MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Roman
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Send PM

MAME and Sandy....better wait
#245211 - 01/31/11 08:51 PM

If you think about buying a Sandybridge...better wait...core i 2000 got a hardware bug
http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/I...te-1181172.html (German text though)

CrapBoardSoftware
My real name is banned dickhead
Reged: 01/03/06
Loc: Wisconsin
Send PM

in english. new [Re: Roman]
#245225 - 01/31/11 10:19 PM

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/20326

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

Re: MAME and Sandy....better wait new [Re: Roman]
#245310 - 02/01/11 05:55 AM

> If you think about buying a Sandybridge...better wait...core i 2000 got a hardware
> bug
> http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/I...te-1181172.html
> (German text though)

The story of my life, I was about to buy a modest i5 2300 upgrade kit tomorrow. T_T

Things like this happen when I'm assembling a new PC. It's like when planning on assembling my PIII found out that day all memory RAM prices went to the roof.

Lord Nightmare
Speech Synth Berzerker
Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: PA, USA
Send PM

Re: MAME and Sandy....better wait new [Re: BIOS-D]
#245311 - 02/01/11 06:49 AM

> > If you think about buying a Sandybridge...better wait...core i 2000 got a hardware
> > bug
> >
> http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/I...te-1181172.html
> > (German text though)
>
> The story of my life, I was about to buy a modest i5 2300 upgrade kit tomorrow. T_T
>
> Things like this happen when I'm assembling a new PC. It's like when planning on
> assembling my PIII found out that day all memory RAM prices went to the roof.

What worries me is what will happen with the bad sandy bridge chips which will be pulled and which Mainboard makers have loads of right now. They may not all get returned to Intel for destruction, and may end up in the hands of unscrupulous sellers and hence in cheaper motherboards in the coming months. Intel definitely needs to poke a software readable revision counter of some sort on silicon up a stepping, so people can weed out the bad ones.

LN

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"

AamirM
Reged: 03/31/08
Send PM

Re: MAME and Sandy....better wait new [Re: Roman]
#245334 - 02/01/11 11:20 AM

It is a flaw in chipset, not the processor. Only the P67/H67 motherboards are affected. Processors are NOT affected.

The problem is in the SATAII controller ONLY, which has a chance of 5-15% of degrading performance depending on usage. It does NOT happen if you just use the SATAIII ports.

So, just use the SATAIII ports (which, for most users, are enough of them) for now and move to Z68 motherboard later. If you need more (SATAIII) ports, you can get a cheap PCI SATA controller card. It's a lot less hassle than returning your motherboard and waiting over a month for new fixed ones to arrive.

Homepage
Blog

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: MAME and Sandy....better wait new [Re: AamirM]
#245389 - 02/01/11 11:30 PM

> The problem is in the SATAII controller ONLY, which has a chance of 5-15% of
> degrading performance depending on usage. It does NOT happen if you just use the
> SATAIII ports.

Yup, and on boards with add-on SATA controllers (which is most of them) you can use the add-on ports safely as well. I have an SSD and HDD connected to the SATAIII ports and my DVD and Blu-ray burners connected to an add-on controller on my ASUS P8P67 Deluxe, so I'm perfectly safe pending the recall.

And I get 150% in-game in Gauntlet Legends in the meantime ;-)

John IV
IV/Play, MAME, MAMEUI
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Washington, USA
Send PM

Re: MAME and Sandy....better wait new [Re: R. Belmont]
#245397 - 02/02/11 12:20 AM

How goes the OC'ing efforts or are you still at stock?
Had a chance to run against my benches? I'm curious how it would do at the same clock (3.6).

john iv
http://www.mameui.info/

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: MAME and Sandy....better wait new [Re: John IV]
#245400 - 02/02/11 12:26 AM

> How goes the OC'ing efforts or are you still at stock?

ASUS's utilities and EFI BIOS have the awesome property of not actually telling you how fast you are running, but I think it's in the vicinity of 4.5 GHz.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#245402 - 02/02/11 12:43 AM

Can you just run CPU-Z on it?

AamirM
Reged: 03/31/08
Send PM

#245407 - 02/02/11 12:57 AM

> Yup, and on boards with add-on SATA controllers (which is most of them) you can use
> the add-on ports safely as well. I have an SSD and HDD connected to the SATAIII ports
> and my DVD and Blu-ray burners connected to an add-on controller on my ASUS P8P67
> Deluxe, so I'm perfectly safe pending the recall.
>
> And I get 150% in-game in Gauntlet Legends in the meantime ;-)

I ordered one of the cheaper boards (Biostar TP67B+) because it was on a deal and that I want to move to Z68 later on (because of QuickSync). Besides, I don't plan on using an SSD but even if I do, I'd move over the (B,C,D)DROM to SATAII port because that is hardly ever used so its failure rate should be very low.

Homepage
Blog

taz-nz
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/26/07
Send PM

Re: MAME and Sandy....better wait new [Re: Smitdogg]
#245433 - 02/02/11 07:43 AM

> Can you just run CPU-Z on it?

Yes & No, CPU-Z will only tell you what the current clock speed of the CPU. On the Sandybridge CPUs you overclock the turbo mode, so if there is no load on the CPU it will clock itself back to ~1.6ghz, put load on the CPU with CPU-Z open and you can see CPU crank up to what ever the overclock speed is.

It's kind of a nice feature, stops the CPU from being stress out unless it's under heavy load,and cuts down of the power usage.

If all else fails, Burn the manual.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: MAME and Sandy....better wait new [Re: taz-nz]
#245434 - 02/02/11 07:45 AM

But can't you just keep it running while running MAME in a window next to it?

taz-nz
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: MAME and Sandy....better wait new [Re: Smitdogg]
#245435 - 02/02/11 07:52 AM

> But can't you just keep it running while running MAME in a window next to it?

Yeah that should work, presuming your not running full screen.

taz-nz
MAME Fan
Send PM

#245436 - 02/02/11 07:56 AM

> > The problem is in the SATAII controller ONLY, which has a chance of 5-15% of
> > degrading performance depending on usage. It does NOT happen if you just use the
> > SATAIII ports.
>
> Yup, and on boards with add-on SATA controllers (which is most of them) you can use
> the add-on ports safely as well. I have an SSD and HDD connected to the SATAIII ports
> and my DVD and Blu-ray burners connected to an add-on controller on my ASUS P8P67
> Deluxe, so I'm perfectly safe pending the recall.
>
> And I get 150% in-game in Gauntlet Legends in the meantime ;-)

Can I ask what you get in game in Gradius4 ?

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: MAME and Sandy....better wait new [Re: taz-nz]
#245470 - 02/02/11 10:21 PM

> > Can you just run CPU-Z on it?
>
> Yes & No, CPU-Z will only tell you what the current clock speed of the CPU. On the
> Sandybridge CPUs you overclock the turbo mode, so if there is no load on the CPU it
> will clock itself back to ~1.6ghz, put load on the CPU with CPU-Z open and you can
> see CPU crank up to what ever the overclock speed is.

CPU-Z also isn't quite stable on Sandy yet. My brother has his around 4.6 GHz and CPU-Z tends to read random numbers north of 5 GHz, which we know isn't right.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 36 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2597