View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

alca
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/22/09
Send PM

hornet question
#241161 - 12/14/10 03:32 PM

Is the security on this system only based on values stored in the time keeper ram (M48T58Y) ?

TheGuru
MAMEDev Dumper
Reged: 06/13/04
Loc: Dumpville
Send PM

Re: hornet question new [Re: alca]
#241320 - 12/16/10 11:38 AM

> Is the security on this system only based on values stored in the time keeper ram
> (M48T58Y) ?

There's more to it but it starts with the Timekeeper data, yes.
Why do you ask?

alca
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: hornet question new [Re: TheGuru]
#241322 - 12/16/10 12:02 PM

I have bought a nba play by play pcb and there is an odd modification to the time keeper (a lithium battery has been plugged on the top of it). So I want to know if the game will stop running if the battery runs out.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#241335 - 12/16/10 03:49 PM

> I have bought a nba play by play pcb and there is an odd modification to the time
> keeper (a lithium battery has been plugged on the top of it). So I want to know if
> the game will stop running if the battery runs out.

Yes.

TheGuru
MAMEDev Dumper
Reged: 06/13/04
Loc: Dumpville
Send PM

Re: hornet question new [Re: R. Belmont]
#241337 - 12/16/10 04:16 PM

> > I have bought a nba play by play pcb and there is an odd modification to the time
> > keeper (a lithium battery has been plugged on the top of it). So I want to know if
> > the game will stop running if the battery runs out.
>
> Yes.

hehe. sorry to be a smart ass but it wont stop.

The process isn't emulated so you may not know about it..... although if you check my readme's it is documented :-D

I have all of the (dumped) Hornet games here. All of them except Silent Scope and Silent Scope 2 have a tiny SOIC8 chip next to the Timekeeper chip (the position is unpopulated on those 2 games). This re-initializes the data if the battery dies. The only loss is the high scores on power-off and a slightly longer boot-up sequence to re-initialize the data. Unfortunately I don't know what type of chip it is but I suspect it's probably a secured EEPROM (X76F041?)

Even if the data in the Timekeeper is bad/corrupted it will work. If the Timekeeper is good but for a different game or region the special chip just writes the correct data for that game and it boots.

Silent Scope etc is a different beast because the special chip is not populated. It's a pain in the ass to get it to work once the Timekeeper dies. If you don't have the matching Timekeeper data to suit the main program ROM and the hardware revision it'll never work. Some versions of Silent Scope use the video boards from Silent Scope 2 and different Timekeeper data and vise versa for Silent Scope 2. Mismatched data will result in the dreaded 'Hardware 11P' error, then a reset.

Unfortunately all of the Silent Scope games will die if left unattended but the data can be backed up. However you have to be careful when backing up the Timekeeper chip as many EPROM programmers scramble the data and corrupt it, rendering the PCB unbootable.

I keep a special archive of NVRAM data for these games so I can repair them when they come along and I bought 100 Timekeeper chips (a special bulk deal) just for that purpose :-D

alca
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: hornet question new [Re: R. Belmont]
#241340 - 12/16/10 04:28 PM

that suck

alca
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: hornet question new [Re: TheGuru]
#241341 - 12/16/10 04:32 PM

Thank you for all the details. Your technical knowledge is *really* appreciated !

skforty
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/07/11
Send PM

#253890 - 05/07/11 11:06 AM

Sorry to bring this thread up again, but i just got tasked with resurrecting a silent scope.

so the hardware revision plays a role in it as well?

My main program rom is 830C01 (UAC), but there is no timekeeper data for this version floating around, so i tried changing the program rom to match the timekeeper data i DO have UAA so i matched it with 830A01, Tried with another pair i have as well...but to no avail, so maybe the problem i am having is the hardware revision?

Thanks again for the good info above, there doesnt seem to be much info around.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3653