MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

grog
Reged: 09/06/11
Send PM

Question about using Pentium 4 HT Processor
#295484 - 09/10/12 08:08 PM

im looking to buy a cheap used desktop pc on ebay and notice a lot of them have pentium 4 HT processors in them such as eg. 2.6ghz...

ive been using laptops for years and currently run an intel core 2 duo 2ghz (which im very satisfied with regarding mame performance)

ive really lost touch with desktop pc's. can anyone tell me generally how a 2.6ghz P4 HT will perform using modern mame builds. and what's the 'HT' all about? (if i dont enable multithreading in mame am i losing out a lot in regards to what the processor is capable of?) or to put it another way, is it crazy to have a HT processor and NOT enable multithreading in mame? am i still getting a true 2.6ghz with the P4 HT just using mame 'out of the box'?

in fact, should i even worry about getting a 'HT' processor and instead just get myself any pentium 4 cpu at say 2.8ghz or upwards? (the only thing i plan to do with the desktop is run mame...)

ok, thanks for any advice and sorry for my noobishness in advance, cheers

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Question about using Pentium 4 HT Processor new [Re: grog]
#295487 - 09/10/12 08:24 PM

I would strongly recommend getting an Intel Core-series if you can. Any Pentium 4 will radically underperform on MAME while drawing a lot of power and throwing off a lot of heat (it's why the P4 was killed). If you can't afford any used Core system, an AMD system of the same vintage as the P4s will outperform them and run cooler/quieter.

HT varies by the specific CPU model how well it works; in general it doesn't hurt, but the way MAME uses threads really assumes multiple full-power cores.

grog
Send PM

Re: Question about using Pentium 4 HT Processor new [Re: R. Belmont]
#295500 - 09/10/12 11:46 PM

thanks for that im gonna forget P4 i think then, and stick to eg. intel dual core 2 etc. i notice on ebay something like a 1.8ghz desktop isnt so expensive after all

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#295501 - 09/10/12 11:53 PM

> thanks for that im gonna forget P4 i think then, and stick to eg. intel dual core 2
> etc. i notice on ebay something like a 1.8ghz desktop isnt so expensive after all

A 1.8 GHz Core 2 Duo or Pentium Dual Core is not that much faster than a 2.4GHz Pentium 4 though.
I have a PC here that used to have a 3.4GHz P4 which I replaced with a 1.6GHz Pentium Dual Core. Windows 7 runs better but MAME performance is only slightly faster than it was before.

Try to go past 2GHz at least to get a good speed boost. I saw a used Core 2 Duo E8400 on Amazon US for sixty something dollars the other day. That's a top of the line Core 2 Duo, there are only two models that are faster.

S

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: Question about using Pentium 4 HT Processor new [Re: Sune]
#295510 - 09/11/12 01:07 AM

> I saw a used Core 2 Duo E8400
> on Amazon US for sixty something dollars the other day. That's a top of the line Core
> 2 Duo, there are only two models that are faster.

It seems like grog is interested in buying a pre-built complete desktop unit and not just a CPU.

Sune
Connected
Send PM

Re: Question about using Pentium 4 HT Processor new [Re: B2K24]
#295512 - 09/11/12 01:27 AM

> > I saw a used Core 2 Duo E8400
> > on Amazon US for sixty something dollars the other day. That's a top of the line
> Core
> > 2 Duo, there are only two models that are faster.
>
> It seems like grog is interested in buying a pre-built complete desktop unit and not
> just a CPU.

Thank you, I can read. Maybe he's interested in buying a used desktop and then upgrading the CPU.

S

grog
Send PM

#295515 - 09/11/12 01:49 AM

> Thank you, I can read. Maybe he's interested in buying a used desktop and then

please dont argue or i will beat up both of u

but seriously, i might go for this below, it doesnt seem too bad (to be honest all i wanna run is NARC and downwards... )

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110950209392

Sune
Connected
Send PM

#295520 - 09/11/12 02:24 AM

> > Thank you, I can read. Maybe he's interested in buying a used desktop and then
>
> please dont argue or i will beat up both of u

Yeah you're right. I didn't need to be told what you said though.

> but seriously, i might go for this below, it doesnt seem too bad (to be honest all i
> wanna run is NARC and downwards... )
>
> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110950209392

While it's fast enough to run NARC, it will not run SEGA's Turbo from 1981 at full speed for example. A fast Core 2 Duo will.

I would never buy a PC without knowing what motherboard is in it. They don't mention a video card, could be some crappy old Intel on board video, or worse, it could be SiS or VIA.

S

mesk
@ the arcade
Reged: 03/03/11
Loc: Rhode Island
Send PM

#295521 - 09/11/12 02:35 AM

How much is that American grog about $57 or so dollars? TBH,I wouldnt spend that money on a p4.Really,do yourself a favor and forget the p4.How about this? I realize its double of the other one but its just so much better then that p4

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-Compaq-DC78...=item20c755e26e

grog
Send PM

#295522 - 09/11/12 02:41 AM

> While it's fast enough to run NARC, it will not run
> SEGA's Turbo from 1981 at full speed for example.
> A fast Core 2 Duo will.

eeks didnt know that about turbo, just tried it here with my core 2 duo 2ghz.. it didnt run full speed with that either, so i guess to hell with turbo for now lol

> They don't mention a video card, could be some crappy
> old Intel on board video, or worse, it could be
> SiS or VIA.

i did check that prior, its an ATI Radeon® XPRESS 200, which is very good for me, because it is confirmed working with soft15khz (i will put this pc in a mame cab for use with an arcade monitor or tv)

grog
Send PM

Re: Question about using Pentium 4 HT Processor new [Re: mesk]
#295523 - 09/11/12 02:44 AM

> How much is that American grog about $57 or so dollars? TBH,I wouldnt spend that
> money on a p4.Really,do yourself a favor and forget the p4.How about this? I realize
> its double of the other one but its just so much better then that p4
>
>
> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-Compaq-DC78...=item20c755e26e

thats cool yea but i dont want to spend more than £50, i just need it for a mame cab, running a really stripped down version of winxp 32bit (called microxp)...no virus checker, no internet, no nothing.... (well apart from mame lol)

Sune
Connected
Send PM

#295524 - 09/11/12 02:47 AM

> > While it's fast enough to run NARC, it will not run
> > SEGA's Turbo from 1981 at full speed for example.
> > A fast Core 2 Duo will.
>
> eeks didnt know that about turbo, just tried it here with my core 2 duo 2ghz.. it
> didnt run full speed with that either, so i guess to hell with turbo for now lol
>
> > They don't mention a video card, could be some crappy
> > old Intel on board video, or worse, it could be
> > SiS or VIA.
>
> i did check that prior, its an ATI Radeon® XPRESS 200, which is very good for me,
> because it is confirmed working with soft15khz (i will put this pc in a mame cab for
> use with an arcade monitor or tv)

If you run an older version of MAME on it then you'll be able to play Turbo as well, though not as arcade accurate as it is now. But I don't remember how far back you have to go.

S

grog
Send PM

#295526 - 09/11/12 03:13 AM

hmm, how about a "Intel Pentium D @ 3.2 Ghz"

how much better is that likely to be over a P4 3.4 HT?

EDIT: ooh found this:
Pentium D is a dual core processor, while the Pentium 4 HT is a single core that is capable of running two software threads. More simply put, The Pentium D is 2 people each pulling their own wagons, the Pentium 4 HT is one person pulling 2 wagons with lubricated wheels.
Over all, the Pentium D is better because it is truly dual core, although the Pentium 4 does a great job of trying.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#295529 - 09/11/12 03:51 AM

What's your budget like?

There's a good starter Core i5 setup on Newegg...

http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Number=295136

The promo codes ($35 off total) on the motherboard and CPU end today.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

grog
Send PM

Re: Question about using Pentium 4 HT Processor new [Re: krick]
#295530 - 09/11/12 03:53 AM

> What's your budget like?

pretty low unfortunately

im in uk btw =p

jeremymtc
Shot Maker
Reged: 01/09/07
Loc: Calimammy
Send PM

#295532 - 09/11/12 04:08 AM

> > What's your budget like?
>
> pretty low unfortunately
>
> im in uk btw =p

If you're still set on a cheap-cheap, send me a PM. I have a top of the line P4C 3.4Ghz HT on a high-end Abit mobo with period OCZ Gold DDR and an ATI X1950XT AGP card. This was the bees knees in 2004 or thereabout, and can be yours for the price of postage from the US. It's just the mobo/cpu/ram and vga, no HDDs, optical drives, power supply or case (edit - just remembered that it does have some badass Thermalright air cooling parts that were good for 3.9Ghz back in the day). It would work fine for MAME version .53 or earlier.

Edited by jeremymtc (09/11/12 04:11 AM)

grog
Send PM

Re: Question about using Pentium 4 HT Processor new [Re: jeremymtc]
#295535 - 09/11/12 04:19 AM

> If you're still set on a cheap-cheap, send me a PM

cheers but its ok i will figure something out, thanks tho

better sleep now (will probably dream about intel and amd beating the shit out of each other)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 4695