View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

DaRayu
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/05/13
Send PM

Question about the release date of Street Fighter II and the ROM revisions
#304583 - 02/19/13 03:00 PM

On Wikipedia, it is written that "Street Fighter II - The World Warrior" came out March 1991. Now, there are some things that bother me:

sf2ua has the version number 910206.
sf2ub has the version number 910214.

How can there be two revisions before the actual release date? Does that mean that sf2ua was never published and is just an internal beta version?

Another question: Why does sf2ja (910214), the first Japanese version, have a later date than sf2ua (910206)?

Is there a place where I can see which version was published when and which one is just an internal, unreleased version? (I'd also be interested in such a list for Final Fight, Street Fighter 1 and SF2 Champion Edition.)

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Question about the release date of Street Fighter II and the ROM revisions new [Re: DaRayu]
#304584 - 02/19/13 03:07 PM

They are program build dates, not sale dates. There are changes between region versions that aren't just simple 5 minute text changes so the build dates aren't always the same between regions, and we may not have all the revisions dumped yet.

DaRayu
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Question about the release date of Street Fighter II and the ROM revisions new [Re: Smitdogg]
#304585 - 02/19/13 03:14 PM

So, they developed a revision and sold this unit while at the same time, they already had the next one finished?

I'm asking because I'd like to know which version of "Street Fighter II" was the first one that was published in the United States. Was "sf2ua" (910206) a version that was actually put into arcades? Or was maybe "sf2ub" (910214) the first official release?

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Question about the release date of Street Fighter II and the ROM revisions new [Re: DaRayu]
#304586 - 02/19/13 03:19 PM

It's best not to try and make logical sense out of Capcom's addiction to revisions or to use information about arcade history from Wikipedia as fact. We don't know what the first revision was because Capcom has not released a list of all the revisions on the web. I bet they don't even know anymore.

DaRayu
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Question about the release date of Street Fighter II and the ROM revisions new [Re: Smitdogg]
#304587 - 02/19/13 03:23 PM

Yeah, o.k., Capcom might not know anymore. But maybe the people who sumped sf2ua still know where they got the hardware.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#304589 - 02/19/13 03:36 PM

They got it from the same place we got every other dump. The used game market.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#304595 - 02/19/13 06:36 PM

> So, they developed a revision and sold this unit while at the same time, they already
> had the next one finished?

Yes. It takes several weeks normally between a revision going gold and it appearing in shipping machines. You have to run the new version through QA and then change over the production line (which is not trivial or fast, since it involves shutting down the line temporarily).

Because the MAME dumps are all from real machines obviously both versions did ship to arcades. As for the dates being before the ship date, obviously you want to build x number of machines before launch to cover pre-orders and stragglers and that doesn't happen instantaneously.

DaRayu
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Question about the release date of Street Fighter II and the ROM revisions new [Re: R. Belmont]
#304600 - 02/19/13 11:03 PM

Thanks a lot for the information.

It's still strange that the oldest US version has an earlier date than the oldest Japanese version. Does this mean that the actual abolute ur-version of "Street Fighter II" isn't dumped yet? Or was the US version just the first to receive a date stamp while that value was withheld from the Japanese version for another eight days?

AWJ
Reged: 03/08/05
Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Send PM

#304603 - 02/19/13 11:20 PM

We're missing a ton of Japanese revisions of games; they're generally harder and more expensive to acquire than US and European boards.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Question about the release date of Street Fighter II and the ROM revisions new [Re: AWJ]
#304606 - 02/19/13 11:47 PM

> We're missing a ton of Japanese revisions of games; they're generally harder and more
> expensive to acquire than US and European boards.

Yeah, it's highly likely there's a J-version matching that earlier date, it's just it hasn't been dumped.

Procyon
StrategyWiki.org operator
Reged: 02/07/04
Send PM

Re: Question about the release date of Street Fighter II and the ROM revisions new [Re: R. Belmont]
#305004 - 02/27/13 04:53 PM

I thought it might be worth mentioning another point to bare in mind: It's widely known that Capcom originally developed the Street Fighter series for the American consumer market, not the Japanese consumer market. SF2 was not expected to take off as well as it did in Japan. The idea was that Japanese players preferred long involved role playing adventures, while Americans were more interested in bashing each other's heads in. The first Street Fighter sold better in the US than in Japan, so the sequel was aimed at the US market above all else. It's not inconceivable that they tweaked the US version first until they ironed out the kinks, and then proceeded to make a Japanese revision afterward. I'm not saying I know that they did for a fact, I'm just saying that just because Capcom is a Japanese company, and just because the Street Fighter series gained popularity in Japan, doesn't mean you can assume there should be an earlier Japanese revision.

DaRayu
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Question about the release date of Street Fighter II and the ROM revisions new [Re: Procyon]
#305647 - 03/12/13 03:56 PM

> I thought it might be worth mentioning another point to bare in mind: It's widely
> known that Capcom originally developed the Street Fighter series for the American
> consumer market, not the Japanese consumer market.

In this case, how come that the screen texts are all in Japanese and were (imperfectly) translated to English? Why didn't they just use English texts in the first place like they did with "Street Fighter I"?
Also, if the USA was supposed to be the primary market, why does the whole name switching between Balrog, Vega and M. Bison exist? The name change was necessary so that in the west, the boxer's name doesn't bear any resemblance to Mike Tyson. If the American version is indeed the older one, why didn't they use that change in their Japanese version as well?

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#305659 - 03/12/13 07:03 PM

> In this case, how come that the screen texts are all in Japanese and were
> (imperfectly) translated to English?

Because it was created in Japan.

> Also, if the USA was supposed to be the primary market, why does the whole name
> switching between Balrog, Vega and M. Bison exist?

Game designers & developers aren't lawyers. If you're making a game for the USA market then putting in a character based on Mike Tyson would seem like a brilliant move.

I have no idea why they didn't change it for the Japan release of the game, maybe their legal department weren't scared and they still wanted their Mike Tyson character.

The localisation could easily have been done before the game was even programmed, or at least before it was first released. You can't draw anything about what revisions exist from it.

Capcom USA might have demanded a build before Capcom Japan thought the game was ready, so the first version shipped may have been a USA build. In some cases software isn't so much released as it escapes.

We can't prove that there wasn't an earlier dump, all you can do is try to find one and get it dumped. Good luck with that.

Edited by smf (03/12/13 07:11 PM)

fanddlover10
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/21/16
Send PM

Re: Question about the release date of Street Fighter II and the ROM revisions new [Re: smf]
#355873 - 06/21/16 07:20 PM

> > In this case, how come that the screen texts are all in Japanese and were
> > (imperfectly) translated to English?
>
> Because it was created in Japan.
>
> > Also, if the USA was supposed to be the primary market, why does the whole name
> > switching between Balrog, Vega and M. Bison exist?
>
> Game designers & developers aren't lawyers. If you're making a game for the USA
> market then putting in a character based on Mike Tyson would seem like a brilliant
> move.
>
> I have no idea why they didn't change it for the Japan release of the game, maybe
> their legal department weren't scared and they still wanted their Mike Tyson
> character.
>
> The localisation could easily have been done before the game was even programmed, or
> at least before it was first released. You can't draw anything about what revisions
> exist from it.
>
> Capcom USA might have demanded a build before Capcom Japan thought the game was
> ready, so the first version shipped may have been a USA build. In some cases software
> isn't so much released as it escapes.
>
> We can't prove that there wasn't an earlier dump, all you can do is try to find one
> and get it dumped. Good luck with that.

False. The first version shipped was a Japanese build. It was only after the Japanese version's release that work started on a USA build.

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

Re: Question about the release date of Street Fighter II and the ROM revisions new [Re: fanddlover10]
#355874 - 06/21/16 09:37 PM

Thanks for the reply that's more than 3 years after this was asked. Were you bored and just looked around at old threads?

Edited by Envisaged0ne (06/21/16 09:37 PM)

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
32GB DDR4 RAM

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: Question about the release date of Street Fighter II and the ROM revisions new [Re: Envisaged0ne]
#355877 - 06/21/16 11:44 PM

> Thanks for the reply that's more than 3 years after this was asked. Were you bored
> and just looked around at old threads?

I assumed it was Bart Simo posting.

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

Re: Question about the release date of Street Fighter II and the ROM revisions new [Re: B2K24]
#355878 - 06/21/16 11:50 PM

I think you're right. Esp since his response to the post wasn't relevant to what was being discussed

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
32GB DDR4 RAM

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2259