MAMEWorld >> News
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Digitalghost
MAMEHub Creator
Reged: 06/15/10
Loc: California, USA
Send PM

ClientServerMAME 0.7c Released
#234979 - 09/29/10 06:58 AM

CS-MAME 0.7c is out. It is 0.7c and not 0.8 because it involves an overhaul of the underlying network architecture.

To get the latest version, go to the github site here:
http://github.com/MisterTea/ClientServerMAME/downloads

For more details and to follow the progress of ClientServerMAME, check out my blog:
http://10ghost.blogspot.com/

I've also published a video with step-by-step instructions on how to run ClientServerMAME. Check it out here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be1_3Lp0xq0

Here's a list of changes since 0.7:

-Initial game state is now compressed. Keep in mind that the initial game state can still be several megs depending on the rom.

-There is now a message telling users that the initial game state download is in progress and to be patient.

-BUG FIX: The server will now continue to send delta game states while the initial game state is downloading. This prevents desyncs that were occurring when the server would fail to send game state updates while the client was downloading the initial state.

-There is now a UI message letting users know that the first few minutes of gameplay will be lagged while the client digests all of the server deltas that have been building up while the client downloaded the initial game state. In practice this has resolved itself in under 30 seconds, but it could take a few minutes for some of the larger roms.

-The initial sync is now sent in chunks and a progress bar is included.

-Delta syncs are now sent over the course of time. This keeps the UDP stream from getting clogged with large delta syncs

-Delta syncs are now transparently sent in the background. Instead of the client waiting for a delta sync, the client performs a save state to memory at the time where the sync should take place, then continues processing. When the delta sync comes in from the server, the client compares the sync to its snapshot and if they match, ignores it. If they don't match, the client goes back in time, replaces its ram with the server's ram, and then fast forwards to the present. This makes delta syncs almost unnoticeable

-Added the "secondsbetweensync" option to mame.ini. This option allows the user to control how often to perform a sync. NOTE THAT THE CLIENTS AND SERVER MUST HAVE EXACTLY THE SAME VALUE

-Added the "synctransferseconds" option. This controls the rate at which a sync is sent to the client. Lower number means faster rates and less recovery time from a sync, but result in increased network bandwidth and may cause delays. NOTE THAT THE CLIENTS AND SERVER MUST HAVE EXACTLY THE SAME VALUE

-If the client performs a delta sync, it will fast forward without updating the video to allow for rapid catch-up

-BUG FIX: The chat feature was broken for client, and only the server could talk. This has been fixed (remember, press 'T' to start a chat)

-Press 'N' to hide the networking UI (ping and traffic statistics)

-BUG FIX: Server messages were getting overwritten by a memory overrun, this has been fixed.

Check out MAMEHub here: http://www.mamehub.info/

TrevEB
Brokering peace between the collectors and the Mame Community
Reged: 03/11/05
Loc: Oakland, CA
Send PM

Re: ClientServerMAME 0.7c Released new [Re: Digitalghost]
#235020 - 09/29/10 07:38 PM

Ok, I'm going to play ignorant
What is the purpose of ClientServer Mame.

Am I installing Mame on a server, and having 1-4 or whatever pc's tap into it?

Is Mame running locally or from the server?

If mame is running locally, then the server is keeping everything in sync?

Does it allow for 2-4-6 player games to be played on multiple PC's?

Your video ended with "enjoy playing mame online"
Does CSM allow for playing over an internet connection?

Digitalghost
MAMEHub Creator
Send PM

Re: ClientServerMAME 0.7c Released new [Re: TrevEB]
#235038 - 09/29/10 08:54 PM

Hey,

CS-MAME is meant for playing games online. Each player should have his/her own PC. The server stars the game, then tells everyone else his IP address and they connect to his/her game through the Internet. The only reason why I had multiple copies of CS-MAME running on one machine is so that I could demonstrate the features without making two videos and stitching them together, but the point is actually to run CS-MAME twice from two remote locations and play a game.

The Clients and the Server both run CS-MAME, and the network protocol ensures that the games remain in sync and also handles transferring the user commands amongst all of the players.

Basically, it allows any number of people to play MAME collaboratively over the Internet just as if they were all sitting together.

In short, yes, CS-MAME allows you to play MAME with other people over the internet.

Does this make sense?

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

#235059 - 09/30/10 12:07 AM

However, you could use this network two cabinets (say, like, Mario Kart dual), huh?

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

Digitalghost
MAMEHub Creator
Send PM

Re: ClientServerMAME 0.7c Released new [Re: mogli]
#235064 - 09/30/10 12:40 AM

Yeah, if you are going to play on a LAN, you can set the parameters in the ini to make the games play smoother since you have so much bandwidth between the machines. See the youtube vid for more details. Remember that if you change one of the sync parameters on one machine, you have to change them all, otherwise everything breaks (a future version will fix this).

Once the MESS folks get multitap working, you could play 4 player SNES games with it too =)

ShimaPong
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/12/05
Send PM

#235066 - 09/30/10 12:49 AM

> CS-MAME is meant for playing games online

"(Enjoy) Playing games"...! Main purpose is the same as ToaMAME (used OST sound) or ZincPlugInMAME !!
I understand MAME team allows "playing" than "emulation" due to buy into these threads.

"Any company has no power to stop people emulating"
MAME is the emulator of no giving in the pressure from any company even if they don't allow

franciscohs
M.A.M.E. fan
Reged: 10/04/08
Loc: Argentina
Send PM

#235067 - 09/30/10 12:54 AM

> Yeah, if you are going to play on a LAN, you can set the parameters in the ini to
> make the games play smoother since you have so much bandwidth between the machines.
> See the youtube vid for more details. Remember that if you change one of the sync
> parameters on one machine, you have to change them all, otherwise everything breaks
> (a future version will fix this).
>
> Once the MESS folks get multitap working, you could play 4 player SNES games with it
> too =)

Would it be possible to build a server that is only a server and doesn't rely on any roms?

Maybe what I'm saying doesn't make sense, but what I'm thinking is a server who's only task is to relay states of all the clients between them, regardless of which wom is being played. This way I think it would be possible to have public internet servers, since this way (again, I think) it would be legal to do so, since there are no roms on the site, and at the same time, the server doesn't have to spend any resources "playing" the game. I guess the problem here would be that the server doesn't play the game and this way it doesn't have any way to maintain the "main" state, this could be done by assigning a master client or something, like the first it connects and hosts the game.

What do you think?

Mojo2000
Regular
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: North America
Send PM

#235068 - 09/30/10 01:17 AM

> I've also published a video with step-by-step instructions on how to run
> ClientServerMAME. Check it out here:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be1_3Lp0xq0

That, right there, is probably a deal clincher. Gonna have to check it out sometime! Thanks for making that effort.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: ClientServerMAME 0.7c Released new [Re: franciscohs]
#235069 - 09/30/10 01:28 AM

> Maybe what I'm saying doesn't make sense, but what I'm thinking is a server who's
> only task is to relay states of all the clients between them, regardless of which wom
> is being played. This way I think it would be possible to have public internet
> servers, since this way (again, I think) it would be legal to do so, since there are
> no roms on the site, and at the same time, the server doesn't have to spend any
> resources "playing" the game. I guess the problem here would be that the server
> doesn't play the game and this way it doesn't have any way to maintain the "main"
> state, this could be done by assigning a master client or something, like the first
> it connects and hosts the game.

You're talking nonsense. There is a "master client" right now, it's called the server. If you want matchmaking through a central authority, you'll need to pay for whatever that frontend was that Smitt kept flaming last week.

franciscohs
M.A.M.E. fan
Reged: 10/04/08
Loc: Argentina
Send PM

Re: ClientServerMAME 0.7c Released new [Re: R. Belmont]
#235071 - 09/30/10 02:37 AM

> You're talking nonsense. There is a "master client" right now, it's called the
> server. If you want matchmaking through a central authority, you'll need to pay for
> whatever that frontend was that Smitt kept flaming last week.

Well, I specifically said maybe it didn't make sense...

Maybe what the "public server" should do is manage game sessions and announce anyone (server) that initiates a game for clients to join. Then again, maybe is what that frontend does, it's still not clear to me...

CrapBoardSoftware
My real name is banned dickhead
Reged: 01/03/06
Loc: Wisconsin
Send PM

Re: ClientServerMAME 0.7c Released new [Re: ShimaPong]
#235106 - 09/30/10 09:05 AM

> > CS-MAME is meant for playing games online
>
> "(Enjoy) Playing games"...! Main purpose is the same as ToaMAME (used OST sound) or
> ZincPlugInMAME !!
> I understand MAME team allows "playing" than "emulation" due to buy into these
> threads.

NOOOOOO... not again. Here, your cookie.

ranger_lennier
Reged: 04/07/05
Send PM

Re: ClientServerMAME 0.7c Released new [Re: mogli]
#235123 - 09/30/10 02:08 PM

> However, you could use this network two cabinets (say, like, Mario Kart dual), huh?

If I understand correctly, you're talking about emulating multi-player in arcade games where the original arcade cabinets used a LAN connection to allow multi-player on multiple cabinets. In that case, I don't believe ClientServerMAME does that. ClientServerMAME allows multi-player on multiple computer connected to the Internet, but emulating arcade games where in the original, multiple players would have played on a single machine.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#235165 - 09/30/10 09:15 PM

> Maybe what the "public server" should do is manage game sessions and announce anyone
> (server) that initiates a game for clients to join. Then again, maybe is what that
> frontend does, it's still not clear to me...

The frontend allows people who don't know each other to play by providing a central chat lobby and launching mechanism. IOW, it does exactly what you want.

Digitalghost
MAMEHub Creator
Send PM

#235177 - 09/30/10 11:25 PM

>
> Would it be possible to build a server that is only a server and doesn't rely on any
> roms?
>
> Maybe what I'm saying doesn't make sense, but what I'm thinking is a server who's
> only task is to relay states of all the clients between them, regardless of which wom
> is being played. This way I think it would be possible to have public internet
> servers, since this way (again, I think) it would be legal to do so, since there are
> no roms on the site, and at the same time, the server doesn't have to spend any
> resources "playing" the game. I guess the problem here would be that the server
> doesn't play the game and this way it doesn't have any way to maintain the "main"
> state, this could be done by assigning a master client or something, like the first
> it connects and hosts the game.
>
> What do you think?

Well, to take your idea one step farther, you could make a server that doesn't even have CS-MAME on it, but is basically a chat server which can tell the chat participants to execute the CS-MAME program with the correct parameters.

So it's just a chat where you can start a game or right-click on someone and join their game. You would have to have the chat program tell you the other person's IP address and what rom to run, but that's easy enough.

Digitalghost
MAMEHub Creator
Send PM

Re: ClientServerMAME 0.7c Released new [Re: ranger_lennier]
#235178 - 09/30/10 11:37 PM

> > However, you could use this network two cabinets (say, like, Mario Kart dual), huh?
>
>
> If I understand correctly, you're talking about emulating multi-player in arcade
> games where the original arcade cabinets used a LAN connection to allow multi-player
> on multiple cabinets. In that case, I don't believe ClientServerMAME does that.
> ClientServerMAME allows multi-player on multiple computer connected to the Internet,
> but emulating arcade games where in the original, multiple players would have played
> on a single machine.

Whoops, I thought you meant "super mario kart", I didn't realize that Mario Kart Dual is a different game :-P

Ranger is right, this program doesn't emulate the networking capabilities of games that already have networking support, but is meant for games with a single cabinet but multiple players.

etabeta
Reged: 08/25/04
Send PM

Re: ClientServerMAME 0.7c Released new [Re: ShimaPong]
#235490 - 10/04/10 07:33 AM

> I understand MAME team allows "playing" than "emulation" due to buy into these
> threads.

judging from your posts, you do not understand anything.

this is a derivative which does not break the MAME license in any way, and as such is perfectly legitimate...

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/15/07
Send PM

#236540 - 10/17/10 12:13 AM

Has anyone figured out how to get a game going online with Client Server MESS? I use the UI but I don't see a netplay option anywhere. Do we need to type command lines in Client Server MESS just like in CS MAME?

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3980