View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Trnzaddict
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/24/10
Send PM

A question with G Darius?
#280126 - 03/23/12 02:48 AM

Hi, can someone explain to me why G Darius is still lacking music? What is involved to emulate the music player?

Asking because I just built an arcade cabinet and I haven't touched mame for a very very long time and I found it hard to believe that G Darius was still lacking music even up to the most current version Im using on my cab.

I 'm actualy running the ps2 port on Taito Legends II to get the closest arcade accurate port as possible, but the Mame version is still alot smoother.

Just curious....

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

Re: A question with G Darius? new [Re: Trnzaddict]
#280130 - 03/23/12 03:22 AM

Best solution for You (until MAME team do the 100% sound emulation) is PSX version of G-Darius and ePSXe emulator which emulates the game just perfect.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#280154 - 03/23/12 06:24 AM

> Hi, can someone explain to me why G Darius is still lacking music? What is involved
> to emulate the music player?

Combination of unusual audio CPU (Panasonic/National MN102xx, usually only found in optical disc drives), totally undocumented sound chip, and weird custom sample compression.

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: A question with G Darius? new [Re: CTOJAH]
#280163 - 03/23/12 07:45 AM

> ePSXe emulator which emulates the game just perfect.

lolwut?

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: A question with G Darius? new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#280189 - 03/23/12 04:52 PM

> > ePSXe emulator which emulates the game just perfect.
>
> lolwut?

I was anxiously awaiting for Belmont to have a field day with that statement, but maybe because it was so late in the evening, he decided to pass on that opportunity

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: A question with G Darius? new [Re: B2K24]
#280192 - 03/23/12 04:59 PM

> > > ePSXe emulator which emulates the game just perfect.
> >
> > lolwut?
>
> I was anxiously awaiting for Belmont to have a field day with that statement, but
> maybe because it was so late in the evening, he decided to pass on that opportunity

Heihachi covered it fine

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

Re: A question with G Darius? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#280253 - 03/24/12 03:18 AM

> > > > ePSXe emulator which emulates the game just perfect.
> > >
> > > lolwut?
> >
> > I was anxiously awaiting for Belmont to have a field day with that statement, but
> > maybe because it was so late in the evening, he decided to pass on that opportunity
>
>
> Heihachi covered it fine

What prevents the G-Darius music from being emulated in MAME, then?

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

B2K24
Send PM

Re: A question with G Darius? new [Re: Master O]
#280262 - 03/24/12 05:47 AM

> What prevents the G-Darius music from being emulated in MAME, then?

http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...part=1&vc=1

mesk
@ the arcade
Reged: 03/03/11
Loc: Rhode Island
Send PM

#280278 - 03/24/12 03:56 PM

ePSXe? are we back in 2003?

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Send PM

Re: A question with G Darius? new [Re: mesk]
#280283 - 03/24/12 04:24 PM

What do You use for PSX emulation ??

mesk
@ the arcade
Reged: 03/03/11
Loc: Rhode Island
Send PM

#280284 - 03/24/12 04:31 PM

Mostly XEBRA,sometimes pSX

Only reason I stopped using ePSXe is because there are games that it does not run,and never will run since it has been dead since '03

MordecaiWalfish
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/26/12
Send PM

#280515 - 03/26/12 02:55 PM

> Best solution for You (until MAME team do the 100% sound emulation) is PSX version of
> G-Darius and ePSXe emulator which emulates the game just perfect.

It's been determined time and time again that the best current emulation for G-Darius is actually the Taito Legends 2 PS2 port.

I would consider the PSX version to be decent and playable at best, but *FAR* from "perfect". This topic is in regards to the music in general, and anyone who's played the PSX/PC versions knows how the music tracks cut out abruptly at parts and sometimes don't even start back up until the boss battle or next level. It's a shame because the music in G-Darius is truly wonderful.. so much, in fact, that I regularly queue up the soundtrack in FLAC while playing the MAME version and silently pray to the SHMUP gods for that glaringly missing 'other half' of the game to come to MAME.

MAME is the *only* way to play this game, IMO. The other ports just feel like shit when compared to that level of fluidity in game-play, as it was intended.

I wish they didn't use such obscure means for the sound in this game...

MordecaiWalfish
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/26/12
Send PM

Re: A question with G Darius? new [Re: MordecaiWalfish]
#293760 - 08/13/12 06:52 PM

Anyone who was interested in experiencing G-Darius in it's closest-to-arcade form on a PC, I have written up a guide on how to do so here: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=42521

This will not only give you the original game at a full 60hz, but the wonderful soundtrack is fully in-tact and does not cut-out at times, like the PSX/PC ports do. Input latency is kept to a minimum with that guide as well, and it has been optimized to output on 1080p HDTV's.

Enjoy =)

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: A question with G Darius? new [Re: mesk]
#293764 - 08/13/12 09:48 PM

> Only reason I stopped using ePSXe is because there are games that it does not run,and
> never will run since it has been dead since '03

Not really, ePSXe 1.7.0 was released in 2008 and the latest version of pSX was released in 2007.

ePSXe is nice if you want the enhanced visuals and like to tinker for hours to get them, pSX is a lot easier to use, has better compatibility and lower system requirements.

S

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#293780 - 08/14/12 01:50 AM

> > Hi, can someone explain to me why G Darius is still lacking music? What is involved
> > to emulate the music player?
>
> Combination of unusual audio CPU (Panasonic/National MN102xx, usually only found in
> optical disc drives), totally undocumented sound chip, and weird custom sample
> compression.

Don't forget the effects dsp.

SanRinSanChan
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/07/12
Send PM

Re: A question with G Darius? new [Re: MordecaiWalfish]
#293903 - 08/16/12 03:06 AM

> MAME is the *only* way to play this game, IMO. The other ports just feel like shit
> when compared to that level of fluidity in game-play, as it was intended.

Why not buy the actual PCB?

B2K24
Send PM

Re: A question with G Darius? new [Re: SanRinSanChan]
#293905 - 08/16/12 04:16 AM

> Why not buy the actual PCB?

That is an option for some, but not necessarily doable for everyone.

SanRinSanChan
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/07/12
Send PM

Re: A question with G Darius? new [Re: B2K24]
#293920 - 08/16/12 07:24 AM

That may be so, but I don't see how emulation is the *only* way to play a game.

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Send PM

Re: A question with G Darius? new [Re: SanRinSanChan]
#293929 - 08/16/12 03:35 PM

> That may be so, but I don't see how emulation is the *only* way to play a game ON PC !

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#293933 - 08/16/12 04:33 PM

> > That may be so, but I don't see how emulation is the *only* way to play a game ON
> PC !

ON PC is always going to be an imperfect experience unless the game is made for PCs (and even then it's going to be subtly off unless you use the same PC and monitor the developers did, and calibrate the monitor as appropriate).

So, yes, if you're as wound up about perfection as the poster here is, the PCB and a supergun are the only way to go. MAME actually plays PS1-hardware games like G-Darius more fluidly than they're supposed to be due to the current lack of GPU timing emulation, for instance.

grog
Reged: 09/06/11
Send PM

#293939 - 08/16/12 05:25 PM

> I 'm actualy running the ps2 port on Taito Legends II
> to get the closest arcade accurate port as possible...

> It's been determined time and time again that the best
> current emulation for G-Darius is actually
> the Taito Legends 2 PS2 port

the europe taito legends packs on ps2 i would avoid, the emulation by empire interactive (who licensed the games from taito) is poor. what you want is the much better japanese taito memories collections (written by taito corporation japan themselves).

there are 4 different japanese taito memories packs if i remember. for g-darius, you want the 'taito memories 1 - volume 2 (gekan)' collection (the menus etc are in japanese but its not too hard to figure out everything). oh and make sure you run the games in 60hz ntsc, not 50hz pal, but i expect you know that already...

more info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taito_Memories

Edited by grog (08/16/12 10:03 PM)

Bubblun_Z
Obscure Platform
Loc: In A SPEAK BOARD/-86
Send PM

Re: A question with G Darius? new [Re: grog]
#293955 - 08/16/12 09:12 PM

Actually, it's on just Taito Memories Gekan, not on II's Gekan.

Until next time, keep on RTFMin'. I--{=-^.^-=}

grog
Reged: 09/06/11
Send PM

Re: A question with G Darius? new [Re: Bubblun_Z]
#293957 - 08/16/12 09:45 PM

> Actually, it's on just Taito Memories Gekan, not on II's Gekan.

thnks, i will edit my original post

Trnzaddict
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/24/10
Send PM

#293962 - 08/16/12 10:42 PM

> > > That may be so, but I don't see how emulation is the *only* way to play a game ON
> > PC !
>
> ON PC is always going to be an imperfect experience unless the game is made for PCs
> (and even then it's going to be subtly off unless you use the same PC and monitor the
> developers did, and calibrate the monitor as appropriate).
>
> So, yes, if you're as wound up about perfection as the poster here is, the PCB and a
> supergun are the only way to go. MAME actually plays PS1-hardware games like G-Darius
> more fluidly than they're supposed to be due to the current lack of GPU timing
> emulation, for instance.

Ahh, so MAME DOES play it a little more fluidly. This explains some stuff, as it seems mames refresh rate is a little better than the ps2's on this game. You can notice this on the first boss's animations.

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

#294030 - 08/18/12 06:02 AM

> > > > That may be so, but I don't see how emulation is the *only* way to play a game
> ON
> > > PC !
> >
> > ON PC is always going to be an imperfect experience unless the game is made for PCs
> > (and even then it's going to be subtly off unless you use the same PC and monitor
> the
> > developers did, and calibrate the monitor as appropriate).
> >
> > So, yes, if you're as wound up about perfection as the poster here is, the PCB and
> a
> > supergun are the only way to go. MAME actually plays PS1-hardware games like
> G-Darius
> > more fluidly than they're supposed to be due to the current lack of GPU timing
> > emulation, for instance.
>
>
> Ahh, so MAME DOES play it a little more fluidly. This explains some stuff, as it
> seems mames refresh rate is a little better than the ps2's on this game. You can
> notice this on the first boss's animations.

"I always wanted some Tuna Sashimi!"

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#294180 - 08/21/12 02:14 PM

> Ahh, so MAME DOES play it a little more fluidly. This explains some stuff, as it
> seems mames refresh rate is a little better than the ps2's on this game. You can
> notice this on the first boss's animations.

The ps2's timing isn't perfect either.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 7511