Pages: 1

excaliburlives
Game Junkie
Reged: 04/11/04
Loc: MA.
Send PM

Pinball help
#261508 - 08/05/11 03:33 PM

Anyone where i can get help for pinball machines?

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: Pinball help new [Re: excaliburlives]
#261511 - 08/05/11 04:10 PM

> Anyone where i can get help for pinball machines?

Only if you post some details...

jibmums
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/24/09
Send PM

#261530 - 08/05/11 07:55 PM

If you need help with a real machine, try the KLOV forums pinball section:
http://forums.arcade-museum.com/

If you need help with an emulated pinball table, try the VP forums:
http://www.vpforums.org/

excaliburlives
Game Junkie
Send PM

Re: Pinball help new [Re: italie]
#261534 - 08/05/11 09:33 PM

Well i built a mame machine for myself and just needed a pinball machine to complete my happiness. I bought a used "close encounters of the third kind" that's semi-working. It lights up and everything but the score board is blank. I was told it might be the MPU Board. I just want to know if i could repair this myself or have it redone or maybe get a replacement board. Where bcould i go to get this kind of help or parts cheap?

Edited by excaliburlives (08/05/11 09:34 PM)

italieAdministrator
Send PM

#261536 - 08/05/11 10:01 PM

> Well i built a mame machine for myself and just needed a pinball machine to complete
> my happiness. I bought a used "close encounters of the third kind" that's
> semi-working. It lights up and everything but the score board is blank. I was told it
> might be the MPU Board. I just want to know if i could repair this myself or have it
> redone or maybe get a replacement board. Where bcould i go to get this kind of help
> or parts cheap?

Excellent site for Gottlieb System 1 info:

http://tuukan.fliput.net/sys1_en.html

Below is a quote that should pertain to your issue.

Quote:

Displays do not work.

If all displays are totally blank, you probably have a power supply failure or short somewhere. First check the 1/4 A fuse on cabinet bottom board. If it is open, do not replace with a bigger fuse! There is a problem somewhere.

The player score displays operate on 60 V, and the smaller credit/ball in play display uses 42 V. If the 60 V is bad missing then also the 42 V will be bad. First check that the voltages are correct at the power supply P3 connector (pin 5 is ground, pin 1 is 60 V, pin 3 is 42 V) with the cable removed. A bad display module can bring the voltage down, so if the power supply looks good with P3 cable off, try unplugging one display at a time and see which is the bad one. Remember to turn power off before plugging or unplugging any connector!

If the displays light up, but show incorrect numbers or are partly blank, again try unplugging one display at a time to find out if any display has shorts. The problem may also be in CPU board. 7-segment decoders Z16 and Z17 supply the segment data to the displays. Player score displays have an extra vertical segment in the middle of each digit, to show "1" properly centered. Gates Z13-Z15 are used to detect the number 1 and disable the decoder while feeding the extra segment. Credit display does not have the extra segment. Gates Z18-Z21 drive the display digits. If one ore more digits are always blank, suspect these chips.

excaliburlives
Game Junkie
Send PM

#261541 - 08/05/11 10:42 PM Attachment: IMG_0317.JPG 1127 KB (1 downloads)

Thanx for the fast reply. I'm going to take a look on that site but it looks like my board might have battery damage. I dont think i should try and fix it myself.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

italieAdministrator
Send PM

#261558 - 08/06/11 01:11 AM

> Thanx for the fast reply. I'm going to take a look on that site but it looks like my
> board might have battery damage. I dont think i should try and fix it myself.

Board looks pretty good from that angle...I've seen worse.

You could always buy a refurb board off ebay, but it will run you $160-$200. They may give you a discount if you trade in your old board. Swap roms and you're all set.

If you don't care about "stock", the ni-wumpf boards are great. I've used them before.

http://www.ni-wumpf.com/System1CPU.html

excaliburlives
Game Junkie
Send PM

#261559 - 08/06/11 01:16 AM

I already checked ebay, nothing. I need to find someone who can repair these things.

italieAdministrator
Send PM

#261560 - 08/06/11 01:27 AM

> I already checked ebay, nothing. I need to find someone who can repair these things.

Look harder:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gottlieb-System-1-MP...02#ht_782wt_905

...and again, these are direct replacements that rock:

http://www.ni-wumpf.com/System1CPU.html

excaliburlives
Game Junkie
Send PM

#261562 - 08/06/11 01:52 AM

You know what, i did see that board but it came without the rom chips. I'm afraid to try and swap them out. The other site looks like it has the better board.Is it difficult to replace the roms? I've done on my Mortal Konbat 2 board but never messed with pinball before.

italieAdministrator
Send PM

#261572 - 08/06/11 04:14 AM

> You know what, i did see that board but it came without the rom chips. I'm afraid to
> try and swap them out. The other site looks like it has the better board. Is it
> difficult to replace the roms? I've done on my Mortal Konbat 2 board but never messed
> with pinball before.

If you've ever successfully played with Legos, you can probably handle ROM swapping. Take your old boards ROMs and put them in the new board. Take a small, flat head screwdriver and gently lift each side. Alternate sides and pry each a little bit at a time. When the ROM is loose, pick it up. Line up the pins with the new boards socket, and push down gently. Same procedure as your Mortal Kombat.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3151