View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Bronzey
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/12/11
Send PM

Mame32 CD-Rom
#268452 - 11/12/11 03:30 PM

Hi. I have just bought a new laptop running Windows 7 and have tried playing games from my CD-Rom 'Arcade ClassiX MKII' (which shows as Mame32 as a filename) but when I open up the games I get the message 'MAME32 has detected an old version of comctl32.dll' and it says to to install the update at http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/ieplatform/ie/comctrlx86.asp
but this link doesn't seem to have anything to do with what I need.
If I play the games as they are, I cannot adjust the properties (so cannot use a joystick) and the colours etc. are all wrong. Any ideas?
Thank you!

kevenz
Reged: 04/25/11
Send PM

Re: Mame32 CD-Rom new [Re: Bronzey]
#268453 - 11/12/11 03:35 PM

well if it's a new laptop, just download mame64.exe from mamedev.org

it should work much better since it's more recent plus it's 64bits instead of 32.

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

#268458 - 11/12/11 04:30 PM

> Hi. I have just bought a new laptop running Windows 7 and have tried playing games
> from my CD-Rom 'Arcade ClassiX MKII' (which shows as Mame32 as a filename) but when I
> open up the games I get the message 'MAME32 has detected an old version of
> comctl32.dll' and it says to to install the update at
> http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/ieplatform/ie/comctrlx86.asp
> but this link doesn't seem to have anything to do with what I need.
> If I play the games as they are, I cannot adjust the properties (so cannot use a
> joystick) and the colours etc. are all wrong. Any ideas?
> Thank you!

It sounds like an illegally packaged disc intended to profit off other people's IP. You will receive no support here.

mesk
@ the arcade
Reged: 03/03/11
Loc: Rhode Island
Send PM

#268461 - 11/12/11 06:42 PM

Unbelievable.and to top it off it sounds like its a old one.

Bronzey
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/12/11
Send PM

Re: Mame32 CD-Rom new [Re: kevenz]
#268462 - 11/12/11 06:49 PM

Ok thanks. This is an HMV (the big retailer) product and I bought it years ago so if it is a dodgy copy that's news to me!

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

#268463 - 11/12/11 06:54 PM

If it has a MAME executable and ROMs packaged together, it is illegal.

mesk
@ the arcade
Reged: 03/03/11
Loc: Rhode Island
Send PM

#268464 - 11/12/11 07:38 PM

> Ok thanks. This is an HMV (the big retailer) product and I bought it years ago so if
> it is a dodgy copy that's news to me!

Google is your friend,bronzey.dont give your hard earned $$
to these scammer low lifes.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Re: Mame32 CD-Rom new [Re: Tafoid]
#268467 - 11/12/11 10:15 PM

> > Hi. I have just bought a new laptop running Windows 7 and have tried playing games
> > from my CD-Rom 'Arcade ClassiX MKII' (which shows as Mame32 as a filename) but when
> I
> > open up the games I get the message 'MAME32 has detected an old version of
> > comctl32.dll' and it says to to install the update at
> > http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/ieplatform/ie/comctrlx86.asp
> > but this link doesn't seem to have anything to do with what I need.
> > If I play the games as they are, I cannot adjust the properties (so cannot use a
> > joystick) and the colours etc. are all wrong. Any ideas?
> > Thank you!
>
> It sounds like an illegally packaged disc intended to profit off other people's IP.
> You will receive no support here.

I googled it, apparently this was also sold for the Amiga. (?!)

Yeah, sounds illegal. Sorry, OP.

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

Re: Mame32 CD-Rom new [Re: redk9258]
#268468 - 11/12/11 10:29 PM

> If it has a MAME executable and ROMs packaged together, it is illegal.

If it has a MAME executable and you paid for it, it is illegal.

Ziggy100
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/14/08
Send PM

#268472 - 11/13/11 01:01 AM

> Ok thanks. This is an HMV (the big retailer) product and I bought it years ago so if
> it is a dodgy copy that's news to me!

I find it VERY strange a big UK high street retailer like HMV would be selling a product like that.

I can only assume it was sold back when MAME was a very 'underground' scene..(Aggh..the good old days), and HMV had no idea about the legal aspects of selling a product containing ROM dumps.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

#268473 - 11/13/11 01:59 AM

> Hi. I have just bought a new laptop running Windows 7 and have tried playing games
> from my CD-Rom 'Arcade ClassiX MKII' (which shows as Mame32 as a filename) but when I
> open up the games I get the message 'MAME32 has detected an old version of
> comctl32.dll' and it says to to install the update at
> http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/ieplatform/ie/comctrlx86.asp
> but this link doesn't seem to have anything to do with what I need.
> If I play the games as they are, I cannot adjust the properties (so cannot use a
> joystick) and the colours etc. are all wrong. Any ideas?
> Thank you!

Legalities aside, something tells you either have a bad Internet Explorer install or an outdated one.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa260978%28v=vs.60%29.aspx

Quote:

Visual C++ 6.0 supports the use of the Window's common controls (Comctl32.dll) that are supplied with Internet Explorer 4.01. This version of Comctl32.dll has new controls, such that the Internet Explorer 4.01 version of Comctl32.dll will have to be on a target machine to ensure that your application will run properly. This is especially true if you use one of the new controls, such as the Date Time Picker.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Mame32 CD-Rom new [Re: Foxhack]
#268475 - 11/13/11 04:26 AM

> I googled it, apparently this was also sold for the Amiga. (?!)

An Amiga emulator, or to run on the Amiga? The latter would be fascinating

casm
Cinematronics > *
Reged: 08/27/07
Send PM

Re: Mame32 CD-Rom new [Re: Robbbert]
#268481 - 11/13/11 05:31 AM

> > If it has a MAME executable and ROMs packaged together, it is illegal.
>
> If it has a MAME executable and you paid for it, it is illegal.

The package the OP mentioned is still being offered for sale online.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

Re: Mame32 CD-Rom new [Re: R. Belmont]
#268483 - 11/13/11 06:21 AM

> > I googled it, apparently this was also sold for the Amiga. (?!)
>
> An Amiga emulator, or to run on the Amiga? The latter would be fascinating

From the product descriptions, it sounds like a CD that runs on a PC or an Amiga.

Is that even possible?

I seem to remember dual PC/MAC CDs back in the day that had two sessions or something so that each OS would only see the appropriate one.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Mame32 CD-Rom new [Re: krick]
#268485 - 11/13/11 06:29 AM

> > > I googled it, apparently this was also sold for the Amiga. (?!)
> >
> > An Amiga emulator, or to run on the Amiga? The latter would be fascinating
>
>
> From the product descriptions, it sounds like a CD that runs on a PC or an Amiga.
>
> Is that even possible?
>
> I seem to remember dual PC/MAC CDs back in the day that had two sessions or something
> so that each OS would only see the appropriate one.

They had a single session with multiple filesystem structures pointing at it so large data files could be shared. On a Mac you'd see the Windows-compatible filesystem as a separate disk on the desktop.

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#268486 - 11/13/11 07:09 AM

> From the product descriptions, it sounds like a CD that runs on a PC or an Amiga.
>
> Is that even possible?

I guess that an Amiga that's fast enough to run MAME could easily read a CD that was burnt on a PC...while playing an MP3 and running a fractal zoomer at the same time. Or maybe that's stretching it.

S

Mentski
One Credit Chump
Reged: 08/25/07
Send PM

Re: Mame32 CD-Rom new [Re: Ziggy100]
#268489 - 11/13/11 08:30 AM

> > Ok thanks. This is an HMV (the big retailer) product and I bought it years ago so
> if
> > it is a dodgy copy that's news to me!
>
> I find it VERY strange a big UK high street retailer like HMV would be selling a
> product like that.
>
> I can only assume it was sold back when MAME was a very 'underground'
> scene..(Aggh..the good old days), and HMV had no idea about the legal aspects of
> selling a product containing ROM dumps.

That was exactly what it was.

HMV used to sell a fair few different "Classix" discs, all made by a company called "TFC Software". They could usually be found hidden among other PD/Shareware compilation CDs on a little spinny rack in the corner of the software section

I have a "Speccy Classix '98" CD right here (Which shows how far back we're going), full of ZX Spectrum, and for some reason, C64 games.

Check the utter bollocks they wrote on the back cover in an attempt to cover their arses:

The Contents of this CD-ROM have been previously been released onto the internet and therefore freely re-distributable either as Public-domain, freeware, or shareware. However no "direct" blatant copy of this CD should be produced by any "unscrupulous" CD producers.

...Seriously. I'm not making that up.

I must've seen these discs floating about HMV into the early 2000's. Long gone now though.

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

Re: Mame32 CD-Rom new [Re: Mentski]
#268492 - 11/13/11 09:29 AM

> > > Ok thanks. This is an HMV (the big retailer) product and I bought it years ago so
> > if
> > > it is a dodgy copy that's news to me!
> >
> > I find it VERY strange a big UK high street retailer like HMV would be selling a
> > product like that.
> >
> > I can only assume it was sold back when MAME was a very 'underground'
> > scene..(Aggh..the good old days), and HMV had no idea about the legal aspects of
> > selling a product containing ROM dumps.
>
> That was exactly what it was.
>
> HMV used to sell a fair few different "Classix" discs, all made by a company called
> "TFC Software". They could usually be found hidden among other PD/Shareware
> compilation CDs on a little spinny rack in the corner of the software section
>
> I have a "Speccy Classix '98" CD right here (Which shows how far back we're going),
> full of ZX Spectrum, and for some reason, C64 games.
>
> Check the utter bollocks they wrote on the back cover in an attempt to cover their
> arses:
>
> The Contents of this CD-ROM have been previously been released onto the internet and
> therefore freely re-distributable either as Public-domain, freeware, or shareware.
> However no "direct" blatant copy of this CD should be produced by any "unscrupulous"
> CD producers.
>
> ...Seriously. I'm not making that up.
>
> I must've seen these discs floating about HMV into the early 2000's. Long gone now
> though.

I guess HMV is the same HMV store in Australia. If so HMV = "His Masters Voice", which is part of EMI record company. So, we have a big company breaking the rules because they can.

Sacrilego
Reged: 09/10/05
Send PM

Re: Mame32 CD-Rom new [Re: Mentski]
#268496 - 11/13/11 05:44 PM

> I have a "Speccy Classix '98" CD right here (Which shows how far back we're going),
> full of ZX Spectrum, and for some reason, C64 games.
>
> Check the utter bollocks they wrote on the back cover in an attempt to cover their
> arses:
>
> The Contents of this CD-ROM have been previously been released onto the internet and
> therefore freely re-distributable either as Public-domain, freeware, or shareware.
> However no "direct" blatant copy of this CD should be produced by any "unscrupulous"
> CD producers.
>
> ...Seriously. I'm not making that up.
>
> I must've seen these discs floating about HMV into the early 2000's. Long gone now
> though.

This practice is still the same right now, certain online auction site for example is filled with sellers selling thousands of emulated games that are not public domain on compilation discs with a disclaimer saying that it's all public domain, most of the ones I've seen are from the UK.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Mame32 CD-Rom new [Re: Sacrilego]
#268497 - 11/13/11 06:17 PM

The British are by far the most offense pirate game sellers. Not because of quantity alone but from their casual manner of doing it. They don't try to hide, they wake up, yawn and bootleg. Just looking at the arcade category on ebay and you find it mostly filled with mame boots.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Arcade-Gaming-/171918/i.html

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#268501 - 11/13/11 08:14 PM

>
> Is that even possible?

Sure. Both can read ISO-9660 filesystems, and AFAIK having Joliet or Rock Ridge extensions for long filenames doesn't hurt that.

Mentski
One Credit Chump
Reged: 08/25/07
Send PM

Re: Mame32 CD-Rom new [Re: Robbbert]
#268503 - 11/13/11 08:26 PM

> I guess HMV is the same HMV store in Australia. If so HMV = "His Masters Voice",
> which is part of EMI record company. So, we have a big company breaking the rules
> because they can.

The HMV record stores used to be owned by EMI, but were spun off into an independent company in the late 90's/early 00's.

The "His Master's Voice" trademark used to have about 4 different owners, but HMV Group bought the global rights to the name some time back.

For some reason though, that didn't include the "Nipper the Dog" logo, so depending on the country, some stores can't use it.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Send PM

Re: Mame32 CD-Rom new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#268505 - 11/13/11 08:54 PM

> > > > I googled it, apparently this was also sold for the Amiga. (?!)
> > >
> > > An Amiga emulator, or to run on the Amiga? The latter would be fascinating
> >
> >
> > From the product descriptions, it sounds like a CD that runs on a PC or an Amiga.
> >
> > Is that even possible?
> >
> > I seem to remember dual PC/MAC CDs back in the day that had two sessions or
> something
> > so that each OS would only see the appropriate one.
>
> They had a single session with multiple filesystem structures pointing at it so large
> data files could be shared. On a Mac you'd see the Windows-compatible filesystem as a
> separate disk on the desktop.

And making disk images of such mixed CDs is a pain in the ass.

Sune
Connected
Send PM

#268510 - 11/13/11 09:36 PM

> > > I seem to remember dual PC/MAC CDs back in the day that had two sessions or
> > something
> > > so that each OS would only see the appropriate one.

> And making disk images of such mixed CDs is a pain in the ass.

It can be done with some arm twisting of UltraISO on Windows and if you use Toast Titanium on OS X it's as easy as any other type of CD.

S

Foxhack
Furry guy
Send PM

Re: Mame32 CD-Rom new [Re: Sune]
#268512 - 11/13/11 09:56 PM

> > > > I seem to remember dual PC/MAC CDs back in the day that had two sessions or
> > > something
> > > > so that each OS would only see the appropriate one.
>
> > And making disk images of such mixed CDs is a pain in the ass.
>
> It can be done with some arm twisting of UltraISO on Windows and if you use Toast
> Titanium on OS X it's as easy as any other type of CD.
>
> S

Well of course it's easy on a Mac. But on Windows...

I'd rather not have to crack software to do it.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Send PM

Re: Mame32 CD-Rom new [Re: Smitdogg]
#268513 - 11/13/11 09:58 PM

> The British are by far the most offense pirate game sellers. Not because of quantity
> alone but from their casual manner of doing it. They don't try to hide, they wake up,
> yawn and bootleg. Just looking at the arcade category on ebay and you find it mostly
> filled with mame boots.
>
> http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Arcade-Gaming-/171918/i.html

Well considering how easy it was to copy tape-based games in the 80's, I guess it just became part of their culture, in a sense.

Sune
Connected
Send PM

#268514 - 11/13/11 10:40 PM

> Well considering how easy it was to copy tape-based games in the 80's, I guess it
> just became part of their culture, in a sense.

In Denmark in the 80's everybody openly traded tapes full of games in the classifieds paper. Spectrum, C64, Amstrad CPC. If the other guy was close you would arrange to meet and swap tapes, or send a out a C60 in the mail and get one back. I did this a lot at the time when I was 11-15..and never got burned (or sexually molested lol). Pirate's honor I guess. I never got caught either and never heard about anyone getting caught. I don't think my dad had any idea what I was doing.

Then one day out of the blue (about 1988 or 89 I think) they started not taking this type of ad at all, you would buy the paper and there was nothing. Instead there were these little "Piracy is a crime" ads with a phone number you could call and turn in your friends. That was scary as hell for a while..but then I started getting interested in other things and didn't own a computer again until 1998.

Here in Brazil you can buy pirated DVDs and games right in the street. Nobody gives a shit. Ex-president Lula was caught once praising a movie that wasn't out on DVD yet. He said he had watched it on his private plane.

S

redk9258
Regular
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

#268515 - 11/13/11 10:55 PM

> > > > > I seem to remember dual PC/MAC CDs back in the day that had two sessions or
> > > > something
> > > > > so that each OS would only see the appropriate one.
> >
> > > And making disk images of such mixed CDs is a pain in the ass.
> >
> > It can be done with some arm twisting of UltraISO on Windows and if you use Toast
> > Titanium on OS X it's as easy as any other type of CD.
> >
> > S
>
> Well of course it's easy on a Mac. But on Windows...
>
> I'd rather not have to crack software to do it.

Can't ImgBurn handle it?

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

Re: Mame32 CD-Rom new [Re: Smitdogg]
#268531 - 11/14/11 01:39 AM

> The British are by far the most offense pirate game sellers. Not because of quantity
> alone but from their casual manner of doing it. They don't try to hide, they wake up,
> yawn and bootleg. Just looking at the arcade category on ebay and you find it mostly
> filled with mame boots.
>
> http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Arcade-Gaming-/171918/i.html

LOL, it's *exactly* the same on eBay in Australia. After the local Arcade / Coin Op ads, they have a bunch of ads from international sellers, usually there are 2-4 ads for illegal MAME ROM DVDs, and all are from UK sellers.

Check it out here:

eBay AU - Coin operated arcade games

I reported many, many dozens of these illegal ads to eBay, spelling out exactly why they were illegal, but as far as I can tell, they never froze or deleted a single auction and never restricted any sellers. The illegal stuff just keeps rolling on, and eBay don't care as long as they get their cut.

Moose

Foxhack
Furry guy
Send PM

Re: Mame32 CD-Rom new [Re: redk9258]
#268534 - 11/14/11 03:03 AM

> > > > > > I seem to remember dual PC/MAC CDs back in the day that had two sessions or
> > > > > something
> > > > > > so that each OS would only see the appropriate one.
> > >
> > > > And making disk images of such mixed CDs is a pain in the ass.
> > >
> > > It can be done with some arm twisting of UltraISO on Windows and if you use Toast
> > > Titanium on OS X it's as easy as any other type of CD.
> > >
> > > S
> >
> > Well of course it's easy on a Mac. But on Windows...
> >
> > I'd rather not have to crack software to do it.
>
> Can't ImgBurn handle it?

Nope, it only copies the non-Mac stuff.

CptGuapo
Beat'em-ups Lover
Reged: 03/18/08
Loc: Off to Never Never Land
Send PM

Re: Mame32 CD-Rom new [Re: Sune]
#272923 - 01/14/12 05:05 AM

LOL! Indeed. The movie was "Tropa de Elite", if I'm not mistaken... Well, at that time, everyone was pirating that movie (FWIW, Great one. Original, of course )

"Mythology is what grownups believe, folklore is what they tell children and religion is both."

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 51951