MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

twistyAdministrator
Space Lord
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Donkey Kong's Top Players Set to Battle at 'The Kong-Off'
#248436 - 03/09/11 11:31 PM

http://www.examiner.com/arcade-game-in-d...at-the-kong-off

And...

Dean Saglio: Is He The Real King of Kong?

John IV
IV/Play, MAME, MAMEUI
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Washington, USA
Send PM

Re: Donkey Kong's Top Players Set to Battle at 'The Kong-Off' new [Re: twisty]
#248443 - 03/10/11 01:09 AM

Haha, very cool.

john iv
http://www.mameui.info/

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

Welp.... new [Re: twisty]
#248447 - 03/10/11 01:58 AM

MAME is often played with a keyboard, whereas classic arcade games are played with joysticks and buttons created from early 1980s technology.

Um, mame cab, anyone?

The screen is tilted differently and the ergonomics of playing standing up or seated on a barstool with no leg room contrast greatly with playing from your comfortable living room chair.

I call bullshit on this one. Is playing a (confirmed authentic) cocktail all that different an experience?

In any case, Saglio does have the highest score ever. And by such a margin that he has room to screw up, and still stomp everybody else. I'm keen to see how he performs.

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Welp.... new [Re: mogli]
#248470 - 03/10/11 06:01 AM

> MAME is often played with a keyboard, whereas classic arcade games are played with
> joysticks and buttons created from early 1980s technology.
>
> Um, mame cab, anyone?

The quote is from Saglio himself, I guess he doesn't use arcade controls? Although he'd be a fool not to practice with at least some kind of panel. Personally, I'd be getting my hands on a Nintendo joystick and an iPac.

> The screen is tilted differently and the ergonomics of playing standing up or seated
> on a barstool with no leg room contrast greatly with playing from your comfortable
> living room chair.
>
> I call bullshit on this one. Is playing a (confirmed authentic) cocktail all that
> different an experience?

I'd say a cocktail *is* kind of a big difference. I'm not a huge fan of the way you have to sit up and kind of lean forward a little to see. Now the difference between playing at home and on an actual cab in an arcade probably isn't enough to affect my scores significantly, but I don't play on anything resembling that level. I could see it being a factor.

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Welp.... new [Re: mogli]
#248512 - 03/10/11 05:03 PM

> MAME is often played with a keyboard, whereas classic arcade games are played with
> joysticks and buttons created from early 1980s technology.

Who the hell uses a keyboard for games in 2011, or 2001 for that matter? I can't even use a keyboard for the GTA (PC) series - I converted to a setup of PS2 style controller and mouse because keyboards simply suck ass when used as gaming devices (and the analog stick makes all the difference - compare riding a bike in Vice City or San Andreas; you can either tap the 'up' key 100 times a second so your character leans forward ever-so-slightly for maximum speed, or you can simply move the #1 analog stick to that perfect position whilst laughing at all the other ignorant 'PC-gamers' when they fail the unique jumps). Maybe these blog/magazine writers are still using 0.37 BETA 5 for DOS on their Pentium 2 400's in 256 color, 320x200 glory, but the rest of the world has moved on. Even Pac-Man needs better controls than a keyboard for efficient usage, and it doesn't even use buttons in-game (the only buttons being 1P and 2P start).

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

Re: Welp.... new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#248515 - 03/10/11 05:41 PM

You'd be surprised. I can still routinely do the Shun Goku Satsu in any of the Street Fighter titles on a keyboard.

A keyboard can be just fine for a significant segment of games, if you're used to using one. That's really the key point, as it goes for controllers too.

Edit: I do have an arcade stick and several pads, just in case you get the idea I'm keyboard only. I just like being able to play using any control scheme I run across-- sometimes I'm not able to get access to a real stick, like when I'm carrying a netbook that's about 1/3 the size of my stick.

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

#248540 - 03/10/11 09:48 PM

> Who the hell uses a keyboard for games in 2011, or 2001 for that matter?

I do

CrapBoardSoftware
My real name is banned dickhead
Reged: 01/03/06
Loc: Wisconsin
Send PM

#248542 - 03/10/11 10:07 PM

> Who the hell uses a keyboard for games in 2011, or 2001 for that matter

KB + Mouse ftw: Logitech game pads only for the occasional arcade-like games. FPS using pads? You kidding me!

I even have dedicated gaming keyboards. Those with Cherry MX red or black switches. Browns or white ALPS maybe. Blues for writing stuff.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Donkey Kong's Top Players Set to Battle at 'The Kong-Off' new [Re: twisty]
#248597 - 03/11/11 04:23 PM

> Dean Saglio: Is He The Real King of Kong?

Would be super cool if the MAME guy won Then we could declare Aaron's orange shirt more powerful than Billy Mitchell's mullet.

twistyAdministrator
Space Lord
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Donkey Kong's Top Players Set to Battle at 'The Kong-Off' new [Re: R. Belmont]
#248600 - 03/11/11 05:08 PM

> > Dean Saglio: Is He The Real King of Kong?
>
> Would be super cool if the MAME guy won Then we could declare Aaron's orange shirt
> more powerful than Billy Mitchell's mullet.

What I'm thinking is that the MAME guy should actually wear The Orange Shirt™ and blind his opponents

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

I use arcade controls.... new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#248627 - 03/12/11 12:35 AM

But, I have to admit that those who use keyboards for fighting games have a severe advantage.

Apparently Saglio *does* have a control panel. I independently came across this, recently. I don't know why he called it 'hank chien panel' (right at the end, he says he's going to send it out to Dean), but whatever.

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Welp.... new [Re: DMala]
#248628 - 03/12/11 12:38 AM

> The quote is from Saglio himself, I guess he doesn't use arcade controls? Although
> he'd be a fool not to practice with at least some kind of panel. Personally, I'd be
> getting my hands on a Nintendo joystick and an iPac.

See above response to Heihachi.

> I'd say a cocktail *is* kind of a big difference. I'm not a huge fan of the way you
> have to sit up and kind of lean forward a little to see. Now the difference between
> playing at home and on an actual cab in an arcade probably isn't enough to affect my
> scores significantly, but I don't play on anything resembling that level. I could see
> it being a factor.

I'm average height, and I have to slouch, or spread my legs, to be at a comfortable elevation relative to the screen on DK. Not so much on early 80s Williams cabs, but still. I love sitting down - ultimately at candy-type designs. All my rigs/cabs are sit-down.

The Culture

CptGuapo
Beat'em-ups Lover
Reged: 03/18/08
Loc: Off to Never Never Land
Send PM

Re: Welp.... new [Re: CrapBoardSoftware]
#248638 - 03/12/11 02:24 AM

> > Who the hell uses a keyboard for games in 2011, or 2001 for that matter
>
> KB + Mouse ftw: Logitech game pads only for the occasional arcade-like games. FPS
> using pads? You kidding me!
>
> I even have dedicated gaming keyboards. Those with Cherry MX red or black switches.
> Browns or white ALPS maybe. Blues for writing stuff.

I second that. I can't really imagine my FPSs played without the perfect combination of keyboard and mouse...And only on PCs! FPSs on consoles suck galactically...I have some of them on my consoles collection just for that purpose: collection. The playability is damn horrible with joysticks...

"Mythology is what grownups believe, folklore is what they tell children and religion is both."

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Welp.... new [Re: CptGuapo]
#248669 - 03/12/11 12:36 PM

> > > Who the hell uses a keyboard for games in 2011, or 2001 for that matter
> >
> > KB + Mouse ftw: Logitech game pads only for the occasional arcade-like games. FPS
> > using pads? You kidding me!
> >
> > I even have dedicated gaming keyboards. Those with Cherry MX red or black switches.
> > Browns or white ALPS maybe. Blues for writing stuff.
>
> I second that. I can't really imagine my FPSs played without the perfect combination
> of keyboard and mouse...And only on PCs! FPSs on consoles suck galactically...I have
> some of them on my consoles collection just for that purpose: collection. The
> playability is damn horrible with joysticks...

I haven't played a true FPS game since Quake 4. That may explain my above statement. I will admit that any precision (e.g. shooting) game that relies solely on an analog stick, or a D-Pad(!) will fail miserably in the usability aspect (ever played Operation Wolf on the Master System? The game allows you to either use the Light Phaser gun or a standard 2 button control pad; the latter being rather difficult to aim with). In GTA Vice City, the stage Phnom Penh '86 is much harder on the consoles than on PC due to aiming being via the analog stick (however, on PC I still use a controller+mouse setup, switching to mouse mode on the 3PS/FPS side, whilst using the left analog stick in place of WASD/udlr arrows).

I can't imagine trying to do Street Fighter supers on a keyboard though (as I mostly play fighters in MAME), or pressing out King's multi-throws in Tekken 2, of which one ends with all four attack buttons pressed simultaneously (this particular move,Standing Heel Hold -> Indian Death Lock -> King's Bridge, was simplified in Tekken 3 and later though). Wang's d/f+1+3+4 Whirlwind Toss throw would also be difficult on some keyboards without a single key bind for diagonals or multiple buttons. On this particular keyboard, I can't even hold Z+X+C at the same time (these are the default keys required to init the nvram in the Aristocrat MK4 slot games).

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2760