View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

Wow. Galaxian really sounds good now.
#287653 - 05/24/12 09:35 AM

I mean, I thought it was cool sounding when I found MAME. And it was just a little mono speaker in the side of a cocktail machine I first saw Galaxian on (I hated the game, actually). But damn, the clarity and quality of the sound(s) is just phenomenal. I actually like it now just for that reason.

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Wow. Galaxian really sounds good now. new [Re: mogli]
#287687 - 05/24/12 05:00 PM

> I mean, I thought it was cool sounding when I found MAME. And it was just a little
> mono speaker in the side of a cocktail machine I first saw Galaxian on (I hated the
> game, actually). But damn, the clarity and quality of the sound(s) is just
> phenomenal. I actually like it now just for that reason.

Yeah, for a large percentage of games it's pretty easy to have better speakers and lower-distortion amps connected to MAME than anything that was available in a cabinet. (Some games you miss out on the sub-bass reinforcing qualities of a big honkin' wood cabinet, but it's nothing a subwoofer can't help with).

Of course, sometimes better speakers just reveals how bad the original game sounded rather than bringing out more quality. Pole Position is probably the big example there.

grog
Reged: 09/06/11
Send PM

Re: Wow. Galaxian really sounds good now. new [Re: R. Belmont]
#287705 - 05/24/12 07:58 PM

> Of course, sometimes better speakers just reveals how bad the original game sounded
> rather than bringing out more quality. Pole Position is probably the big example
> there.

i still cant decide if i like the various music in double dragon, or if its all just downright noisy and annoying

(i guess i find that game ok if its not turned up too loud!)

mesk
@ the arcade
Reged: 03/03/11
Loc: Rhode Island
Send PM

Re: Wow. Galaxian really sounds good now. new [Re: grog]
#287706 - 05/24/12 08:14 PM

Galaxian is awesome.Shame it doesnt get the recognition it deserves,mostly because its overshadowed by Galaga

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#287708 - 05/24/12 08:27 PM

> Yeah, for a large percentage of games it's pretty easy to have better speakers and
> lower-distortion amps connected to MAME than anything that was available in a
> cabinet. (Some games you miss out on the sub-bass reinforcing qualities of a big
> honkin' wood cabinet, but it's nothing a subwoofer can't help with).

I've always noticed that Q*Bert in an original cab has a nice, analog crunchiness that's missing on PC speakers. Not sure if it's the speakers or amp in that case, but I've played a number of them, and they all seem to have it. Sadly, it's been 7-8 years now since I've seen a cab that also had a working pinball kicker.

grog
Reged: 09/06/11
Send PM

from Dev's point of view, is Galaxian particularly 'special' in design? new [Re: mesk]
#287709 - 05/24/12 08:27 PM

> Galaxian is awesome

yea, mayb one of the devs can give us some tech titbits about that game? (i heard it doesnt use sprites or something, whats that all about?)

AeroCityMayor
Entity formerly known as alien_mame
Reged: 11/11/03
Loc: Wakefield, West Yorks, UK.
Send PM

#287711 - 05/24/12 08:50 PM

>
> Of course, sometimes better speakers just reveals how bad the original game sounded
> rather than bringing out more quality. Pole Position is probably the big example
> there.

OP = Pole Position WR holder.

Life's like that I s'pose!

Cheers,

Ralph.

Coherance of posts inversely proportional to Foster's consumption!!!

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: from Dev's point of view, is Galaxian particularly 'special' in design? new [Re: grog]
#287714 - 05/24/12 09:01 PM

> > Galaxian is awesome
>
> yea, mayb one of the devs can give us some tech titbits about that game? (i heard it
> doesnt use sprites or something, whats that all about?)

Your ship and the enemy ships waiting at the top are effectively characters that the game scrolls backwards and forwards. The animation of the enemy ships at the top is done by changing the characters.

As soon as an enemy ship attacks the characters are removed and replaced with a sprite that can move independently.

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Wow. Galaxian really sounds good now. new [Re: AeroCityMayor]
#287726 - 05/24/12 10:02 PM

> OP = Pole Position WR holder.
>

Not anymore.

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

#287728 - 05/24/12 10:10 PM

> Of course, sometimes better speakers just reveals how bad the original game sounded rather than bringing out more quality.

I seem to remember the sounds pretty well, and have found that what I thought sounded crappy back then, I still do.

An exception *I think* may be is Reactor. The...guitar....sound was so buzzy back in the day. Now it's not so bad. I'm not sure whether I just thought it was harsh, or the speakers were distorting!

>Pole Position is probably the big example there.

I don't like the emulated sound. It doesn't sound like the machine I played recently, though I'm not sure that's an original board. Soon, I should have this mystery more settled, though......

The Culture

Gyrovision
so many more levels...
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Area 51 Nevada
Send PM

Re: Wow. Galaxian really sounds good now. new [Re: mogli]
#287775 - 05/25/12 05:36 AM

Big thanks to Couriersud for the wonderful discrete sound emulation work back in 0.133. The sound effects up until then were very inaccurate for many years...

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Wow. Galaxian really sounds good now. new [Re: Gyrovision]
#287785 - 05/25/12 06:21 AM

> Big thanks to Couriersud for the wonderful discrete sound emulation work back in
> 0.133. The sound effects up until then were very inaccurate for many years...

Yeah, while I was grumpy about the overall sound in DK emulated sound, I've gotten to fancy it.

The Culture

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1938