MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

a (Sega Mega Tech bug?) and 1 game name find
#246620 - 02/15/11 12:08 PM Attachment: MKramerRiverboatPokerbezel.JPG 378 KB (0 downloads)

There's a current Mega Tech cab auction for the week.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MEGA-TECH-SYSTEM-UPR...=item3cb4f4617a

A particular photo image with selection screen caught my attention.

Notice how the football name entry has extra letter "L" s trailing at the end. And then compare that to entry on MAWS.

http://maws.mameworld.info/maws/romset/mt_gfoot

I have never seen a cab in person before (at arcades etc.) nor the football mega tech cartridge on the selection menu screen. I don't know if that is how the behavior was back in 1980s/1990s when the game was in arcades at the time.

Does this mean that the emulation is off (not correct)? Or does it mean the hardware on the cab is not working properly?

=======

It appears that another M. Kramer Mfg Co., Inc. needs to be added to the want list.

Current M. Kramer Mfg Co. flyers of known games.

"Riverboat Poker" 1984 by M. Kramer Mfg Co. can be added to the list.

There are a couple supported sets listed at this time, but no idea if either is M.Kramer Manufacturing's Riverboat Poker.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-1984-Riverbo...=item43a4d0faca

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Re: a (Sega Mega Tech bug?) and 1 game name find new [Re: gregf]
#246624 - 02/15/11 04:35 PM

> There's a current Mega Tech cab auction for the week.
>
>
> A particular photo image with selection screen caught my attention.
>
>
>
> Notice how the football name entry has extra letter "L" s trailing at the end. And
> then compare that to entry on MAWS.
>
> http://maws.mameworld.info/maws/romset/mt_gfoot
>
>
>
>
> I have never seen a cab in person before (at arcades etc.) nor the football mega
> tech cartridge on the selection menu screen. I don't know if that is how the behavior
> was back in 1980s/1990s when the game was in arcades at the time.
>
> Does this mean that the emulation is off (not correct)? Or does it mean the hardware
> on the cab is not working properly?
>
>
> =======
>
>
> It appears that another M. Kramer Mfg Co., Inc. needs to be added to the want list.
>
> Current M. Kramer Mfg Co. flyers of known games.
>
> "Riverboat Poker" 1984 by M. Kramer Mfg Co. can be added to the list.
>
> There are a couple supported sets listed at this time, but no idea if either is
> M.Kramer Manufacturing's Riverboat Poker.
>

Maybe they got that guy from the old ABC Monday Night Football ads.

"Are you ready for some footballllllllllllllllllllllllll?!"

Fever
Reformed Sk3n3 Quitter
Loc: Britland
Send PM

#246663 - 02/15/11 08:25 PM

> There's a current Mega Tech cab auction for the week.
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/MEGA-TECH-SYSTEM-UPR...=item3cb4f4617a
>
> A particular photo image with selection screen caught my attention.
>
>
>
> Notice how the football name entry has extra letter "L" s trailing at the end. And
> then compare that to entry on MAWS.
>
> http://maws.mameworld.info/maws/romset/mt_gfoot
>
>

> I have never seen a cab in person before (at arcades etc.) nor the football mega
> tech cartridge on the selection menu screen. I don't know if that is how the behavior
> was back in 1980s/1990s when the game was in arcades at the time.
>
> Does this mean that the emulation is off (not correct)? Or does it mean the hardware
> on the cab is not working properly?
>
>

Seems like there could be all sorts of explanations - earlier, bugged revision of cart or 'BIOS' board, could be a bootleg cart, could be bitrot in the cart or board making it go funky, could be behaviour that only occurs if you put a game with a title ending in 'L' in the 7th slot, could be that the seller just needs to take the cart out, blow on it and put it back in again!

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: a (Sega Mega Tech bug?) new [Re: Foxhack]
#246689 - 02/15/11 11:11 PM

>Maybe they got that guy from the old ABC Monday Night Football ads. "Are you ready for some footballllllllllllllllllllllllll?!"

You're referring to country singer Hank WiLLLLLLLLLLiams Jr.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: a (Sega Mega Tech bug?) new [Re: Fever]
#246690 - 02/15/11 11:23 PM

>> I have never seen a cab in person before (at arcades etc.) nor the football mega
>> tech cartridge on the selection menu screen. I don't know if that is how the behavior
>> was back in 1980s/1990s when the game was in arcades at the time.
>
>> Does this mean that the emulation is off (not correct)? Or does it mean the hardware
>> on the cab is not working properly?

>Seems like there could be all sorts of explanations - earlier, bugged revision of cart
> or 'BIOS' board, could be a bootleg cart, could be bitrot in the cart or board making
> it go funky, could be behaviour that only occurs if you put a game with a title ending
> in 'L' in the 7th slot, could be that the seller just needs to take the cart out, blow
> on it and put it back in again!

It's one of those odd "possible bug" entries that would be ideal if it can be determined of what is exactly going on. It's like the old Gun Fight entry that turns out to be a BTANB entry and the Asteroids last place high score entry with 3rd letter truncation bug in which was eventually determined to also be a BTANB entry.

No idea if this Mega Tech football photo find will be added as a possible bug entry on MT. I am curious if it is an actual bug or just something not working properly with the seller's Mega Tech cab being auctioned.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#246925 - 02/18/11 05:37 PM

The extra Ls are almost certainly a sign that it's a hacked home cartridge.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: a (Sega Mega Tech bug?) new [Re: R. Belmont]
#247133 - 02/22/11 12:55 AM

>The extra Ls are almost certainly a sign that it's a hacked home cartridge.

Sounds good. I wasn't sure myself of what was going on when seeing that auction photo and the incorrect spelling on the menu screen.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3872