MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

DU Update: There were no boobies in Gradius. None. I mean not one tittie. That pisses me off!
#300186 - 12/07/12 07:13 PM

We got Otomedius by Konami, which is sort of a boobied-spiritual successor to the Gradius and Parodius series. It has had some sequels/ports to consoles but for whatever reason the original arcade version is very hard to come by. There is some warez rip loader version floating around the webs but obviously that isn't suitable for mame. For mame we need a 1 to 1 copy of the hard drive, a bios chip dump and the full specs. It runs on a PC based system put together by Konami.

http://smitdogg.mameworld.info/pics/otophoto.zip

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: DU Update: There were no boobies in Gradius. None. I mean not one tittie. That pisses me off! new [Re: Smitdogg]
#300188 - 12/07/12 07:20 PM

Nice find! The arcade version is indeed quite rare.

joey35car
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/07/07
Loc: Planet Claire
Send PM

Re: DU Update: There were no boobies in Gradius. None. I mean not one tittie. That pisses me off! new [Re: Smitdogg]
#300190 - 12/07/12 07:43 PM

Looks like it would need a good pc to run at full speed if at all.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: DU Update: There were no boobies in Gradius. None. I mean not one tittie. That pisses me off! new [Re: joey35car]
#300191 - 12/07/12 07:58 PM Attachment: captain_obvious.jpg 34 KB (0 downloads)

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

joey35car
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/07/07
Loc: Planet Claire
Send PM

#300192 - 12/07/12 08:03 PM

Lewis King
Reged: 12/25/11
Send PM

#300201 - 12/07/12 11:07 PM

EX Board Hardware?

I have this game on Arcade PC Loader ready.

Lord Nightmare
Speech Synth Berzerker
Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: PA, USA
Send PM

Re: DU Update: There were no boobies in Gradius. None. I mean not one tittie. That pisses me off! new [Re: Lewis King]
#300202 - 12/07/12 11:18 PM

> EX Board Hardware?
>
> I have this game on Arcade PC Loader ready.

You failed to read the first post:
"There is some warez rip loader version floating around the webs but obviously that isn't suitable for mame."
We already knew that, d5t. That doesn't help us at all.

LN

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"

Lewis King
Send PM

Re: DU Update: There were no boobies in Gradius. None. I mean not one tittie. That pisses me off! new [Re: Lord Nightmare]
#300203 - 12/07/12 11:28 PM

> > EX Board Hardware?
> >
> > I have this game on Arcade PC Loader ready.
>
> You failed to read the first post:
> "There is some warez rip loader version floating around the webs but obviously that
> isn't suitable for mame."
> We already knew that, d5t. That doesn't help us at all.
>
> LN

Yes, i read well very good.
Version - Konami
Game - Otomedius
Board - EX Board Hardware

The game is the same! but different only to be ripped or hacked whatever....

RetroRepair
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/21/09
Send PM

Re: DU Update: There were no boobies in Gradius. None. I mean not one tittie. That pisses me off! new [Re: R. Belmont]
#300207 - 12/08/12 12:01 AM

I've seen the whole cab pop up on Yahoo JP auctions a few times but never the cage set.

Nice catch, maybe we'll get to try it out on MAME in 20 years

http://www.youtube.com/retrorepair

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

#300212 - 12/08/12 01:03 AM

> We got Otomedius by Konami, which is sort of a boobied-spiritual successor to the
> Gradius and Parodius series. It has had some sequels/ports to consoles but for
> whatever reason the original arcade version is very hard to come by. There is some
> warez rip loader version floating around the webs but obviously that isn't suitable
> for mame. For mame we need a 1 to 1 copy of the hard drive, a bios chip dump and the
> full specs. It runs on a PC based system put together by Konami.
>
>
> http://smitdogg.mameworld.info/pics/otophoto.zip

Does it have any protection or encryption on the drive?

Also, random trivia: The artwork for this game was done by the guy who draws the manga Keroro Gunso.

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: DU Update: There were no boobies in Gradius. None. I mean not one tittie. That pisses me off! new [Re: Master O]
#300213 - 12/08/12 01:08 AM

I've never had a hard drive in my possession that was protected from readout. I can't look at data and tell if it's encrypted but it looks like the only protection is with the dongle (and having correct specs like the graphics card). It will boot up to the game without it but before the game starts it looks for it. If it doesn't find it it gives an error and then reboots after a couple of minutes. In mame I am guessing that will be patched through/simulated unless there is a way for us to dump data out of the dongle.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#300214 - 12/08/12 01:12 AM

> gives an error and then reboots after a couple of minutes. In mame I am guessing that
> will be patched through/simulated unless there is a way for us to dump data out of
> the dongle.

Konami dongle checks are traditionally pretty weak. It's possible on most of their late 90s and 2000s games to recreate the contents of the dongle entirely from the game itself (which is indeed how SMF got all the 573 stuff to run).

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

Re: DU Update: There were no boobies in Gradius. None. I mean not one tittie. That pisses me off! new [Re: R. Belmont]
#300215 - 12/08/12 01:49 AM

> > gives an error and then reboots after a couple of minutes. In mame I am guessing
> that
> > will be patched through/simulated unless there is a way for us to dump data out of
> > the dongle.
>
> Konami dongle checks are traditionally pretty weak. It's possible on most of their
> late 90s and 2000s games to recreate the contents of the dongle entirely from the
> game itself (which is indeed how SMF got all the 573 stuff to run).

Any modern day security is pretty weak nowerdays imo. The best type of security is like what Gauntlet used, whereby it did a crucial thing and wouldn't work without it. I mean sure if you tried you could break any security, but my point is that most stuff is a simple dongle with code that's easy to patch out.

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

Naoki
Send PM

Re: DU Update: There were no boobies in Gradius. None. I mean not one tittie. That pisses me off! new [Re: RetroRepair]
#300216 - 12/08/12 01:51 AM

> I've seen the whole cab pop up on Yahoo JP auctions a few times but never the cage
> set.
>
> Nice catch, maybe we'll get to try it out on MAME in 20 years

Or build an ideticle PC (I have too many pentium 4 boards and CPUs for it not to work), patch out the security checks and I/o and go ahead.

I can't imagine it wouldn't be some derivitive of Windows using DirectX input or similar.

----

By gods I've found it!

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

#300218 - 12/08/12 02:38 AM

> I've never had a hard drive in my possession that was protected from readout. I can't
> look at data and tell if it's encrypted but it looks like the only protection is with
> the dongle (and having correct specs like the graphics card). It will boot up to the
> game without it but before the game starts it looks for it. If it doesn't find it it
> gives an error and then reboots after a couple of minutes. In mame I am guessing that
> will be patched through/simulated unless there is a way for us to dump data out of
> the dongle.

So, assuming the drive can be read and there isn't anything out of left field, would it be easy to add to MAME? (Not expecting it to be playable for awhile, though, due to the hardware requirements).

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: DU Update: There were no boobies in Gradius. None. I mean not one tittie. That pisses me off! new [Re: Master O]
#300220 - 12/08/12 02:46 AM

The drive is read and could be chd'd like any other and the bios is read out. It could be added to mame as a skeleton driver like any other PC based game or if the rules change to where mame could run them "direct" then it could run full speed.

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Re: DU Update: There were no boobies in Gradius. None. I mean not one tittie. That pisses me off! new [Re: Lewis King]
#300221 - 12/08/12 03:40 AM

> Yes, i read well very good.
> Version - Konami
> Game - Otomedius
> Board - EX Board Hardware
>
> The game is the same! but different only to be ripped or hacked whatever....

The point is they don't want hacked or what ever by someone else. I trust these guys dump more than theirs. You should trust Smitdogg clean dump as much I do.

By the way. I got rid of Arcade PC with those games. No need for those when those will be added in the future.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

HowardC
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/15/04
Send PM

#300226 - 12/08/12 06:22 AM

> The drive is read and could be chd'd like any other and the bios is read out. It
> could be added to mame as a skeleton driver like any other PC based game or if the
> rules change to where mame could run them "direct" then it could run full speed.

Yeah but those rules aren't going to change anytime soon nor should they. Differences in the pc hardware you actually play the game on can (and does) cause errors and glitches. As I've said previously it's a bit pointless to put them in MAME, at least right now. I mean yeah, put a skeleton driver in, that's good for preservation, but a mame-like offshoot for pc based games would just make more sense.

What these type X games really need are wrappers/emulators to translate the video card calls similar to the glide wrappers we had to use back in the day on early console emulators. They are all XP pc games, but most of them are coded with a specific video card in mind. Some of the Raiden games released for the loader have some serious graphical glitches on certain video cards. One of the Blaz Blue games won't even load on ati cards!

But this isn't a emulation problem or anything, these games are fully compatable xp games, it's just they weren't tested on various hardware for bugs/glitches becuase they didn't need to be.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: DU Update: There were no boobies in Gradius. None. I mean not one tittie. That pisses me off! new [Re: HowardC]
#300229 - 12/08/12 06:34 AM

Different people will have differing ideas on how mame should handle them. When I asked about similar things 10 years ago I was told that sometimes some things are not emulated and are handled in a similar direct way. I don't know the specifics but this would just be going one step further. If the smartest brains at intel haven't even theorized a chip technology for their kids to build that will one day run these under "traditional" emulation methods full speed then I'd say it's time to start thinking outside the emubox and let the frigging CPU run the frigging CPU tasks. Or be a deranged masochist. One of the two.

Naoki
Send PM

#300249 - 12/08/12 05:47 PM

> Different people will have differing ideas on how mame should handle them. When I
> asked about similar things 10 years ago I was told that sometimes some things are not
> emulated and are handled in a similar direct way. I don't know the specifics but this
> would just be going one step further. If the smartest brains at intel haven't even
> theorized a chip technology for their kids to build that will one day run these under
> "traditional" emulation methods full speed then I'd say it's time to start thinking
> outside the emubox and let the frigging CPU run the frigging CPU tasks. Or be a
> deranged masochist. One of the two.

IMO you're not going to lose the sense of how the games worked since all PC arcade games are running the same code, you wouldn't lose acuracy. Only when 86x dies should true emulation be considered.

----

By gods I've found it!

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: DU Update: There were no boobies in Gradius. None. I mean not one tittie. That pisses me off! new [Re: Dullaron]
#300262 - 12/08/12 09:56 PM

Consider this a warning - no more discussion about "PC LOADERS". Everyone arguing for and against it - talk about it another forum, please. The incessant arguing is accomplishing nothing of value. Use the Loony Bin or the War Room forums if you need to discuss sensitive issues.

Nomax
Ryo Hazuki
Reged: 11/19/03
Loc: Belgium
Send PM

Not EX-BOARD new [Re: Lewis King]
#300294 - 12/09/12 03:47 PM

> EX Board Hardware?
>
> I have this game on Arcade PC Loader ready.

It doesn't run on EX-BOARD.

There was an Otomedius PCB for sale some times ago oat Arcade Belgium forums. I didn't buy it because this game needs a touchscreen and lacks content if not connected to e-Amusement network.

Lewis King
Send PM

Re: Not EX-BOARD new [Re: Nomax]
#300303 - 12/09/12 07:25 PM

> > EX Board Hardware?
> >
> > I have this game on Arcade PC Loader ready.
>
> It doesn't run on EX-BOARD.
>
> There was an Otomedius PCB for sale some times ago oat Arcade Belgium forums. I
> didn't buy it because this game needs a touchscreen and lacks content if not
> connected to e-Amusement network.

Yup, you are right.
It´s only e-Amusement Cabinet, and exclusive on Konami.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otomedius
Thanks for the info.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: DU Update: There were no boobies in Gradius. None. I mean not one tittie. That pisses me off! new [Re: HowardC]
#300304 - 12/09/12 07:46 PM

> But this isn't a emulation problem or anything, these games are fully compatable xp
> games, it's just they weren't tested on various hardware for bugs/glitches becuase
> they didn't need to be.

No, they are not "fully compatible XP games". They were designed for specific hardware, just like any other arcade machine. The fact that that hardware is based on a legacy 32-bit PC means nothing in the long run. It's fixed specific hardware and it must be emulated in that configuration for the game to play 100% properly.

And yes, shitty Pentium 4 and Celeron games can be made to run full speed in emulation. An x86-to-x64 DRC is effectively the same thing as just running the code, just with the Ring 0 shit trapped out. VMWare 9 runs a lot of hardware-accelerated PC games and demoscene productions at full framerate.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#300308 - 12/09/12 08:26 PM

> > But this isn't a emulation problem or anything, these games are fully compatable xp
> > games, it's just they weren't tested on various hardware for bugs/glitches becuase
> > they didn't need to be.
>
> No, they are not "fully compatible XP games". They were designed for specific
> hardware, just like any other arcade machine. The fact that that hardware is based on
> a legacy 32-bit PC means nothing in the long run. It's fixed specific hardware and it
> must be emulated in that configuration for the game to play 100% properly.
>
> And yes, shitty Pentium 4 and Celeron games can be made to run full speed in
> emulation. An x86-to-x64 DRC is effectively the same thing as just running the code,
> just with the Ring 0 shit trapped out. VMWare 9 runs a lot of hardware-accelerated PC
> games and demoscene productions at full framerate.

I always thought modern VMWare got a majority of its performance from Intel x86 VT-x, and AMD AMD-V. Guess I was wrong.

- Stiletto

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: DU Update: There were no boobies in Gradius. None. I mean not one tittie. That pisses me off! new [Re: Stiletto]
#300383 - 12/10/12 10:10 PM

> I always thought modern VMWare got a majority of its performance from Intel x86 VT-x,
> and AMD AMD-V. Guess I was wrong.

VT-x and AMD-V were *slower* than a passthrough DRC until very recent chips. Only the Core i-series and later parts actually make it competitive.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 6549