Pages: 1

excaliburlives
Game Junkie
Reged: 04/11/04
Loc: MA.
Send PM

Wells Gardner D9200 is dead, now what??
#281624 - 04/05/12 09:25 PM

I bought a brand new D9200 27" about 5 years ago and now i'm getting no signal/ out of range. I called them and he said the board is probably junk and i cant get parts anymore. My question is...what should i buy to replace this? I don't want to make the same mistake as before. What is everyone using these days? Should i get a lcd? I need a monitor that will work with my ArcadeVGA card. Any suggestions?

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: Wells Gardner D9200 is dead, now what?? new [Re: excaliburlives]
#281664 - 04/06/12 06:23 AM

> Should i get a lcd?

no because it will look horrible.

Buy another brand new D9200 or something similar.

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

#281665 - 04/06/12 06:42 AM

> I bought a brand new D9200 27" about 5 years ago and now i'm getting no signal/ out
> of range. I called them and he said the board is probably junk and i cant get parts
> anymore. My question is...what should i buy to replace this? I don't want to make the
> same mistake as before. What is everyone using these days? Should i get a lcd? I need
> a monitor that will work with my ArcadeVGA card. Any suggestions?

There are a ton of people in your area that it can be sent to and get fixed. Or, if you are feeling adventurous, pull out the chassis and re-work it with a cap kit. You can always snap a few ~good~ images before / during removal if you want a second set of eyes on it.

Most of the issues with the D9200 were common ones and are well known. If I was getting the out or range / sync on mine, I'd start my looking at that little signal/connector board off to the side that your RGB or VGA plug into. Look for signs of heating/charring. You can run a multimeter over the resistors/diodes on that board and check them.

Here's a brief troubleshooting guide. Far from complete, but helpful.

http://www.arcade-museum.com/manuals-monitors/D9200%20Troubleshooting.pdf

As much trash talk as that monitor takes sometimes, they aren't that bad to fix. 4600/4900 were lightyears worse IMO...

excaliburlives
Game Junkie
Send PM

Re: Wells Gardner D9200 is dead, now what?? new [Re: italie]
#281690 - 04/06/12 01:52 PM

The tech at Wells Gardner said i'de have to buy a new chasis and the kit was $175 i think. Not sure if i should dump more money into this thing or not. I have no idea what the labor would be either. I thought they made new lcd monitors for arcade machines now?? I dont want a regular lcd, i need something that can do low resolution.

When you say "plenty of places around me" could you name a place or 2?

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

#281713 - 04/06/12 08:40 PM

> The tech at Wells Gardner said i'de have to buy a new chasis and the kit was $175 i
> think. Not sure if i should dump more money into this thing or not. I have no idea
> what the labor would be either. I thought they made new lcd monitors for arcade
> machines now?? I dont want a regular lcd, i need something that can do low
> resolution.
>
> When you say "plenty of places around me" could you name a place or 2?

Post a specific message here with your location, and the need for repair in the title. Do the same at Klov and/or BYOAforums. Someone will chime in.

If you are comfortable removing the chassis (PCB), I know a good guy in Wisconsin that will do it cheap and guarantee the work. I'd offer, but my turn around would be pretty bad at the moment.

excaliburlives
Game Junkie
Send PM

Re: Wells Gardner D9200 is dead, now what?? new [Re: italie]
#281810 - 04/08/12 02:34 AM

Ok, i'll try to get it fixed locally, thanx.

DrArcade
AKA Mr. CAST
Reged: 03/27/12
Loc: Latin America
Send PM

#281915 - 04/09/12 02:58 AM

> Ok, i'll try to get it fixed locally, thanx.

Any monitor repair shop should be able to fix it.
Parts are readily available for it.

If you are looking for an alternative. I have the D9200 in my main cabinet, and the 27" Makvision Tri-Mode in the other, the only real difference is the Makvision is flatter, while it's not LCD flat, it's still noticeably flatter than the WG

Mr. CAST

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Wells Gardner D9200 is dead, now what?? new [Re: DrArcade]
#281962 - 04/09/12 04:40 PM

> If you are looking for an alternative. I have the D9200 in my main cabinet, and the
> 27" Makvision Tri-Mode in the other, the only real difference is the Makvision is
> flatter, while it's not LCD flat, it's still noticeably flatter than the WG

And that's generally considered to be a liability for MAME cabinets, given the amount of work that's gone into trying to introduce fake geometric distortion into perfectly good LCDs ;-) Everyone loves the "fishbowl" effect.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 4624