TrevEB
Brokering peace between the collectors and the Mame Community
Reged: 03/11/05
Loc: Oakland, CA
Send PM

Vectrex now available for iOS
#300011 - 12/04/12 10:51 PM

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/vectrex/id543152783?ls=1&mt=8

Very nicely done emulator of the Vectrex though for some reason they skipped Space Wars in the Library.

Star Trek renamed to avoid Paramount.

Get it before someone pulls it for some reason.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Vectrex now available for iOS new [Re: TrevEB]
#300060 - 12/05/12 04:32 PM

> https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/vectrex/id543152783?ls=1&mt=8
>
> Very nicely done emulator of the Vectrex though for some reason they skipped Space
> Wars in the Library.
>
> Star Trek renamed to avoid Paramount.
>
> Get it before someone pulls it for some reason.

So the question is, will it run on a 3GS or not? The description says iPhone 4 is the oldest device it will run on, the the system requirements say 3GS. I got screwed when the Tapper remake first came out, because it wouldn't run on the 1st gen iPod Touch I had at the time, and they didn't bother to put that in the system reqs.

XtraSmiley
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/28/04
Send PM

Re: Vectrex now available for iOS new [Re: DMala]
#300068 - 12/05/12 07:43 PM

> > https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/vectrex/id543152783?ls=1&mt=8
> >
> > Very nicely done emulator of the Vectrex though for some reason they skipped Space
> > Wars in the Library.
> >
> > Star Trek renamed to avoid Paramount.
> >
> > Get it before someone pulls it for some reason.
>
> So the question is, will it run on a 3GS or not? The description says iPhone 4 is the
> oldest device it will run on, the the system requirements say 3GS. I got screwed when
> the Tapper remake first came out, because it wouldn't run on the 1st gen iPod Touch I
> had at the time, and they didn't bother to put that in the system reqs.

Instead of posting this message, why not take the 30 seconds to download the free app and find out? Maybe after you can post to let us know.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#300069 - 12/05/12 08:19 PM

> https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/vectrex/id543152783?ls=1&mt=8
>
> Very nicely done emulator of the Vectrex though for some reason they skipped Space
> Wars in the Library.
>
> Star Trek renamed to avoid Paramount.
>
> Get it before someone pulls it for some reason.

Don't know why it'd be pulled - they have the appropriate permissions for the ROMs and stuff. Anyway, I'll have to download it and check out how the vector simulation is.

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Got it. Just trying it out. new [Re: TrevEB]
#300112 - 12/06/12 06:54 AM

You know it going to piss people off if they pull this just like they did with the MAME4all. lol

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

TrevEB
Send PM

Re: Vectrex now available for iOS new [Re: XtraSmiley]
#300116 - 12/06/12 07:30 AM

Minestorm is free so you can try it out.
You just don't know when someone like say Atari is going to get upset. Pole position is among the carts.
Wish I had picked up vector tanks which was up for years before Atari cried it was to much like Battlezone.
Then there is license ownership changes like Midway to Warner.
For the most part that's been good, but it left a bunch of titles in limbo on the xbox360.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#300135 - 12/06/12 09:12 PM

The emulation is remarkably poor for a commercial single-platform emulator. The audio is a hot mess (particularly the AY-3's noise channel), the only "vector effect" is flicker, and it appears to scale up instead of supporting Retina resolution. Oh, and you can confuse the UI camera to the point of crashing the app if you move 2 fingers at once out in the menus, and twice it completely freaked out in the middle of a game of Minestorm and the display went random junk for several seconds (during which of course I got killed).

All of that stuff should be relatively easy to fix, and there's definitely a lot of potential, so I'll check back after it's updated a few times.

TrevEB
Send PM

Re: Vectrex now available for iOS new [Re: R. Belmont]
#300137 - 12/06/12 10:56 PM

> All of that stuff should be relatively easy to fix,

I bet you there is a paying job there if you wanted it.

I didn't encounter any crashing on the ipad3 but there are issues with the joystick control. It's not really workable in several of the games and it needs to be able to lock down in a chosen spot on screen.
I'll give it a go in the iPad arcade box. That should work well.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#300139 - 12/06/12 11:23 PM

> I didn't encounter any crashing on the ipad3 but there are issues with the joystick
> control. It's not really workable in several of the games and it needs to be able to
> lock down in a chosen spot on screen.
> I'll give it a go in the iPad arcade box. That should work well.

The real Vectrex (I'm lucky enough to own one) has an analog joystick, with a pretty large amount of travel relative to today's console analog sticks. It feels just about perfect for Minestorm and a few other games, but you would never want to play any kind of maze game or platformer with it (see also: Atari 5200). The iCade spec is digital-only on the sticks, so it may well control worse in some games than the on-screen touchpad (which can translate how far you slide your finger into analog movement). Someone (not me) needs to expand the spec

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1506