MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

jopezu
bread-train
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: georgia
Send PM

when the technologically superior sequel is clearly inferior.
#377094 - 06/22/18 05:25 PM

i don't think there's a better example of this than prehistoric isle 1/2.

the sequel has cgi-prerendered flash & bang for days, pseudo 1st-person sequences, clearly bigger sprites, roars, civilian rescues, much more varied enemies & patterns, etc. it's over 30 times the size of the original (1.7MB vs 66MB).

but, the 8-way orbital option mechanic of the original is just somehow more engaging and enjoyable all the way through. the original is clearly bested by the sequel in every regard other than gameplay, and i think that helps prove the longstanding claim that gameplay > else.

any other good examples of this?

xoxo

i learned everything i know from KC

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: when the technologically superior sequel is clearly inferior. new [Re: jopezu]
#377095 - 06/22/18 05:30 PM

> any other good examples of this?

IMO Gals Panic is more fun than any of its sequels.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: when the technologically superior sequel is clearly inferior. new [Re: jopezu]
#377099 - 06/22/18 06:11 PM

> i don't think there's a better example of this than prehistoric isle 1/2.
>
> the sequel has cgi-prerendered flash & bang for days, pseudo 1st-person sequences,
> clearly bigger sprites, roars, civilian rescues, much more varied enemies & patterns,
> etc. it's over 30 times the size of the original (1.7MB vs 66MB).
>
> but, the 8-way orbital option mechanic of the original is just somehow more engaging
> and enjoyable all the way through. the original is clearly bested by the sequel in
> every regard other than gameplay, and i think that helps prove the longstanding claim
> that gameplay > else.
>
>
> xoxo

There are hundreds of examples of this across arcade and home systems.

Sequels often lose many of the more unique aspects of the original games, often because those elements were considered the ones that were more difficult to understand or because they required more careful balancing than just 'content, content, content'. In many cases you also get what seems to be change for the sake of change. A lot of the most lasting memories of games we have are of the bits that stood out, sometimes these were the most frustrating bits, or bits that required additional learning, however there seems to be a lot of demand to smooth such parts out.

I'd say every sequel to Strider falls into this category, for all the flashy PSX era graphics 'Strider 2' was just unenjoyable and bland.

For your example, I'm not even sure I'd consider the CGI art of the sequel to be better, it just seems lazy, visually the game loses something even before you consider the gameplay.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

#377100 - 06/22/18 06:13 PM

>
> xoxo

Space Invader sequels Return of the Invaders, Super Space Invaders, Space Invaders 95, and Space Invaders DX.

jopezu
bread-train
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: georgia
Send PM

Re: when the technologically superior sequel is clearly inferior. new [Re: Haze]
#377107 - 06/22/18 06:47 PM

> There are hundreds of examples of this across arcade and home systems.

yep, just trying to get the conversation going. =)

> change. A lot of the most lasting memories of games we have are of the bits that
> stood out, sometimes these were the most frustrating bits, or bits that required
> additional learning, however there seems to be a lot of demand to smooth such parts
> out.

agreed! battletoads speed bike...

> For your example, I'm not even sure I'd consider the CGI art of the sequel to be
> better, it just seems lazy, visually the game loses something even before you
> consider the gameplay.

right, it's just apparent that more collaboration & technology were required to produce the sequels visuals.

i learned everything i know from KC

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 124 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 355