View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM

Virtual Jaguar vs. Project Tempest
#282516 - 04/14/12 05:26 AM

I've always wanted to check out Atari Jaguar. When I was a kid, it was the one game console that was the most expensive, that had the best graphics, and not a single person I knew owned one. And then it died quickly and was forgotten about before I ever got a chance to see it in action.

So now I want to check it out since I never got a chance to when I was younger. After doing some research, I've read that most people prefer "Virtual Jaguar" rather than "Project Tempest" as their emulator of choice.

So is it true that the best Atari Jaguar emulator "Virtual Jaguar"?

If so, is there any need to download "Project Tempest" as well? Meaning, is there any particular reason or game that "Project Tempest" should be used instead of "Virtual Jaguar"? Any things "Project Tempest" can do that "Virtual Jaguar" can't?

ReyVGM
Game Endings Master
Reged: 03/27/06
Send PM

Re: Virtual Jaguar vs. Project Tempest new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#282541 - 04/14/12 10:07 AM

> I've always wanted to check out Atari Jaguar. When I was a kid, it was the one game
> console that was the most expensive, that had the best graphics, and not a single
> person I knew owned one. And then it died quickly and was forgotten about before I
> ever got a chance to see it in action.
>

It absolutely did not have the best graphics. Maybe magazine screenshots gave that impression, but most of the games did not look better that the average SNES game.

> So now I want to check it out since I never got a chance to when I was younger. After
> doing some research, I've read that most people prefer "Virtual Jaguar" rather than
> "Project Tempest" as their emulator of choice.
>
> So is it true that the best Atari Jaguar emulator "Virtual Jaguar"?
>
> If so, is there any need to download "Project Tempest" as well? Meaning, is there any
> particular reason or game that "Project Tempest" should be used instead of "Virtual
> Jaguar"? Any things "Project Tempest" can do that "Virtual Jaguar" can't?

You ask too many questions. Just download them both.

RetroRepair
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/21/09
Send PM

Re: Virtual Jaguar vs. Project Tempest new [Re: ReyVGM]
#282542 - 04/14/12 10:30 AM

Sorry but if you think Doom looked the same on the SNES you have been smoking something dodgy.

I got a 32x when I was a kid and it was ok but then I traded it for a Jag + 5 games and could not believe my luck. It was about 3-4 years old by then too.

It's a shame it had such poor support, it was a fantastic system.

To answer the question, I think VJ will be your best bet. I think it's even still in active development. PT has been dead for many years.

http://www.youtube.com/retrorepair

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: Virtual Jaguar vs. Project Tempest new [Re: ReyVGM]
#282547 - 04/14/12 01:56 PM

We know it wasn't a true 64-bit. But regardless, it still had better graphic capabilities than the SNES. Hypothetically, even if a game looked 2% better on the Jaguar... it still looked better. So I think it's safer to say that the Jaguar had better graphics, than saying that the SNES had better graphics. And there was some games that clearly looked better on the Jaguar... such as Doom.

Well, I downloaded both Virtual Jaguar and Project Tempest. Virtual Jaguar ran too slow on my P4, 3.0ghz. But most of all, it didn't let me configure my USB Gamepad. It didn't recognize it. And my USB Gamepad gets recognized by every emulator I've ever tried it out on. So just because of that factor, I can't use Virtual Jaguar because I refuse to use my keyboard.

As for Project Tempest, it ran more quickly than VJ, but it has very low compatibility. Not really worth it.

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to hold off to play Atari Jaguar until the emulators get better (or until I get a faster computer.)

mesk
@ the arcade
Reged: 03/03/11
Loc: Rhode Island
Send PM

#282553 - 04/14/12 04:44 PM

Thats because it doesnt have controller support yet,you have to use xpadder.But Vjag wont run on a p4,and project tempest supports about 3 games so Jaguar emulation is still in its infancy.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#282569 - 04/14/12 08:07 PM

> Well, I downloaded both Virtual Jaguar and Project Tempest. Virtual Jaguar ran too
> slow on my P4, 3.0ghz. But most of all, it didn't let me configure my USB Gamepad. It
> didn't recognize it. And my USB Gamepad gets recognized by every emulator I've ever
> tried it out on. So just because of that factor, I can't use Virtual Jaguar because I
> refuse to use my keyboard.

Unless your gamepad has a numeric keypad on it, you'll have a hard time using it as a Jaguar controller.

mesk
@ the arcade
Reged: 03/03/11
Loc: Rhode Island
Send PM

Re: Virtual Jaguar vs. Project Tempest new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#282575 - 04/14/12 08:58 PM

>
> Unless your gamepad has a numeric keypad on it, you'll have a hard time using it as a
> Jaguar controller.

Not many games needed more then the 3 main buttons,and of course then they released the pro controllerwhich added 3 more buttons and L\R triggers,but by that time it was all but over for the Jaguar.

And that was a shame,I would have liked to see some later gen Jaguar games when developers figured out how to squeeze the max from it.Thanks to Jack Tramiel & his idiot son

http://www.atariage.com/controller_page.html?SystemID=JAGUAR&ControllerID=20

RetroRepair
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/21/09
Send PM

Re: Virtual Jaguar vs. Project Tempest new [Re: mesk]
#282584 - 04/14/12 10:48 PM

Isn't MESS capable of playing Jag games yet? They run ok in MAME so it'd follow that it does (though maybe with timing issues).

It'd be fairly optimistic to get it running nicely on a P4 though.

http://www.youtube.com/retrorepair

jumpmaniac81
Donkey Kong Maniac
Reged: 10/13/10
Loc: N.J.
Send PM

#282585 - 04/14/12 11:57 PM

I was one of the victims at launch who bought that piece of crap. It ruined my belief in future gaming for awhile until
Playstation 2 was launched.The Jaguar could have been a top contender if they used their heads instead of their pride. As far as emulation goes there is NOTHING like the real machine.I believe every emulator has hiccups and bugs. So in all honesty to your question which one is better I believe its the one thats more accurate for your situation.

Edited by JumpManiac81 (04/14/12 11:59 PM)

I’m convinced Mario is a hobo.
He wakes up everyday in the same clothes, runs around in sewers, and collects coins for a living.
At the end of the day, he uses the coins to buy mushrooms

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

#282614 - 04/15/12 09:13 AM

>
> If so, is there any need to download "Project Tempest" as well? Meaning, is there any
> particular reason or game that "Project Tempest" should be used instead of "Virtual
> Jaguar"? Any things "Project Tempest" can do that "Virtual Jaguar" can't?

There's also Jagulator, and MESS.
You could give them a try.

Take note that some of the emulators use .j64 as the file extension, while others use .jag

etabeta
Reged: 08/25/04
Send PM

Re: Virtual Jaguar vs. Project Tempest new [Re: RetroRepair]
#282617 - 04/15/12 09:45 AM

> Isn't MESS capable of playing Jag games yet? They run ok in MAME so it'd follow that
> it does (though maybe with timing issues).

nope. the arcade games using cojag hardware (which is the jaguar-based hardware) use very few of the feature of the jaguar.

as such, the home console is a completely different beast emulation-wise

that said, a few games are playable in MESS, while most aren't (yet)

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: Virtual Jaguar vs. Project Tempest new [Re: Robbbert]
#282619 - 04/15/12 10:14 AM

By the way Robbbert...

Your avatar fits your title (MESSing around) perfectly. Nice.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 5957