View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

MikeJMoffitt
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/29/12
Send PM

Sexy Parodius Bootleg Konami GX found!
#288227 - 05/29/12 11:52 PM

So, long story short, I wound up with an undocumented, undumped "EAA" version of Sexy Parodius running on an odd 2002 FPGA recreation of GX hardware with a terrible audio solution.

Here's a video of it running:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUg5cjwkJko

And an old video where I talk about it (though the video was hooked up incorrectly):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugtUpldW9MQ

I plan on dumping the roms once my dumper arrives. If anyone knows anything about this or has questions (or wants to buy it for development reasons or whatever) shoot me a PM or an email.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Sexy Parodius Bootleg Konami GX found! new [Re: MikeJMoffitt]
#288262 - 05/30/12 08:33 AM

It probably has some hideous protection chip that has to be decapped like on my Ninja Baseball Bat Man bootleg and "Giga Man II" boot. Amazing that bootleggers could do a better job with protection in the 90's with a 5 dollar chip than Taito could 10 years later on Type X etc. Of course now they've enacted the worst form of revenge possible with Nesica.

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

Re: Sexy Parodius Bootleg Konami GX found! new [Re: Smitdogg]
#288324 - 05/31/12 01:01 AM

Amazing that bootleggers could do a
> better job with protection in the 90's with a 5 dollar chip than Taito could 10 years
> later on Type X etc. Of course now they've enacted the worst form of revenge possible
> with Nesica.

Aren't you forgetting a certain Seibu Kaihatsu game whose protection remains unemulated fully?

That certainly wasn't done by bootleggers...

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Sexy Parodius Bootleg Konami GX found! new [Re: Master O]
#288327 - 05/31/12 01:12 AM

No. That doesn't have anything to do with anything I mentioned and cost a whole lot more than $5. Just wanted to take a cheap jab at Taito for Nesica anyhow, which is the worst thing that has ever happened to mame and collectors.

Trebor
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/18/05
Send PM

Re: Sexy Parodius Bootleg Konami GX found! new [Re: Smitdogg]
#288355 - 05/31/12 12:37 PM

> No. That doesn't have anything to do with anything I mentioned and cost a whole lot
> more than $5. Just wanted to take a cheap jab at Taito for Nesica anyhow, which is
> the worst thing that has ever happened to mame and collectors.

*Looks up what the heck is Nesica*

Wow, that just sucks. Unfortunately, the way of the future for gaming (And I fear all media) in general.

Note to the rest of the ignorant (As I was): Developed late in 2010, it allows arcade operators to download games from Taito's central servers instead of buying and loading a physical copy.

DrArcade
AKA Mr. CAST
Reged: 03/27/12
Loc: Latin America
Send PM

NESiCA new [Re: Trebor]
#288370 - 05/31/12 04:29 PM

NESiCA doesn't seem like it would be that difficult to crack, once someone puts their mind to it, and has the resources they need.

I think the underlying problem would be how important points/player rankings are. Although that would seem like a more trivial aspect to emulate/duplicate (on a private server) or in a local file state.

The sad part for MAME would be them wanting to resurrect ALL their old titles and put it on the NESiCA platform. Space Invaders for example.

Mr. CAST

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: NESiCA new [Re: DrArcade]
#288380 - 05/31/12 06:11 PM

Seems to be only for Japan game centers and needs a Japan IP address connected (according to rumors). I can tell you that current Japanese arcade ops are the last people in the world who would ever dump/crack/share the games and chances are we will never get them.

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Send PM

Re: NESiCA new [Re: Smitdogg]
#288428 - 06/01/12 05:26 AM

> Seems to be only for Japan game centers and needs a Japan IP address connected
> (according to rumors). I can tell you that current Japanese arcade ops are the last
> people in the world who would ever dump/crack/share the games and chances are we will
> never get them.

That seems a bit pessimistic. Mamedev has managed to emulate many games before, regardless of the barriers put in front of it, so cracking these games can't be impossible.

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: NESiCA new [Re: Master O]
#288429 - 06/01/12 05:34 AM

I'm sure there is a mamedev capable of bypassing an IP check in emulation if that is really what you are talking about. But we won't have the software in the first place to crack. The games that have already gone through it and are no longer being run are gone forever short of Taito handing them over. There is only digital distribution of the program and games to Japanese game centers over the web. So, to their hard drives and eventually deleted/replaced with new games. No incentive to back them up either, at all.

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Send PM

#288430 - 06/01/12 05:44 AM

> I'm sure there is a mamedev capable of bypassing an IP check in emulation if that is
> really what you are talking about. But we won't have the software in the first place
> to crack. The games that have already gone through it and are no longer being run are
> gone forever short of Taito handing them over. There is only digital distribution of
> the program and games to Japanese game centers over the web. So, to their hard drives
> and eventually deleted/replaced with new games. No incentive to back them up either,
> at all.

Maybe that system should be renamed "Taito Arcade Skynetto," in terms of all that centralized control.

"Note to Noobs:

C.D.~"

DrArcade
AKA Mr. CAST
Reged: 03/27/12
Loc: Latin America
Send PM

#288465 - 06/01/12 06:57 PM

> I'm sure there is a mamedev capable of bypassing an IP check in emulation if that is
> really what you are talking about. But we won't have the software in the first place
> to crack. The games that have already gone through it and are no longer being run are
> gone forever short of Taito handing them over. There is only digital distribution of
> the program and games to Japanese game centers over the web. So, to their hard drives
> and eventually deleted/replaced with new games. No incentive to back them up either,
> at all.

Do you know if the Library of games is available to the arcade operator that has NESiCA live? Meaning say the machine is running game, X, can you reload and older game from the library at will?

Do you have any idea what the arcade pays for the machine? and game costs? How many games the machine holds at a given time? and what the proceedure is for loading new games?

Mr. CAST

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: NESiCA new [Re: DrArcade]
#288466 - 06/01/12 06:59 PM

I don't have solid information on any of that but a hard drive can only hold so many games. I've heard they don't pay upfront and when money is inserted some goes to Taito and some to the house.

RetroRepair
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/21/09
Send PM

Re: Sexy Parodius Bootleg Konami GX found! new [Re: MikeJMoffitt]
#288606 - 06/03/12 07:12 PM

Surely it'd be worthwhile securing a dump of this? I've never seen a GX bootleg and it'd be useful to at least have it documented to hopefully aid in repairing GX boards.

Edited by RetroRepair (06/03/12 07:23 PM)

http://www.youtube.com/retrorepair

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Sexy Parodius Bootleg Konami GX found! new [Re: RetroRepair]
#288642 - 06/04/12 02:56 AM

Re: the dumping discussion on YT, if we're talking common eprom chips (looks like most or all are) that the programmer supports directly then reading them out 3 times each with consistent crcs is good enough to assume they are good. If any are an unlabeled mask rom then it's not as simple but someone could probably look at the dump before he sells it.

If the programmer is a Willem though then just take a hammer to it.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 5801