MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

DU Update: More cheese than a mouse. More itch than a louse. Look what the postman dropped off at the hizzouse.
#292553 - 07/24/12 09:41 PM

We got what is for certain the cheesiest game I've ever bought, maybe the cheese of all time. There are mice at my door on account of they smelled the pcb. Don't ask me why it itches like a louse. It just does. We got, well it's cheese even in the title, Trivia R Us. It looks a bit interesting despite the cheese. It's a trivia game running on a cherrymaster style board, which works out since cherry master button layouts could convert pretty well to trivia games. Additionally the board can switch between using buttons or a touch screen. Pretty cool. I thought it was old because the price was super cheap but apparently it's from 2009.

http://smitdogg.mameworld.info/pics/triviarus.jpg

Bekki Doll
A cynical yet secular shiny retrogamer, thread ressurector and fan of the word "gay".
Reged: 01/28/12
Loc: Freeport, PA
Send PM

Investigating AGT, Inc... new [Re: Smitdogg]
#292555 - 07/24/12 10:38 PM

About the closest thing I can find to manufacturer info on AGT is this link. I've also found an old RePlay Magazine with a mention of AGT within their directory.

Was there any other documentation with the board or any displayed contact info within the game?

--Bekki (Trivia Addict)

Combating functional illiteracy with latex-clad drama since the '80s, because old video games rule!

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Investigating AGT, Inc... new [Re: Bekki Doll]
#292556 - 07/24/12 10:43 PM

I found their website earlier. They make mostly gamblers as expected and they sell their own junk as well as other companies'.

http://www.agtglobal.com/

Bekki Doll
A cynical yet secular shiny retrogamer, thread ressurector and fan of the word "gay".
Send PM

Re: Investigating AGT, Inc... new [Re: Smitdogg]
#292557 - 07/24/12 11:18 PM

Quote:

I found their website earlier. They make mostly gamblers as expected and they sell their own junk as well as other companies'.

Interesting. So it looks like AGT tried trivia games but got out of that very fast. I couldn't find any other trivia games there. I could be wrong.

--Bekki

Combating functional illiteracy with latex-clad drama since the '80s, because old video games rule!

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Investigating AGT, Inc... new [Re: Bekki Doll]
#292558 - 07/24/12 11:25 PM

I'd guess that this was the only trivia game they made, maybe not though. It would have been really inexpensive to make since they already had the hardware made and experience programming for it. I don't recall ever seeing another trivia game on a cherrymaster board. It's definitely more interesting than another liner game.

Lewis King
Reged: 12/25/11
Send PM

#292565 - 07/25/12 12:50 AM

Even the chip is red, very rare.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

Re: Investigating AGT, Inc... new [Re: Lewis King]
#292567 - 07/25/12 02:30 AM

> Even the chip is red, very rare.

Just to note the chips are either black or dark gray. What you mean is the PCB (Printed Cicuit Board or simply called "board") is red. Brings memories about the worst motherboards a cheap PC can get: PC-Chips. However red motherboards are not exclusive from a few brands.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Re: Investigating AGT, Inc... new [Re: BIOS-D]
#292574 - 07/25/12 04:22 AM

> > Even the chip is red, very rare.
>
> Just to note the chips are either black or dark gray. What you mean is the PCB
> (Printed Cicuit Board or simply called "board") is red. Brings memories about the
> worst motherboards a cheap PC can get: PC-Chips. However red motherboards are not
> exclusive from a few brands.

Oh god. My first computer had a PCChips motherboard. I still have nightmares...

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

Re: Investigating AGT, Inc... new [Re: Foxhack]
#292575 - 07/25/12 05:25 AM

> Oh god. My first computer had a PCChips motherboard. I still have nightmares...

Tell me about it, I fix PCs. It was a pain to make them work properly after a new Service Pack, let alone to find the drivers at the manufacturer homepage.

For the record, right now I'm fixing a PC with a ECS purple motherboard and my current i5-2300 machine has a Gigabyte blue board. They're only board colors, nothing out of the ordinary.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#292579 - 07/25/12 12:30 PM

> Oh god. My first computer had a PCChips motherboard. I still have nightmares...

One of these? http://redhill.net.au/b/b-bad.html

JWallace
Steamrollered by cool things, and likes it that way
Reged: 09/22/03
Send PM

#292584 - 07/25/12 03:29 PM

Handy to branch out into 'skill' stuff too to make sure you can get revenue from states that can't sell cherry master games.

You see it in the UK now, the 9-liners are ubiquitous, but not every location can house them, so the same hardware is used to hold multiple quiz machines and bowling games etc.

http://agemame.mameworld.info

AGEMAME HQ - was once a thing, now isn't really.

Bekki Doll
Send PM

Re: Investigating AGT, Inc... new [Re: JWallace]
#292629 - 07/26/12 12:56 PM

Quote:

Handy to branch out into 'skill' stuff too to make sure you can get revenue from states that can't sell cherry master games.

It would be a chore to keep having up-to-date trivia ROMs for those machines. There's also the time spent on fact-checking and getting a good solid quantity and mix of questions. The playtesting would be interesting.

--Bekki

jonwil
Lurker
Reged: 10/06/03
Send PM

#292636 - 07/26/12 05:55 PM

After bad experiences in the past with 3rd party hardware (including a 300MHz Cyrix CPU and various motherboards) I now only buy Intel CPUs and Intel motherboards.

Luca Elia
Mame dev
Reged: 10/28/07
Loc: Naples, Italy
Send PM

Re: DU Update: More cheese than a mouse. More itch than a louse. Look what the postman dropped off at the hizzouse. new [Re: Smitdogg]
#347250 - 11/21/15 06:52 PM

Added:

http://www.lucaelia.com/mame.php/2015/Trivia-R-Us

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

*applauds* new [Re: Luca Elia]
#347251 - 11/21/15 07:52 PM

--
>Added: http://www.lucaelia.com/mame.php/2015/Trivia-R-Us

'Trivia R Us was produced in 2009 by AGT (Apollon Global Technologies), a company based in California.'
--

Good work on that item.

--
>from Smit's old post: They make mostly gamblers as expected and they sell their own junk as well as other companies'. http://www.agtglobal.com/
--

Talk about timing. A company that likely no longer exists and finally one of their products is preserved/emulated. At this time, it seems none of their other used-to-be-marketed products are listed in Undumped Wikipedia along with the company name. Maybe there isn't much else that the company originally created themselves.

I do find it interesting when a company that only a few folks (with exception for those in the industry/field service business) are aware of and eventually one of the products and the company name are finally recognized within MAME source for first time ever. That is a company I never heard of before other than from the old thread and I even forgot about that old 2012 thread. I was probably more excited and paying lots more attention about pong being reintroduced into MAME source by couriersud when it was ongoing at the same time during spring/summer 2012.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3735