MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Planet Probe
#297634 - 10/17/12 03:36 PM

albolo got a Planet Probe pcb. It should be dumped soon. Hopefully it is still complete.

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

Re: Planet Probe new [Re: Smitdogg]
#297646 - 10/17/12 06:37 PM

Great ! Another pseudo 3D arcade.
P.S. Please change Your avatar... ...am having nightmares since I saw it

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Planet Probe new [Re: CTOJAH]
#297647 - 10/17/12 06:39 PM Attachment: butthole+surfers.jpg 75 KB (0 downloads)

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

Thx - just what I needed ! new [Re: Smitdogg]
#297648 - 10/17/12 06:41 PM

NT

Lewis King
Reged: 12/25/11
Send PM

#297651 - 10/17/12 07:17 PM

That's score is a lie.
Someone as been beaten so hard for the 1st place.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

#297654 - 10/17/12 08:16 PM

>albolo got a Planet Probe pcb.

No company name on screen or pcbs either which explains why it is unknown of which company made the game back then. I wonder if a flyer was ever printed to advertise the game back in 1980s. And two rows of 8-position dip switches to guess/determine dip settings too. Good luck whoever works on that later.

http://unmamed.mameworld.info/non_other80.html#PlanetProbe

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Planet Probe new [Re: gregf]
#297655 - 10/17/12 08:18 PM

According to other sources it's made by a company named TRY.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEET! new [Re: Smitdogg]
#297656 - 10/17/12 08:24 PM

> albolo got a Planet Probe pcb. It should be dumped soon. Hopefully it is still
> complete.

Found thanks to neither CRV or myself - albolo wins the $0.00 reward!
http://gdri.smspower.org/wiki/index.php/Blog:Planet_Probe_%28AC%29

Things we knew (besides the stuff in the above link):
- Kyuukyoku Video Game List (the Japanese book) has an entry for this game in "not officially released / location test or exhibition only" category. (thx Yasu)

- The KLOV and Unmamed info on the game supposedly all come from one super-fan posting as "Bisboch" at MAMEItalia. He remembered playing it in Trieste for all of summer 1985 or 1986. He still remembered the high-score theme music.

- Also, the only published high-score comes from some Italian games magazines of the time, with a high score set in 1985. This other guy's hometown is supposedly Legnano, near Milan, 4 hours away from Trieste. He may not have played it there, however.

- Planet Probe was registered as a trademark. This proves it was a coin-operated game. http://www.trademarkia.com/planet-probe-73509055.html

- Found full address of TRY Corporation in Shinagawa-ku
http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=serial&entry=73509055
Note that it includes their attorney's name, a possible point of contact (until he died in 2000)

- CRV asked a Japanese arcade developer a while back if he remembered where TRY was located, and the response was that they heard it was in Gotanda. Seemed close enough.

But now we know more...

Smitt: ask him to record the theme music so we can see if Bisboch remembered it right

(For onlookers like gregf: my interest in this game is only based upon R. Belmont's challenge to me to find more information on the game when the GDRI article went up :P )

[EDIT] Haze offered up this theory in the forums.bannister.org shoutbox today:

Quote:

IMHO Planet Probe is Kyugo, as are the rest of the games in that driver, they all have a very distinct style to their high score screens. Maybe TRY were one of their potential licensees and they never secured a deal, but IMHO all the games in that driver, of which this will be one, were done by the same company. Skywolf and that have a Yoshi on the high scores at the top.. look at the styling, the fixed brackets around extended names, it's very unique to kyugo.c stuff, they made games for other people... we've already had it confirmed as a gyrodine pinout in the mame italia thread, so I'd be *very* surprised if it's not that driver.

- Stiletto

Edited by Stiletto (10/17/12 09:41 PM)

bodger319
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/23/06
Send PM

Interesting control system.. new [Re: Smitdogg]
#297661 - 10/17/12 10:11 PM

..shown in the second photo.
Looking forward to the photos of the first custom build.

bisboch
Reged: 08/28/06
Loc: Italy
Send PM

Re: SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEET! new [Re: Stiletto]
#297663 - 10/17/12 11:12 PM

Yes. SO sweeet! For years it seemed to me like I had hallucinations - a game remembered by just one person in the world? Even my childhood friends, who played Planet Probe with me, did not remember it. I contacted the Italian record holder on the Net, but it showed no interest in talking about the game.
For me, PP was unforgettable: far from perfect, it still had that mid-eighties Japanese coin-op crunchiness.
The most memorable moment? a hidden target: a black knight which appears only in silhouette against the full moon. And the cute pterodactyl. And the volcano erupting.

So curious about the hi-score music, indeed:)

The Kyugo theory fits quite well. When I first played '99 - The Last War on MAME I immediately thought it had some connection with Planet Probe gameplay-wise, the latter being a more evolved version. A son of son of Phoenix, so to say.

On the other side the TRY Corporation which made Famicom Games seems to have a very different history and design taste, looking at this other gdri page and to their products (Pro Wrestling, Athletic world, Family Trainer).

Ok, I can go back lurking, now, patiently waiting for the dump, the preservation and the nice side effect of seeing the game back in action, fingers crossed!

B.

A Bubble Bobble AC full level hack (and more!) by Bisboch and Aladar: The Lost Cave! Released December 11th, 2012.

stephh
Happy Bonze
Reged: 07/23/06
Send PM

Re: Planet Probe new [Re: gregf]
#297664 - 10/17/12 11:25 PM

> And two rows of 8-position dip switches to guess/determine dip settings too. Good luck whoever works on that later.

If this game fits kyugo.c driver, it will not be that difficult to find what the Dip Switches do ...

Steph from The Ultimate Patchers

Kold666
Lurker
Reged: 10/29/03
Send PM

#297666 - 10/17/12 11:56 PM

> > albolo got a Planet Probe pcb. It should be dumped soon. Hopefully it is still
> > complete.
>
> Found thanks to neither CRV or myself - albolo wins the $0.00 reward!
> http://gdri.smspower.org/wiki/index.php/Blog:Planet_Probe_%28AC%29
>
> Things we knew (besides the stuff in the above link):
> - Kyuukyoku Video Game List (the Japanese book) has an entry for this game in "not
> officially released / location test or exhibition only" category. (thx Yasu)
>
> - The KLOV and Unmamed info on the game supposedly all come from one super-fan
> posting as "Bisboch" at MAMEItalia. He remembered playing it in Trieste for all of
> summer 1985 or 1986. He still remembered the high-score theme music.

This PCB was found in an old arcade warehouse in Caorle, few kilometers from Trieste
The pcb was probably bought in the eighties from ELMAC, which was one of the biggest arcade dealers in italy.
Many rare pcbs found in italy (Rumba Lumber or Birdyi for example) came from ELMAC which, according to some source, had direct connection to japanese manufacturers.

My personal opinion is that the PB pcb is a bootleg, so it must exist also an original one.

Kold666
Lurker
Send PM

#297667 - 10/17/12 11:59 PM

> [EDIT] Haze offered up this theory in the forums.bannister.org shoutbox today:
> IMHO Planet Probe is Kyugo, as are the rest of the games in that driver, they all
> have a very distinct style to their high score screens. Maybe TRY were one of their
> potential licensees and they never secured a deal, but IMHO all the games in that
> driver, of which this will be one, were done by the same company. Skywolf and that
> have a Yoshi on the high scores at the top.. look at the styling, the fixed brackets
> around extended names, it's very unique to kyugo.c stuff, they made games for other
> people... we've already had it confirmed as a gyrodine pinout in the mame italia
> thread, so I'd be *very* surprised if it's not that driver.

http://gdri.smspower.org/wiki/index.php/File:Crux.jpg

Kobayasi is in common

Diet Go Go Fan
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/18/06
Send PM

#297672 - 10/18/12 01:49 AM

Wow! I thought "Planet Probe" was an urban legend, because there were no pictures or company information on the internet. I thought that someone had trouble remembering "Senjyo" or a similar game, and "Planet Probe" was "Created".

Janez
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/25/10
Send PM

Re: SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEET! new [Re: bisboch]
#297674 - 10/18/12 03:11 AM

You are not alone.
I played that game in the summer of 1986 in Lido di Jesolo in Italy.
It was not Senjyo.
It is the last unemulated game I was waiting for.

bisboch
Send PM

map of the Planet Probe failed World Domination Plan new [Re: Janez]
#297689 - 10/18/12 03:20 PM Attachment: Planet Probe World Domintation Plan.png 405 KB (1 downloads)

> You are not alone.
> I played that game in the summer of 1986 in Lido di Jesolo in Italy.
> It was not Senjyo.
> It is the last unemulated game I was waiting for.

Yes, for me too. I think MAME now emulates every single coin-op I played in my life, often in the exact bootleg version too!

Thanks to Kold666 and Janez additional info, we can now have a map of the Planet Probe failed World Domination Plan:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/825/planetprobeworlddominta.png/ (well, it's at the end of my post too)

(Now we know something more: Planet Probe can travel almost only along the Y axis of the world. map )

Hearing Elmac name brings back great memories. Tiziano Tredese, Elmac CEO, is a well known and respected figure in the Italian coin-op world since the Eighties (ie he was celebrated on videogame magazines). Thanks to him and to other great people, Italy had an amazing coin-op age, full of great weird Japanese stuff.

The Planet Probe I used to play in Trieste was distributed by a local dealer called General Giochi Roselli, which had lots of other Elmac-imported boards too.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

A Bubble Bobble AC full level hack (and more!) by Bisboch and Aladar: The Lost Cave! Released December 11th, 2012.

hap
Reged: 12/01/08
Send PM

Re: map of the Planet Probe failed World Domination Plan new [Re: bisboch]
#297749 - 10/19/12 03:11 PM

Sounds great to finally be able to replay the last unemulated game in your teens/childhood! =) (if dumping this goes well)

Personally, not counting new 3D hardware, I don't have any games left unemulated from when I was younger, arcade or computer ones.

CptGuapo
Beat'em-ups Lover
Reged: 03/18/08
Loc: Off to Never Never Land
Send PM

#297768 - 10/19/12 10:00 PM

Stiletto, that's what I call a search...

The World of the Unemulated Arcade Games is fascinating. When I thought the sources were almost depleted, something new comes to surface and then the surprises are great.

Your history is fascinating too, bisboch. A really indispensable part of that whole ancient arcade stuff.

Anyway, I hope to go everything well with the dumping process.

"Mythology is what grownups believe, folklore is what they tell children and religion is both."

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: now that's some searching there new [Re: Stiletto]
#297772 - 10/19/12 10:35 PM

...and a good assembled list as well. It almost reminds me of the great WG info you gathered for me back in early 2002 and as usual thanks for doing that at the time because it allowed me to eventually get flyers and a manual scan online within next couple years afterwards to where more folks now know about 1970s version.

--
>- The KLOV and Unmamed info on the game supposedly all come from one super-fan posting
>as "Bisboch" at MAMEItalia. He remembered playing it in Trieste for all of summer 1985
>or 1986. He still remembered the high-score theme music.
--

That explains that part. So everyone is either here or there [MAMA Italia] crossing fingers that data is readable.

>(For onlookers like gregf: my interest in this game is only based upon R. Belmont's
> challenge to me to find more information on the game when the GDRI article went up :P )

Heh. :-)

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: map of the Planet Probe failed World Domination Plan new [Re: hap]
#297773 - 10/19/12 10:47 PM

>Sounds great to finally be able to replay the last unemulated game in your
>teens/childhood! Personally, not counting new 3D hardware, I don't have any games left
>unemulated from when I was younger, arcade or computer ones.

Consider yourself fortunate there.

For me, it is still in dozens if not about up to 100 or so videogames (non-cpu primarily) that are still not emulated at this time although one exception is Kee Games Quiz Show since it is a cpu based game, but the tape or tapes need to be found and data copied in order for game to be emulated.

bisboch
Send PM

Re: map of the Planet Probe failed World Domination Plan new [Re: gregf]
#297821 - 10/20/12 11:14 PM

I squeezed my brain a little bit and there do are some other coin-ops that I've enjoyed during my youth and still need to be emulated, actually. I wasn't considering the TTL-based ones, take Monaco GP for example. Then I'm still waiting for some neat alternate versions such as the Italian edition of Sente's Trivial Pursuit (which had superb localization for the time). Or Moon Ranger, a bootleg of Moon Patrol which was at some time in MAME but was later removed, dunno why (and this leads OT, I guess)

But for now, after 25 years of waiting, I think that Planet Probe really is going to fulfill my unemulated games need^_^

Lord Nightmare
Speech Synth Berzerker
Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: PA, USA
Send PM

Re: map of the Planet Probe failed World Domination Plan new [Re: bisboch]
#297835 - 10/21/12 10:07 AM

> ... Or Moon Ranger, a bootleg of Moon Patrol which was
> at some time in MAME but was later removed, dunno why (and this leads OT, I guess)

Moon ranger was added back to svn recently.

LN

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"

*=/STARRIDER\=*
MAME Punk
Reged: 02/06/12
Loc: an open field west of a white house with a boarded front door.
Send PM

Re: map of the Planet Probe failed World Domination Plan new [Re: Lord Nightmare]
#297862 - 10/22/12 01:59 AM

There were many games removed back then. I've questioned before about why Golden Castle has not been re-added, but no one gave a reason.

There is no law in the arena

Matty_
Part-time troll
Reged: 01/25/08
Send PM

Re: map of the Planet Probe failed World Domination Plan new [Re: *=/STARRIDER\=*]
#297868 - 10/22/12 02:42 AM

> There were many games removed back then. I've questioned before about why Golden
> Castle has not been re-added, but no one gave a reason.

Haze made a rule that no bootlegs that were title screen hack with no other changes were allowed in MAME. Since then, no-one can decide whether a lot of them existed as real arcade boards or were hacked up on PCs, so they haven’t been re-added.

*=/STARRIDER\=*
MAME Punk
Reged: 02/06/12
Loc: an open field west of a white house with a boarded front door.
Send PM

Re: map of the Planet Probe failed World Domination Plan new [Re: Matty_]
#297874 - 10/22/12 03:02 AM

Honestly, my thoughts on this are how many of them could possibly be hacks made just for MAME?

If that's not what they are then they MUST have been made to run in a cab somewhere.

I was around when MAME started and for some reason it just doesn't make sense to me that there were people talented enough to make such a bootleg for MAME for no other reason than just to do it and they are still unknown.

I'm sure there are a few and I'm sure the person that made it is proud and wants to be known for it.

Edited by *=/STARRIDER\=* (10/22/12 03:29 AM)

There is no law in the arena

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: map of the Planet Probe failed World Domination Plan new [Re: *=/STARRIDER\=*]
#297880 - 10/22/12 03:37 AM

> There were many games removed back then. I've questioned before about why Golden
> Castle has not been re-added, but no one gave a reason.

Rest assured, Golden Castle will be added sooner or later. It's a valid game on PCB and sold at the time and designed for original hardware (based on the japanese version, if I remember correctly, Great Gurianos).

StilettoAdministrator
Send PM

#297881 - 10/22/12 03:40 AM

> I'm sure there are a few and I'm sure the person that made it is proud and wants to
> be known for it.

That GDR version of Phoenix prank effed our trust for life, man.

There, that should be sufficiently vague.

- Stiletto

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: map of the Planet Probe failed World Domination Plan new [Re: Matty_]
#297893 - 10/22/12 08:30 AM

>> There were many games removed back then. I've questioned before about why Golden
>> Castle has not been re-added, but no one gave a reason.

>Haze made a rule that no bootlegs that were title screen hack with no other changes were
>allowed in MAME. Since then, no-one can decide whether a lot of them existed as real
>arcade boards or were hacked up on PCs, so they haven’t been re-added.

I believe the removal (ie: also non-addition) of any of the "title screen hack" pcbs decision was made by Nicola way back then.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: map of the Planet Probe failed World Domination Plan new [Re: Stiletto]
#297898 - 10/22/12 03:31 PM

> > I'm sure there are a few and I'm sure the person that made it is proud and wants to
> > be known for it.
>
> That GDR version of Phoenix prank effed our trust for life, man.

Also the Kingdom Grand Prix... terminology fails me, because it wasn't a prank, it was for-profit.

Kold666
Lurker
Send PM

#298361 - 11/01/12 11:38 AM

2 days ago I met Alberto during a business trip and he lent me the board for the dump.

It's a cross between Senjyo and 99 Last war, but the board is unique design not compatible with 99 last war or Skywolf.
I think it will fit in kyugo.c nevertheless

Bisboch has a great memory, the hiscore music he composed for gdri is the same as the game, only a little too slow in his version.

StilettoAdministrator
Send PM

Re: SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEET! new [Re: Kold666]
#298367 - 11/01/12 04:26 PM

> Bisboch has a great memory, the hiscore music he composed for gdri is the same as the
> game, only a little too slow in his version.

That is amazing, after 25 years or so

- Stiletto

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Planet Probe props new [Re: bisboch]
#298542 - 11/06/12 03:41 AM

>Subject: Re: map of the Planet Probe failed World Domination Plan

Not the same as the arcade world like Asteroids or Pac Man, but it gets recognition for this month.

http://mamedev.emulab.it/haze/

http://mamedev.emulab.it/haze/2012/11/06/italy-gets-a-planet-probe-part-1/

Some future page updating with respective entries is in order some time later.

--
http://gdri.smspower.org/wiki/index.php/Blog:Planet_Probe_%28AC%29

No screenshots. No video. No emulation. Planet Probe is a game that may well and truly be lost to the ages. 'Tis a shame.

http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=13008
--

>such as the Italian edition of Sente's Trivial Pursuit (which had superb localization
> for the time).

Someone will have to do some searching over there for that alternate version.

>I wasn't considering the TTL-based ones, take Monaco GP for example.

With that being a dual board game, it might take longer for that to be emulated compared to if it were a single board game.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 5545