MAMEWorld >> Programming
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Jayme65
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/22/06
Send PM

Frontend database for other emulator than mame
#288384 - 05/31/12 08:05 PM

Hi,

If you wanted to program a frontend for mame, you would use the database that mame can generate by itself to collect the whole game(rom) list...but what about other emulated console?

Is there a database available for each of those platform?
Is there a database available for NES, SNES, C64,...?

And if not, how could one do to get the whole game list for those console? Is it possible or would you just browse the rom folder and only collect the existing games available in that folder?

Hope that I'm clear, english isn't my mother tongue ;-)

Thanks very much by advance for any kind help on that topic!!

Bryan Ischo
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/28/10
Send PM

Re: Frontend database for other emulator than mame new [Re: Jayme65]
#288399 - 06/01/12 12:06 AM

That is a good question.

I expect that for some systems, such as consoles, the list of known games is fairly complete, but probably not built into any emulator in a meaningful way.

I would think that you would have to scan the set of disk/tape/cartridge/ROM/whatever images available to the emulator to know what games can be played.

MAME is somewhat unique in that it has built-in knowledge of every game that it is capable of emulating, and can report that in an ingestible way.

Bryan Ischo
MAME Fan
Send PM

#288400 - 06/01/12 12:09 AM

By the way, a quick google search on "database of known nes games" found a supposedly complete list at:

http://nestalgiaswarpzone.tripod.com/id5.html

I expect that if such a list exists for other platforms, it should be similarly easy to find.

That being said, I don't think any emulators have this list built-in or are able to report it in an ingestible way the way MAME can.

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: Frontend database for other emulator than mame new [Re: Bryan Ischo]
#288401 - 06/01/12 01:10 AM

> By the way, a quick google search on "database of known nes games" found a supposedly
> complete list at:
>
> http://nestalgiaswarpzone.tripod.com/id5.html
>
> I expect that if such a list exists for other platforms, it should be similarly easy
> to find.
>
> That being said, I don't think any emulators have this list built-in or are able to
> report it in an ingestible way the way MAME can.

MESS has been attempting over the last 2 years to maintain and create "software lists" for its numerous consoles, computers, etc. Unlike MAME, however, they use an external approach (via formatted XML files) which in giving them a 'set' list of games, also allows the user to add whatever they wish to the list if desired without adjusting the binary. Of course, MESS will always support non-list items and are added to a device just like MESS has always done it (-cart, -cass, -flop, -hard, -cdrom and more).

The criteria for inclusion on officially maintained software lists is always under much debate. In general, however, the rule is only officially released titles are those which fall under the primary documentation goal. That is not to say that older systems will not contain homebrew/recreations which were developed decades after the system died commercially which is the case for many older consoles (generally pre-nintendo).

etabeta
Reged: 08/25/04
Send PM

#288437 - 06/01/12 07:14 AM

> MAME is somewhat unique in that it has built-in knowledge of every game that it is
> capable of emulating, and can report that in an ingestible way.

As Tafoid pointed out, MESS software lists do the same for consoles and many (but not all yet) computers

Bryan Ischo
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Frontend database for other emulator than mame new [Re: etabeta]
#288462 - 06/01/12 06:31 PM

> > MAME is somewhat unique in that it has built-in knowledge of every game that it is
> > capable of emulating, and can report that in an ingestible way.
>
> As Tafoid pointed out, MESS software lists do the same for consoles and many (but not
> all yet) computers

Thank you for the clarification. I often mean MESS & MAME when I talk about just MAME since they share the same code base, but I should be more explicit.

etabeta
Reged: 08/25/04
Send PM

#288464 - 06/01/12 06:53 PM

what I meant is that the previous statement

>I expect that for some systems, such as consoles, the list of known games is fairly complete,
> but probably not built into any emulator in a meaningful way.

is incorrect, because MESS has such a list available in form of softlists (e.g. if you unzip the latest release and launch "mess -listsoftware" )

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#288478 - 06/01/12 10:11 PM

> Hi,
>
> If you wanted to program a frontend for mame, you would use the database that mame
> can generate by itself to collect the whole game(rom) list...but what about other
> emulated console?
>
> Is there a database available for each of those platform?
> Is there a database available for NES, SNES, C64,...?

There is no "master database", but big-name ROM sites generally supply ClrMAMEPro-format "dat files" cataloging everything they have for each system. You could do much, much worse than support that in a front end.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Programming
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Pi 
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2622