View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Projammer
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/21/05
Send PM

Why 14 buttons?
#262404 - 08/17/11 10:33 PM

New user and doing some reseach so I'll probably start several threads before plugging in the saw and drill. I'm sure most of these have been asked before so please bear with me.

The question for this thread is why 14 buttons with most of the joystick/button bundles on eBay?

I know that I can set them up in any configuration I like, but since most of the packages had 14 buttons there must be some standard configuration they're geared for.

Something like six buttons with each joystick plus two player start buttons seems reasonable until you consider there's no coin buttons or any control buttons for pause, enter, or exit.

Four buttons per stick plus two sets of coin/play leaves two for control. I just haven't seen a lot of panels with only 4 buttons per player.

So is there a 'standard' configuration?

Thanks!

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Why 14 buttons? new [Re: Projammer]
#262412 - 08/18/11 01:25 AM

> New user and doing some reseach so I'll probably start several threads before
> plugging in the saw and drill. I'm sure most of these have been asked before so
> please bear with me.
>
> The question for this thread is why 14 buttons with most of the joystick/button
> bundles on eBay?
>
> I know that I can set them up in any configuration I like, but since most of the
> packages had 14 buttons there must be some standard configuration they're geared for.
>
> Something like six buttons with each joystick plus two player start buttons seems
> reasonable until you consider there's no coin buttons or any control buttons for
> pause, enter, or exit.
>
> Four buttons per stick plus two sets of coin/play leaves two for control. I just
> haven't seen a lot of panels with only 4 buttons per player.
>
> So is there a 'standard' configuration?
>
> Thanks!

Seven buttons per stick, arranged like this...

...OOO
...OOO
.O

...gives you the standard six-button configuration for Street Fighter style fighting games, and you can use the bottom row plus the extra button for a Neo*Geo config. I'm guessing that's what they have in mind with 14 buttons. There's no such thing as a standard configuration, but that's a common one.

FatTrucker
Randomly pressing buttons in hope of success.
Reged: 01/31/06
Loc: London UK
Send PM

Re: Why 14 buttons? new [Re: Projammer]
#262452 - 08/18/11 08:06 PM

Some people go OTT with buttons on their cabs trying to cover too many bases.

For maximum flexibility you'll want 6 buttons per player and a P1&P2 start button (on a 2 player panel).

If you're only ever going to use your cab yourself then admin buttons can be easily done by using the 'shift' key method supported by most encoders, where holding down a certain button (like P1 Start) will allow you to use other buttons for Pause, Escape etc.

If your machine is going to be used by other people its usually helpful to include a dedicated Pause and Exit button as a minimum.

My current machine has 6 per player, P1&P2 start, P1&P2 coin and admin buttons for Pause, Exit, TAB, and Return.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3073