MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Toe-Knee
Reged: 09/21/03
Send PM

Re: HLSL MiniFAQ
#257938 - 06/29/11 07:44 PM

I don't get it because ever since HLSL has been in MAME the last couple of releases I can't get MAME to work at all. My system hangs and reboots when I start a game which is really annoying. I don't even know why because I'm not using HLSL and it's not even enabled in MAMEUI (32-bit) but it also causes a reboot. I know my video card sucks and it's not compatible but I figured I don't need to use HLSL. Am I missing something here?

I just tried to put mame in a separate directory with nothing else except to point it to my roms/chd/sample folder. It still reboots my system (Windows XP Pro) once I start a game. I don't understand why and I'm out of ideas

Edited by Toe-Knee (06/20/11 07:56 PM)

Mozii
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/27/11
Send PM

Re: HLSL MiniFAQ new [Re: Toe-Knee]
#257966 - 06/20/11 11:33 PM

> I don't get it because ever since HLSL has been in MAME the last couple of releases I
> can't get MAME to work at all. My system hangs and reboots when I start a game which
> is really annoying. I don't even know why because I'm not using HLSL and it's not
> even enabled in MAMEUI (32-bit) but it also causes a reboot. I know my video card
> sucks and it's not compatible but I figured I don't need to use HLSL. Am I missing
> something here?
>
> I just tried to put mame in a separate directory with nothing else except to point it
> to my roms/chd/sample folder. It still reboots my system (Windows XP Pro) once I
> start a game. I don't understand why and I'm out of ideas

I had a similar problem where HLSL caused MAME to crash if I raised prescaling to high and ran it full screen. Didn't reboot the whole OS though, thats strange. Are you sure you don't have HLSL enabled in either MAMEUI or in Mame.ini? See if lowering some settings and disabling HLSL (if its actually on) helps.

Really crossing my fingers that by MAME 143, a stable version of HLSL will be implemented.

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

Re: HLSL MiniFAQ new [Re: Mozii]
#257968 - 06/20/11 11:44 PM

A straight reboot often implies a bluescreen in modern Windows, and video card drivers are VERY frequently the cause on this sort of thing.

I'd say to use -verbose, but I'm not sure if there's any logging on MAMEUI.

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

Toe-Knee
Send PM

Re: HLSL MiniFAQ new [Re: Firehawke]
#257969 - 06/20/11 11:57 PM

> A straight reboot often implies a bluescreen in modern Windows, and video card
> drivers are VERY frequently the cause on this sort of thing.
>
> I'd say to use -verbose, but I'm not sure if there's any logging on MAMEUI.

It could be my videocard drivers because my Radeon fried and I'm using the motherboard's crappy integrated Nvidia one for now. It's weird though because it works great with everything except MAME. I changed no settings since HLSL came into play so I'm stumped. It's disabled in MAMEUI. I even tried regular MAME and MAME32 Plus and they all crash my OS

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#258003 - 06/21/11 06:28 AM

> It could be my videocard drivers because my Radeon fried and I'm using the
> motherboard's crappy integrated Nvidia one for now. It's weird though because it
> works great with everything except MAME. I changed no settings since HLSL came into
> play so I'm stumped. It's disabled in MAMEUI. I even tried regular MAME and MAME32
> Plus and they all crash my OS

I read another post recently about MAME crashing with the latest Nvidia drivers. I believe the person had to go back a version or two in order to get a stable MAME setup. Give it a try and see if it helps.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

Toe-Knee
Send PM

Re: HLSL MiniFAQ new [Re: krick]
#258016 - 06/21/11 12:58 PM

> I read another post recently about MAME crashing with the latest Nvidia drivers. I
> believe the person had to go back a version or two in order to get a stable MAME
> setup. Give it a try and see if it helps.

Ok thanks, I'll see if that helps

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#258027 - 06/21/11 05:57 PM

I have been using 275.50 without any problems at all.
I've never had MAME/MESS reboot my PC ever actaully.

I would probably assume the problem is with some faulty hardware or something borked with the O/S

If it were me I would format and reinstall the O/S then if problems persist, start replacing hardware one at a time.

Toe-Knee
Send PM

Re: HLSL MiniFAQ new [Re: B2K24]
#258051 - 06/21/11 11:35 PM

> I have been using 275.50 without any problems at all.
> I've never had MAME/MESS reboot my PC ever actaully.
>
> I would probably assume the problem is with some faulty hardware or something borked
> with the O/S
>
> If it were me I would format and reinstall the O/S then if problems persist, start
> replacing hardware one at a time.

I doubt it's hardware related at all. I mentioned that it only started happening when MAME started implementing HLSL. I have never had this happen in the past and every single application I use is still fine. Only MAME crashes my OS, nothing else. Anyway I haven't tried anything yet so I dunno. If I use an older version of MAME before HLSL it's fine. I don't know what to try anymore but I may reinstall XP when I get a chance to see if it fixes the problem.

You know what, I just tried an older version of MAME and my system rebooted again so you're probably right! I will reinstall XP first but if that doesn't fix it I guess I'll have to see what's causing this. This sucks

Edited by Toe-Knee (06/21/11 11:44 PM)

B2K24
Send PM

#258058 - 06/22/11 01:10 AM

Reinstall the O/S and see what that result is. Then you stated that your Radeon fried, so that's probably the culprit of your issues. Might wanna replace the GFX card if you have cash you can dedicate for that.

Toe-Knee
Send PM

#258060 - 06/22/11 02:21 AM

> Reinstall the O/S and see what that result is. Then you stated that your Radeon
> fried, so that's probably the culprit of your issues. Might wanna replace the GFX
> card if you have cash you can dedicate for that.

Yeah I should have time Friday to reinstall the OS. Hopefully that solves the problem because when my Radeon fried over a month ago I could still use MAME with the onboard one. I'll let you know what happens when I get part 1 done

etabeta
Reged: 08/25/04
Send PM

#258085 - 06/22/11 10:57 AM

> I doubt it's hardware related at all. I mentioned that it only started happening when
> MAME started implementing HLSL.

well, before of that MAME was not doing anything fancy with your video card, so it would have never triggered any video driver issue

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#258108 - 06/22/11 07:49 PM

> I have been using 275.50 without any problems at all.

Depends on the generation of card. Pre-G80 (GeForce 8xxx) cards all seem to crash in MAME (even old versions with no HLSL) on recent NV drivers. G80+ and Fermi cards (4xx/5xx) seem to be fine.

Toe-Knee
Send PM

Re: HLSL MiniFAQ new [Re: R. Belmont]
#258122 - 06/22/11 11:16 PM

> > I have been using 275.50 without any problems at all.
>
> Depends on the generation of card. Pre-G80 (GeForce 8xxx) cards all seem to crash in
> MAME (even old versions with no HLSL) on recent NV drivers. G80+ and Fermi cards
> (4xx/5xx) seem to be fine.

Ah ok I have a pre G80 (GF 6150 integrated to be exact), so if I get an older set of drivers do you think that could fix it?

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

#258123 - 06/22/11 11:26 PM

> > > I have been using 275.50 without any problems at all.
> >
> > Depends on the generation of card. Pre-G80 (GeForce 8xxx) cards all seem to crash
> in
> > MAME (even old versions with no HLSL) on recent NV drivers. G80+ and Fermi cards
> > (4xx/5xx) seem to be fine.
>
> Ah ok I have a pre G80 (GF 6150 integrated to be exact), so if I get an older set of
> drivers do you think that could fix it?

I had BSOD issues with my on-board GeForce 6100... so, yeah - use something from late 2009 - early 2010 to be safe.
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

Toe-Knee
Send PM

Re: HLSL MiniFAQ new [Re: Tafoid]
#258124 - 06/22/11 11:28 PM

> I had BSOD issues with my on-board GeForce 6100... so, yeah - use something from late
> 2009 - early 2010 to be safe.
> http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

Thanks! I'll give it a shot

Yup this worked! Thanks, I can use MAME again

Edited by Toe-Knee (06/23/11 12:15 AM)

B2K24
Send PM

#258128 - 06/23/11 01:14 AM

Awesome that you solved the problem without even reinstalling the O/S or buying anything.

Great work on that guys

Have fun with MAME

Toe-Knee
Send PM

#258137 - 06/23/11 05:12 AM

> Awesome that you solved the problem without even reinstalling the O/S or buying
> anything.
>
> Great work on that guys
>
> Have fun with MAME

Hehe thanks! That's why I love the fact others could have had a similar situation which is exactly what happened here. Took me 5 minutes to reinstall older drivers, reboot and test MAME and it works again

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#259793 - 07/13/11 03:07 AM

While we are on the subject of working games going tits up, why there was a move to HLSL in Mame? How is it going to improve my Dkong experience?

Why known working games now fail/do not work and it is a real bitch to compile.

All I can see, is the marginal improvement on the display. Or is this something for future 'archiving' of games that support this facility in some marvelous way via some GPU card that costs $55 in ten years time?

Reznor007
Semi-Lurker
Loc: Norman, OK, USA
Send PM

Re: HLSL MiniFAQ new [Re: ]
#259795 - 07/13/11 03:20 AM

It makes it look more like a real CRT. That's all it does.

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Send PM

#259825 - 07/13/11 06:41 AM

It's a semi-open-source project. Someone NEW to the team decided to contribute to that portion of the project. This line of questioning is akin to asking "Why are you playing videogames instead of working to stop HIV or spread world peace?"

---

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: HLSL MiniFAQ new [Re: Reznor007]
#259837 - 07/13/11 11:07 AM

> It makes it look more like a real CRT. That's all it does.

Well didn't Aaron invoke some sort of image file that made the display have a burned in CRT look? You can add scan lines in Mame, and besides many people (myself included) use old LCD panels for their cabs and arcade setups.

Does HLSL benefit games that have higher requirements to display on modern PCs? Or is it just a novelty?

I would be nice if the project coordinator (I'm happy to learn and assist in my limited capacity) had a team that went back and fixed all the problems with the older drivers, which would be more project orientated rather than encourage project creep.

IMO

etabeta
Reged: 08/25/04
Send PM

#259842 - 07/13/11 12:32 PM

put "hsls 0" in your mame.ini and mame will run *identically* like it was before HLSL addition (the new code does not get called while the program is running in that case)

so there is no loss at your end if you don't care about HLSL

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Send PM

#259843 - 07/13/11 12:37 PM

1. The scanline support in MAME (as compared to the HLSL shaders) is somewhat inaccurate in that most monitors don't really have outright black lines so much as darkened.

2. HLSL does everything the old system does but offloads 100% to the GPU. As HLSL-compatible cards are going to be more and more common from here on out (all modern cards will support it) there's no reason NOT to offload to the GPU to spare CPU cycles. HLSL is more accurate on even older LCD displays-- 1280x1024 and 1360x768 show significant improvement if you've got even a decent video card.

3. It's not feature creep when it's making an existing feature more accurate-- there IS no comparison, the new HLSL shaders look and act more accurate than the old system-- *AND* it allows for the MESS project to emulate certain kinds of video signal quirks correctly that the older system simply COULD NOT handle.

4. It's been said time and time again, and I'm going to repeat this for the eight millionth time this week: The MAME development team works on whatever part they want to work on. They have no responsibility to you, me, or anyone else. If you want to work on older drivers, feel free to step in and work on them. Submissions of decent code are perfectly welcome-- that's how the HLSL shaders got added, after all.

---

Reznor007
Semi-Lurker
Loc: Norman, OK, USA
Send PM

#259844 - 07/13/11 12:43 PM

Yes, there was already an effects system in MAME, but it isn't as high quality, and requires CPU time. HLSL doesn't effect your CPU at all, and renders a complicated post processing effect on your video card only.

People work on what they want to work on. Remember, this is completely free software, and the devs receive no compensation for the hours of work they put in.

[_DefToneR_]
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/15/11
Send PM

Re: HLSL MiniFAQ new [Re: Reznor007]
#259984 - 07/15/11 02:38 AM

Hello there people!

I Just create an user here to tell my experience.

I´m making a cabinet machine for mame (some photos here http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150243316537669.330192.677037668&l=db0c4bb8de)

I got this same problem, when I open any game the machine instant restart.

But here is the thing, I got 2 tvout-video boards one 5200FX and the other 6200LE.

With the 5200 everything is just fine!! but When I put the 6200 the pc restart... the two video boards use diferent nvidia driver...

the 5200 use a "legacy" driver, and software too (is not the same nvidia control panel)

So when I see this post everything agrees

I donwloaded an old 6200 drivers and is working!!!

Thanks to you guys!!!!

BTW: if you need or want to use the lastest driver or any reason, you can configure mame (default game option) to use "DirectDraw" instead of "Direct3D"

The most games will work ok, some will go slow.

Edited by [_DefToneR_] (07/15/11 02:40 AM)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 4234