MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

jumpmaniac81
Donkey Kong Maniac
Reged: 10/13/10
Loc: N.J.
Send PM

3D arcade models question
#246775 - 02/17/11 06:42 AM

how are those models made.what program is used and is there a tutorial on creating them.

Edited by ladyshari83 (02/17/11 10:30 PM)

I’m convinced Mario is a hobo.
He wakes up everyday in the same clothes, runs around in sewers, and collects coins for a living.
At the end of the day, he uses the coins to buy mushrooms

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: 3D arcade models question new [Re: jumpmaniac81]
#246784 - 02/17/11 07:48 AM

> how are those models made.what program is used and is there a tutorial on creating
> them.AND YES MY WIFE WILL LET ME USE THE PC.

There's a variety of 3-D modeling software. Google SketchUp, (something called ) Metasequoia.... Those are free. There are others, (not free) like Autocad... That's all I know about & care to google for ATM.

I don't think you'd need a tutorial with SketchUp, but there are videos on Youtube, and it's pretty straightforward.. I guess. With something like Autocad you'd just need to be familiar with all the tools and commands.

ETA: This might be better suited for the Bin, since I don't see how it directly relates to MAME itself.

LEVEL-4

jumpmaniac81
Donkey Kong Maniac
Send PM

Re: 3D arcade models question new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#246799 - 02/17/11 04:06 PM

thank you tom.i wasnt sure if this was related to the bin or mame since its a mame frontend.

He wakes up everyday in the same clothes, runs around in sewers, and collects coins for a living.

abelenki
Super Drunk
Reged: 10/20/03
Loc: Perm, Russia
Send PM

#246812 - 02/17/11 07:43 PM

> AND YES MY WIFE WILL LET ME USE THE PC.

you know, writing in CAPS is not cool... really. you was already told about it.

MAME Stuff | MAME favorites | Bubble Bobble Series chart / wiki | PC configuration

CrapBoardSoftware
My real name is banned dickhead
Reged: 01/03/06
Loc: Wisconsin
Send PM

Re: 3D arcade models question new [Re: abelenki]
#246815 - 02/17/11 07:46 PM

> > AND YES MY WIFE WILL LET ME USE THE PC.
>
> you know, writing in CAPS is not cool... really. you was already told about it.

Second that. Besides, it's written "You were already told about it."

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

Re: 3D arcade models question new [Re: CrapBoardSoftware]
#246826 - 02/17/11 08:49 PM

> > > AND YES MY WIFE WILL LET ME USE THE PC.
> >
> > you know, writing in CAPS is not cool... really. you was already told about it.
>
> Second that. Besides, it's written "You were already told about it."

I didn't have a problem with it, as it wasn't exhorbitant use, and was intended as exclamation.

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

jumpmaniac81
Donkey Kong Maniac
Send PM

Re: 3D arcade models question new [Re: abelenki]
#246838 - 02/17/11 10:16 PM

ok ill write in gremlins then there changed it. happy.

Edited by ladyshari83 (02/17/11 10:35 PM)

jumpmaniac81
Donkey Kong Maniac
Send PM

Re: 3D arcade models question new [Re: CrapBoardSoftware]
#246839 - 02/17/11 10:19 PM

i like caps they give a point to interest to the forum.express youself.

Edited by ladyshari83 (02/17/11 10:34 PM)

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

#246890 - 02/18/11 07:25 AM

> i like caps they give a point to interest to the forum.express youself.

For the love of humanity. Please insert a double space after "full stops" (i.e. the period punctuation marks) at the end of sentences. *grumble, grumble* raised in a barn *grumble*

LEVEL-4

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Boston, Mass.
Send PM

#246911 - 02/18/11 02:30 PM

> Please insert a double space after "full stops"

I believe double space after full stop was the rule back in the typewriter days.

http://www.slate.com/id/2281146/

jumpmaniac81
Donkey Kong Maniac
Send PM

#246921 - 02/18/11 05:19 PM

you guys are crazy. thanks for the english lesson.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#246926 - 02/18/11 05:53 PM

> You guys are crazy. Thanks for the English lesson.

Who knows, next we'll have you capitalizing words at the beginning of sentences (and capitalizing proper nouns)!

- Stiletto

Bryan Ischo
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/28/10
Send PM

Re: 3D arcade models question new [Re: Stiletto]
#246939 - 02/18/11 08:31 PM

Totally off-topic, but I am fascinated by people who write like the O.P. of this topic. When I see postings that don't use spacing properly, or punctuation, or just have incongruous or otherwise nonsensible formatting, I try to imagine what it must be like to be such a person. This is not meant to be an insult, but I just can't understand how someone's brain works that writes stuff like that.

I say this because it's so far removed from how my own thinking works; it would be difficult for me to write a sentence without thinking hard about how it was going to look to the person reading it, and without rereading it and self-evaluating at every step of the way. It's like a reflex, I can't control it; it's just how my thinking process is and it would be uncomfortable to do things any other way.

What would it be like to just kind of spew stuff out without even noticing what it looked like, or without having a compulsion to consider for even one second the quality of the results? Or maybe to not even have a conception that there is a difference in quality between writing one way versus another? Like I said not trying to insult anyone, but it really fascinates me. When I'm drunk (which is not very often) I find that when I write it's hard to focus on getting all of the details right, and stuff just kind of slides out and I don't go back and double-check anything. So does that mean that in some way the mental process of someone who writes like ladyshari83 is akin to how I think when I am drunk?

And does that kind of thinking process translate to other parts of life? When ladyshari83 leaves the house for work in the morning, does he/she bump into stuff, knock it over, not even realize it, spill their coffee and not even see that it was spilled, etc, etc, leaving behind a disorganized mess without even knowing that they did so, or perhaps without even the mental concept that there is a difference between a messy room and a clean one?

I am honestly curious.

Sometimes I also think the same thing, in reverse, about code; like when I was evaluating poly.c in the MAME source, it's so deep and with such a fine crafty thought process behind it, I wonder if the authors of such code, when they read mine, feel like there is a simplemindedness behind it that I can't see. Whenever I meet really smart people I always wonder if I appear to them the same way that people who don't capitalize their sentences appear to me ...

Edited by Bryan Ischo (02/18/11 08:35 PM)

drewcifer
One bad Mutha-(shut yo' mouth!)
Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Sweden
Send PM

Re: 3D arcade models question new [Re: Bryan Ischo]
#246945 - 02/18/11 09:50 PM

Two of the most intensely creative and technical people I have worked with are abysmal spellers. Unbelievably bad. Like, spell "shader" differently each time they type it. But they can generate a computer graphics image using highly-technical tools much more quickly than anyone I've met.

I've also worked with a car designer (top of his class at Art Center, Pasadena) who could only use google image search instead of regular google search. All the words of the regular search results frustrated and confused him, whereas he knew exactly what to click if they were all pictures.

Everyone's brain is different. All that being said, some people are just weird.

Andrew

jumpmaniac81
Donkey Kong Maniac
Send PM

Re: 3D arcade models question new [Re: Bryan Ischo]
#246968 - 02/19/11 05:31 AM

did i mention i'm from k-pax.

jumpmaniac81
Donkey Kong Maniac
Send PM

#246969 - 02/19/11 05:33 AM

im here talking about arcade models and you guys are worried about my spelling.can anyone answer the real question or are you scared of it.

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

#246974 - 02/19/11 08:20 AM

> im here talking about arcade models and you guys are worried about my spelling.can
> anyone answer the real question or are you scared of it.

Have you even tried yet?

If you can find pics or technical drawings of views from at least 1 side (maybe 2), and the front - you can use these as a reference.

Import the pic/drawing into your 3D drawing program. You may want to consider the scale.. eh... I'll just leave that for you to figure out. Because when you get into making other models - they may not match up with the others you've made. So...

Trace the outline of one side, and you may need to thicken or extrude it to a certain thickness. Then rotate/turn this to where it's vertical.

Then proceed to make the front, top, inside panels, etc. These should be square/rectangular. Extrude and rotate all -in turn- and position them to their appropriate places.

If/When you have everything in place - you should be able to use some pics or artwork to apply as a skin/bitmap to the 3D faces.

Is this what you were wanting?

eta: A little tip. Anytime you have some symmetry in an object - try to just make half of it - then mirror or copy the objects needed.

Edit2: I know I gave you a general walkthrough, but certain details (like creating a 3D face or plain) would depend on the 3D modeling program.

Edited by T0M (02/19/11 08:41 AM)

jumpmaniac81
Donkey Kong Maniac
Send PM

#246994 - 02/19/11 06:28 PM

Thank You Tom. Finally some intelligent life.

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

#246999 - 02/19/11 07:12 PM

I might as well ask... What Front End is it (if you can say )? Would you be able to ask the author?

jumpmaniac81
Donkey Kong Maniac
Send PM

#247001 - 02/19/11 07:21 PM

Well in 3D MAME not all the models are there so i was just wondering if its possible to create new models or arcades but, since im a newbie i thought there was a program made by them to create new arcades and such.as a side project i wanted to recreate my hometown arcade.which closed down in 1996.

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: 3D arcade models question new [Re: Andrew]
#247087 - 02/21/11 05:27 AM

> > Please insert a double space after "full stops"
>
> I believe double space after full stop was the rule back in the typewriter days.
>
> http://www.slate.com/id/2281146/

Indeed. In HTML, when two or more space characters are used, only one appears unless someone uses non-breaking spaces [ ].

One interesting thing happens when product names are in lower-case. What happens when something like beatmania is used at the start of a sentence? In Melbourne, our public transport ticketing system is known as myki, which is becoming a replacement for obsolete Metcard tickets.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2203