Pages: 1

PhoneLine
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/06
Send PM

HLSL works for first rom only....
#269639 - 11/27/11 02:29 AM

Hi All,

I've been trying to get HLSL setup and have done a lot of reading to try and figure it all out myself. I'm happy to say I have it working to the point where I can run one rom.

Whatever that first rom is, works great and I can visually tell that HLSL is enabled and I like the way it looks. The problem is, if I exit that rom and load another one (or even the same one that was just working 5 seconds before) i get an error about not being able to initialize the direct 3D device.

Mame then crashes and if I start it up again, I can once again pick one rom and it works, but then, same as before, quit and start another game and it ends with a crash.

I tried multiple hlsl settings and even just a stock mame.ini with hlsl on with no other settings changed causes this same issue.

Anyone have a clue? I'm kind of at a loss. I'd understand if it didn't work, but I can see visually its working, but only for the first rom I select after running mame.

Appreciate any ideas anyone has.

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: HLSL works for first rom only.... new [Re: PhoneLine]
#269640 - 11/27/11 02:39 AM

> Hi All,
>
> I've been trying to get HLSL setup and have done a lot of reading to try and figure
> it all out myself. I'm happy to say I have it working to the point where I can run
> one rom.
>
> Whatever that first rom is, works great and I can visually tell that HLSL is enabled
> and I like the way it looks. The problem is, if I exit that rom and load another one
> (or even the same one that was just working 5 seconds before) i get an error about
> not being able to initialize the direct 3D device.
>
> Mame then crashes and if I start it up again, I can once again pick one rom and it
> works, but then, same as before, quit and start another game and it ends with a
> crash.
>
> I tried multiple hlsl settings and even just a stock mame.ini with hlsl on with no
> other settings changed causes this same issue.
>
> Anyone have a clue? I'm kind of at a loss. I'd understand if it didn't work, but I
> can see visually its working, but only for the first rom I select after running mame.
>
> Appreciate any ideas anyone has.

You are probably using an older version since you don't mention what version it is you are using? Please try 0.144 and report back after testing:
http://mamedev.org/release.html
Also, it's best to clear anything .INI out of HLSL folder leaving only the core .FX files as there are a number of commands which are not supported in the most current HLSL implementation.

PhoneLine
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: HLSL works for first rom only.... new [Re: Tafoid]
#269641 - 11/27/11 02:49 AM

Sorry, it is 0.144. A 64 bit I compiled myself optimized for my AMD 64 X2 and also tried the official 64 bit from the site, both do the same thing.

Also, did have just the fx files in the hlsl folder. Every so often I see a __empty.ini that gets created in that folder, but during the testing I have tried I deleted it to always has a fresh as I thought possible setup.

PC is windows 7 64 bit, all updates and that stuff.

jclampy
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/16/11
Send PM

#269643 - 11/27/11 02:59 AM

Can you show what the following settings look like in your mame.ini;
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#
# DIRECT3D POST-PROCESSING OPTIONS
#
hlsl_enable 1
hlslpath hlsl
hlsl_ini_read 0
hlsl_ini_write 0
hlslini %g
hlsl_preset -1
hlsl_write

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No doubt the problem will be how yours are set.

Read about my latest custom HLSL setup here;
http://gamingnos.blogspot.com/

PhoneLine
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: HLSL works for first rom only.... new [Re: jclampy]
#269644 - 11/27/11 03:06 AM

They seem to look just like that.... with the addition of another two in between....

hlsl_enable 1
hlslpath hlsl
hlsl_ini_read 0
hlsl_ini_write 0
hlslini %g
hlsl_prescale_x 0
hlsl_prescale_y 0
hlsl_preset -1
hlsl_write

jclampy
MAME Fan
Send PM

#269645 - 11/27/11 03:14 AM

The ones inbetween are fine. I was just interested to see the main ones that pertain to .ini usage and read/write settings.

Hmm, nothing looks like could be cause of problem.

I am not 100% sure how these two work:
hlsl_preset -1
hlsl_write

I did request that more and/or updated documentation be released but got no response.
http://forums.bannister.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=73804#Post73804

PS:
hlsl_prescale_x
hlsl_prescale_y

Setting these at 0 should never cause any problems.
If they were set to a number that is higher than the 'magnification' from original game pixels to what your final output resolution is then it could crash MAME or atleast make it run really slow.

Not the problem here ofcourse since yours are at 0 but just thought I would mention that anyway.

Edited by jclampy (11/27/11 03:27 AM)

PhoneLine
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: HLSL works for first rom only.... new [Re: jclampy]
#269646 - 11/27/11 03:24 AM

Thanks. I really tried to do some homework on my own and figure it out, so I'm happy I stumped the pro's too.

I did more research one the error, which is exactly "Unable to create the Direct 3d Device (8876086C)" and fond that its some kind of invalid call to direct x? That's above my knowledge level, but I'm still looking to see if I find anything.

Whats oddest is the fact that it works upon the initial launch and then after exiting one and starting another (or the same rom) it crashes.....like its not releasing its hold on something. Could be a possessed PC too....thats been known to happen to me!

Edited by PhoneLine (11/27/11 03:26 AM)

jclampy
MAME Fan
Send PM

#269647 - 11/27/11 03:32 AM

I'm not one of the in crowd. I just mucked around with HLSL a bit. Still I don't know all the facets.

I am using 32bit as well so can't help you from that end of it.

Maybe someone else could help, but maybe you could post on the MESS board as an alternative? One of the HLSL developers 'Just Desserts' frequents there so he might be able to help you directly? Just an idea if all else fails.

MESS board is here;
http://forums.bannister.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=1&page=1

Edited by jclampy (11/27/11 03:34 AM)

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#269699 - 11/27/11 08:17 PM

> Thanks. I really tried to do some homework on my own and figure it out, so I'm happy
> I stumped the pro's too.
>
> I did more research one the error, which is exactly "Unable to create the Direct 3d
> Device (8876086C)" and fond that its some kind of invalid call to direct x? That's
> above my knowledge level, but I'm still looking to see if I find anything.
>
> Whats oddest is the fact that it works upon the initial launch and then after exiting
> one and starting another (or the same rom) it crashes.....like its not releasing its
> hold on something. Could be a possessed PC too....thats been known to happen to me!

Try messing with your video card drivers - install newer versions, install older versions, see if it changes. There used to be an issue with Nvidia drivers and HLSL that installing _older_ versions fixed the problem.

Maybe mentioning your video card and driver version could help...

- Stiletto

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: HLSL works for first rom only.... new [Re: Stiletto]
#269703 - 11/27/11 08:30 PM

> Maybe mentioning your video card and driver version could help...
>
> - Stiletto

That and try 0.144u1 that has a HLSL fix in the whatsnew ;-)

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

#269720 - 11/27/11 11:22 PM

I've only got it to kinda work one time. I think I was using some premade settings from an example (I was trying to follow a walkthrough) and the first thing I seen when the game loaded was as if it was stretched a'la the text intro to Star Wars. /\ And things were black and white (no gray areas).

I can't recall what happened next, if it exited out (crashed) or just had a black screen and exited out myself.

I'm betting my hardware can't handle it, either that or I'm just a noob at this stuff (haven't KEPT at it and reading about it till I can get it).

Perhaps I'm presuming this is more easy than complicated -- when it's actually pretty complicated... e.g. I'm not doing enough work to get this to work.

Edited by T0M (11/27/11 11:24 PM)

LEVEL-4

jclampy
MAME Fan
Send PM

How to quickly and easily find out if your card supports atleast pixel shader 3.0 new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#269722 - 11/27/11 11:34 PM

I remembered a quick way to find out if your video card supports pixel shader v3.0

It is called realtech-vr: OpenGL Extensions Viewer.

You can get it here:
http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/download.html

If you squint at this picture here you can see it lists the pixel shader at the bottom;
http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/glview_4_win.jpg

Hopefully lots of people will find that will be very useful.

PhoneLine
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: HLSL works for first rom only.... new [Re: B2K24]
#269727 - 11/28/11 01:10 AM

Video card is a ATI Radeon 5700 HD. It has the newest drivers.

I'll try 144u1 and also mess with the drivers if that doesn't work.

PhoneLine
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: How to quickly and easily find out if your card supports atleast pixel shader 3.0 new [Re: jclampy]
#269728 - 11/28/11 01:14 AM

I got vs_3_0, ps_3_0.

Pretty sure the card supports it though as I do get it upon the initial run.

Going to compile a 144u1 and give it a shot.

John IV
IV/Play, MAME, MAMEUI
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Washington, USA
Send PM

Re: How to quickly and easily find out if your card supports atleast pixel shader 3.0 new [Re: PhoneLine]
#269737 - 11/28/11 02:55 AM

There is a regression where the a malformed entry is written to the \hlsl\*.ini file in the aperture setting. You have to clear that out of or it will crash, or disable the reading the writing from that file.

john iv
http://www.mameui.info/

Trebor
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/18/05
Send PM

#269741 - 11/28/11 04:44 AM

> Thanks. I really tried to do some homework on my own and figure it out, so I'm happy
> I stumped the pro's too.
>
> I did more research one the error, which is exactly "Unable to create the Direct 3d
> Device (8876086C)" and fond that its some kind of invalid call to direct x? That's
> above my knowledge level, but I'm still looking to see if I find anything.

Try the link in point 2.6 here:
http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...part=1&vc=1

See if that fixes the problem.

PhoneLine
MAME Fan
Send PM

#269745 - 11/28/11 05:41 AM

144u1 has fixed the issue for me. I compiled myself a copy and tried about 20 different roms....no crashes and hlsl was enabled.

Thanks to all those who have offered assistance!

PhoneLine
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: HLSL works for first rom only.... new [Re: B2K24]
#269746 - 11/28/11 05:43 AM

> > Maybe mentioning your video card and driver version could help...
> >
> > - Stiletto
>
> That and try 0.144u1 that has a HLSL fix in the whatsnew ;-)

144u1 has solved the crash problem!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 4557