MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

The Muppets Take Manhattan (Merry Christmas from The Dumping Union)
#301210 - 12/23/12 03:57 AM

We got and dumped the Manhattan Deco cassette and dongle.

joey35car
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/07/07
Loc: Planet Claire
Send PM

Re: The Muppets Take Manhattan (Merry Christmas from The Dumping Union) new [Re: Smitdogg]
#301211 - 12/23/12 04:23 AM

That's AWESOME

ranger_lennier
Reged: 04/07/05
Send PM

Re: The Muppets Take Manhattan (Merry Christmas from The Dumping Union) new [Re: Smitdogg]
#301213 - 12/23/12 04:27 AM

Holy crap! I wasn't sure you'd ever find that one. Here's hoping for more good DECO news in the new year.

Excepting non-CPU games, is anything left on the gregf wishlist?

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#301214 - 12/23/12 04:32 AM

Oh wow! That's like a holy grail of DECO Cassettes!

Shoegazr
Rockstar
Reged: 01/21/06
Send PM

#301222 - 12/23/12 06:55 AM

> We got and dumped the Manhattan Deco cassette and dongle.

Very, very, VERY nice! One of my Christmas wishes came true! gregf's gonna love this.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: The Muppets Take Manhattan (Merry Christmas from The Dumping Union) new [Re: ranger_lennier]
#301223 - 12/23/12 10:33 AM

>Excepting non-CPU games, is [there] anything left on the gregf wishlist?

Arcadia's Rockford http://unmamed.mameworld.info/non_other80.html#Rockford

...but if Rockford can't be found while Konami Drum Mania is emulated instead, that will do okay imo. :-)

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: The Muppets Take Manhattan (Merry Christmas from The Dumping Union) new [Re: Shoegazr]
#301224 - 12/23/12 10:44 AM

>> We got and dumped the Manhattan Deco cassette and dongle.

>Very, very, VERY nice! One of my Christmas wishes came true! gregf's gonna love this.

Absolutely. If this gets to a working state with audio being playable, it will make up for the disappointment of when a cab was at the Lakewood CA mall, back in 1981 only for a few months in which the audio couldn't be heard whenever playing the game. Maybe the audio hardware could have broken down, but I suspect the Manhattan cab audio was set very low and intentionally drowned out by nearby Astro Blaster or Asteroids cabs. For the few times I played the game, I never could hear the audio from the Manhattan cab.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

yyyyyeeaaaaaaagggghhhhhhh new [Re: Smitdogg]
#301225 - 12/23/12 10:54 AM

>Re: Manhattan (Merry Christmas from The Dumping Union)

Outstanding and major thanks for making this possible.

I am very impressed when this year consists of preliminary Votrax SC-01 emulation, Taito Sky Destroyer, Last Survivor, Angler Dangler, pong emulation in MAME [tip of iceberg of improvements] while there are tons of PC related improvements on MESS side.

This update will now finally make me have to search for another wish list item in which the words "Manhattan" will not appear in the post.

MrGoodwraith
Barnacle Clinging to the Ship of MAME
Reged: 10/12/05
Send PM

Re: The Muppets Take Manhattan (Merry Christmas from The Dumping Union) new [Re: gregf]
#301226 - 12/23/12 11:16 AM

Arcadia's "Rockford" and "Aaargh!" are on my list also. Other than prototypes (like "Bouncer" and "Moonquake") and titles that we have flyers or records for but no one seems to have seen physical copies of (like Tago's "Conquest", Sente's "Trick Shot", and Nichibutsu's "Constella"), the other remaining undumped titles that seem to have been released in at least limited quantities that I'm most hoping can be found and dumped are:

"Mole Hunter" by Data East
Playchoice-10 "Shatterhand" by Jaleco
"Desert Race" by Moppet Video
"Eeek!" by Shinkai
"Journey" by Stern (not the Midway game)
The unauthorized "Ms. Pac-Man Twin" by Susilu
"Wyvern F0" by Taito

I also hope that the bootleg of "Ms. Pac-Man" with "Pac-Man Plus" graphics eventually surfaces (I played it at one of my local pizza joints) and that another copy of "El Fin del Tiempo" by Niemer can be found and dumped (because I was personally responsible for losing the auction for the only one of those boards that I've ever seen to one of the Japanese black-hole collectors, and he won the PCB for IIRC less than ten dollars).

Edited by MrGoodwraith (12/23/12 11:22 AM)

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: The Muppets Take Manhattan (Merry Christmas from The Dumping Union) new [Re: MrGoodwraith]
#301227 - 12/23/12 11:26 AM

>Arcadia's "Rockford" and "Aaargh!" are on my list also.

We're on same page with the Arcadia stuff.....primarily Rockford. ;-) I bought and enjoyed playing the IBM pc version from the late 1980s.

nzvion
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/24/08
Send PM

#301229 - 12/23/12 01:41 PM

What a great day!
One of the rarest DECO cassette,maybe the second rarest,after DECO KID/FLASH BOY!
Thank you all so much!
MARY CHRISTMAS TO ALL,WISHES FOR HEALTH!

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

Re: The Muppets Take Manhattan (Merry Christmas from The Dumping Union) new [Re: MrGoodwraith]
#301231 - 12/23/12 02:58 PM

> Arcadia's "Rockford" and "Aaargh!" are on my list also. Other than prototypes (like
> "Bouncer" and "Moonquake") and titles that we have flyers or records for but no one
> seems to have seen physical copies of (like Tago's "Conquest", Sente's "Trick Shot",
> and Nichibutsu's "Constella"), the other remaining undumped titles that seem to have
> been released in at least limited quantities that I'm most hoping can be found and
> dumped are:
>
> "Mole Hunter" by Data East
> Playchoice-10 "Shatterhand" by Jaleco
> "Desert Race" by Moppet Video
> "Eeek!" by Shinkai
> "Journey" by Stern (not the Midway game)
> The unauthorized "Ms. Pac-Man Twin" by Susilu
> "Wyvern F0" by Taito
>

Until then...
You can play Shatterhand in NES emulator, Rockford and Aaargh! in Amiga emulator - these are the same games as arcade ones.
Wyvern F0 is dumped (I think ?!) two years ago, but for some reasons is still out of MAME bag.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: The Muppets Take Manhattan (Merry Christmas from The Dumping Union) new [Re: gregf]
#301232 - 12/23/12 03:23 PM

> Absolutely. If this gets to a working state with audio being playable, it will make
> up for the disappointment of when a cab was at the Lakewood CA mall, back in 1981
> only for a few months in which the audio couldn't be heard whenever playing the game.
> Maybe the audio hardware could have broken down, but I suspect the Manhattan cab
> audio was set very low and intentionally drowned out by nearby Astro Blaster or
> Asteroids cabs. For the few times I played the game, I never could hear the audio
> from the Manhattan cab.

I've found that was the case for a great many games. In a crowded enough arcade, it was impossible to hear a game clearly or at all. Loading them up in MAME and hearing them clearly for the first time was something of a revelation.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#301233 - 12/23/12 04:19 PM

> The unauthorized "Ms. Pac-Man Twin" by Susilu

This is #1 on my wishlist.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

Shoegazr
Rockstar
Reged: 01/21/06
Send PM

#301234 - 12/23/12 04:31 PM

> Absolutely. If this gets to a working state with audio being playable, it will make
> up for the disappointment of when a cab was at the Lakewood CA mall, back in 1981
> only for a few months in which the audio couldn't be heard whenever playing the game.
> Maybe the audio hardware could have broken down, but I suspect the Manhattan cab
> audio was set very low and intentionally drowned out by nearby Astro Blaster or
> Asteroids cabs. For the few times I played the game, I never could hear the audio
> from the Manhattan cab.

Funny you mention that, I specifically recall both Wizard of Wor and Astro Blaster being so loud they drowned out the audio of other nearby games at our local arcade.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Haze's Manhattan update (Merry Christmas from The Dumping Union) new [Re: Smitdogg]
#301254 - 12/24/12 01:12 AM

http://mamedev.emulab.it/haze/

http://mamedev.emulab.it/haze/2012/12/23/they-sentenced-me-to-twenty-years-of-boredom/

Examples showing the video emulation problem with Manhattan as described by Haze. Still good to see Manhattan finally emulated/preserved.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: The Muppets Take Manhattan (Merry Christmas from The Dumping Union) new [Re: nzvion]
#301255 - 12/24/12 01:28 AM

>One of the rarest DECO cassette,maybe the second rarest,after DECO KID/FLASH BOY!

If Manhattan and Flash Boy cabs were seated nearby each other back in early 1980s arcades I visited back then, I know my first choice would have been Manhattan.

To me, something about Flash Boy that doesn't seem to be as entertaining compared to Manhattan.

video of Data East's Flash Boy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMRKXwPf71g

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#301258 - 12/24/12 03:02 AM

The Deco Kid game looks slightly more appealing to me than Manhattan though they are both at the top of my wanted list for Deco cassette games. Or at least Manhattan was, now we have it.

I'm pretty sure that Sumo tape we dumped is way more rare than Manhattan or the Deco Kid. Something being in mame or not has nothing to do with rarity.

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

Re: The Muppets Take Manhattan (Merry Christmas from The Dumping Union) new [Re: Shoegazr]
#301262 - 12/24/12 03:25 AM

Besides being over the 100 decibel mark those 2 stuck out more so because they yelled at you in real robot voices. Don't forget to add Gorf to that list too Space Cadet.

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

#301271 - 12/24/12 06:46 AM

>The Deco Kid game looks slightly more appealing to me than Manhattan though they are
>both at the top of my wanted list for Deco cassette games.

As for appearance-wise, I agree, but the gameplay and audio doesn't cut it.

The remaining Deco cassette games that look interesting to me is Hello Gate Ball, and The Tower.

ranger_lennier
Reged: 04/07/05
Send PM

#301288 - 12/24/12 12:34 PM

> > The Deco Kid game looks slightly more appealing to me than Manhattan though they are
> > both at the top of my wanted list for Deco cassette games.
>
> As for appearance-wise, I agree, but the gameplay and audio doesn't cut it.
>
> The remaining Deco cassette games that look interesting to me is Hello Gate Ball,
> and The Tower.

For sheer weirdness, I might go for Tokyo MIE Sinryohiyo. It's some sort of hospital sim if I recall correctly.

Diet Go Go Fan
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/18/06
Send PM

#301327 - 12/25/12 04:58 AM

There is a more advanced version of this game (the first mini-game in the Game Boy Advance game "Kid Paddle". For a long time, I was wanting to see what the "Original" version was like. It astounds me that "Manhattan" was dumped already! I read posts that said it would never be emulated because of the price.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#301472 - 12/27/12 06:47 PM

> We got and dumped the Manhattan Deco cassette and dongle.

Congrats to everyone who participated in this.

- Stiletto

Tornadoboy
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/09/11
Loc: Massachusetts
Send PM

#306701 - 04/02/13 12:22 AM

> > Arcadia's "Rockford" and "Aaargh!" are on my list also.
>
> We're on same page with the Arcadia stuff.....primarily Rockford. ;-) I bought and
> enjoyed playing the IBM pc version from the late 1980s.

As far as Arcadia goes I'm still hoping NY Warriors turns up, that game was awesome on the PC and Amiga.

I'm still smiling after seeing Angler Dangler finally get preserved, that was at the top of my grail list near Bouncer!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
2 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 7080