MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Hannes
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/08/12
Send PM

I NEED SUGGESTIONS FOR MY REVOLVING CONTROL PANEL CAB
#296450 - 09/24/12 10:05 PM Attachment: 20120921_141529.jpg 2165 KB (0 downloads)

I am just about to reverse engineer the that built:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYCXYQGIgY8

Its just in work now and soon I am going to post pics of the progress.

My mame cab will also feature a rotating TV-tube-screen (29") and an active dynamic marquee, done by some of that stretched public displays but lets come back to that later.

What I need you guys for is:

My revolving trommel will have 5 different control-panel-platforms.

What are the needed control-device-configurations?

One of the platforms is dedicated for triple steeringwheels like the Atari Super Sprinter using 3 Grant classic steering wheels connected to a spinner via a ball-bearinged shaft:

http://www.coolairvw.co.uk/Image/298/300/JPG/BBT%20PICTURES-FS-2730.jpeg

http://ready-up.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Super_Sprint1.jpg

The second will have electric actuated 4/8-way joysticks with 7 or 8 buttons but the rest is up to your recommendations.

I think about dual trackballs and dual spinners (for example for pong and so on) and a flight stick (dual for Mech-Games???), probably on the dual spinner platform to play tron.

But what else will I need....

Oh yes...another platform is dedicated for motocycle handlebars.

So you guys see, I really need your advice to get the layout for the 5 platforms done.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Hannes
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: I NEED SUGGESTIONS FOR MY REVOLVING CONTROL PANEL CAB new [Re: Hannes]
#296451 - 09/24/12 10:07 PM

.....the second stretched monitor is for my friend Iuna...she participate on that project and makes all the Solidworks 3D-Renderings for me because she studies industrial design....

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

#296455 - 09/24/12 11:02 PM

That is pretty bad ass! How are the connections made to the controllers? That might be a bigger challenge than figuring out the dimensions, angles, etc.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

#296459 - 09/24/12 11:19 PM

Awesome, another rotator!

checkout millercade, it's my rotating panel cab.

I posted pics of the construct, and some lessons learned. If I ever built a second one, it would be better in a few ways.

Five would be wicked, but I think three covers the bases pretty well...

Given the time I spent on it, I could have knocked out three dedicated cabs in less time... so if floor space is ample (big basement etc), I'd recommend that... but the wow factor with the rotation is pretty fun too, just yesterday we had a crowd at the house, and of course I had to show off my rotation feature.

Hannes
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: I NEED SUGGESTIONS FOR MY REVOLVING CONTROL PANEL CAB new [Re: redk9258]
#296461 - 09/24/12 11:23 PM

Not really...the panels share the places in the I pac/s

For example on panel one I got a Stick and Button

on the next panel I have a trackball with buttons

A
B

I just connect the 1 button and the A button to the the player 1/button 1

The button 2 goes together with the button B on Player 1/buton 2

and so on and on

At the moment we work on the trommels dimensions and shape but soon I need to know what the configurations are...

The flightstick panel for instance will have a lower platform to avoid that the huge sticks colide with the cab during the rotation

redk9258
Regular
Send PM

#296463 - 09/24/12 11:27 PM

How will you connect the wires? You can only turn so many times before it's a tangled mess.

redk9258
Regular
Send PM

Re: I NEED SUGGESTIONS FOR MY REVOLVING CONTROL PANEL CAB new [Re: redk9258]
#296464 - 09/24/12 11:29 PM

I guess you could use something like the horn button on a car uses, but will need many more contacts.

Hannes
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: I NEED SUGGESTIONS FOR MY REVOLVING CONTROL PANEL CAB new [Re: GatKong]
#296466 - 09/24/12 11:32 PM

> Awesome, another rotator!
>
> checkout millercade, it's my rotating panel cab.
>
>

SIRī

of course I know the MILLERCADE and of course I have got inspired by your work....

The playing is only a small part of the hobby for me, I want to get challenged by the build.

I wanted to do even 6 panels but it seems to be geometrical impossible...

Its actually not much of a task, it is just time consuming if you build it really beautifully, what I want to

Your build is indeed awsome and was a big inspiration for my plans. Did you already add the glider-cockpit?

I still need to know what control configurations I need, please guys, enlight me....there my be people that know every game in MAME and there control-properties, but I am none of them

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Send PM

#296472 - 09/25/12 12:00 AM

> I still need to know what control configurations I need, please guys, enlight
> me....there my be people that know every game in MAME and there control-properties,
> but I am none of them

Ah, yes. That's the million dollar question... comes up ALL the time.

Bottom line is... it depends on the games you play and personal preference.

That's no help tho.

If you want absolute dedication divided up into five panels... lemme give this some thought... starting with my three, and then imagining how I'd split off 2 more from that....

First off... steering wheels are huge... they will most certainly be your biggest challenge, or, at a minimum, be the one panel that stops perpetual rotation, just as my yoke panel is the rotation limiting panel. It won't fit under the bezel, making you have to rotate the other way to get to the other two panels... which is a good thing. Your wires will get all twisted to snot otherwise.

My set up:
1. two 4ways/8 ways (switchable), 6 buttons each, and one 4way diagonal
2. tron stick, spinner, trackball and two sets of three buttons
3. starwars yolk yoke, pinball shooter.

The pinball stuff you can put on the sides of any panel, so they wouldn't make sense to split off into a dedicated panel.

If you add steering wheels to the above setup, now your at four panels.

If those steering wheels are analogue pots, they won't work as spinners, still necessitating a spinner panel.

You can use trackballs as a second spinner on any spinner game, so... it makes sense to me to keep spinner and tb on same panel...

If you want analogue sticks, that might make a fifth panel, but the yoke works great as an analogue and vice versa, so you don't NEED both a yoke panel AND an analogue stick panel. Same is true for analogue steering, the yoke and sticks CAN do the job... depends what games you play if you want each dedicated.

Personally, especially given the number of classic 4way games, I'd make the fifth panel a nice simple, uncomplicated dedicated single 4way joy with two buttons.

Hope that helps.

Hannes
MAME Fan
Send PM

#296474 - 09/25/12 12:40 AM Attachment: MAME Screen.jpg 93 KB (0 downloads)

The TBīs and Spinner on the same panels makes sense to me as well, and after I need a flight stick and a spinner at the same time for tron I think that panel could have 2 push/pull spinner, 2 TBīs and 2 flightsticks as I have been told that there are games that need to flightsticks like some Mech-games.

Due to the rotating monitor the cab will have some extra width, like around a meter all together (I added a photoshop-fake I made to see how it would look), so space would be enough.

Are there dual TB-games??? Dual spinner-games seems to exist.

The Steeringwheels are totally beautiful to me, especially since I found that Grant-wheels that are availeable new and perfect from 8,1/2 over 10,1/2 to 12 and what ever inch in diameter, but thats just a personal preference. I plan to make the horn-button active and illuminated....but later to that.
I am not going to add any pinball-control or games, if I am interested in that I build a virtual pinball with a large flatscreen.

What do you mean with analogue-stick, like a modern X-Box or PS? I dont think that I need that, I only go up to the 90īs with the games and only real MAME, no consoles....

A steeingwheel connected to a spinner would work great and is how they worked for Atari back in the days, thats what the guys from Ultimarc.com was telling me.

Like I stated one panel is dedicated to motocycle games like hang on, paperboy and jetski-games. I guess the the handlebars should also move forth and back for some games. There is an moto-cross-bike game in my mind that needed that movement before every hill to jump farer.

do you know something about that?
What is a yoke???
Will I need paddles and rotating joysticks?

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Hannes
MAME Fan
Send PM

#296476 - 09/25/12 12:43 AM

Of course I did not care the rotating trommel in that photoshop work, I just was looking about the active marquee and the oversized width....it looks nice to me, others may see it different.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Send PM

#296485 - 09/25/12 02:24 AM

Quote:

A steeingwheel connected to a spinner would work great and is how they worked for Atari back in the days

Not true.... Atari Night Driver 1976 was an analog steering wheel, for example.

Not to frustrate you, but we haven't even gotten into shifters. Thats a whole other can of worms, because there was no standard.

(Edit: merged my two replies into one)

Evetthing I discussed with you is pure arcade... No console games were in my mind.

I would recommend a little more homework on steering and analoge... to make sure the games you want to play work like you think they do.

Even many old driving games were analoge, so spinners wont work for them at all (well, they might "work" in the sense the game is "playable").

Likewise... "Flight sticks" were analog too... Tron is not a true flightstick, its a digital 8way shaped like a flight stick.

Paddles are not spinners either, they are analoge. Few games use true paddles, and I rarely play them... I skipped paddles altogether, but if I really wanted to try one, my yoke works technically.

A yoke is an analoge steering wheel with a y-axis control as well... eg starwars... Being x AND y it can replace flight sticks (analog flight sticks, not tron-type digital joys that just look like flight sticks).

Edit: a yolk can also serve as an analog steering wheel with an analog gas pedel (y axis)... So imho the yoke is the way to go with maximum versility on limited panels.

If none of this makes sense, google all these terms, google the driving games you like specifically adding "steering control", to get more acquainted before you build your panels. Some spinner steering games used an analoge gas peddle, some digital, so you'll need to consiser that too. Wikipedia completely omits steering type... worthless here. Look at controls.dat or controls.ini files for mame.

Atari's Super Sprinters had 360 steering (spinner) like you're talking about... BUT it also had analog gas pedals, just so you know.

Shifters... We cant even go there except game by game. Digital switch open vs closed, vs multiple switches simultaneously open/closed, gah! There's a reason driving mame cabs aren't as common. Take a look at shifterMame, tries to deal with the shifter issues. What ever you do... don't do this.

The only dual trackball game I can think of is atari football.

Home that helps .

Edit: just to bring it up, because someone will... We haven't even considered 49way joystick types, in part because I chose to ignore those games... You just cant (well with 5 panels maybe you can) build a cab that plays EVERYTHING!

Edited by Gatinho (09/25/12 05:50 AM)

Hannes
MAME Fan
Send PM

#296531 - 09/25/12 08:57 PM

Thanks Sir....

before I am going to post what my research brought today I want to take the chance to thank you guys and especially

GATINHO

for all the informations.

I was in a another (german) forum before and I did get nothing than hate and discouragement.

So this posting is for my tribute to GATINHO but also the others.

Thanks for the help and support

Hannes
MAME Fan
Send PM

#296533 - 09/25/12 09:06 PM Attachment: Digital Schwitch for analoge Pedals.jpg 1089 KB (0 downloads)

As for the problem with the different pedal-possibilities:

After my research today I got the info that an analoge pedal could also used as digital pedal...but it would not solve the problem that - while one game needs a switch on for operation - another needs an interupted circuit to operate.

That for I have the idea to add a microswitch to the analoge pedal.

The idea is that the oridnary microswitch got both status at every position, one pin got a closed circuit when the other got it interupted.

The rest is a matter of configuraton of command.

What do you guys think?

Attachment

Hannes
MAME Fan
Send PM

#296536 - 09/25/12 09:16 PM Attachment: analoge pedal1.jpg 195 KB (0 downloads)

Than I found that:

http://www.arcadeshop.de/Pedale-Lenkrad-Einbaupedal-kurz-pot_665.html

Its an analog pedal thats mount on a flat surface and that gives out an analoge signal....

But pay attention to the drawing...it already got a microswitch, I will write the seller to ask what the digital switch is for, but looks good to me.

Attachment

Hannes
MAME Fan
Send PM

#296608 - 09/27/12 02:48 AM

What happened...no answer anymore?

bodger319
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/23/06
Send PM

#296618 - 09/27/12 05:59 AM

I have bought one of these and it doesnīt already have a microswitch, however the mounting holes are there for you to fit one.
The seller has the item available either with potentiometer or microswitch and I believe it is the same mounting diagram used for both on the website.

Hannes
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: I NEED SUGGESTIONS FOR MY REVOLVING CONTROL PANEL CAB new [Re: bodger319]
#296634 - 09/27/12 01:31 PM

> I have bought one of these and it doesnīt already have a microswitch, however the
> mounting holes are there for you to fit one.
> The seller has the item available either with potentiometer or microswitch and I
> believe it is the same mounting diagram used for both on the website.

Ok, this is an answer that makes sense to me. But its cool to already have the place for the microswitches defined.

At the moment I try to get 270 and 360 steeringwheels in one single mechanism and it seems that there are people who did it more or less good...

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Send PM

#296654 - 09/27/12 06:23 PM

> At the moment I try to get 270 and 360 steeringwheels in one single mechanism and it seems that there are people who did it more or less good...

I'm not aware of that being possible, mechanically.

360 steering wheels are essentially spinners.

270 steering wheels are essentially potentiometers.

IIRC mame allows some games to use digital inputs to simulate analog controls to some degree, by choosing which key increases the steer, and which decreases it... making analog games moderately playable with digital controls, but I've tried in vein to play spy hunter like that and found it worthless... I had to wait two years for my steering yoke to arrive before that game became playable to me.

Just saying'

If driving games are really the priority here, and you have five control panels... make one with 360 wheels, and one with potentiometer wheels.

You had said something about a motorcycle handlebar panel... that handlebar would probably be a potentiometer 270 wheel anyway, so I think you're pretty much there. The decision is what shape that wheel is in... a steering wheel, a handle bar, a yoke, or a fish. If you go yoke, try to go star wars yoke, which gives you a y axis control and several buttons as well. Its what I did.

I have a sub hunt yoke I could part with if you need it... it's identical to the star wars yoke, just a different decal. You can also get a brand new star wars yoke from ram controls but beware... I waited over two years for mine to ship from there... and west controls has brand new ones too but at $500 smackers, they charge a premium price. Correction, they raised their price to $624.

Hannes
MAME Fan
Send PM

#296658 - 09/27/12 06:44 PM

Sorry, I am not a native speaker, what means:

".....I could part with if you need it"?

I am interested in Joke, yes! I would like to transform it the way that I can put a steeringwheel and handlebars on it.

The Y-Axis-Control is also necessery for some Motorcycle-Games as well.

To increase the jump-distance you have to pull the bar before you jump over the hills.

So I am more than grateful if you got a good advice how to come by a joke.

Can I modify the travel or sensity of the potenziometer as the handlebars for the bike games are for sure not 270°...maybe 90 to 120°

As for the flightstick, a analog should also work for Thron as I have the centerposition and a signal as far as I leave the center-position.

Hannes
MAME Fan
Send PM

#296727 - 09/28/12 08:16 PM

Is there anything that speaks against such a Saitek USB-Yoke?
That would be an easy solution....

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 6995