MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Javier Emilio
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/30/12
Send PM

(WANTED) Pentium PC emulator with ET4000AX, i430FX chipset, Sound Blaster 16 and NE2000
#290610 - 07/01/12 01:39 AM

I'm tired of searching all the Web.
Can anybody please help me out?

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Not this again new [Re: Javier Emilio]
#290622 - 07/01/12 02:45 AM

> I'm tired of searching all the Web.
> Can anybody please help me out?

What's wrong with the many available PC emulators?

What is it that you want to do that can only be done with that particular hardware configuration?

Please don't be predictable and say something like "I want to run Windows 3.0 in true color mode".

S

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

Re: (WANTED) Pentium PC emulator with ET4000AX, i430FX chipset, Sound Blaster 16 and NE2000 new [Re: Javier Emilio]
#290625 - 07/01/12 03:16 AM

DOSBox... ...but, You knew that, aren't You ?

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

Re: Not this again new [Re: Sune]
#290630 - 07/01/12 04:21 AM

The ET4000AX would be a pre-acceleration-era ISA/VLB card, and the 430FX chipset was a rather early Intel Pentium MMX chipset.

There's nothing special in this, really. There's nothing the 430FX provides that would be directly specifically needed by normal PC software-- I can come up with one specific case, but I'll talk about that after I'm done here-- and the ET4000 is one of a dozen videocards of that era. I can't think of anything it would do that you couldn't do with DOSBOX's emulation.

About the only thing I could come up with would be some sort of very specific arcade hardware using that exact combination, but I'm not aware of anything like that.

DOSBOX is the answer, period.

(And in the interest of sharing research, I found THIS post during the process of digging. Things that make you go Hmmmmm.." indeed.. http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php...amp;atid=362580)

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

Javier Emilio
MAME Fan
Send PM

#290642 - 07/01/12 05:32 AM

> > I'm tired of searching all the Web.
> > Can anybody please help me out?
>
> What's wrong with the many available PC emulators?
>
> What is it that you want to do that can only be done with that particular hardware
> configuration?
>
> Please don't be predictable and say something like "I want to run Windows 3.1 in
> 24-bit color".
>
> S
Well, it's because I have an Award BIOS image.

Sune
Connected
Send PM

Re: Not this again new [Re: Javier Emilio]
#290648 - 07/01/12 06:52 AM

> > > I'm tired of searching all the Web.
> > > Can anybody please help me out?

> > What is it that you want to do that can only be done with that particular hardware
> > configuration?

> Well, it's because I have an Award BIOS image.

But the question still stands, what do you want to do with it?

Once the emulated PC is running an OS, it won't make any difference what BIOS it's using.

If you are sexually aroused by AWARD BIOSes, load it up in one of the many available BIOS editors and pretend you're a digital gynecologist..

S

Sune
Connected
Send PM

Re: Not this again new [Re: Firehawke]
#290654 - 07/01/12 08:33 AM

> About the only thing I could come up with would be some sort of very specific arcade
> hardware using that exact combination, but I'm not aware of anything like that.

It's an unlikely combination to begin with.

The ET4000AX is from 1989 and the 430FX "Triton" chipset is from 1995.

430FX is before my time (my first PC had the 440BX chipset) but from what I've just read, it was designed for use with 3rd gen Pentiums and had PCI 2.0 support. VLB slots on a Triton motherboard doesn't make any sense, it's backwards.
Never mind VLB, apparently there was never a PCI version of the ET4000AX, and pairing an ISA video card with a Pentium CPU seems like something someone would only do in an emergency.

Javier Emilio/Donoso aka "5247846" is aware of DOSBox and MESS, he has posted the same pointless requests before on both the Vogons and Emuversal boards.
He's known for his constant nagging on various retro forums:
http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/member.php?12479-5247846
http://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19344
http://winworldpc.com/winboards/viewtopic.php?t=5651

S

Javier Emilio
MAME Fan
Send PM

#290665 - 07/01/12 04:38 PM

> > > > I'm tired of searching all the Web.
> > > > Can anybody please help me out?
>
> > > What is it that you want to do that can only be done with that particular
> hardware
> > > configuration?
>
> > Well, it's because I have an Award BIOS image.
>
> But the question still stands, what do you want to do with it?
>
> Once the emulated PC is running an OS, it won't make any difference what BIOS it's
> using.
>
> If you are sexually aroused by AWARD BIOSes, load it up in one of the many available
> BIOS editors and pretend you're a digital gynecologist..
>
> S
Well, I want to emulate it.

Sune
Connected
Send PM

#290667 - 07/01/12 05:19 PM

> > > Well, it's because I have an Award BIOS image.
> >
> > But the question still stands, what do you want to do with it?
>
> Well, I want to emulate it.

Developers emulate, users use. You're not a developer.

You're avoiding my question. Please explain to me what you're going to do when you have the BIOS running in an emulator. Absolutely nothing, right?

S

Javier Emilio
MAME Fan
Send PM

#290671 - 07/01/12 07:57 PM

> > > > Well, it's because I have an Award BIOS image.
> > >
> > > But the question still stands, what do you want to do with it?
> >
> > Well, I want to emulate it.
>
>
> Developers emulate, users use. You're not a developer.
>
> You're avoiding my question. Please explain to me what you're going to do when you
> have the BIOS running in an emulator. Absolutely nothing, right?
>
> S
I mean, to use it.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#290672 - 07/01/12 08:14 PM

> I mean, to use it.

What does having those components emulated allow you to do that other emulators can't provide?

I have two thoughts on the matter:
1. You plan to emulate the computer of your childhood, which for you is this Pentium PC. You may even have a hard drive image of that PC with the drivers loaded for the hardware you keep asking about. You understand that if you loaded the image in another emulator, it could BSOD or cause data corruption with different hardware. So this is why you want this specific hardware emulated.

2. There's an arcade game out there that is PC based and uses these components. You need these components emulated so you can resurrect the game in an emulator.

Are either of these correct? If so, please explain more. If not, please explain why.

- Stiletto

Javier Emilio
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Not this again new [Re: Stiletto]
#290674 - 07/01/12 08:24 PM

> > I mean, to use it.
>
> What does having those components emulated allow you to do that other emulators can't
> provide?
>
> I have two thoughts on the matter:
> 1. You plan to emulate the computer of your childhood, which for you is this Pentium
> PC. You may even have a hard drive image of that PC with the drivers loaded for the
> hardware you keep asking about. You understand that if you loaded the image in
> another emulator, it could BSOD or cause data corruption with different hardware. So
> this is why you want this specific hardware emulated.
>
> 2. There's an arcade game out there that is PC based and uses these components. You
> need these components emulated so you can resurrect the game in an emulator.
>
> Are either of these correct? If so, please explain more. If not, please explain why.
>
> - Stiletto
I'm planning to emulate a computer of my childhood.
PS: My favorite Pentium processor is the 133MHz one.

ReadOnly
MESSfan
Reged: 10/24/10
Loc: Paris La Défense
Send PM

Re: (WANTED) 20 Carat White D Flawless Diamond for 10K -nt- new [Re: Javier Emilio]
#290677 - 07/01/12 08:55 PM

redk9258
Regular
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

#290678 - 07/01/12 09:35 PM

I am able to restore a Ghost image of my PC from 2001 in Virtual PC and run Windows setup repair on it to redetect the hardware. It works pretty good. Even MAME32 works.

zambr
MAME Fanatic
Reged: 04/12/09
Send PM

will things like DOSbox mount command make it in MESS one day new [Re: Javier Emilio]
#290680 - 07/01/12 10:06 PM

Going off topic, when it gets to the stage where the at386 to at586 drivers mature enough, do you think we will see similar useful commands in MESS, like DOSboxes MOUNT command?

Just curious on views / if it had been mentioned / discussed before.

Being able to mount a single folder on your host drive to a virtual drive letter is way cool.

Edited by zambr (07/01/12 10:19 PM)

Sune
Connected
Send PM

#290681 - 07/01/12 10:31 PM

> I'm planning to emulate a computer of my childhood.
> PS: My favorite Pentium processor is the 133MHz one.

As a child, when you were using that computer, surely your user experience was limited to the operating system and the programs and games that were installed on it.

If it was a PC with a Pentium CPU and an ISA video card from 1989, then you'll be able to completely recreate that experience with existing emulators. It is not necessary to have the BIOS or any other ROMs from the computer of your childhood loaded in an emulator to do that.

Do you still have the harddrive?

S

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: will things like DOSbox mount command make it in MESS one day new [Re: zambr]
#290682 - 07/01/12 10:33 PM

> Being able to mount a single folder on your host drive to a virtual drive letter is
> way cool.

MESS supports the NE2000 Ethernet card; if you can get some sort of filesharing going with that (under DOS, I guess you'd use NetWare?) you're good to go.

Javier Emilio
MAME Fan
Send PM

#290688 - 07/02/12 12:27 AM

> > I'm planning to emulate a computer of my childhood.
> > PS: My favorite Pentium processor is the 133MHz one.
>
> As a child, when you were using that computer, surely your user experience was
> limited to the operating system and the programs and games that were installed on it.
>
>
> If it was a PC with a Pentium CPU and an ISA video card from 1989, then you'll be
> able to completely recreate that experience with existing emulators. It is not
> necessary to have the BIOS or any other ROMs from the computer of your childhood
> loaded in an emulator to do that.
>
> Do you still have the harddrive?
>
> S
I no longer have the hard drive.

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Send PM

#290697 - 07/02/12 03:08 AM

Oh, that's _him_? If I'd known, I would have not even bothered answering. I need to make a file of known aliases or something. I keep getting suckered into trying to help people who are well beyond help.

---

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Send PM

Re: will things like DOSbox mount command make it in MESS one day new [Re: zambr]
#290698 - 07/02/12 03:18 AM

You're not going to see that sort of thing, because it's something that takes away from the correctness of the emulation. It's the difference between DOSBOX and MESS---

DOSBox is an emulator designed for maximum playability in playing old games.

MESS is an emulator designed for as-precise emulation of the original hardware (and add-ons) as possible. (Just like MESS)

Features of DOSBox are to be as convenient as possible, whereas MESS has to be strictly limited to emulated hardware and software that the original hardware could deal with. Since MS-DOS machines of the era couldn't mount drives except via NetWare, you could PROBABLY get a NetWare network working in MESS as RB states.

---

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: Not this again new [Re: Firehawke]
#290802 - 07/03/12 03:09 AM

Actually there is a perfectly good question to use real hardware versus emulation. About five years ago we had some custom software that ran a diagnostic and simulation of freezer systems. This ran on a old 8088.

We decided to junk the 8088 (it died, thank God) and just run the software on an emulator (Virtual PC). The software failed to run properly. Before you ask - no it wasn't due to software transfer. We tried other emulators to no avail.

So there you go. Sometimes you just need the real deal.

Matty_
Part-time troll
Reged: 01/25/08
Send PM

Re: Not this again new [Re: ]
#290813 - 07/03/12 06:07 AM

> We decided to junk the 8088 (it died, thank God) and just run the software on an
> emulator (Virtual PC). The software failed to run properly. Before you ask - no it
> wasn't due to software transfer. We tried other emulators to no avail.

Maybe you should just not depend on a piece of unmaintained software that requires virtually irreplaceable hardware.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: Not this again new [Re: Matty_]
#290854 - 07/03/12 08:17 PM

I agree. We used the software like twice a year, if that, for obsolete freezer refurbishment. It was just an example of hardware requirement versus emulation.

Just curious does DosBox have RLL and MFM emulation?

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Not this again new [Re: ]
#290857 - 07/03/12 09:14 PM

> I agree. We used the software like twice a year, if that, for obsolete freezer
> refurbishment. It was just an example of hardware requirement versus emulation.
>
> Just curious does DosBox have RLL and MFM emulation?

DOSBox targets 486/Pentium class machines, which given their heavy gaming focus is probably right on. So no, no RLL or MFM HDDs.

Vatican Knight
Faith, Honor, Respect
Reged: 06/13/12
Send PM

#290889 - 07/04/12 07:58 AM

Quote:

You're avoiding my question. Please explain to me what you're going to do when you have the BIOS running in an emulator. Absolutely nothing, right?

After he continued to ignore and avoid your question time after time, I would have just ignored him. It wasn't until somebody guessed what he wanted to do did he finally answer.

Matty_
Part-time troll
Reged: 01/25/08
Send PM

Re: Not this again new [Re: Vatican Knight]
#290968 - 07/05/12 03:47 AM

> After he continued to ignore and avoid your question time after time, I would have
> just ignored him. It wasn't until somebody guessed what he wanted to do did he
> finally answer.

People should ignore you because you're a reincarnation of the hated OldSchoolGamer.

Sune
Connected
Send PM

Re: Not this again new [Re: Vatican Knight]
#291015 - 07/06/12 02:30 AM

> After he continued to ignore and avoid your question time after time, I would have
> just ignored him. It wasn't until somebody guessed what he wanted to do did he
> finally answer.

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep that in mind from now on when I decide how to waste my time.

S

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2572