MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Hannes
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/08/12
Send PM

M.A.M.E.-CONTROL: 2 LENKRÄDER AUF 1 SCREEN???
#285470 - 05/08/12 01:45 AM

Hallo Leute:

Ein paar Freunde und ich wollen ein paar MAME´s bauen und für die Planung haben wir ein paar Fragen.

Zuerst die Fakten, ich habe vor einen Laptop mit
Pentium 4 -
3,06Ghz
2GB RAM
ATI Mobility Readon 9700 Grafikkarte mit
S-Video-Ausgangzu benutzen.
Sollte für alte MAME-Spiele von den 70´ bis einige weniger aus den 90´Jahren ausreichend sein denke ich.

Bildausgabe soll über einen 70cm 100Hz Röhren-TV via S-Videokabel erfolgen. Monitor oder LCD-Display mag ich nicht wegen dem Originalfeeling.

Die Fragen wären fürs Erste:

Wieviele Knöpfe macht man jetzt? 6, 7 oder 8 und bei 7, warum ist bei manchen ein Knopf gleich neben dem Joystick so nach unten verstetzt wie zb hier:

http://www.google.at/imgres?um=1&hl=...x=126&ty=95

Und wenn wir schon bei dem Bild sind, was sind die ganzen anderen Knöpfe? Ich hab schon geschnallt dass man Player-Knöpfe braucht ( der Anzahl der Joysticks entsprechend) und Coin-Buttons um dem Spiel vorzugaukeln dass eine Münze eingeworfen wurde und so der Credit nach oben geht.
Aber auf diesem Bild ist eben noch ein dritter Joystick und noch X andere Knöpfe. Ich wüsste gerne wieviele Knöpfe ich nun wirklich brauche.

BZW, wenn ich mit dem I-Pack arbeite, was mir sehr praktisch vorkommt, wo soll ich die ganzen Extrasachen anhängen???

Ok, Trackball geht glaub ich über USB aber zb der Zusatzstick...wofür er auch immer sein mag bzw die ganzen Knöpfe für das Gleiche gilt....

Ich will außer den Joystick-Plätzen noch ein Trackball, einen Spinner (für so Arkanoid-Zeugs und so) und ein Lenkrad.

Hoffe da könnt ihr mir etwas helfen.

PS.: Ach ja, und das Wichtigste.... gibt es Games welche Dual-Steeringwheels oder Dual-Spinner unterstützen?

Vor allem 2 Lenkräder wären schweinsgeil. Ich glaub das gabs bei diesem alten Spiel wo man die Autos aus der Vogelperspektive sieht und einen Kurs am Bildschirm nachfahren muss.

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

Re: M.A.M.E.-CONTROL: 2 LENKRÄDER AUF 1 SCREEN??? new [Re: Hannes]
#285522 - 05/08/12 08:36 AM

While I can't write in German, I can attempt to get you some useful information.

Games like Street Fighter 2 use a 3x2 arrangement like this:
ooo
ooo

However, Neo Geo games use a four button arrangement like one of these two:
oo
oo
- or -
oooo

This leads to a general concept that a typical "best compromise" is a 4x2 arrangement like:
oooo
oooo

This lets you have buttons in good places for most any game.

As for why the one button seems offcenter on the one cabinet you linked, look at this image and think about how your right hand fits over the buttons:
_ooo
oooo

You'll notice that the first finger is a bit shorter, so actually bringing the button down a hair makes it a bit more comfortable for some people. Thus:
_ooo
_ooo
o

As for why the third joystick, there's about a 99.9% chance that that third stick is a four-way joystick. Games like Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter 2, Gradius, and so forth are fine with 8-way sticks and in fact DEMAND them. That's a large chunk of the collection.

However, there are a number of games that used four-way sticks in the arcade. These games react in unpredictable and potentially frustrating ways when a diagonal is hit on an 8-way stick. Games in this category include Donkey Kong, Pac-Man, and Dig Dug as examples.

You asked if games have multiple wheels or spinners? The answer is yes. Some racing games (Pole Position) used spinners instead of wheels, firstly. Now take a look at this photo of Super Sprint: http://www.premier-md.com/images/Arcade/Super%20Sprint/SuperSprint_Front_1.JPG

That'd be three spinners.

Additionally, you may want more buttons to actually control your front end beyond simple coin-up. You may want volume adjustments, MAME slider control, game selection buttons, exit (you may wish to protect this from accidental press!) and so on.

I can't speak much to your video choices, though, maybe someone else here could help. I hope this helps you.

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

Re: M.A.M.E.-CONTROL: 2 LENKRÄDER AUF 1 SCREEN??? new [Re: Firehawke]
#285590 - 05/08/12 10:12 PM

> Games like Street Fighter 2 use a 3x2 arrangement like this:
> ooo
> ooo
>
> However, Neo Geo games use a four button arrangement like one of these two:
> oo
> oo
> - or -
> oooo
>
> This leads to a general concept that a typical "best compromise" is a 4x2 arrangement
> like:
> oooo
> oooo
>
> This lets you have buttons in good places for most any game.

Bah. People just don't have enough gumption to set configurations that are different than what they experienced. 3x3 is plenty.

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

Re: M.A.M.E.-CONTROL: 2 LENKRÄDER AUF 1 SCREEN??? new [Re: mogli]
#285597 - 05/08/12 10:30 PM

At least in my case, I have other practical reasons for it, like doing a bit more than just arcade from my control panel. There's always TurboGrafx-16, SNES, Genesis, NES, and so forth-- those extra two buttons beyond a 3x2 get quite a bit of use.

Hell, don't even get me started on PlayChoice-10.

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

Hannes
MAME Fan
Send PM

2 STEERING WHEELS ON 1 SCREEN??? new [Re: Firehawke]
#286204 - 05/13/12 08:59 PM

Sorry guys....seems like I mistook the forums.
My mistake but very kind of you to try to help even

Ok, here are the text in english:

Hi Folks

Some friends and me want to build M.A.M.E.´s for us and have some questions:

First of all my personal MAME-computer I plan to start with:

Pentium 4 -
3,06Ghz
2GB RAM
ATI Mobility Readon 9700 Grafikkarte including
S-Video-Exit to use with a 100Hz CRT-TV

That device should be good enough for the games of the 70´s to some less of the 90´s like House of the Death, for the rest I have my Xbox 360 on full HD/5.1
But that is another story.

I plan to go with an 70cm, which is an 28"-, Screen on 100Hz, anything against that?

The questions with the buttons are answered already but now that I know there are buttons to control the frontend I wonder, where to connect them. The I-Pac, which I plan to buy, only got the buttons for a 8-Controlbuttons-configeration although I saw 2 further screws named A and B
Are they for additional buttons to controle for example a frontend?

http://www.ultimarc.com/ipac1.html

If the third is for 4-way games like Pacman...how to connect it?
With an further single player Ipac or how do you guys do that?

Trackball and spinners would plug in by USB?

The Super Sprinter-game is exactly the game I tried to explain in german You guys are gooooood.

I am going to connect a grant Steering wheel to a shaft on ball bearings and a spinner on the other side for the real feeling.

http://www.google.at/imgres?um=1&hl=...tx=60&ty=69

That steering wheel is very classic and you get them in literally every possible size from 8,5" over 10" up to the full scale diameter of an classic american car.

Would the MAME-Programm support 2 or even 3 spinners (Steering Wheels), if so I definitely going to reproduce the super Sprinter acarde machine....

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: 2 STEERING WHEELS ON 1 SCREEN??? new [Re: Hannes]
#286306 - 05/14/12 08:59 PM

@Firehawke: oh, I said 3x3. Um, yeah, 3x2 - but yeah I don't do any console stuff.

@Hannes: the current I-PAC has 40 inputs. Ple-nty for all you're needing:

- 2 joysticks = 8
- 3x2 x2 player buttons = 12
- dedicated 4-way = 4
- admin buttons: P1 coin & start, P2 coin & start, pause = 5

Total = 29 (if you wanted dedicated 'start' and 'exit' buttons, as well as more player buttons, you're covered.)

Also note there's only one ground, because the grounds between controls are 'chained'.

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

Hannes
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: 2 STEERING WHEELS ON 1 SCREEN??? new [Re: mogli]
#286751 - 05/17/12 05:06 PM

Thanks....

yes I know about the "Daisy-Chain"-System but thanks for the hint. You can never get to much info

Which Ipac got the 40 terminals? I guess its the I-Pac2.
I plan on a 4-Player-Machine.

I just went to the Ultimarc-Page and counted the Terminals on the Ipac4 (without the grounds), its 55

-4 Sticks 16
-7 Button layout 28
-admin buttons: coin + start P1,2,3 and 4 + pause = 9

is already 54 and I do not have a front end control.

Is that calculation correct or did I mistake something?

Maybe I have to reduce to a 6 button layout, I am not planning on playing 3D-Fighting-Games anyways.

The most modern game would be Street Fighter 5, would it work on a 6 Button-Board?

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

#286826 - 05/18/12 01:24 AM

>
> I just went to the Ultimarc-Page and counted the Terminals on the Ipac4 (without the
> grounds), its 55
>
> -4 Sticks 16
> -7 Button layout 28
> -admin buttons: coin + start P1,2,3 and 4 + pause = 9
>
> is already 54 and I do not have a front end control.
>

I don't play Street Fighter....

FE's are intended to generally be 'cab-friendly', hence you already have controls for them. But....if you want everything spelled out for all who might play it, then I suggest two I-PAC2s .

The Culture

Hannes
MAME Fan
Send PM

#286845 - 05/18/12 02:19 AM

Thats not a bad idea as well....
As for me, I am also not going to do any console stuff. MAME only and also almost only real vintage games except maybe House ich the death and time cop because ich the lightguns

Hannes
MAME Fan
Send PM

#286878 - 05/18/12 03:57 PM Attachment: 154762_3624489444526_1042700387_3335981_1269141447_n.jpg 14 KB (0 downloads)

To the Steeringwheelquestion again....would the MAME-Programm understand/support 2 or even 3 Steeringwheels like the arcade machine?

I found an old Atari Super Sprinter Steeringwheel but if I can go with 2 or even 3 Wheels I am going to order 3 of them:
http://www.google.at/imgres?um=1&hl=...9,r:13,s:0,i:98

Its an real car steeringwheel that is available in different sizes even down to 8,5" diameter. On a 4 Player MAME I could EASILY find place for 3 of them.....

Each wheel connected to a spherically seated shaft that connects to a spinner on the other end.

What do you guys think?

We already made the Grant steering wheel in Solid Works, I attached it.

We are going to draw any part in Solid Works and to set it up virtually.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Edited by Hannes (05/18/12 03:58 PM)

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

#286893 - 05/18/12 08:47 PM

I suggest looking over things at the forums at arcadecontrols.com.

The Culture

Hannes
MAME Fan
Send PM

#287683 - 05/24/12 04:52 PM

Ok, thanks for the hint....

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3543