MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

DU Donations Drive: 3+ /edited 7X
#237507 - 10/27/10 09:15 PM

There are a few things I'm going after at the moment and I could use some help with them or else I might only be able to get 1 of the items. First is an 80's Taito game, it looks like an undumped region and it also has an MCU that is needed for decapping to perfect the emulation. Second is an undumped System 573 game, a mildly rare one that is not DDR based. Lastly is what appears to be an undumped version of VS. Super Mario Bros. but because some of the sets weren't labeled correctly when dumped years ago, all the early Nintendo revision purchases are a crapshoot, but I can go for it if some donations come in. There are other possibilities as well like an old Data East game that is needed for decapping, a Sega System 32 revision, plenty of other stuff actually, if the first 3 all work out and there's more money left over. I can mention the game names of the first 2 in private messages.

Thanks so far for donations and pledges from:

Paratech
F. Jérôme
Kevin Eshbach
Tormod
cacis
N. Garnier
Gerald (COY)
john666
gatt9
Charles MacDonald
Gnoppi

Edit: We won the Taito game for decapping and we won the VS. Super Mario Bros. set that should, if we are lucky, be the fabled undumped original 1985 version. Also some other bits and pieces that I'll announce when they arrive. We could still use lots of donations, there's no shortage of available undumped stuff at the moment.

Edit #2: Something really interesting showed up and judging from where the price already is, we won't have enough to win it. So we need more donations if anyone can send some. I can mention the game name in private messages. I realize everybody is probably already tapped out but I might as well try anyway. The auction ends soon.

Edit #3: We were outbid during the auction. I had a bid in last night and then woke up early this morning to see if there were any new donations so I could raise the bid again. There was one so I could have, but the seller ended the auction early as to not give us a chance to do it. We were bidding under a popular exporter ID so they obviously didn't like that very much. So the game will remain in Japan to bitrot in a collector's hands instead of being preserved.

Edit #4: We won the System 573 game.

Edit #5: We got a hard-to-come-by CPS1 board thanks to cacis.

Edit #6: We got an undumped rev of a Sega game, unless a past dumper labeled some roms incorrectly... We also got a weird old pcb, I'm not really sure the game genre but it's undumped.

Edit #7: We got some more hard to come by games, I can't really say any details about them yet other than we got some more stuff.

TheGuru
MAMEDev Dumper
Reged: 06/13/04
Loc: Dumpville
Send PM

Re: DU Donations Drive: 3+ /edited 3X new [Re: Smitdogg]
#237731 - 10/31/10 04:34 AM

> Edit #3: We were outbid during the auction. I had a bid in last night and then woke
> up early this morning to see if there were any new donations so I could raise the bid
> again. There was one so I could have, but the seller ended the auction early as to
> not give us a chance to do it. We were bidding under a popular exporter ID so they
> obviously didn't like that very much. So the game will remain in Japan to bitrot in a
> collector's hands instead of being preserved.

Celga sucks, you know that. still you use them and lose when I already have a proven contact in Japan.......
If you spread the work out a bit instead of trying to rule the skene yourself you might have more success.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: DU Donations Drive: 3+ /edited 3X new [Re: TheGuru]
#237732 - 10/31/10 05:06 AM

What a ridiculous thing to say, especially from you. They missed an e-mail about using an alt ID. If stuff I bought in Japan all got sent to you and was actually dumped and returned to me or immediately put up for sale then I wouldn't have a problem doing it that way, but you won't do that, let's face it. I'm not buying thousands of dollars in games to have them rot in your garage. I'm still waiting on you to return Truck K. etc. I've sent you probably 50 boxes over the past decade. You've sent me 1. And even your contact setup would be screwed after we got a few more items through him as his YJ ID would become "known" again to the idiot hoarding sellers in Japan as someone who supports MAME just like it did a few years ago when they stopped selling to him.

You know as well as I do that there is no clean way to get rare stuff from Japan over a period of time. It's the PCB War, not Barbie Land. As far as spreading work hmm let's see over the past few months we've got stuff from Japan bought by your contact, Celga, alien_mame, Tormod, Team Japump... That's just in Japan alone. Got any more bright ideas? Just go dump one of the dozens of games rotting in your garage, your comments are basically just trolling.

TheGuru
MAMEDev Dumper
Send PM

#237797 - 11/01/10 12:24 PM

> If stuff I bought in Japan all got sent to you and was actually
> dumped and returned to me or immediately put up for sale then I wouldn't have a
> problem doing it that way

There are 100's of people that have done it and I've acquired and dumped 1000's of games over that time and still to this day continue to spend most of my free time dumping stuff and/or working out stuff which is currently impossible to dump. Ignoring that fact just makes you look ignorant and disrespectful. There you go trying to rule the skene again....

In any case if you pay for it outright including shipping costs (and bank fees in Japan, no one accepts paypal, money must be transferred to a bank and withdrawn) the item can be shipped directly to you. I have no problem with that. However you can probably get the same arrangement from Team Japump also (if you haven't already cocked your leg and pissed on them as well).

> I'm still waiting on you to return Truck K. etc.

I'm waiting for some emulation. If RB confirms the dump is 100% good I'll send it back.

> I've sent you probably 50 boxes over the past decade. You've sent me 1.

You sent me boxes of mostly worthless crap. Anything that was worth anything is already sold. Over the past decade I probably sold 100's of PCBs and/or traded some of them for something else undumped. Items remaining are junk or dead or not re-assembled (thus dead) or emulation isn't happening so I'm holding it for now until dumps are confirmed (and I don't agree with your method of buying and selling and then having to re-buy if the dump turns out to be bad, that's totally unacceptable IMO).
There's no point paying hundreds of dollars to ship worthless crap to you. The fact that you can't get rid of some of your own worthless crap backs it up that no one wants to buy that junk once it's emulated. Having said that I will eventually send you more crap to sell but you will receive it when I'm ready and not before.

So relax you Dogg, go hump the furniture or your master's leg or something

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#237802 - 11/01/10 03:11 PM

> > If stuff I bought in Japan all got sent to you and was actually
> > dumped and returned to me or immediately put up for sale then I wouldn't have a
> > problem doing it that way
>
> There are 100's of people that have done it and I've acquired and dumped 1000's of
> games over that time and still to this day continue to spend most of my free time
> dumping stuff and/or working out stuff which is currently impossible to dump.
> Ignoring that fact just makes you look ignorant and disrespectful. There you go
> trying to rule the skene again....

I've sent thousands of dollars to other people to buy stuff which has ended up in their hands that they dumped. That doesn't sound like someone trying to rule everything to me. You have not. All the money you've sent went to buy stuff that was sent to you and most of it is probably still in your collection. Also, I send stuff to other people to work on. More people than I can even recall. If I wanted to "rule" and do everything myself then I'd be like you with your PGM collection ignoring people's requests to send it to people actively working on it. I don't care about being the person who dumps stuff, I care about the end result. You obviously don't agree or else you wouldn't know things about dumping that nobody else does, you'd share it publicly.

> In any case if you pay for it outright including shipping costs (and bank fees in
> Japan, no one accepts paypal, money must be transferred to a bank and withdrawn) the
> item can be shipped directly to you. I have no problem with that.

That's news to me, that's not what you said before. Anyway it would only save some fees though. Having not much money is the biggest problem.

> However you can
> probably get the same arrangement from Team Japump also (if you haven't already
> cocked your leg and pissed on them as well).

Nobody I know seem to have heard from them in a while but the last time it was brought up, they didn't seem very keen on the idea. For one thing, unless it's a clone or bought from a shop they usually want to hold onto games for long periods of time before dumping so as to not become known as MAME supporters. This is the main problem with buying through them.

> > I'm still waiting on you to return Truck K. etc.
>
> I'm waiting for some emulation. If RB confirms the dump is 100% good I'll send it
> back.
>
>
> > I've sent you probably 50 boxes over the past decade. You've sent me 1.
>
> You sent me boxes of mostly worthless crap.

You call anything "crap" unless it's made by your favorite arcade companies. The point is you suck at returning stuff and reselling. We had a good run for a few weeks a little while ago, that's it. Sometimes you just ignore e-mails about requests, it's really annoying.

> Anything that was worth anything is
> already sold. Over the past decade I probably sold 100's of PCBs and/or traded some
> of them for something else undumped. Items remaining are junk or dead or not
> re-assembled (thus dead) or emulation isn't happening so I'm holding it for now until
> dumps are confirmed (and I don't agree with your method of buying and selling and
> then having to re-buy if the dump turns out to be bad, that's totally unacceptable
> IMO).

Well you're out of your mind then, and we've never re-bought anything that I've sold (maybe you could dig up one example where we did, but even so, the huge amount of recycle funds I've produced and the boards they bought outweigh it by a long shot). I get stuff and usually dump it and get it back for sale within a few days and I think this is the best way to do it for most stuff. And I don't agree with your method of waiting until there's a working driver to dump stuff. You have undumped Naomi, Hikaru, Model 3, Namco System 10/11, I can't even keep up with it. In fact, you can't even keep up with it. That's why you've asked me on multiple occasions to go over your site for undumped stuff. If it was all funky SSOP70 stuff that is problematic then that would be one thing but it's not, there's tons of games where you've dumped their chip types before. Maybe System 10 is exempt and SSOP70, that's about it. There are literally dozens of games you have already that you can dump (forget reselling, just freaking dump).

Also, you sometimes will get stuff with my help and then change the whole agreement once the item arrives. Like Wyvern F-0 for example, I wouldn't have even raised money for it if I would have known you were going to withhold the dump for years, that wasn't what I agreed to, and Bygone could be dumped by a nutness monkey and you took over a month on it. Additionally, you've asked multiple times that only difficult stuff gets sent to you and that I take care of the easier stuff. Now I'm doing that and you want to troll about it. About this game we lost, too. Nobody would even know it existed if I hadn't found it. That goes for most of the other 10 game I've gotten in Japan recently too, all of which I won.

> There's no point paying hundreds of dollars to ship worthless crap to you. The fact
> that you can't get rid of some of your own worthless crap backs it up that no one
> wants to buy that junk once it's emulated. Having said that I will eventually send
> you more crap to sell but you will receive it when I'm ready and not before.
>
> So relax you Dogg, go hump the furniture or your master's leg or something

Whatever, get through your full dumping backlog other than stuff with problem roms and send me info about everything I've paid for or helped to pay for for reselling and then after that I'll start sending you stuff again other than games that have to come to you to dump (like SSOP70). Otherwise I don't see the point in making your backlog grow. The Celga fees aren't killing us and any ID we use regularly is going to become known. Your contact's probably already is (again) after those last 2. Those were about as high-profile-MAME as you can get.

TheGuru
MAMEDev Dumper
Send PM

#237840 - 11/02/10 10:32 AM

> You call anything "crap" unless it's made by your favorite arcade companies. Sometimes you just ignore e-mails about requests, it's really annoying.

most of your emails border on whinging or stupidity. for example... check this {huge} list and tell me if there's every chip listed that are found on arcade PCBs etc.

I don't think so.

I don't recall you being my employer and paying me a weekly wage.
Hmmm, let me check my recent wage packets.
Hmmm, nope. None from a Mr Dogg here. Sorry.

> You have undumped Naomi,Hikaru, Model 3, Namco System 10/11, I can't even keep up with it.

You can't keep up with it because you're not elite enough to be in The Club.
Unless you know specifics AFAIK I have nothing Model 3 or System 11 that needs dumping. I have 1 weird System 12 board but it won't work until someone adds the JVS stuff. System 10 maybe 1 board but its pointless until someone works on the emulation. There are already a dozen S10 games dumped and nothing is happening. I have nothing to do with emulation. Go whinge to the devs about that if you dare.
There's a couple of bullshit Namco NAOMI carts. One is dumped and no one has even made any attempt to emulate it. Any dev will tell you most of what is not emulated has serious issues with protection or weirdness that prevents progress.

as far as I see there's nothing important that needs dumping right now outside my usual dumping schedule (which believe it or not is progressing nicely). All devs know where to reach me and if a dev asks for something to be dumped I'll get onto it almost immediately.
My backlog is not as big as you think and what you think I have undumped may not nesessarily be undumped.
Dumped is one thing, emulated is another. I have no control over what is emulated.
I checked again and I still didn't find any weekly pay check from you for what I'm doing so I will take my time and do it right at my own pace and when I'm free to do so, thank you very much.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#237847 - 11/02/10 04:07 PM

> > You call anything "crap" unless it's made by your favorite arcade companies.
> Sometimes you just ignore e-mails about requests, it's really annoying.
>
> most of your emails border on whinging or stupidity. for example... check this {huge}
> list and tell me if there's every chip listed that are found on arcade PCBs etc.

Yes, you refuse to share info about common flash rom types used on arcade games (probably in a flashromref.txt you created) so I wanted you to at least copy paste their names into a support list and do a check for me. It wouldn't take you 5 minutes. But then, neither would dumping some of the games on your backlog.

> I don't think so.
>
> I don't recall you being my employer and paying me a weekly wage.
> Hmmm, let me check my recent wage packets.
> Hmmm, nope. None from a Mr Dogg here. Sorry.
>
>
> > You have undumped Naomi,Hikaru, Model 3, Namco System 10/11, I can't even keep up
> with it.
>
> You can't keep up with it because you're not elite enough to be in The Club.
> Unless you know specifics AFAIK I have nothing Model 3 or System 11 that needs
> dumping. I have 1 weird System 12 board but it won't work until someone adds the JVS
> stuff. System 10 maybe 1 board but its pointless until someone works on the
> emulation. There are already a dozen S10 games dumped and nothing is happening. I
> have nothing to do with emulation. Go whinge to the devs about that if you dare.
> There's a couple of bullshit Namco NAOMI carts. One is dumped and no one has even
> made any attempt to emulate it. Any dev will tell you most of what is not emulated
> has serious issues with protection or weirdness that prevents progress.
>
> as far as I see there's nothing important that needs dumping right now outside my
> usual dumping schedule (which believe it or not is progressing nicely). All devs know
> where to reach me and if a dev asks for something to be dumped I'll get onto it
> almost immediately.
> My backlog is not as big as you think and what you think I have undumped may not
> nesessarily be undumped.
> Dumped is one thing, emulated is another. I have no control over what is emulated.
> I checked again and I still didn't find any weekly pay check from you for what I'm
> doing so I will take my time and do it right at my own pace and when I'm free to do
> so, thank you very much.

You're going to do whatever you want, I know. And I'm just talking about dumping, not emulation. Acquisition mistakes can easily be made because of a lazy dumping schedule. Brave Firefighters was almost re-purchased a little while ago. If more things were dumped, there might be more attempts to emulate it, like with Hikaru certainly. Believe it or not, most people don't want to approach you to ask you to do stuff. Because you sometimes respond like you do here.

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

#237851 - 11/02/10 05:00 PM

>
> I'm waiting for some emulation. If RB confirms the dump is 100% good I'll send it
> back.

I think that Guru's idea of keeping the boards until they are confirmed to be properly dumped is a very good idea. It does make more sense to check it first, however I know that could take many months to do so, but it does save on costs.

Anyway, not wanting to be part of this argument, I'll keep quiet.

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: DU Donations Drive: 3+ /edited 3X new [Re: Naoki]
#237852 - 11/02/10 05:07 PM

With some games it's a good idea, with most it isn't. If you want to talk about a game that uses some SSOP70 type roms that require a custom adapter to dump and can't be verified with 100% certainty then you might want to hold onto the board for a while. Namco System 10 where we don't know if some of the roms are dumped correctly, might not want to sell. If you are talking about a game that uses all common eproms that any programmer can read and it's running perfectly in MAME then it's a total waste to not resell and get something else needed. You can't lump every pcb together. It's pretty simple math anyways. I've probably resold well over 100 boards. Name 1 that is needed again.

Naoki
Send PM

#237853 - 11/02/10 05:20 PM

I don't doubt you dump and sell method works, I know it does. I also know that holding onto a game that works in MAME is pointless, but for undumped games, even if they have a standerd EPROM, if they driver isn't fully working to tell you if the game has the correct hash, then I'd say keep hold of it.

----

By gods I've found it!

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#237854 - 11/02/10 05:23 PM

Maybe if you're dumping with a cheap programmer.

Naoki
Send PM

#237855 - 11/02/10 05:24 PM

Just bettr to be safe than sorry in my mind.

----

By gods I've found it!

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#237856 - 11/02/10 05:32 PM

That's why you'd want a good programmer with all the checks enabled and polish the legs and dump, reseat, reverify each rom 10 or so times in those cases and make sure you get the same CRC every time. That or let your paranoia waste other people's money.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#237862 - 11/02/10 09:56 PM

>
> back.

I believe the dump is good. I just don't believe it can be emulated.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#237863 - 11/02/10 10:02 PM

> I have 1 weird System 12 board but it won't work until someone adds the JVS
> stuff.

You mean Truck K, or is there some other System 12 dump out there that needs JVS? JVS is easy. Truck K is not possible.

> There's a couple of bullshit Namco NAOMI carts. One is dumped and no one has even
> made any attempt to emulate it.

Gun Survivor boots in Demul and Makaron. If your criteria for Naomi dumping is MAME compatibility, it's going to be a long haul.

gamerfan
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/01/10
Send PM

#237877 - 11/03/10 12:55 AM

There are a few more things need to be updated on the naomi page.

The Triforce DIMM Updater has been dumped and already in MAME as well.
http://maws.mameworld.info/maws/mamesrc/src/mame/drivers/triforce.c

One of the DU members has the Initial D Version 2 (Export Version) Handy and is dumping it. Please update that as well.

Atomiswave needs to be updated:
King of Fighters XI has been dumped by Cah4e3
Neo-Geo Battle Colliseum.

I agree that the sega model 3 page needs updated as well.

LA Machine Guns: R.O.T.M. <--- Dumped by ANY and in MAME
The Ocean Hunter <--- Dumped by ANY and in MAME
Spike Out BAD IC's 1-8 should be 64MBit <--- 0.134u3: Phil Bennett added correct 64M Mask CROM dumps (8MB) to Spikeout.

jonwil
Lurker
Reged: 10/06/03
Send PM

Re: DU Donations Drive: 3+ /edited 3X new [Re: R. Belmont]
#237878 - 11/03/10 01:02 AM

What makes this game harder to emulate than anything else?
Funky undumpable protection?
Weird graphics hardware?
Input devices that cant be mapped to anything resembling standard?

Naoki
Send PM

#237881 - 11/03/10 01:58 AM

Why is Truck K. impossible?

----

By gods I've found it!

ranger_lennier
Reged: 04/07/05
Send PM

#237888 - 11/03/10 04:04 AM

> That's why you'd want a good programmer with all the checks enabled and polish the
> legs and dump, reseat, reverify each rom 10 or so times in those cases and make sure
> you get the same CRC every time. That or let your paranoia waste other people's
> money.

Sure, there's some potential benefit to holding onto boards until they're completely emulated. But there's definite value to selling something and generating funds to buy more needed boards. It doesn't sound like it's been a big problem so far.

Of course, the other thing to keep in mind is cases where there's rare and unusual hardware, and a developer might want to run tests on it years down the road. But if that's not likely, and the dump is highly likely to be good, I say sell away.

TheGuru
MAMEDev Dumper
Send PM

#237894 - 11/03/10 09:24 AM

> With some games it's a good idea, with most it isn't. If you want to talk about a
> game that uses some SSOP70 type roms that require a custom adapter to dump and can't
> be verified with 100% certainty then you might want to hold onto the board for a
> while. Namco System 10 where we don't know if some of the roms are dumped correctly,
> might not want to sell. If you are talking about a game that uses all common eproms
> that any programmer can read and it's running perfectly in MAME then it's a total
> waste to not resell and get something else needed. You can't lump every pcb together.
> It's pretty simple math anyways. I've probably resold well over 100 boards. Name 1
> that is needed again.

in your case I agree. sell it all. its all simple shit, crap clones or gambling garbage. you're the clone king, errr Dogg.
most of the stuff I'm holding onto is not simple and I've already sold most of my simple stuff that's worth selling. There are still some items that can be sold but the majority of them need work to get them going. Real repair work has priority.

TheGuru
MAMEDev Dumper
Send PM

#237895 - 11/03/10 09:31 AM

> > I have 1 weird System 12 board but it won't work until someone adds the JVS
> > stuff.
>
> You mean Truck K, or is there some other System 12 dump out there that needs JVS? JVS
> is easy. Truck K is not possible.

no, its a weird game. Attack Pla-Rail. No idea what type of game it is but the small screen shot I've seen looks like some kind of kids redemption game. It doesn't boot up, just complains about JVS. I tried a Sega JVS I/O board and it did nothing so I don't know what it needs to get it booted and/or where it connects.
Its near the top of my To-Dump list so it'll come soon (the dumping part is easy).

>
> > There's a couple of bullshit Namco NAOMI carts. One is dumped and no one has even
> > made any attempt to emulate it.
>
> Gun Survivor boots in Demul and Makaron. If your criteria for Naomi dumping is MAME
> compatibility, it's going to be a long haul.

no, I don't care who emulates it as long as the dump is confirmed somewhere. If it works in Makaron/Demul that's fine by me. I wasn't aware of it until now.

However there are many items that are said to be dumped but are not available to MAMEDev and I don't check support lists of other emulators so if it's not at least listed in the MAME src then it's not dumped (several NAOMI titles come to mind right now..... ;-)

TheGuru
MAMEDev Dumper
Send PM

#237896 - 11/03/10 09:57 AM

> > list and tell me if there's every chip listed that are found on arcade PCBs etc.
>
> Yes, you refuse to share info about common flash rom types used on arcade games
> (probably in a flashromref.txt you created) so I wanted you to at least copy paste
> their names into a support list and do a check for me. It wouldn't take you 5
> minutes. But then, neither would dumping some of the games on your backlog.

it's too elitist for you to handle
there's nothing secret in my reference files. just research on the net and then you will know everything about flashroms. I don't see why I should study for 10 years then hand all of that info to someone just because they are too lazy to do some simple research.

Take another extreme example... you email a professional PCB Repair business and ask them in minute detail how to repair a Daytona PCB that has lost all 3D graphics. I bet that you won't get any answer at all, or only a response containing multiple 4-letter expletives.....
Or you have a problem with your car and take it to a mechanic. Instead of asking him to fix it you ask him to explain how to fix it because you're too cheap to pay him to do the work. Same response but with twice as many 4-letter expletives.

However having said that I'm not totally unsupportive. I've answered many of your technical questions over the years and I'll answer simple specific questions as long as they are, errr, simple specific questions.

> emulation. Acquisition mistakes can easily be made because of a lazy dumping
> schedule. Brave Firefighters was almost re-purchased a little while ago.

There's nothing lazy about my dumping schedule and re-purchasing already-secured items would be your fault entirely. you already know I keep an up-to-date online list of wanted and purchased items. If you cant be bothered to check it occasionally that's your problem not mine.

> If more things were dumped, there might be more attempts to emulate it, like with Hikaru
> certainly.

as far as I know Hikaru is being worked on but there are major issues with protection or weirdness. AFAIK it's basically 2 NAOMI 2's bolted together so I guess the power of that system doesn't help either when current PCs can't run it fast enough to do development work easily.

> Believe it or not, most people don't want to approach you to ask you to do
> stuff. Because you sometimes respond like you do here.

you're assuming a lot. when you assume you make an ASS out of U not ME.
I'm pretty sure I never told any dev to piss off when asked to dump something (after all that's why I'm here in the first place). I've dealt with almost all of them at one time or another and I usually go out of my way to keep them happy.
I tend to ignore non-dev types, whingers, a-holes, losers and time wasters etc.

Tingoes
Old game finder!
Reged: 10/03/05
Send PM

#237897 - 11/03/10 11:59 AM

I think you two should sit down and smoke the peace pipe.
I can understand the frustration of missing a rare PCB, but chances are that it will show up again.
Guru is right, if the game is not completely emulated or the quality of the dumps is unknown then the game should be kept and not sold.
I bought quite a few PCB's and sent them to Guru to get dumped and emulated, as well as some artwork.
All has been done.
I was very happy that the Slapfight PCB that I sent Guru was saved and not sold because it was impossible to dump at the time.
When the technology was available - a scanning electron microscope from Dr Decapitator. the CPU from my PCB was used to emulate the protection chip.
This took some time - I think it might have been more than five years from when I sent it till the chip was finally read.
I was happy when I suggested Smitdogg buy a hack which was cheap and this was added to MAME.
Its understandable that undumped PCB's are getting rarer to obtain, we have been very thorough in buying rare and undumped games.
Smitdogg, you have done a wonderful thing getting some accountability into the donations and is actively buying new PCB's for the project and requesting funds for donations and dumping some games, and this saves money in freight to Australia.
I dont think we should keep copies of the PCB's for longer than we should, but if the PCB is undumpable, or we dont know if the dump is good then it seems like common sense that we keep the board.
The amount of games that I bought because the original dump wasn't any good or there were issues with the game (colors, sound graphics) that needed the original PCB to check it or parts to read and fix.
We could sell something rare and have real trouble finding another to fix issues.
This sounds like we would be going back to the bad old days. There are plenty of partially dumped games that dont work or are not completely emulated in MAME because the board that they came from has been resold before the game was properly emulated.
Guru has the best equipment and skills, and I think he has the right attitude with regard to getting games properly emulated before selling the PCB.
Another member suggested some time ago that that games should not be sold if their sound was not completely emulated in MAME (surround sound), and I would agree with that. I can see the devs in the future wanting to write this functionality into the MAME emulator when everything else is stable and working.
The last thing we need is more infighting on these issues from the dumping team.
The thing is the value of the dumped PCB's would have to be worth more thab the cost of shipping twice to and from Australia for them to be worth sending.
They would also have to be completely dumped and completely emulated before sold for all possible issues present and future to become known, otherwise we would be repurchasing them at a later date.
There I have said my piece, can we just get on with the job of finding, buying, dumping and emulating the missing games and the ones with bad dumps, reads or known unknowns.
Cheers,
tingoes.
(I'll start buying more games when I finish this damn University degree.)
Meanwhile theres a couple of rare games and a hack that I wish were in MAME but aren't.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#237903 - 11/03/10 03:01 PM

> > > list and tell me if there's every chip listed that are found on arcade PCBs etc.
> >
> > Yes, you refuse to share info about common flash rom types used on arcade games
> > (probably in a flashromref.txt you created) so I wanted you to at least copy paste
> > their names into a support list and do a check for me. It wouldn't take you 5
> > minutes. But then, neither would dumping some of the games on your backlog.
>
> it's too elitist for you to handle
> there's nothing secret in my reference files. just research on the net and then you
> will know everything about flashroms. I don't see why I should study for 10 years
> then hand all of that info to someone just because they are too lazy to do some
> simple research.

Not worth replying to...

> Take another extreme example... you email a professional PCB Repair business and ask
> them in minute detail how to repair a Daytona PCB that has lost all 3D graphics. I
> bet that you won't get any answer at all, or only a response containing multiple
> 4-letter expletives.....
> Or you have a problem with your car and take it to a mechanic. Instead of asking him
> to fix it you ask him to explain how to fix it because you're too cheap to pay him to
> do the work. Same response but with twice as many 4-letter expletives.
>
> However having said that I'm not totally unsupportive. I've answered many of your
> technical questions over the years and I'll answer simple specific questions as long
> as they are, errr, simple specific questions.

You're wasting other dumpers' time by not having the info public. You want everybody to recreate the wheel. Nobody sees any logic in it but you. It doesn't matter if you type up what to your twisted reality is an analogy. Nobody agrees with you.

> > emulation. Acquisition mistakes can easily be made because of a lazy dumping
> > schedule. Brave Firefighters was almost re-purchased a little while ago.
>
> There's nothing lazy about my dumping schedule and re-purchasing already-secured
> items would be your fault entirely. you already know I keep an up-to-date online list
> of wanted and purchased items. If you cant be bothered to check it occasionally
> that's your problem not mine.

Yeah and we all know how updated your dump status lists have been recently.

> > If more things were dumped, there might be more attempts to emulate it, like with
> Hikaru
> > certainly.
>
> as far as I know Hikaru is being worked on but there are major issues with protection
> or weirdness. AFAIK it's basically 2 NAOMI 2's bolted together so I guess the power
> of that system doesn't help either when current PCs can't run it fast enough to do
> development work easily.
>
>
> > Believe it or not, most people don't want to approach you to ask you to do
> > stuff. Because you sometimes respond like you do here.
>
> you're assuming a lot. when you assume you make an ASS out of U not ME.
> I'm pretty sure I never told any dev to piss off when asked to dump something (after
> all that's why I'm here in the first place). I've dealt with almost all of them at
> one time or another and I usually go out of my way to keep them happy.
> I tend to ignore non-dev types, whingers, a-holes, losers and time wasters etc.

You're a non-dev type. You're a dumper who wound up on the wrong mailing list and you've been fucking up their rep ever since by writing sentences like that.

TheGuru
MAMEDev Dumper
Send PM

#237913 - 11/03/10 04:24 PM

> You're a dumper who wound up on the wrong mailing list and
> you've been fucking up their rep ever since by writing sentences like that.

haha. very amusing.
There's 2 things I live by..... never shit where you eat and don't bite the hand that feeds.
You just did both.
Good luck with your future research.

Game Over

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#237914 - 11/03/10 04:26 PM

> > You're a dumper who wound up on the wrong mailing list and
> > you've been fucking up their rep ever since by writing sentences like that.
>
> haha. very amusing.
> There's 2 things I live by..... never shit where you eat and don't bite the hand that
> feeds.
> good luck with your future research.

Do whatever you want. I'm not going to be your little public punching bag just because your buddy Alex quit the scene again and you're having trolling withdrawals.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: DU Donations Drive: 3+ /edited 3X new [Re: jonwil]
#237919 - 11/03/10 05:47 PM

I can only explain the problem to someone fluent in H8-series assembly language. Sorry.

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#237920 - 11/03/10 05:48 PM

> Why is Truck K. impossible?

http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...part=1&vc=1

rocko720
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/09/10
Send PM

#237948 - 11/03/10 10:43 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

This shit is TOOOOOOOOO funny.....losers.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: DU Donations Drive: 3+ /edited 3X new [Re: rocko720]
#237950 - 11/03/10 10:45 PM

Cool, thanks winner.

Olivier Galibert
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

#238055 - 11/04/10 10:36 PM

> Truck K is not possible.

EXPN?

OG.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 6927