View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

pinzach
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/13/11
Send PM

Wuss Alert - I get wonky from some games
#268314 - 11/10/11 04:32 AM

So I was playing Driven (GameCube) the other day - close-up on a 29" monitor in a cab. After a few minutes, I had a splitting headache. It lasted all night and into the next morning. That doesn't leave me feeling very manly. The advent of 3D games and even some 2D games where the background and foreground move independently made it so that every once in a while, gaming gave me headaches or made me feel a little wonky. In fact a couple of months ago, I wrote about it on my blog.... (and there's a poll there now to indicate if it happens to you)...

http://mamezach.blogspot.com/2011/09/ecco-dolphin-syndrome.html

But, my poll notwithstanding, anecdotal evidence here would be much more fun to read... So, has a game ever made you feel crappy or even nauseated? Be a man and admit it here.

Bryan Ischo
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/28/10
Send PM

Re: Wuss Alert - I get wonky from some games new [Re: pinzach]
#268317 - 11/10/11 04:43 AM

> But, my poll notwithstanding, anecdotal evidence here would be much more fun to
> read... So, has a game ever made you feel crappy or even nauseated? Be a man and
> admit it here.

No, that has never happened to me, but it happens to me friend even when viewing a first person game on a bigscreen TV across the room. He doesn't tolerate the skewed field of view combined with simulated perspective and movement of 3d games very well. I've never had a problem no matter what I've played; that being said, I've never played with a completely immersive view where even my peripheral vision was encompassed, maybe that environment would be harder for me. I don't know. I can play FPS games for hours and hours without any problem, although I rarely do that any more since I put my copy of Black Ops in the microwave because I was playing too much.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#268339 - 11/10/11 05:15 PM

1st person games (shooters and otherwise, e.g. Jumping Flash) almost uniformly make me violently motion sick. Doesn't happen with any other kind of 3D game. Some of the early ones (e.g. Duke Nukem 3D) were fine, but pretty much everything modern with the now-standard weird fisheye camera does it.

jclampy
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/16/11
Send PM

#268355 - 11/10/11 10:09 PM

Usually I only notice increased eye fatigue from looking at a display of 60Hz instead of 75Hz or higher.

Never felt nausea from gaming until I recently tried using scanline_jitter in the HLSL filter. I compare it with bull riding; if you can last more than 20 seconds you are a legend.

Read about my latest custom HLSL setup here;
http://gamingnos.blogspot.com/

"The Manuel"
Old Fart
Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Michigan, USA
Send PM

#268357 - 11/10/11 10:47 PM

I know at least two people who can't stand watching 3D games with 1st person perspective.
I've played them for years without problems, except for 2-3 occasions where I felt nauseted and had stop playing for the day. This happened with games that I had already played for many hours, and went on to finish. One of them was Metroid Prime on a 53" screen, sitting mabye 9' away.

I can't explain why it would happen on those isolated occasions, and not in the hundreds of hours I've played 1st person games. Maybe I should be more surprised about not having it happen on a regular basis, as I can't stand reading in a car, unless the car is going steady and straight ahead on a freeway. That makes dizzy really fast.

Ramirez
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/06/10
Loc: Brasil
Send PM

#268365 - 11/11/11 01:41 AM

> So I was playing Driven (GameCube) the other day - close-up on a 29" monitor in a
> cab. After a few minutes, I had a splitting headache. It lasted all night and into
> the next morning. That doesn't leave me feeling very manly. The advent of 3D games
> and even some 2D games where the background and foreground move independently made it
> so that every once in a while, gaming gave me headaches or made me feel a little
> wonky
. In fact a couple of months ago, I wrote about it on my blog.... (and there's a
> poll there now to indicate if it happens to you)...
>
> http://mamezach.blogspot.com/2011/09/ecco-dolphin-syndrome.html
>
> But, my poll notwithstanding, anecdotal evidence here would be much more fun to
> read... So, has a game ever made you feel crappy or even nauseated? Be a man and
> admit it here.

Yeah, I know what you mean... four or five six packs does it to me too...

kevenz
Reged: 04/25/11
Send PM

#268368 - 11/11/11 02:14 AM

I was a big Doom 2 fans, played many many hours of it with diffent map packs and stuff.

Then all the sudden...about 3 years ago one day..... I got really sick while playing it and it's been like that ever since.

I'm 30 now and I can't play FPS anymore...... oh well the only games I play anyway are arcade games.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

Re: Wuss Alert - I get wonky from some games new [Re: "The Manuel"]
#268374 - 11/11/11 05:00 AM

> I know at least two people who can't stand watching 3D games with 1st person
> perspective.

My friend has this problem. First-person games make her nauseous to the point of actually throwing up. She's fine with games like Grand Theft Auto as long as she uses the overhead/behind camera view, but first-person is a bullet train to vomit town.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

Never noticed anything...... new [Re: pinzach]
#268385 - 11/11/11 06:28 AM

though, truth, I haven't spent more than maybe 15-20 minutes on an FPS.

I have a different issue with CRTs above 60hz, and some LCDs, though. They look milky, and can screw up my vision. Late-model PC CRTs at 60hz is soooo comfortable. (I think it's due to the high-precision rastering and convergence.) 21" at 1280x1024, say.

Oh, and I can read in the front seat of a car. Could probly read on a roller coaster. Can't stand being on the edge of a truckin merry-go-round, though.

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1936