MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Xenphor
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/08/11
Send PM

What are the ideal settings of TripleBuffer/SynctoMonitorRefresh/Waitfo rVsync/RefreshSpeed ?
#261783 - 08/08/11 10:30 PM

I've experimented quite a bit between all of these settings which appear to do a lot of similar things. My main goal is to get a smooth image without tearing and a minimal amount of lag - basically as close to the arcade as possible.

My setup consists of my laptop on an LCD monitor. The native resolution and refresh rate are 1280x800@60hz. I also have a CRT and another LCD monitor with a native res of 1280x1024@75hz. So far, it seems that having a refresh rate of 60hz is the best for attaining a smooth quality image.

Now, as far as the options go, I try to stay as close to the arcade as possible. I use DirectDraw with no hardware stretch and set the Screen to pixelaspect, switching resolutions to fit. With these settings, I find I can attain a good image with square pixels.

Unfortunately, I still have not been able to get a perfectly smooth image. Sometimes, I still get hiccups here and there or slight stutters. I normally have always left Triple Buffering on because I know it can help with tearing. On the other hand, Wait for Vsync and Sync to Monitor Refresh both seem very similar so I'm not sure which one to use. I have, however, enabled Refresh Rate because I read that it tries to accurately reproduce the refresh rate of the game itself.

What I want to know is, what is the best combination of options to attain a smooth image? Something that has no tearing, stuttering, or hiccups that mimics the arcade as close as possible.

Edited by Xenphor (08/08/11 10:34 PM)

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: What are the ideal settings of TripleBuffer/SynctoMonitorRefresh/Waitfo rVsync/RefreshSpeed ? new [Re: Xenphor]
#261885 - 08/10/11 12:22 PM

> I've experimented quite a bit between all of these settings which appear to do a lot
> of similar things. My main goal is to get a smooth image without tearing and a
> minimal amount of lag - basically as close to the arcade as possible.
>
> My setup consists of my laptop on an LCD monitor. The native resolution and refresh
> rate are 1280x800@60hz. I also have a CRT and another LCD monitor with a native res
> of 1280x1024@75hz. So far, it seems that having a refresh rate of 60hz is the best
> for attaining a smooth quality image.
>
> Now, as far as the options go, I try to stay as close to the arcade as possible. I
> use DirectDraw with no hardware stretch and set the Screen to pixelaspect, switching
> resolutions to fit. With these settings, I find I can attain a good image with square
> pixels.
>
> Unfortunately, I still have not been able to get a perfectly smooth image. Sometimes,
> I still get hiccups here and there or slight stutters. I normally have always left
> Triple Buffering on because I know it can help with tearing. On the other hand, Wait
> for Vsync and Sync to Monitor Refresh both seem very similar so I'm not sure which
> one to use. I have, however, enabled Refresh Rate because I read that it tries to
> accurately reproduce the refresh rate of the game itself.
>
> What I want to know is, what is the best combination of options to attain a smooth
> image? Something that has no tearing, stuttering, or hiccups that mimics the arcade
> as close as possible.

The problem is, a lot of arcade games use different frequency ranges, so it will always be difficult to find that perfect refresh rate; I think LCD monitors are even harder to sync to an arbitrary refresh rate, as they don't 'roll' like a CRT does every frame.

Xenphor
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: What are the ideal settings of TripleBuffer/SynctoMonitorRefresh/Waitfo rVsync/RefreshSpeed ? new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#261929 - 08/11/11 12:38 AM

I'm somewhat aware of the refresh rate problem, although it seemed like the option "Refresh Speed" was supposed to help with adjusting to the refresh rate of each individual game. Still, that problem aside, what would be the ideal combination of options that would allow for the smoothest possible image?

Edited by Xenphor (08/11/11 02:43 AM)

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: What are the ideal settings of TripleBuffer/SynctoMonitorRefresh/Waitfo rVsync/RefreshSpeed ? new [Re: Xenphor]
#261953 - 08/11/11 09:14 AM

> I'm somewhat aware of the refresh rate problem, although it seemed like the option
> "Refresh Speed" was supposed to help with adjusting to the refresh rate of each
> individual game. Still, that problem aside, what would be the ideal combination of
> options that would allow for the smoothest possible image?

I haven't played with the settings for many years unfortunately, so I don't know if they still work in the same way. Back with MAME 0.89 in 2004, I used to just use vsync and triple buffering which looked fine with most games, but this was on a CRT monitor at 75Hz, and in DirectDraw mode with the 'classic' MAME scanlines (the simple black lines, no RGB style filter). A *lot* has changed since then.

yaggy
Coin-op fixer
Reged: 01/23/05
Loc: Philadelphia
Send PM

#261981 - 08/11/11 05:45 PM

> what would be the ideal combination of
> options that would allow for the smoothest possible image?

My arcade cabinet & monitor are set for VSYNC with Auto Frame Skip also enabled. Seem illogical? Well, this yields smooth scrolling on all my vertical shooters, rally bike, motorace, etc... they all look perfect. Because the monitor and the actual game will butt heads at times over sync/refresh, you must allow it to drop an occasional frame, otherwise you will get a stutter with sound glitch.

I had tried everything because I was obsessed with video (and sound) perfection. This was how I achieved it!

RetroRepair
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/21/09
Send PM

Re: What are the ideal settings of TripleBuffer/SynctoMonitorRefresh/Waitfo rVsync/RefreshSpeed ? new [Re: yaggy]
#262053 - 08/12/11 03:54 PM

If you are running a MAME on a cab you can't go wrong with an ATI card and groovymame. It syncs to all the correct refresh rates so you don't even need vsync/tripplebuffer etc which also frees up valuable cycles.

Changes resolution correctly in game for the PSX titles too.

Just be sure to pickup the CRT_EmuDriver Catalyst for ATI Radeons for best results.

Edited by RetroRepair (08/12/11 03:56 PM)

http://www.youtube.com/retrorepair

Xenphor
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: What are the ideal settings of TripleBuffer/SynctoMonitorRefresh/Waitfo rVsync/RefreshSpeed ? new [Re: RetroRepair]
#262089 - 08/12/11 11:47 PM

Unfortunately I have neither an ATI card nor a cab. I do have a NEC multisync CRT monitor and a laptop with intel integrated graphics. I don't suppose there are any similar utilities for these?

Tain
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/12/07
Send PM

#263897 - 09/04/11 08:49 AM

Try turning off Throttle and turning on Sync to Monitor Refresh. Leave everything else (TB/Vsync/RefreshSpeed) off. This is how I do it, and it's perfectly smooth.

If your display is at a higher refresh rate than the game, you should be set. Note that this can significantly increase the speed of some games (R-Type, going from 55hz to your display's 60hz), but for most games, the speed difference is imperceptible.

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

Re: What are the ideal settings of TripleBuffer/SynctoMonitorRefresh/Waitfo rVsync/RefreshSpeed ? new [Re: Tain]
#263932 - 09/05/11 01:14 AM

Quote:

Try turning off Throttle and turning on Sync to Monitor Refresh. Leave everything else (TB/Vsync/RefreshSpeed) off. This is how I do it, and it's perfectly smooth. If your display is at a higher refresh rate than the game, you should be set.

I would say the latter bit is the crucial factor. Although I notice the speed difference - even though on mine it was a solid 99%.

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 9340