one, eventually. I'll bet
> all
> > the guys writing programs for the interpreter are pissed.
>
> He did hand over the code, I think. They do that. But still, not having the game
> there would be... less than desired. He'd stopped work on it a while back, but hadn't
> made it official until a new round of inquiries came along.

He's quickly becoming the Kevin Smith of gaming.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

4 new games... new [Re: TriggerFin]
#314743 - 09/18/13 09:41 PM

Bastion, Limbo, and 2 games I've never heard of.

Haven't finished Fez yet, but I've got a lot of it. There are some QR codes in it... I'll have to find a way to deal with that.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Send PM

Re: 4 new games... new [Re: TriggerFin]
#314830 - 09/20/13 01:35 AM

> Bastion, Limbo, and 2 games I've never heard of.
>
> Haven't finished Fez yet, but I've got a lot of it. There are some QR codes in it...
> I'll have to find a way to deal with that.

The QR codes are -one- way to solve the puzzles.

The same answers are available within the game in other forms as different clues.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: 4 new games... new [Re: Foxhack]
#314832 - 09/20/13 01:48 AM

> > Bastion, Limbo, and 2 games I've never heard of.
> >
> > Haven't finished Fez yet, but I've got a lot of it. There are some QR codes in
> it...
> > I'll have to find a way to deal with that.
>
> The QR codes are -one- way to solve the puzzles.
>
> The same answers are available within the game in other forms as different clues.

And those different clues, from what I've read on these things since, often require that you finish the game first, to get the "New Game+" option that enables first person view.

I found a QR reader, but getting the image requires switching to windowed mode, then editing the images to make them high contrast.

Matty_
Part-time troll
Reged: 01/25/08
Send PM

Re: 4 new games... new [Re: TriggerFin]
#314834 - 09/20/13 02:37 AM

> I found a QR reader, but getting the image requires switching to windowed mode, then
> editing the images to make them high contrast.

get a phone app and point it at the game screen

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Those have a hardware requirement. (nt) new [Re: Matty_]
#314856 - 09/20/13 01:25 PM

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

Re: 4 new games... new [Re: Matty_]
#314857 - 09/20/13 04:54 PM

My phone rarely will read one off a screen. Think the refresh on the phone and the screen mess with each other. Usually takes a good 5-10 mins of playing with it to get it to scan. For that game I gave up and just went online to see what they said.

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

no they don't new [Re: TriggerFin]
#314860 - 09/20/13 05:41 PM

Software requirement.

iOS or Android. All of the phones with those operating systems have QR scanners. Technically you'd be right as the 1 and only hardware requirement is a camera, but what phone with those operating systems doesn't have a camera?

Actually I find it hard to believe that Windows or Blackberry phones can't do it so really ANY smart phone can

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

Re: no they don't new [Re: URherenow]
#314861 - 09/20/13 06:25 PM

> Software requirement.
>
> iOS or Android. All of the phones with those operating systems have QR scanners.
> Technically you'd be right as the 1 and only hardware requirement is a camera, but
> what phone with those operating systems doesn't have a camera?
>
> Actually I find it hard to believe that Windows or Blackberry phones can't do it so
> really ANY smart phone can

I believe the hardware requirement he's referring to is the phone itself. Believe it or not, there are still people who do not have smartphones, or even cell phones of any type. I was one myself until not very long ago.

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

haven't you heard? new [Re: DMala]
#314862 - 09/20/13 06:45 PM

You were the last one! Congrats! You just escaped from the Orc zone (old bast still communicates with 2 cans of Campbell's soup and a string)!

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: haven't you heard? new [Re: URherenow]
#314863 - 09/20/13 06:53 PM

> You were the last one! Congrats! You just escaped from the Orc zone (old bast still
> communicates with 2 cans of Campbell's soup and a string)!

Well, you've just doomed me to remain forever phoneless.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Send PM

Re: no they don't new [Re: DMala]
#314864 - 09/20/13 07:52 PM

> > Software requirement.
> >
> > iOS or Android. All of the phones with those operating systems have QR scanners.
> > Technically you'd be right as the 1 and only hardware requirement is a camera, but
> > what phone with those operating systems doesn't have a camera?
> >
> > Actually I find it hard to believe that Windows or Blackberry phones can't do it so
> > really ANY smart phone can
>
> I believe the hardware requirement he's referring to is the phone itself. Believe it
> or not, there are still people who do not have smartphones, or even cell phones of
> any type. I was one myself until not very long ago.

I don't have a phone either, so I used a couple of websites that let you upload QR codes yourself.

http://www.patrick-wied.at/static/qrgen/

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: 4 new games... new [Re: lharms]
#314871 - 09/21/13 02:56 AM

> My phone rarely will read one off a screen. Think the refresh on the phone and the
> screen mess with each other. Usually takes a good 5-10 mins of playing with it to get
> it to scan. For that game I gave up and just went online to see what they said.

Must have a crappy phone :P
No trouble like that at all with Galaxy S3, in fact it's often the easiest way to get little bits of text from computer to phone.

jeremymtc
Shot Maker
Send PM

Re: haven't you heard? new [Re: TriggerFin]
#314874 - 09/21/13 03:32 AM

> > You were the last one! Congrats! You just escaped from the Orc zone (old bast still
> > communicates with 2 cans of Campbell's soup and a string)!
>
> Well, you've just doomed me to remain forever phoneless.

...And me. Damn, Dmala, you caved? :P

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

Re: haven't you heard? new [Re: jeremymtc]
#314878 - 09/21/13 06:18 AM

> ...And me. Damn, Dmala, you caved? :P

I've had hand-me-down iPhones for a while now, but I just use them on WiFi so I dunno if that counts.

I ended up getting an honest-to-God cellular communication device after some trouble on the highway a few months ago. I was on I-95 just south of Boston at about 10:00 at night, and my tire pressure sensor started going off. I figured it would be safer to check and/or change a tire off the highway, so I jumped off at the next exit, expecting strip malls and lighted parking lots. It turned out I was one exit further south than I thought I was, and I ended up literally out in the woods with a totally flat tire. There weren't even any street lights. So I go ahead and try to change the tire, but the lug wrench Mazda gives you is the size of a salad fork, and doesn't have nearly enough leverage to break the lugs free. At this point, I have little choice but to lock the car up, start hoofing it, and hope for the best. Fortunately, there were a few houses about 1/4 mile down the road, and I lucked out to find people who were incredibly nice and not too terrified to open their door to a stranger in the middle of the night.

After that, I decided a cheap cell to have for emergencies was a worthy investment, so I'm now the proud owner of a $10 GoPhone that costs me $25 every three months. I basically buy $25 worth of minutes/texts that expire in three months, except if I buy more minutes before they expire, I get to keep the old minutes too. Since it takes me about six months to spend $25 worth of minutes, in a few years I'll have enough minutes to talk until the sun swallows the Earth.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: haven't you heard? new [Re: DMala]
#314879 - 09/21/13 07:05 AM

Well, I just bought a real phone, since I've let my home phone go.

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

Re: 4 new games... new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#314887 - 09/21/13 05:36 PM

> Must have a crappy phone :P
> No trouble like that at all with Galaxy S3, in fact it's often the easiest way to get
> little bits of text from computer to phone.

It is a DroidX. The thing is a tank. However the motorola phone cameras tend to have poor night conditions and awful fl. The latest galaxy unfortunately seems to have a fairly thin screen so if you look at it right they crack. I was going to get that until I started reading about people cracking the screens really easy. Guess I will just wait until the next 'you must have this phone' craze

jalarcon
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/22/12
Send PM

Re: 4 new games... *DELETED* new [Re: TriggerFin]
#314908 - 09/21/13 08:12 PM

Post deleted by Mr. Do

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: 4 new games... new [Re: jalarcon]
#314916 - 09/21/13 09:08 PM

> Have you finished that game yet? If yes, how was the end?

The only game in the bundle that I've finished to date is FTL. But there, finished is barely begun, and I've not gotten everything.

As for Fez, I'm at 98.4%, so I should probably figure out how to finish it.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 89 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2381